Back in business!

Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    I’m not speaking of objective show quality though I’m speaking of what the basics of the show are. TWD is basically the same show it is now that it was in S5 that it was in S3. If you weren’t a fan of the earlier seasons then S9&10 aren’t going to be different enough to like them any more. 
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Alkaid13 said:
    I’m not speaking of objective show quality though I’m speaking of what the basics of the show are. TWD is basically the same show it is now that it was in S5 that it was in S3. If you weren’t a fan of the earlier seasons then S9&10 aren’t going to be different enough to like them any more. 

While it's true if you didn't like the show before the multi-season arc of the Saviors you probably won't like it now, there are, as you noted, a lot of people who dropped during/because of said arc.  Those people might want to give the show another look now.

You might not find them important but with season 9 the show is different in a lot of ways from what came before:

There's a six year time jump in s9e5, for starters. Much of the pre-ZA supplies have been used up, esp. gas and bullets (and evidently reloading supplies as well). The Kingdom collapses. It's a much more tenuous, dire situation for folks trying to make "normal" communities work than it was at this point in the comics.

edited May 2020
    I think if you gave up in the nadir then yeah you might like it more now. If you gave up in the early seasons though it’s just not a show for you and that’s ok. I think my problem with current TWD is in fact their insistence to diverge from comic canon to the point where I’m not really sure why they didn’t just reboot the show instead of dealing with all the baggage of earlier seasons. I don’t know some people enjoy the GoT “anyone can die” mentality but it just leads to too much churn in acting talent. Like at some point this show is just going to be The Walking Daryl co-starring some people who come and go every two seasons. 

Anyways, that’s just my opinion so whatever, back on topic, I’m looking forward to new sketch potential. 
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard Will you guys still follow the original format of The Watching Dead and have a 1-for-1 episode podcast or are you lumping a couple episodes into each cast?

I'm just happy you're back! I'll take what I can get!
  • I hope the guys do recaps and help the ones who jumped off with them get back up to speed. I have no plans to actually watch the 20 episodes or so I’ve missed. But I do want to jump back in with the BM crew. 
    MmmBop
  • Are the podcasts going to be on the old Watching Dead channel, or are they going to be on Bald Move Pulp?

I've heard A. Ron say he's heard the show has gotten better. I don't know who's telling him that because for my money it's worse than ever. The entire Whisperers concept is stupid, it makes no sense whatsoever, and contradicts everything the show has told us about Walkers since Season 1. And despite whatever good will Samantha Morton engenders, she's wandering around in this show sounding like she's in a bad road company production of A Streetcar Named Desire. In short the whole arc has been laughable and there's no reason for "our" main characters to be afraid of them. 

That said, the last 2 or 3 episodes of Season 10 were halfway decent, because they abandoned Hilltop and focused on smaller groups of characters sort of off in the wild like in the earlier seasons. Still, I'm never going to warm up to these newer characters and the show is never going to recover from the loss of so many original characters. It's more like a spin-off show now. 
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    I've heard A. Ron say he's heard the show has gotten better. I don't know who's telling him that because for my money it's worse than ever.
    I don't know who is telling him either, but I and the critics agree (for once) that seasons 9 and 10 are greatly improved over the Saviors seasons.  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_walking_dead

The entire Whisperers concept is stupid, it makes no sense whatsoever, and contradicts everything the show has told us about Walkers since Season 1.
    It's in the comics.  Kind of a mixed bag which did the Whisperers better, the show or the comics, but arguing they don't fit is kind of like saying The Avengers Infinity War arc should not be in the MCU.

Still, I'm never going to warm up to these newer characters and the show is never going to recover from the loss of so many original characters. It's more like a spin-off show now. 
    I recently rewatched TWD s4e1-5, the deadly flu in the prison arc, and while there were great things about that period in the show, it was easy for me to see how the show is better off without Rick and Coral.  I'd argue in general that a zombie show should go through characters because it's a humans vs zombie show, not a superheroes vs zombies show.  Humans get tired, make mistakes, do dumb stuff, etc. etc.
    edited June 2020
    I think TWD’s continued existence is largely dependent on how long they can keep Norman Reedus and Melissa McBride on the paycheck because otherwise their headliner is......Eugene? Gabriel? Some new character that showed up in S9? I know that some people like how refreshing it is that “anyone can die” but the counterpart of that is erasing 10 seasons of character development to be replaced with who exactly? If you really want a rotating cast then make it an anthology show, not a multi-season chronological epic. At some point why bother getting attached to any character??? Also this all implies that killing off Carl and getting rid of Rick and apparently Michonne at this point were all decisions made for the betterment of the story and not just in the moment decisions made to save money, and I don’t think anyone here believes that. Maybe the story is better off for it, but if it is it’s because they lucked into it, not because Gimple et al. planned it that way. Bad processes lead to good results sometimes but unless the AMC executive staff has seen massive upturn lately I still have no faith they won’t just fire Angela Kang at some point and replace her with a crony like they’ve done so many times already. 
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    I think it depends on the writing and the actor as far as who could lead TWD.  I bet a lot of people (not me) would like to see a reluctant Negan in charge, fighting his inner demons to not return to his old style of leadership.

Only killing off Carl was an "in the moment" decision; the actors who play Rick and Michonne made planned exits.

I've thought about an anthology show where each season is the same first few days or months in the ZA, just in a different location.  I think that would get repetitive after the first few, however much fun it would be to see variations of this

There's nothing wrong with getting attached to a character but at the same time that doesn't mean that character has to be in the show for 7 seasons.

Hatorian
  • I mean larger issue is probably TWD shouldn’t have gone on for 10 seasons in general and could have cut out a loooooot of fat. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited June 2020
    Started season 9 tonight as an act of solidarity. Not even a quarter of the way through the first episode and the nonsense has already reared its ugly, poor written head. The only thing that glass floor scene was missing was a fake out bite where it turns out Ezekial's clothes were thick enough to keep zombie teeth from breaking skin and the blood was actually ketchup packets he had in his pockets.

And holy shit! Is that Brett Butler!?  And why does she look like Peter Fonda from Escape from L.A.!?
    Dee
  • I was so psyched when I heard you announce your reviving the Watching Dead while listening to the Watching Westworld podcast. While I certainly understood your bailing after season 8 I soldiered on and really missed your takes, especially after bad scenes or plots. 

Season 9 was a pleasant surprise despite losing the star of the show. 10 a drop off I think but certainly more consistently good than 7 or 8.

Glad to have you back!

PS: I only discovered Westworld because I was wanting to watch another show you covered. MAN am I glad I did so.

• lengmo said:
    I think it depends on the writing and the actor as far as who could lead TWD.  I bet a lot of people (not me) would like to see a reluctant Negan in charge, fighting his inner demons to not return to his old style of leadership.

Only killing off Carl was an "in the moment" decision; the actors who play Rick and Michonne made planned exits.

I've thought about an anthology show where each season is the same first few days or months in the ZA, just in a different location.  I think that would get repetitive after the first few, however much fun it would be to see variations of this

There's nothing wrong with getting attached to a character but at the same time that doesn't mean that character has to be in the show for 7 seasons.

The start of dawn of the dead is so good. I was maybe 17/18 when it came out and it was one of the first R rated movies we went and saw without parents. I actually felt my heart beating when they cut to the scenes around the US. I almost vomited not from being disgusted by the gore but because I was hit so hard right off the bat. It’s arguably in my top 3 with Train to Bushan, Shaun of the Dead and this. 
    lengmo
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Freddy said:
    Started season 9 tonight as an act of solidarity. Not even a quarter of the way through the first episode and the nonsense has already reared its ugly, poor written head.
    Like I said upthread, I recommend starting with s9e8 if you are diving back in.  That's the first episode which feels fully in the new style.  However if you want a show with no nonsense ever, TWD is never going to be the show for you.
  • Just finished the new episode and I can’t explain how happy it made me to have this back in my feed. Liking the level of engagement from J&A and I’m reminded that, if not anything else, TWD can be a good springboard for interesting and lighthearted conversation about society. Also, not sure if this was intentional, but Jim’s deadpan outline of the episode is fantastic, really cracked me up a couple of times.

Happy to have the Watching Dead back!
    MichellelengmoFreddyKela15
  • LOL at the updated cover art.  Well done boys.
    Michelle
  • just got done listening to the 901 cast. Feels like coming home :)

This has probably been answered elsewhere, but what is the release schedule going to look like?
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    I quit after Negan made his grand entry and was glad I did. But then I found out the guys are back on the walking dead train so I felt obligated to catch up. Season 7 and 8 were TRASH but I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed season 9. Won’t start 10 until the guys catch up. 
    Beyond excited for this. 
    lengmo
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    Did @Jim have a bad throat? He sounded different. Glad the lads are back.
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    Yeay you’re back!
  • Great to have you guys back.  I do hope they continue with the political aspects of the world.  I also don’t understand why you just don’t move the saviors to a better location to farm.   
  • lengmo said:

It's in the comics.  Kind of a mixed bag which did the Whisperers better, the show or the comics, but arguing they don't fit is kind of like saying The Avengers Infinity War arc should not be in the MCU.
    There are other things in the comics that didn't make it onto the TV show and vice versa. And that's not really the point. The point is that the entire concept of The Whisperers substantially contradicts the first eight seasons of the show and what it's told us about Walkers. The idea that these people can just put masks over their faces and "fool" Walkers into thinking they're one of them is nonsense if covering oneself, from head to toe, with fresh Walker blood and guts only did the trick for a few minutes. 

And while I can believe some loony sees the Walkers as "the new way" and strives to "live" as they do, I have no idea what would motivate anyone to follow him or her. Especially when they are prone to cut your head off if you so much as look at them sideways. It's not as if they are offering protection or comfort. They're shuffling around all day in Walker herds, and sitting around in the woods eating grubs and worms.

As for why anyone at Hilltop or Alexandria should fear these cartoon character, I'm drawing a blank. The Whisperers don't have magical powers. They aren't doing anything the folks at Hilltop and Alexandria couldn't do themselves if they put on their own Walker face masks and just led the herds in the other direction. Problem solved!

Yes, the entire Saviors saga was poorly written and annoying as hell but I at least understood the Saviors. I simply do not understand The Whisperers. At all. It's all nonsense. It's the kind of thing that might work OK in the comics because it's suitably creepy as a concept, but it just doesn't work in the TV formula given what we've already been told.

I'll be interested to hear what A.Ron and Jim think about all of this, at any rate.
    MmmBop
  • lengmo said:

There are other things in the comics that didn't make it onto the TV show and vice versa. And that's not really the point. The point is that the entire concept of The Whisperers substantially contradicts the first eight seasons of the show and what it's told us about Walkers. The idea that these people can just put masks over their faces and "fool" Walkers into thinking they're one of them is nonsense if covering oneself, from head to toe, with fresh Walker blood and guts only did the trick for a few minutes. 

And while I can believe some loony sees the Walkers as "the new way" and strives to "live" as they do, I have no idea what would motivate anyone to follow him or her. Especially when they are prone to cut your head off if you so much as look at them sideways. It's not as if they are offering protection or comfort. They're shuffling around all day in Walker herds, and sitting around in the woods eating grubs and worms.

As for why anyone at Hilltop or Alexandria should fear these cartoon character, I'm drawing a blank. The Whisperers don't have magical powers. They aren't doing anything the folks at Hilltop and Alexandria couldn't do themselves if they put on their own Walker face masks and just led the herds in the other direction. Problem solved!

Yes, the entire Saviors saga was poorly written and annoying as hell but I at least understood the Saviors. I simply do not understand The Whisperers. At all. It's all nonsense. It's the kind of thing that might work OK in the comics because it's suitably creepy as a concept, but it just doesn't work in the TV formula given what we've already been told.

I'll be interested to hear what A.Ron and Jim think about all of this, at any rate.
    ...This is the same show that had Trash People.

TRASH.  PEOPLE.
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC

The point is that the entire concept of The Whisperers substantially contradicts the first eight seasons of the show and what it's told us about Walkers. The idea that these people can just put masks over their faces and "fool" Walkers into thinking they're one of them is nonsense if covering oneself, from head to toe, with fresh Walker blood and guts only did the trick for a few minutes.
    IIRC in the comics The Whisperers made walker suits.  In the AMC TWD universe, esp. FTWD season 2, a little smear of walker was all it took to pass as a walker.  The show universe has been inconsistent on what allows one to pass as a walker so IMO that makes it more believable that what the Whisperers are doing lets them pass.

In the comics the Whisperers were less cartoonishly cult like and evil, more of a group consciously returning to nature, pack leader and all.  In either version of the group the grubs and worms were for when they couldn't get other food.

In TWD, around the time the Whisperers show up, it's not looking good for the normal groups in the area.  Humanity might be holding on or pulling itself up somewhere else, but locally the normals are struggling. 

In a ZA where normal groups don't tend to last, the appeal of a group, however otherwise weird, which offers to give you what you need to pass among the Z this A is all about, is hard to overstate.  Once in the group folks might decide they made the wrong decision, but the initial appeal is amazing: be able to go wherever you want and be able to control walkers.  No more running in fear of walkers or hoping you can kill all the walkers you encounter before you find enough scraps to survive on for another day. 

A horde is the chaingun or whatever big weapon you like of the ZA.  Walls, buildings can be demolished by a big enough horde.  And Alpha has a very, very, big horde.  I don't think it got the amount of coverage it should have, but there was a distinct revulsion by the normals of the thought of wearing the face/skin of a dead person and of giving up on trying to reconstruct a version of the pre-ZA world.  So it was a clash of ideas beyond being a clash of two groups.  The normals could try to use the horde against the Whisperers but the Whisperers can just blend in with the horde and don't have a real home base to destroy, so a horde isn't much threat to them.

The Whisperers work much better in the comics but there the group has other repulsive characteristics (rape of the weaker by the stronger being the standout one) so still a group to be destroyed rather than joined.  The group in the comics is bad, but one could see there could be variants which retained more of their humanity and were viable alternatives to trying to make a fixed settlement work when a horde or a Negan could come by and wreck the place.  I think after the negative reaction to the Savior seasons, Kang or whomever was afraid of doing a slow burn with the Whisperers, so we got a cartoonish evil cult version of them rushed in and out of the show instead of the comics version.

...This is the same show that had Trash People.

TRASH.  PEOPLE.

I loathed them.  Conceptually, I understand you could have people who were artists before the ZA from a resource-rich, successful group decide they want to live in their own performance art piece, play dress up, make up a way of talking, etc. etc. like an even weirder Burning Man.  But it sucked in the show.

• Does anyone know what time the guys said for episode 8? I’m really looking forward to hearing what they have to say on this one!
    DashEnginejleav382lengmo
  • edited July 2020
    Does anyone know what time the guys said for episode 8? I’m really looking forward to hearing what they have to say on this one!
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm guessing they are combining the review with what could be a very backed up feedback section. They might be taking an extra day or two. 

Also I really hope they continue onto season 10 because I was rewatching over the past week and that mid season 10 fight scene is so fucking awesome visually. I feel like Aaron would love it. 
  • We were holding it so we could add a section about the S10 news that just came out. I'm about to release it!
    TomalexwhithamMichellelengmo
  • edited July 2020
    Worth the wait! The Watching Dead continues to be the best cure for the 2020 summer bummer. Some good stuff and some really stupid stuff to come in future episodes - just how we like it!
    lengmo
  • TribeWarpathTribeWarpath Garrettsville, OH
    Just passing along that I'm getting a 404 error trying to download or listen on the website. 
  • Just passing along that I'm getting a 404 error trying to download or listen on the website. 
    @Jim I'm getting the same issue.