Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• fidozfidoz Houston
    The Trump boot licking governor of Texas just announced everyone should wear a mask when going out because as he put it the unacceptable rising number of covid cases in Texas. I wonder if the MAGAts will repurpose their racist memes they made about Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo last week when she ordered a mask requirement for Houston.

• This continues to be science vs stupid.
    BourbonQueen
  • ThegelatokingThegelatoking Houston, TX
    JaimieT said:
    It's a great time to be single, have no children and hate your family!
    Introverts unite! I'm all of the above except I don't hate my family but they live half way across the country.
    BourbonQueen
    fidoz said:
    The Trump boot licking governor of Texas just announced everyone should wear a mask when going out because as he put it the unacceptable rising number of covid cases in Texas. I wonder if the MAGAts will repurpose their racist memes they made about Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo last week when she ordered a mask requirement for Houston.

Yup Harris county said for all public services businesses need masks on the same sense as "no shoes, no service".  Haters can go lick boot.  I can't wait to see videos online of people freaking out and business tell them to fuck off.
    BourbonQueen
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    JaimieT said:
    Introverts unite! I'm all of the above except I don't hate my family but they live half way across the country.
    I'm in on this group as well.

I'd really like to live in a modernized castle  larger than the Winchester house, and all the introverts can come and stay in a room (so we'd all have plenty of space to avoid each other).

Then sometimes I want to build a moat , fill it with water and crocs, (and maybe a T-Rex) and live there alone. Maybe with a loyal butler and the odd model... like Bryce Wayne. 
    JaimieT
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    JaimieT said:

Ah, my sarcasm, it ages so well. *kisses fingertips, opens hand*

I don't really hate my family either. But let's just say I've been practicing social distancing for a few years. I *moved* halfway across the country. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    We're 12 or 13 days without a new case, and now have zero active cases in New Scotland!
    DeeHatorianNoelLordByFreddyFlukesJSDCAweeniegirlBourbonQueen
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Cory said:
    We're 12 or 13 days without a new case, and now have zero active cases in New Scotland!
    we're 12-13 days from another possible shutdown in Texas.
    BourbonQueen
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    fidoz said:
    None of those in Dallas area surprise me at all. I was surprised about a couple locations that weren’t on there. Bottled Blonde is the worst and I’ve seen video of people there, almost no distancing. Gaslight too, they suck.
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Noel said:
    fidoz said:
    None of those in Dallas area surprise me at all. I was surprised about a couple locations that weren’t on there. Bottled Blonde is the worst and I’ve seen video of people there, almost no distancing. Gaslight too, they suck.
    The starbucks and 2 of the 3 restaurants down the street from me are closed down from the vid. 
  • Death toll has passed WW1 soldiers. 
    Ben
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    fidoz said:
    Cory said:
    We've done fairly well, for the most part, something like 63 deaths, and 55+ of those were at one long term care facility.
  • JaimieT said:
    The DragonCon 2020 drama is interesting to follow. I had written it off as not happening, but it looks like it might? Something about how the Con will go out of business if they cancel. And anyone following this thread since its inception can guess about whether or not I'll be going (my ticket was bought last year). It's very interesting. It's a microcosm of America as a whole.

Edit: the con is in early September

Wow, I had not heard that @JaimieT. I've never gone, but the community of artists I associate with the most is deeply involved with DragonCon and similar cons, and most have canceled well in advance. I think a lot of cons have or will go out of business, but it's hard to imagine they could pull off a show right now. Quite a few of my artist friends make most of their entire living off cons, and it's been a rough year for them. But almost everyone I know has said they wouldn't take the chance of doing one now even if they could.
    JaimieT
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Marci said:
    JaimieT said:
    The DragonCon 2020 drama is interesting to follow. I had written it off as not happening, but it looks like it might? Something about how the Con will go out of business if they cancel. And anyone following this thread since its inception can guess about whether or not I'll be going (my ticket was bought last year). It's very interesting. It's a microcosm of America as a whole.

Edit: the con is in early September

Wow, I had not heard that @JaimieT. I've never gone, but the community of artists I associate with the most is deeply involved with DragonCon and similar cons, and most have canceled well in advance. I think a lot of cons have or will go out of business, but it's hard to imagine they could pull off a show right now. Quite a few of my artist friends make most of their entire living off cons, and it's been a rough year for them. But almost everyone I know has said they wouldn't take the chance of doing one now even if they could.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what's there, if it happens.  I'm the rare bird where my getting sick really does only affect me, but there's definitely others like me. It's hard to believe the Con will still happen, but 2020 is insanity year. 
    Marci
  • It definitely is. I was quite thrilled to find that Illuxcon announced really early that they wouldn't be doing it in person, but instead they are opening it up for online talks and an online art show. It's a really small con, and pretty specific to fantasy and magical realism artists and collectors, but it's also kind of Mecca for the industry. I went for the first time last year and was super excited to go again before coronavirus. I think their decision was wise, and I hope they will end up making some money. It's usually like $200 for a weekend pass, but they're doing $40 for a much larger series of talks, and people will be able to attend from all over the world now.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited June 2020
    It would be helpful to live in a country that actually took care of it’s citizens during a global pandemic and didn’t force people, like convention owners for instance, to choose between their livelihood and the actual lives of themselves and their patrons. Guess that’s asking too much. 
    NoelMarciBenGiovanni
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Petrol Station permanently closing in my neighborhood was a real serious gut punch.  Was my favorite bar.  Luckily the owner's brewery Brash has it's head above water still, but for how long?  Over 5,000+ cases in TX the last 24 hrs.  Today Texas Children's Hospital started taking in adult patients to deal with the overflow of neighboring hospitals.  Everyone is now being required to mask up , which the MAGAs all around me in my daily life cannot stand.  They all want to blame the young brown democrat lady, Judge Hidalgo, who came in on the Beto blue wave, but not the governor, or president.  Every single mayor in TX told the governor to stop blocking their ability to mandate masks and finally, 2 months too late, he hints at how county judges can do it after blocking our county judge when she first tried in April.  It is beyond frustrating.  Many workplaces are straight up in violation despite the threat of fines.  Mask shaming (for wearing a mask), spreading of misinformation...  I've had to deal with all of it.  I have a tradeshow in November in Vegas I can almost certainly say will be canceled.  Be safe, my Texas brothers.      
    NoelFlukesJaimieTFreddy
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Memorial Herman's covid hospitalizations increased from 400 to 440 overnight. That's a big jump.
  • Florida is driving me nuts too. The governor won't issue a mask requirement and has repeatedly said that under no circumstances will he consider closing again. My county has a "mandatory mask" order with no penalty or enforcement, so it's as good as non-existent. Meanwhile, lots of restaurants and bars here in Orlando and other cities like Jacksonville keep having to close due to outbreaks. Florida keeps doing super sketchy stuff to muddy the waters with the numbers too. The don't count part-time residents if they die here, even if they're snowbirds who spend half the year here. They stopped the medical examiners from reporting numbers so that the only official numbers can come from the state health department. They blocked the names of nursing homes where outbreaks occurred, then when forced to release the names of the facilities, they still masked the number of infections and deaths in them. The governor has insisted that anyone who is having trouble with unemployment benefits is at fault for not filling out the information correctly, in spite of problems so widespread that tens of thousands of people couldn't get paid, and they have had to overhaul the website multiple times. Not a single county has met the criteria for reopening, but yet they continue to lift restrictions and open up as cases rise. And most recently, the health dept. muddied the waters on hospitalization counts by altering the criteria for what they consider "ICU beds." It's absolutely insane.

cdrive said:
    Petrol Station permanently closing in my neighborhood was a real serious gut punch.  Was my favorite bar.  Luckily the owner's brewery Brash has it's head above water still, but for how long?  Over 5,000+ cases in TX the last 24 hrs.  Today Texas Children's Hospital started taking in adult patients to deal with the overflow of neighboring hospitals.  Everyone is now being required to mask up , which the MAGAs all around me in my daily life cannot stand.  They all want to blame the young brown democrat lady, Judge Hidalgo, who came in on the Beto blue wave, but not the governor, or president.  Every single mayor in TX told the governor to stop blocking their ability to mandate masks and finally, 2 months too late, he hints at how county judges can do it after blocking our county judge when she first tried in April.  It is beyond frustrating.  Many workplaces are straight up in violation despite the threat of fines.  Mask shaming (for wearing a mask), spreading of misinformation...  I've had to deal with all of it.  I have a tradeshow in November in Vegas I can almost certainly say will be canceled.  Be safe, my Texas brothers.      
    Bernie's burger buses are gone too.
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    3808 new cases in Houston yesterday. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    fidoz said:
    Houston ICU’s at 97% and will be over capacity in 1 day. The largest medical complex in the world.  I always thought, “Well fuck, we’re in Houston. No fucking way we would ever run out of room.”  Lina might need to start building that temp hospital at NRG again pronto. 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited June 2020
    I drove past an entirely empty temporary facility that can house 20,000 patients. It’s in the downtown Harbor area.

i also went to the doctor to get some meds and he said that was his last day at the office as he’s going to help the government build some type of facility at one of their Hospitals for a month. 

Lastly, I had to head to a My local hospital(different than one the doctor mentioned) for a bill dispute regarding them locking me up for 2 days and charging me a ton of money when I clearly didn’t have Covid or any signs or any of the requirements to possibly have it. That hospital looks like it’s building something too. 

Cases in SG have been down but they are not planning like this is over. In fact they are planning for the exact opposite. That things will be worse. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Come north my friends, and we shall build a great wall of snow and ice and stone to keep the southerners out.
    JaimieTcdriveHatorianBenNoelasmallcatGiovanni
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    cdrive said:
    fidoz said:
    Houston ICU’s at 97% and will be over capacity in 1 day. The largest medical complex in the world.  I always thought, “Well fuck, we’re in Houston. No fucking way we would ever run out of room.”  Lina might need to start building that temp hospital at NRG again pronto. 
    Damn, shout out to my Houston fam. Fortunately Dallas county isn’t doing as bad as y’all. But I fear we’re headed that way. 
    cdriveBourbonQueen
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited June 2020
    My tiny-ish little county had 9 new cases reported today.  This is the highest number since April 2, when a group of international travelers were all reported as having tested positive.   They're mostly all from contact with a known case.  Our county has started to reopen and I feel like people are getting lax with mask wearing and safety precautions.  Second wave, meet Humboldt County. :(
    fidoz said:
    Damn.  That's a lot.  Now I feel bad about mentioning our 9.  Please stay safe.
  • fidoz said:
    Cory said:
    Yeah, at this stage of increase it could get real ugly real fast.  
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    fidoz said:
    Cory said:
    Yeah, at this stage of increase it could get real ugly real fast.  
    It’s going to happen for Texas, I feel like it’s just a matter of time. Abbott has been terrible at handling this. City and county officials have had to step up to try and handle the situation as best they can. But it’s all going to mean nothing if the governor isn’t the leader that he’s supposed to be. Look at what your state is going through and care about it.
  • We're down under 200 a day here in Massachusetts, 14 new cases in my county (population 700k), 0 in my town (population 35k) 7 miles south of Boston. We shut down hard and early, had 14 day quarantines for people coming from out of state since the beginning (not mandatory, but suggested), masks required everywhere, and only opened limited capacity non-essential retail a couple weeks ago. It sucked, but it looks like it worked. I just hope we can keep the numbers down if people travel here from other states (although the nice thing about Mass is that we're surround either by states that took it seriously or more rural states where the virus didn't spread well). 

I would hope this would make people realize that science is real, doctors are real, climate change is real, and listening to experts leads to better results, but I won't hold my breath. 
    Noel