Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited June 2020
    fidoz said:
    The last 2 days in Houston. New cases = 1100 on Monday and 807 new cases on Tuesday.
    That’s bad right?  I saw on a site that I frequent that Texas had 2300+ new cases in the last 24 hrs.  And previously the 24 hr counts were around 1100ish.  

And now we gotta worry about motherfuckin Cristobal!?! 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Cecily said:
    JaimieT said:
    Update about Covid-19 unemployment benefits.

It took 6 weeks of headache, but my unemployment payments started coming. And it is... A LOT of money. Stay home, fuck yeah I'll stay home, I'll do anything you want rn.

It's $800/week before taxes. Which is more than many people make working FT. So of course now some employers are complaining about the "issue" of workers having choices. There's a lot of positives that will come out of this eventually, IMO. 
    Same, I'm making more money playing Animal Crossing and Skyrim at home than I would be working.  And I'm not even getting as much in benefits as you are.  I am however dealing with a lot of unemployment guilt, the classic symptom of connecting my personal worth to how many billable hours I can offer.

Three years from now you'll be in another job and not care a bit how much you worried about lack of work right now, so might as well live it up! I'm glad your unemployment money is good. 
    FreddyCecily
  • Cecily said:
    JaimieT said:
    Update about Covid-19 unemployment benefits.

It took 6 weeks of headache, but my unemployment payments started coming. And it is... A LOT of money. Stay home, fuck yeah I'll stay home, I'll do anything you want rn.

It's $800/week before taxes. Which is more than many people make working FT. So of course now some employers are complaining about the "issue" of workers having choices. There's a lot of positives that will come out of this eventually, IMO. 
    Same, I'm making more money playing Animal Crossing and Skyrim at home than I would be working.  And I'm not even getting as much in benefits as you are.  I am however dealing with a lot of unemployment guilt, the classic symptom of connecting my personal worth to how many billable hours I can offer.

Hey now, no guilt allowed, if your Skyrim experience is anything like mine was you are very hard at work mining ore and forging daggers. That's good honest labor!
    FreddyFlukesCecily
  • Florida is having a rise in cases (1317 reported yesterday, highest since mid-April), as DeSantis continues to push reopening. Bars and movie theaters can reopen tomorrow, and some of the theme parks are reopening tomorrow. The rest plan to open in July. And the RNC is getting antsy with North Carolina's restrictions and is reportedly shopping for a new location. DeSantis responded that Orlando is a "default yes" on that... so yay... I'm sure they will be really good about wearing masks and social distancing.
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Better day in the Houston area yesterday. ~480 new Covid-19 cases. I would love to see that start a trend but I'm not hopeful. 
    Marci
  • edited June 2020
    This is great. Part one was also pretty great, but it was at least a few weeks ago, which is what, like 100 years ago in 2020 time?

• DeeDee Adelaide
    fidoz said:
    Better day in the Houston area yesterday. ~480 new Covid-19 cases. I would love to see that start a trend but I'm not hopeful. 
    I wonder if the US is still testing at the same level, though. I’d have thought the protesting might impact that. 
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Dee said:
    fidoz said:
    I wonder if the US is still testing at the same level, though. I’d have thought the protesting might impact that. 
    I don't know about other cities but Houston has actually increased testing. They were doing almost none before. The CVS near me just opened a drive thru testing center.
    Dee
    Currently trying to figure out a way to do a birthday party during this ordeal for a soon to be 8 year old this week.
    I think he's all Zoom'd out from school.  A drive-by would be an idea but I also think it might be a cruel tease.  I could imagine him getting emotional from seeing some of his close friends but not being able to have them over and play with them.

I have a close friend whose youngest is having a 2 year old birthday party this weekend also.  So close I'm his oldest son's Godfather sort of close.  I clicked 'maybe' on the reply but honestly we are not going.  I think I'll drop off a gift at their door, but I'm just not ready to mingle with 15 or so people in what will probably be inside their house.

I still mask up when I have to go out, which I limit.  All these states re-opening and unfortunately all the protests really make me worry about more spiking.   
    Dee
    @cdrive I stopped the mask. It got too hot at 85+. But I'll still wear it in the grocery store... maybe.

Can you do something with water, outside? Water for the heat. And still encourage keeping distance?

cdrive
  • You're pretty safe outside as long as you aren't crowded in with people (which is gonna be harder in more densely populated areas, of course - I'm in Boston Metro but a city that's mostly homes and 4-ish unit buildings rather than big apartment blocks). If I'm out for a run or a bike ride I don't wear my mask (I try to remember to have it with me in a pocket though) I just go wide around people. If I'm going to a store, though, mask on before I get out of the car and on the whole time because even in the parking lot I'm gonna be near people. 

I don't remember if it was the CDC or one of the research universities but basically they've said that solo outdoor activities like walking, hiking, running, biking, etc are very low risk. 
  • Yikes. Florida recorded 2,581 new COVID cases yesterday. Every day lately we seem to breaking the previous day's record. Over the last seven days there have been 10,794 new cases. According to the Miami Herald:
    "...new cases in the state had consistently been trending up since mid-May and the trends could not be attributed solely to increases in testing, which had been inconsistent and sometimes declining during that period."
    Lots of places reopened in mid-May and last week, bars, gyms, vacation rentals, movie theaters, and some of the theme parks reopened at partial capacities.

No photo description available

DeeGiovanniBourbonQueen
    edited June 2020
    More Americans lost now in 4 months than the entire amount of brave American soldiers lost in WWI over 4 years.  We’re at 88% ICU capacity here in Harris County. 
    BourbonQueen
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    112,000 dead, 600-1200 new dead every single day, and the US government seems to have just forgotten about it. 
    GiovanniMarci
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    cdrive said:
    More Americans lost now in 4 months than the entire amount of brave American soldiers lost in WWI over 4 years.  We’re at 88% ICU capacity here in Harris County. 
    Taste of Texas just announced they are shutting back down because employees have tested positive. 
    fidoz said:
    cdrive said:
    Taste of Texas just announced they are shutting back down because employees have tested positive. 

I miss Taste of Texas...
    edited June 2020
    I took my Tokyo pals to Taste of Texas. After NASA. That place is great. 
    JaimieT
  • edited June 2020
    Dee said:
    112,000 dead, 600-1200 new dead every single day, and the US government seems to have just forgotten about it. 

Yep. Dealing with a crisis like this is difficult, expensive, requires massive coordination between governmental agencies and state governments, and strong, focused leadership that can grasp both the scientific and economic challenges and come up with plans to get through this. But there's golfing to do and TV to watch and the donors want the workers back on the front lines... and I'm going to have to stop there because this isn't Swizzbold...
    Dee
  • Don't forget that when the majority of people dying are people who would vote against you there is certainly less reason for the government to take it seriously. I'm quite embarrassed by the whole thing.
    MarciDee
  • Ya know what I never heard a public health expert say . . . "We are doing this reopening thing just right!"
    Marci
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    Meanwhile, my girlfriend is planning to take her daughters to Panama City Beach next weekend for an entire week.  She's going with her mother and some of her nieces and nephews.  I am fully opposed to this, but she's made up her mind.  I told her if she wants to go, I won't stop her but she wont be welcome back home until she has self-quarantined elsewhere for 14 days.  She thinks am being unreasonable.  
    MarciDeetom_gnstinson
  • Actual quote from yesterday:
    "If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, if any," the president said Monday during an event for seniors at the White House.

So yeah... this is just going to get worse and worse.

BourbonQueen
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Marci said:
    Actual quote from yesterday:
    "If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, if any," the president said Monday during an event for seniors at the White House.

You would think since olds are a big part of his base he would at least be doing a Boris and telling them to stay home. I mean, you’ve got an election coming up and you’re encouraging the very people who will likely vote for you to go out and possibly die? 
  • You would think so @Dee wouldn’t you? They are also starting up Trump rallies this weekend, which will be hotbeds for coronavirus spread, because it will be a point of pride for them not to wear masks or social distance. It will be the same at the Republican National Convention in August. It seems very counterintuitive to me, but then I like science and logic.
    DeeGiovanni
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    I no longer worry about covid since our president said if we just stop testing it will go away. 
    DeeNoelMarciGiovanni
  • Dee said:
    Marci said:
    Actual quote from yesterday:

You would think since olds are a big part of his base he would at least be doing a Boris and telling them to stay home. I mean, you’ve got an election coming up and you’re encouraging the very people who will likely vote for you to go out and possibly die? 
    Some polls show he is losing some of his support with the 'olds' - this may be why.
    Dee
  • edited June 2020
    Do not fly to Florida, friends! They tested 500 airport employees at a single airport and 260 were positive, but they won't say which airport it is. It's a pretty safe bet that it's Orlando's main airport (MCO) since it's referred to as "Central Florida" and it would have to be a large one to have that many employees. But you don't get to know which one, because reasons? https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/06/16/gov-desantis-shares-latest-update-on-covid-19-after-florida-reports-2783-new-cases/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=wkmg6

IMPORTANT EDIT: This article and the governor’s statements are incorrect.
    500 COVID-19 tests were performed at the Orlando International Airport (MCO), and of those tests, only 2 were positive. The 260 cases reported is the total number of cases confirmed at MCO since mid-March, including 132 airport employees plus 128 cases with traceable connections to MCO employees.

Still, Florida is breaking records almost daily in the number of new cases and it's not strictly because of more testing.

• fidoz said:
    I no longer worry about covid since our president said if we just stop testing it will go away. 
    Did you know that you can’t get pregnant if you don’t take a pregnancy test, and you can’t catch a STD if you don’t get tested for STDs?

I can’t believe all of the lies I was told in Sex Ed.
    fidozGiovanni