ESPN's "The Last Dance" Documentary Series

2»

Comments

• 7 and 8 are finally the ones that I’m hardcore looking forward to again, because much like The Bad Boys doc, The Dream Team doc covered so much of the exact same ground in these last 2. 

We’re up to the point where my knowledge of MJ/The Bulls is just non-existent. I know next to nothing about the time when MJ left, came back, and won 3 more.
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    The video of MJ crying after the 96’ title really crushed me. A part of me wishes they could’ve let him be, but it was such a raw and real moment. I think this is the first time a lot of people had seen the footage with the sound on.
    HatoriancdriveChinaskineilfgks
  • Noel said:
    The video of MJ crying after the 96’ title really crushed me. A part of me wishes they could’ve let him be, but it was such a raw and real moment. I think this is the first time a lot of people had seen the footage with the sound on.
    Absolutely, probably my favorite episode of the series. Side note, when MJ posterized Dikembe Mutombo and gives him the finger wave, one the truly classic MJ badass moments
    Noel
  • I just think it would be metal if MJ included that Dikembe dunk amongst his motivations for showing his superiority.
  • Saw episode 7 last night, and it was awesome. Took on the "suspension" rumor full-on, and yes, it still sounds crazy. 

BTW, it's worth it to watch the version with mature language. Love hearing Jordan curse.
    Noel
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    100% @Noel - that scene put a knot in my throat.

i'll never forget when those Jordan 11's hit the scene and how i just couldn't take my eyes off them. 25 years later watching this documentary that was still the case.

also, MJ's reaction when getting shown an iPad with GP's comments was classic! :D
    Noel
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Chinaski said:
    100% @Noel - that scene put a knot in my throat.

i'll never forget when those Jordan 11's hit the scene and how i just couldn't take my eyes off them. 25 years later watching this documentary that was still the case.

also, MJ's reaction when getting shown an iPad with GP's comments was classic! :D
    I love how MJ looking at the iPad is the great new meme among the basketball and sports world
    Chinaski
  • I love this series. My enjoyment of basketball began with the 90s Knicks. Those Bull's teams tormented me just about every year. Watching some of those highlights opens up old wounds, god damn you Charles Smith. Seeing Ewing always brings a smile to my face. 

MJ is the best of all the time just by how amazing of a competitor he was. He would find some motivation to beat you, and if all else failed he'd make something up. Crazy. I don't think anyone comes close to him. 
    Noel
  • Giovanni said:
    I love this series. My enjoyment of basketball began with the 90s Knicks. Those Bull's teams tormented me just about every year. Watching some of those highlights opens up old wounds, god damn you Charles Smith. Seeing Ewing always brings a smile to my face. 

MJ is the best of all the time just by how amazing of a competitor he was. He would find some motivation to beat you, and if all else failed he'd make something up. Crazy. I don't think anyone comes close to him. 
    I feel for you. I am from NJ and was dating a huge Knicks fan around that time (She went nuts when "The Dunk" happened). I was on the other side, watching, and kept thinking "how are these thugs even in this game?" I was young and they seemed like foils for the "good guys." Oakley, Mason, Harper...Seemed like Detroit wannabes that couldn't score consistently and kept shooting themselves in the foot. Esp Starks and Greg Anthony. I've since matured in my view of basketball and respect that team for the heart it had. And Ewing and Charles Smith. Good guys probably, but they seemed to figuratively drop the ball at the worst times.
    NoelGiovanni
  • I would have run through a wall for Jordan. That shit about Pippen refusing to go into the game with seconds left was infuriating. And then saying he wouldn’t change it if he could do it again. Pippen’s such a strange dude. People always said that Jordan was his psychologist, and I guess we see why. No way he pulls that shit with him there. 
    Noelneilfgksrkcrawf
  • edited May 12
    https://youtu.be/o2eABshYym4

Jordan giving Mutombo the finger wave

Love how Mutombo was brazenly goading MJ
  • I would have run through a wall for Jordan. That shit about Pippen refusing to go into the game with seconds left was infuriating. And then saying he wouldn’t change it if he could do it again. Pippen’s such a strange dude. People always said that Jordan was his psychologist, and I guess we see why. No way he pulls that shit with him there. 

I think Pippen's rationale is more like "i'm not changing the past and my actions" so that's why he's like, yeah, I'd do it the same again.  It clearly bothers him or at least, people's opinions of his actions bother him, so deep down, he would change it if he could I think, he just didn't admit it to everyone.  If it didn't bother him, then he wouldn't really care about it and his emotions would have been different when discussing it.

I definitely found all of the conspiracy stuff interesting that it was addressed.  Not saying I believed it but at the same point, even if true, not like David Stern was going to say "yeah, I secretly suspended him".  Also, I remember hearing that Jordan's father was murdered but was too young to remember the details.  So, basically discovering it was just a car jacking in which the guys decided to shoot him, it's just mind blowing how stupid and idiotic some people can be.  I'm sure they could have just stolen the car and robbed him.  Just pointless and mindless to shoot him.  And then yeah, then to write stories like "Did Jordan's gambling issues cause his father's death".  Just wow!  I'm surprised Jordan didn't really last out and go after some of those media people.  Props to him for deciding that those people are morons who don't know him and are out to get him anyways, so why bother with them.

The baseball stuff was also interesting. Now it's curious to play the "what if" game and had Jordan dedicated himself to baseball as oppose to basketball, what kind of player he could have been.  Clearly his work ethic was not going to be an issue and if he was really starting to show progress, then perhaps he could have been in the majors at some point.

• MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OINgzy3fmLk&t=16s

Why do you hate Kerr so much?

We expected MJ, we expected Scottie, we didn't expect Little Stevie. Those 11 pts. 

How does Rick Smits lose that tip??

LOL

DP and Reggie are the best.
  • Kudos to Karl Malone for sticking around to congratulate the Bulls when they were on the bus.  That takes some class and good sportsmanship to do. 

Also, while I remember Rodman doing the wrestling stuff, I didn't remember that he did while the Finals were actually happening.  I figured he at least waited for the off season.  Can you imagine a player doing that in today's times.  I think SAS's head would actually explode.

Definitely didn't know about Steve Kerr's father.  That's just horrible.

Lastly, while I get what the Pacers were saying about the jump ball, I just can't buy it.  There was 6 1/2 minutes left in the game.  Even if they won the tip and scored a 3, you're only up 6 with a lot of time left.  Now, if it was 1 1/2 minutes left, ok, sure.  But with that much time, that one play wasn't the defining or determining play in that game.

Giovanni
  • Man im sick with nostalgia. ive been listening to the John Tesh NBA on NBC intro, it just makes me smile
    BrooklynMDneilfgks
  • edited May 20
    I am completely unsurprised that so many of Jordan’s former teammates are ripping this documentary. 

My 2 main takeaways from the whole thing:

1. Jordan is unquestionably the greatest of all time, and the 90s Bulls are probably the greatest NBA dynasty of all time.

2. Nobody likes that motherfucker except for his direct family, and we see so little of them that I can’t even say that in full confidence. 

It was bizarre watching him just alienate everyone around him except for his direct security personnel and Ahmad Rashad who he basically had on retainer as a sports journalist to gas him up in the paper whenever he needed it.

This is the same guy that threw away a close 25-year friendship with Charles Barkley because he rightfully criticized his legendarily shitty ownership, of which the only significant thing to come out of so far has been a re-brand back to the Hornets. 

I thought it was telling that he refused to do this documentary for over a decade until he was given full producorial control over the narrative of it. It serves as such a fascinating meta commentary on Jordan as a person and his obsessive need to be in charge of everything around him. 

There’s never going to be another guy like him in sports again.
  • I am completely unsurprised that so many of Jordan’s former teammates are ripping this documentary. 

My 2 main takeaways from the whole thing:

1. Jordan is unquestionably the greatest of all time, and the 90s Bulls are probably the greatest NBA dynasty of all time.

I think Bill Russell and the Celtics would like a word with you on the "probably greatest NBA dynasty of all time" comment.  11 championships in 13 seasons is very difficult to beat (even if someone says that there were fewer teams and less overall talent, he still won and faced harsher conditions that Jordan did).

The teammates thing isn't a total shocker as Jordan admits he was basically an asshole and demanded such a high level from his teammates because Jordan was so obsessed with winning (which drove him to be the greatest).  In addition, when someone like Horace Grant gets called a snitch, of course he's going to comment back.  Or Jordan and his security people claiming that the pizza place deliberately "poisoned" the pizza to make him sick, of course the pizza person is going to comment back telling his version (and in this case, I'll believe the pizza person didn't do anything wrong, way too many other possibilities that could have contributed to Jordan getting sick).

Overall, I enjoyed watching the documentary and getting a little more inside info on things, since I was younger and wasn't paying as close of attention as I would these days, as well as learning new information in general (like about Steve Kerr's father).

• Yeah, I’m not overly impressed with a team winning 11 Championships in 13 seasons when there was like 8-10 teams in the league. Somebody had to win them so good on them for doing it the most, but the level of competition back then to when the Bulls dominated is just incomparable.
  • I'd say that in other leagues that had same amount of teams, you didn't see the same team wining 11 out of 13.  You'd figure at some point things would shift but it didn't.  Plus, you factor in race relations in this country and how Russell was treated and what he had to face as well, I mean, something Jordan never had to deal with on a daily basis.  Plus, traveling conditions and sneakers (I doubt Russell had someone tailoring a shoe brand for him), I mean, there are a lot of other factors that Jordan didn't have to deal with that the old timers did.  But any era is really incomparable to another, things change and new issues appear.