Dark (2017) - Spoilers and discussions

Comments

• Elisa said:
    I’ve been listening to sci tv rewatch podcast. They covered season 1 and are doing a week to week episode pod for season 2. They do a pretty good job. 
    Thanks for the podcast tip! My standards have been set pretty high by Bald Move, so yeah, ‘pretty good’ is apt. I find some of their language problematic: (“prostitute”, “transvestite”) but they are super helpful in just keeping track of all the characters and plot points. 
    MancMattsNino
  • Eine Frau said:
    Elisa said:
    I’ve been listening to sci tv rewatch podcast. They covered season 1 and are doing a week to week episode pod for season 2. They do a pretty good job. 
    Thanks for the podcast tip! My standards have been set pretty high by Bald Move, so yeah, ‘pretty good’ is apt. I find some of their language problematic: (“prostitute”, “transvestite”) but they are super helpful in just keeping track of all the characters and plot points. 
    Yeah same here. J&A&C have definitely spoilt me for TV podcasts. I did find a Dark podcast by 'Mild Fuzz' which was quite entertaining (and already have all episodes out), albeit nowhere near the same level of polish as BM
    Kela15
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    CapeGabe said:
    Just finished Season Two. Wow, Hannah is one cruel crazy bitch. Ulrich gets mentally tortured more than Job the whole series.
    What they did with the "rape" of Catherine really had me all over the place as that evolved.  Hannah just seems unredeemably evil; I'd like to understand her more because it's hard to accept that she is our hero's mother.  

Wait, is he our hero...?  I feel like I need to do a livestream podcast of this to discuss with y'all.  I'm dying to talk about this.
    CapeGabeEine FrauGiovanniKela15
  • Plus anyone who chooses to live in the 50's, especially post war Germany, over today is insane. 
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    The website 25 years later has some great analytical pieces on Dark and get into angst and werschmertz in post war Germany. 
    MFGGiovanni
  • Being sick last week allowed me to binge several shows I'd been wanting to watch. And so I finally caught this one.

And, damn, the hype is real! I had no idea to expect some crazy time travel closed loop storytime, but this show is pretty much everything everyone says it would be. I can't wait to see the end whenever they drop season 3.

German is a great language if you want to make anything sound ominous and dour. Whenever the older characters are moodily grunting thoughts to one another, they have me thinking "Man, this is serious."

Let me echo the thought that Hannah is the worst. Every time I think Jonas is going to make her feel loved and convince her to find the better angel of her nature, she goes and does something utterly shitty. So many of the adults have issues, Katharina is a bully, Ulrich isn't all that far behind Hannah in general shittiness, Regina tends to be generally unpleasant to everyone (somewhat understandably), Aleksander may have murdered a kid and stolen his identity... it's pretty entertaining to watch the town's toxicity constantly undermine anyone making genuine progress. 

I also have to give the show credit for blindsiding me with Egon's death. Given Ulrich's attitude toward the guy, they had me fooled up until about midway through Egon and Claudia's argument. Well done, show.

Finally, as an English speaker, I get strangely amused when English lines sneak into non-English productions. So Ulrich quoting "Pleasure to Kill" to mock 50s Egon made me laugh.
    Eine FrauElisaGiovanni
  • So the BM podcast on Dark never came fruition? Anyone know why?
  • MancMattsMancMatts England
    OH HELL YEAH! Just started my rewatch last week and the season 3 trailer just dropped

'Apocalypse Day' release date confirmed (27-Jun-2020)
    DerlemkeElisaTxSandMan
  • It would be great if we got a BM podcast for the 3rd season, but probably wishful thinking!

I'll start my rewatch soon, any podcast recommendations?
    Elisa
  • OMG! I can't believe the 3rd season is going to be coming out next month! EXCITED! 
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Omg I would so love BM to cover this last season. 
    GiovanniMFG
  • Joe_BearJoe_Bear Boston
    I think they mentioned a good recap for Dark season 1 on a recent lunch, does anyone remember what that was? I loved season one but want to get a refresher before I finally watch season 2. Thanks in advance.
    Joe_Bear said:
    I think they mentioned a good recap for Dark season 1 on a recent lunch, does anyone remember what that was? I loved season one but want to get a refresher before I finally watch season 2. Thanks in advance.
    I went through the exact same thing when season 2 came out last year! It really seems like the show took off after the 2nd season because there’s some really good season 2 recaps, analysis and theories but not really anything for season 1.

I’ve found a passable youtube video which recaps season 1 in chronological order and also a fairly concise a written recap but to be honest, the story is so complicated and the cast so big, I think the best thing is probably a season 1 rewatch if you’ve got time.

Obviously J&A’s Off The Clock podcast was really entertaining but that’s more a review then a recap
    Elisa
    Also, the full trailer for the final season dropped this morning as well and it looks just as bonkers and off the wall that I’d hoped for

MFGGiovanniElisa
  • MFGMFG
    edited June 13
    MancMatts said:
    Also, the full trailer for the final season dropped this morning as well and it looks just as bonkers and off the wall that I’d hoped for

So, so hyped!
    Elisa
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    It’s back and it’s going to be VERRÜCKT!
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    edited June 18
    The Sci-fi TV rewatch podcast covers Dark S1 and S2 by episode.  I normally cruised thru the season then rewatch and listen to each pod in between shows.  They will cover S3 by episode as well.
    GiovanniTxSandMan
  • Elisa said:
    The Sci-fi TV rewatch podcast covers Dark S1 and S2 by episode.  I normally cruised thru the season then rewatch and listen to each pod in between shows.  They will cover S3 by episode as well.

I listened to them based on your suggestion when Season 2 dropped last year and want to say thanks! 

I’m finishing up my rewatch and these guys have been a good companion podcast. I would describe them as a slightly older and more mild version of Jim and A.Ron. Definitely worth a listen
    Elisa
  • To A.Ron's question why it's always kids that are being kidnapped for the tests with the time machine prototype... I think none of the kids were chosen randomly.

For example, I think Yassin was almost certainly kidnapped by Noah in 2019 because Yassin was dating Elizabeth (Noah's future wife) at the time. For others, one can only speculate, so I will.

Erik: if he had not been kidnapped, Bartosz wouldn't have talked the other teenagers into going to the caves to look for Erik's drugs, which ultimately sets the Mikkel-Michael time loop in motion. Also, it is with Erik's cellphone that Noah first gets in touch with Bartosz.

Mads: recall that Regina says to Ulrich, when they meet in her hotel in 2019 in season 1, that Mads always looked out for her and was nice to her when they were kids. I wonder if Mads was kidnapped because if he hadn't, then Regina may have never married Aleksander and given birth to Bartosz (who then, later in his own life becomes Noah's helper, and later still, may become the guy who builds the tunnel together with young Noah back in the 1920s, by some speculative accounts).
    Kela15GiovanniElisa
  • Who else is excited for tomorrow?!

Can't wait.
    MFGElisaMarci
  • I’m going to have to watch that again I think. 
    Elisa
  • My father's day present was a day to watch Dark. I binged the whole thing in a day and absolutely loved it.

I know this a spoiler thread but I'll refrain from any spoilers until more people have had time to watch it. 

I think they managed to wrap every thing up and answer all of the major questions. Quite the accomplishment considering the complexity of the show! The Dark website is great if you want to recap all of the events in a characters arc. 

My big take away is that just about every character in the show was motivated by love. In some situations love for each other. In most instances for their children. A reoccurring theme is how far someone will go to save the life of their loved one. 

I'm hoping to do a rewatch at a slower pace, but overall I'd rate Dark in my top 5 series of all time. I love time travel so if course I'm a little biased, but they pulled it off without any major plot holes and that alone is impressive. Also kudos to the sound track for this show, what a great score! 
    Marci
  • Carl Sagan said, "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." 

H. G. Tannhaus said, "Hold my beer".

The idea that essentially both universes were a machine engineered to roll back time in the Origin universe is crazy. The time travel devices so thoroughly ruined their respective worlds, that the inhabitants were driven to erase their own existence in order to prevent those horrors. How do you bring someone back from the dead? You create these damned existences so that they'll stop at nothing to prevent you from having created them in the first place. 
  • Damn, that was good! I went through it faster than I would have liked because I was anxious to see how it turned out, but I think I'll first let it sink in a while, then rewatch season 3, then maybe just watch the whole thing all over again. I've tried out a couple of different podcasts, and it really makes me appreciate the insightful commentary we get from a good 'ole Bald Move deep dive. I would have loved to hear that for this show.
    GiovanniSchlupp
  • edited June 29
    This is how you look if you binge the last season of dark. (minor spoilers)
    Love the mad energy, but I am not going to do that :-)

GiovanniMarci
  • My take aways:

Never reschedule a meeting with French Delegation on nuclear energy. 

I feel horrible for Woller’s future....
  • A couple of notes on the podcast A.Ron did with Kim Renfro:

The tunnels and the device used by Jonas and Claudia could only move you back or forward 33 years in time. However, the God Particle (big black blob) could take you anywhere you wanted to go, per Adam in Season 2. The mini time balls can also take you to any specific date, as well as to either world.

Also, Kim erred in saying we didn't know who Katherina's father was. He was the guy who called Egon in Season 1 and showed him all the dead sheep. He had the same last name (Albers). 
    MFGGiovanni
  • On the different translations mentioned in A.Ron and Kim's podcast - my take was that the subtitles are the truest translation, but that the dubs are made to best fit the lips of the person talking.

I have nothing to back up that claim, other than I found that the dubbing fit really well and was as distracting as in some other series I've tried to watch.
  • edited July 3
    I am 99% sure there are actually two sets of “subs”. One of them is perhaps the better and more accurate translation, while the other matches the dub. I was messing around with it and that was the conclusion I came to. 

Edit Confirmed, you can see this by using the English subs menu to see the sub and a “closed captioning” version. The difference at least shows up in the early conversation between Adam and Claudia talking about Martha and the Origin (ep 308)
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    I'm a little sad that A.Ron had to go with the dub because that means he missed out on Adam's amazing evil voice.