Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    fidoz said:
    Dee said:
    @Hatorian I watched a documentary about the Indianapolis maybe 20 years ago - it was long enough ago that a lot of the men on it were still alive and interviewed. I’d never heard of it before and I am not normally interested in war history, but it really stuck with me. I remember the doctor talking about all these dying men asking him to pass their love on to their wives and families and he was getting choked up because he could no longer remember all their names. It was so sad. 
    I think Dan Carlin has a Hardcore History episode on the Indianapolis as well. 
    Dan just needs to get together with some quality director and do a string of documentaries. I would love to see one on his Prophets of Doom episode cast. 
    BroRad33
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    He does and it’s well worth the listen. Dan Carlin and Robert Shaw are both extremely narrative storytellers. Every time I watch that scene I can picture myself clearly in a salty sea, with my fellow sailors, armed chained together kicking and screaming at sharks. 
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited June 17
    The King Of Staten Island (2020)

From IMDb: "Scott has been a case of arrested development since his firefighter dad died. He spends his days smoking weed and dreaming of being a tattoo artist until events force him to grapple with his grief and take his first steps forward in life."

A solid comedy drama made incredibly poignant by the semi autobiographical angle in relation to Pete Davidson (if you didn't know, his dad was a firefighter who died on 9/11). Must have been a very emotional experience for him to star in this, and he does a great job. There's something weirdly charismatic about that gangly dude.
    Murderbear
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Last movie I HALFWAY saw and what do I think?  Da 5 Bloods.  Started last night and we have about an hour left to go because we started a little late, but holy shit.  Man we need this movie right now. Like right now.  Thank you again, Spike.  And man I fuckin' love Delroy Lindo:

Freddy
    Shirley (2020)

From IMDb: "A famous horror writer finds inspiration for her next book after she and her husband take in a young couple."

Knowing less than nothing about Shirley Jackson, this was a cool and creepy ride. There's more than a touch of creative license but the story is super evocative and interesting, even sexy in parts. An early Best Actress shout for Elisabeth Moss in my opinion.
    Chinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    amyja89 said:
    Shirley (2020)

From IMDb: "A famous horror writer finds inspiration for her next book after she and her husband take in a young couple."

Knowing less than nothing about Shirley Jackson, this was a cool and creepy ride. There's more than a touch of creative license but the story is super evocative and interesting, even sexy in parts. An early Best Actress shout for Elisabeth Moss in my opinion.
    i saw the trailer to this last month and was intrigued. will be checking out sooner than later.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    cdrive said:
    Last movie I HALFWAY saw and what do I think?  Da 5 Bloods.  Started last night and we have about an hour left to go because we started a little late, but holy shit.  Man we need this movie right now. Like right now.  Thank you again, Spike.  And man I fuckin' love Delroy Lindo:

Such an underrated actor. My favorite character in Malcom X, and second favorite in Congo (nobody beats Monroe).
    cdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Freddy said:

Such an underrated actor. My favorite character in Malcom X, and second favorite in Congo (nobody beats Monroe).
    All right we finished Da 5 Bloods last night.  Delroy Lindo HAS TO get an Oscar nomination for this. Has to....

Murderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    The Lost City of Z
    I liked it for the most part but I think it had a little bit of hype built up for me and I didn't get that much enjoyment of it. I don't think it was bad or anything but it felt like too often there was a lot of hand waving of time and effort in his journeys, which I understand is hard to do in a two hour movie, but it was hard to connect with the amount of sacrifices he was making in his life. And no spoilers obviously but the sudden turn with his son sort of came out of left field in a way.

And I think I like Charlie Hunnam but I have a hard time knowing if he is a good actor or not. His character was a genuine person and also spoke very sincerely but it just didn't quite ever feel right to me. And after watching The Lighthouse again recently, Robert Pattinson is so criminally underused in this movie.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    The Lost City of Z
    I liked it for the most part but I think it had a little bit of hype built up for me and I didn't get that much enjoyment of it. I don't think it was bad or anything but it felt like too often there was a lot of hand waving of time and effort in his journeys, which I understand is hard to do in a two hour movie, but it was hard to connect with the amount of sacrifices he was making in his life. And no spoilers obviously but the sudden turn with his son sort of came out of left field in a way.

I felt the same way. I loved the book and obviously you can't fit everything in there into a movie but the details are a huge part of what makes the story interesting. A lot of the book was a modern day retracing of their path which gives it a context you don't normally get in these kinds of stories. They can't really do that part unless he had a film crew with him while writing the book so it makes sense but I did miss it.

Murderbear
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    amyja89 said:
    Shirley (2020)

I put it in my queue but being a huge horror wimp I wasn't sure if I should watch it. 
    fidoz said:
    amyja89 said:
    Shirley (2020)

I put it in my queue but being a huge horror wimp I wasn't sure if I should watch it. 
    I wouldn’t worry about the horror side of things. Shirley being a horror writer is about as ‘horror’ as it gets. The film is much more about mental illness and depression.
    fidoz
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Without realizing it I crossed the 300 movies watched in 2020 threshold yesterday. At least #300 was a good one The Harder They Fall starring Humphrey Bogart. 
    Dee
  • edited June 20
    fidoz said:
    Without realizing it I crossed the 300 movies watched in 2020 threshold yesterday.
    Dude, that's almost half.

• fidozfidoz Houston
    amyja89 said:
    fidoz said:
    amyja89 said:
    Shirley (2020)

I wouldn’t worry about the horror side of things. Shirley being a horror writer is about as ‘horror’ as it gets. The film is much more about mental illness and depression.
    Watched it last night. Lizzy Moss is on top of her game. Michael Stuhlbarg is one of my favorite "That Guys." 

amyja89
    Terminator: Dark Fate. Linda Hamilton really has it out for terminators. Also:

Broke down and dropped 20 bucks to rent King of Staten Island. Really good movie, but definitely not worth 20 bucks. Pete Davidson has won me over as a fan. He basically plays the same character as in Big Time Adolescence (also a good movie), but that's not a bad thing. The real star of the show is Bill Burr. It was awesome seeing him hold his own with the likes of Marisa Tomei and Steve Buscemi.
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Freddy said:
    Broke down and dropped 20 bucks to rent King of Staten Island. Really good movie, but definitely not worth 20 bucks. Pete Davidson has won me over as a fan. He basically plays the same character as in Big Time Adolescence (also a good movie), but that's not a bad thing. The real star of the show is Bill Burr. It was awesome seeing him hold his own with the likes of Marisa Tomei and Steve Buscemi.
    The pool fight scene is great but yeah Big Time Adolescence is just as good and free if you have Hulu.
    Freddy
  • ThegelatokingThegelatoking Houston, TX
    "You should have left" that new Kevin Bacon movie that came out last Thursday.  

Went in expecting a horror movie but it's not scary at all.  It's all suspense and pyschological.  Story was ok but very predictable.  I don't regret watching it but I wanted something else while I was watching.
    cdrive
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Malcolm X A tribute to the controversial black activist and leader of the struggle for black liberation. He hit bottom during his imprisonment in the ’50s, he became a Black Muslim and then a leader in the Nation of Islam. His assassination in 1965 left a legacy of self-determination and racial pride.

Great movie, even better Denzel performance. I can't believe Al Pacino HOOAAAed his way to an Oscars win on Denzel. I only downgraded it a star because I wasn't particularly engaged by the pre-prison telling of his story. 

Netflix
    Freddy
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Saint Jack (1979) 

“PEOPLE MAKE LOVE FOR SO MANY CRAZY REASONS– WHY SHOULDN’T MONEY BE ONE OF THEM?” – THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO SAINT JACK

Jack Flowers is an American hustler trying to make his fortune in 1970s Singapore in small time pimping. His dreams of building a fortune by running a brothel himself and returning to the States is materialized when he is offered the opportunity by the CIA to run a brothel for the R&R activities of U.S. soldiers on leave in Singapore.

I've been listening to the TCM podcast "The Plot Thickens" so I'm on a bit of a Peter Bogdanovich kick. Watched the excellent Saint Jack tonight and now I fee like I need to go visit @Hatorian and see Singapore.  You don't happen to run a brothel for the CIA do you?

Amazon Prime

edited June 24
    Resistance (2020)

From IMDb: "The story of a group of Jewish Boy Scouts who worked with the French Resistance to save the lives of ten thousand orphans during World War II."

The IMDb description weirdly doesn't include the main focus of the film, that it is basically a biopic of the pre-fame years of Marcel Marceau. It is a proficiently put together war drama/early biopic that doesn’t commit any egregious errors, it just feels like there is a much better film to be made about this early and amazing period of Marcel Marceau’s life. Jesse Eisenberg is enjoyable in the picture, but that performance alone isn’t quite enough to make this anything other than ‘meh’. Inspiring subject matter, uninspiring filmmaking.
    JaimieT
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Wounds (2019)

"Disturbing and mysterious things begin to happen to a bartender in New Orleans after he picks up a phone left behind at his bar."

This was....not great. I heard about it on /Film Daily; a couple of that podcasts horror aficionados mentioned enjoying it. I didn't completely hate it. It is a Hulu movie, and probably would've been better as just a 45 minute episode of Creepshow or something. It stars Armie Hammer, Zazie Beetz, and Dakota Johnson. Not that I need horror movies to make sense, but it was like they just threw a ton of creepy stuff at the wall, and there was no connective tissue holding it together. 
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Tarnation (2003) Filmmaker Jonathan Caouette’s documentary on growing up with his schizophrenic mother – a mixture of snapshots, Super-8, answering machine messages, video diaries, early short films, and more – culled from 19 years of his life.

This one took me a few days to get through. It's a tough watch. The mental illness and the abuse are just hard to absorb in one sitting. Johnathan does have a nice artful eye for video and weaved and interesting story about his life but man is this movie like living in someone's nightmare sometimes.

Criterion Channel
    edited June 28
    Fanny Lye Deliver'd (2019)

From IMDb: "Set on an isolated farm in Shropshire in 1657. The story of Fanny Lye, a woman who learns to transcend her oppressive marriage and discover a new world of possibility - albeit at great personal cost. Living a life of Puritan stricture with husband John and young son Arthur, Fanny Lye's world is shaken to its core by the unexpected arrival of two strangers in need, a young couple closely pursued by a ruthless sheriff and his deputy."

This has a super cool and interesting premise, but unfortunately doesn't deliver quite in the way that I wanted it to. It's like a wild 1600s version of Funny Games but something is just a little bit off. For a film essentially about a woman breaking free of her various emotional and physical bonds, there is distinctly not enough Fanny Lye and too much of the male characters in the story.
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (2020) When aspiring musicians Lars and Sigrit are given the opportunity of a lifetime to represent their country at the world’s biggest song competition, they finally have a chance to prove that any dream is a dream worth fighting for.

It's dumb, too long and makes little sense but I'll be damned if I didn't feel good watching it.

Netflix
    bizmarkiefader
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    fidoz said:
    Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (2020) When aspiring musicians Lars and Sigrit are given the opportunity of a lifetime to represent their country at the world’s biggest song competition, they finally have a chance to prove that any dream is a dream worth fighting for.

It's dumb, too long and makes little sense but I'll be damned if I didn't feel good watching it.

Netflix

Yea this could have definitely been 45 minutes shorter but it was fine, basically Pitch Perfect for European pop music. I'm assuming those other musical acts were real Eurovision contestants but either way there is some great singing in this. It was fun to see Dan Stevens do a comedic role but he didn't really have many jokes and he doesn't get to be much of a villain cause almost all the conflict comes from WIll Farrell's character constantly fucking up.
    edited June 30
    Christened my Disney+ with Free Solo (2018). Fucking wild, I can't imagine what this might have felt like to watch on a big cinema or IMAX screen. The scale of those wide shots with him hanging off that rock made my stomach flip.

Amazing physical achievement, but on the other hand I was constantly bothered by the lack of consideration he had for his girlfriend.
    GiovanniMurderbear
    edited June 30
    I watched The Witch last night. Excuse me, The VVitch. Really solid movie, if not dark and uncomfortable. I don't usually go in for horror/suspense affairs, but The VuhVitch came highly recommended from a friend who's taste I trust. Was not disappointed. Definitely one of those rare modern movies that feels completely unique. Also, it stars Dagmer Cleftjaw as the lead. Also known as the guy with the coolest sounding voice ever.

Murderbear
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    If you have Criterion Channel, the Luis Bunuel films are leaving the service tomorrow. I'm trying to knock out as many as I can today.