308: Crisis Theory

2»

Comments

• ray_x03 said:
    It’s really reassuring that even in the future, the bar is so fucking low for mediocre white men that choosing not to rape someone means you’re good enough to rule the world. 

I have a real hard time reconciling the fact that after three seasons with ERW and Dolores, that she sacrificed herself for a white man and now we’re presumably stuck with shitass Aaron Paul who has one facial expression and says every line through his teeth and just generally sucks in everything.
    Woah, Aaron Paul sucks in everything? Dunno about that.
    I’ve never seen anything I’ve liked him in. Maybe that episode of The Price is Right.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    ray_x03 said:
    It’s really reassuring that even in the future, the bar is so fucking low for mediocre white men that choosing not to rape someone means you’re good enough to rule the world. 

I have a real hard time reconciling the fact that after three seasons with ERW and Dolores, that she sacrificed herself for a white man and now we’re presumably stuck with shitass Aaron Paul who has one facial expression and says every line through his teeth and just generally sucks in everything.
    Woah, Aaron Paul sucks in everything? Dunno about that.
    I’ve never seen anything I’ve liked him in. Maybe that episode of The Price is Right.
    Excuse me!?

RyanReeseman
  • edited May 6
    Such a disappointing season...

Season 2 was mostly pretty bad, but at least it had one or two amazing episodes (ep. 4 and ep. 8). Season 3 was just mediocre all the way, and actually pretty bad by the end of it. It’s pretty telling when the most interesting moment of your season finale is the teaser for next season.

As someone suggested, if they wanted to jump forward in time, why not just skip this whole mess of a season? They clearly had nothing to do with some of the characters (poor Jeffrey Wright and Ed Harris).
    I feel like they wanted to do something with Caleb, but it sure didn’t feel like it was worth it. Such a boring character... but hey, at least he didn’t rape the lady robots, so that proves there’s “good” in this world...

Teresa from Concord
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    j0n1c4 said:
    [....] but hey, at least he didn’t rape the girl robots, so that proves there’s “good” in this world...

Giving the writers more credit than they deserve, let's speculate that action got Caleb on Dolores' "good" list.  Then when she read through the Forge, she narrowed her list down further, and when she was out of the park, even further, until Caleb was the best person for what she wanted.

• edited May 6
    Saw this by chance and thought people in this thread might enjoy it. Living Mall in Taipei, which is currently being demolished, had a structure that looked *quite* similar to Rohoboho.  Cc: @Jim ; @A_Ron_Hubbard

https://twitter.com/edenLiao/status/1257640377051344896

Back in its glory days:

OldGriswoldmajjam0770
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited May 7
    The season was fairly mediocre mostly due to lack of coherent world building and motivations, but I still feel more straightforward and effective than Season 2. 
    neilfgks
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Listening to the podcast and feel like I watched a completely different show than @A_Ron_Hubbard. Normally we somewhat align. But some of the story-splaining is way out there. I really thought he’d call bullshit on the plot holes and bad dialog. I guess I finally found a show were we have different opinions. I sort of feel like a baby bird that’s fallen out of its nest  :(
    nealmylifeaskirk
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah

Ummm what? I present you the below scene that proves you so wrong...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=evsttffaWvY

One of the best scenes in the entire series. 
    Killert0astmylifeaskirk
  • edited May 7
    Listening to the podcast and feel like I watched a completely different show than @A_Ron_Hubbard. Normally we somewhat align. But some of the story-splaining is way out there. I really thought he’d call bullshit on the plot holes and bad dialog. I guess I finally found a show were we have different opinions. I sort of feel like a baby bird that’s fallen out of its nest  :(
    There are definitely a lot of inexcusable flaws throughout this season. 
    Having the conversation where Dolores tells Caleb that she’s a host happen offscreen between episodes is one of the stupidest writing decisions I have ever ever seen from any writing staff. 
    Then the constant need for the writers to obfuscate the plot from the viewers is so badly used this season, that you spend a whole season without understanding the motivations of the main characters (eg, Dolores, Maeve, etc.). 
    At this point, this need to constantly be fooling the viewers definitely feels more like crutch than a good feature.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    j0n1c4 said:
    There are definitely a lot of inexcusable flaws throughout this season. 
    Having the conversation where Dolores tells Caleb that she’s a host happen offscreen between episodes is one of the stupidest writing decisions I have ever ever seen from any writing staff. 
    Then the constant need for the writers to obfuscate the plot from the viewers is so badly used this season, that you spend a whole season without understanding the motivations of the main characters (eg, Dolores, Maeve, etc.). 
    At this point, this need to constantly be fooling the viewers definitely feels more like crutch than a good feature.
    While I absolutely agree with most of what you are saying, I disagree about Dolores. She said multiple times this season that she wanted to build a new world for humans and hosts alike. It was going to be hard work in the beginning and people were going to die but it was worth it in the end.

And yeah, I hate when a show robs you of those reveal moments. I absolutely wanted to see Caleb's reaction to her being a host. I also slightly worry that with Halores building up a new host army they are resetting the game a little and season 4 can go back to guessing if every character is a host or not. Fun.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I read the viewership has dropped to less than half since season one. I suspect the numbers to be lower after season three (based on what I’ve read outside this forum) I wonder if HBO will change its mind on future seasons. And if BM will even want to cover in 2 years, or whenever the next season airs. This show is the opposite of GoT where viewership went up (and podcast listeners) every season. 
  • edited May 7
    The live viewership was lower but streaming numbers are good according to hbo. It's getting more viewers watching that way, it's higher than watchmen and the outsider which were both very high for streaming numbers.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Man, this show has really lost me, but I keep coming back. Similar to Season 2, I am going to remember it for its great moments and not great overall season. The William in therapy stuff, the action at the end of the season, the conversation between Maeve and Dolores back in the "park" at the end of the season, the snarky french AI, the Serac back story were all on point. But so much forgettable stuff also. 

I mean, I will probably come back for Season 4 for the visuals and cool flairs that the show has on occasion. Per usual a cool trailer with awesome music will pull me back in. It's like the show is Robo-Hobo and knows what to do to get me back on board. 
    majjam0770
  • Hatorian said:

Ummm what? I present you the below scene that proves you so wrong...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=evsttffaWvY

One of the best scenes in the entire series. 
    LOL
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    Do y'all think they made Clifton Collins' character the last pearl just so they could have the Do-Lawrence pun?
  • Can we call dusty Bernard - ODB? Old Dusty Bernard #wutangforever
    lengmo