RIP Those Who Died in 2020

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Fred Willard! Noooooooooooooo!!!!

Wha happen!?!?
  • Lynn Shelton passed.  She directed Your Sister's Sister, a Mad Men episode, and some other high-profile gigs.  She did a lot of work with her partner Marc Maron in recent years.  Might not make many headlines, but that's a bummer and real loss.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Watched Best in Show tonight in honor of Fred. Can't someone who sucks die for once
    cdriveMurderbear
    I once got fired from a job in a Fred Willard-related way.  
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    cdrive said:
    Story please  ;)
    Murderbear
    edited May 17
    cdrive said:
    Story please  ;)
    2003, I was 23 and my then gf now wife and I just moved in together in our first apt in the Museum District of Houston. I was temping as a records clerk at this big settlement firm for botched bewb jobs. (They were all botched back then when they straight injected silicone in without a sealed pouch.) Half my coworkers were permanent employees including my manager.

So the head CEO lady said she was going to take a leave for some time. Our records dept had a group email talking about it.  So my weird silly ass assumes everyone is familiar with A Mighty Wind when of course no one is.  I replied all “Wha happen!?” and my manager apparently thought I was making fun of how she had this previous reputation for spelling things wrong.  I was only there 6 months and didn’t know this was a thing.  Got a call from the temp agency saying that was the reason. I honestly think she had a crush on me too.  

It was 2 weeks before Christmas.  Luckily my then gf now wife got me a job at her place in healthcare which would be my full time gig while full time returning to school with tuition reimbursement, so in a way me being a Fred Willard dumbass turned out for the good.  
    Teresa from ConcordMurderbear
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Anyone who loves Carl Reiner and just cool heartwarming stories in general should read this twitter thread.
    https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/status/1278063982767738882?s=20
    MurderbearMichelleDoctor_Nick
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited July 1
    I love this episode of Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee.  Jerry's guests are Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner, bff's for 70 years. :heart:
    https://www.netflix.com/watch/80181891?trackId=14277283&tctx=0%2C4%2C85862396-e9df-4aeb-99fa-435e755a271a-1017606%2C%2C%2C
    Doctor_Nick
  • Grant Imahara of Mythbusters fame died suddenly of a brain aneurysm. He was only 49 years old.

Just tragic.

Flukes
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    2020 is a fucking nightmare, Jesus. Naya Rivera’s body has been found too. :-(

(I am shocked he is 49 - I thought he was in his early 20s in Mythbusters.) 
    We lost one of my cousins today.  He was found this evening in his home.  We don't know the cause yet.
    He wasn't a celebrity, but he was a good guy and loved by everyone who knew him.  He and I had just had a conversation not long ago about our family, reminiscing about when we were kids and how much we miss our grandmother.  I hope he's resting peacefully with her and his dad now.

Can this year just end, already.

amyja89MurderbearNoelA_Ron_Hubbard
  • Michelle said:
    We lost one of my cousins today.  He was found this evening in his home.  We don't know the cause yet.
    He wasn't a celebrity, but he was a good guy and loved by everyone who knew him.  He and I had just had a conversation not long ago about our family, reminiscing about when we were kids and how much we miss our grandmother.  I hope he's resting peacefully with her and his dad now.

Can this year just end, already.

I'm very sorry for your loss. 
    Michelle
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    The Naya Rivera news is so sad. I was really into the first couple of seasons of Glee and she was always a scene stealer as Santana.

The officials are saying that she and her son were in the water with the boat unanchored, and it started to drift away from them pretty fast. She used all her energy to swim and get him back on the boat. Apparently when questioned the said his mom gave him a boost on the boat and then slipped under and didn't come back up. Just awful.
    edited July 14
    I'm very sorry for your loss. 
    Thank you. :heart:
    @Michelle I'm so sorry for you and your family.  
    Michelle
    edited July 14
    cdrive said:
    Thank you. :heart:

Sorry all, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.
    jluzaniaNoel
  • Sorry for your loss Michelle. :( And RIP Grant Imahara. Battlebots and Mythbusters were both awesome.
    MurderbearNoelMichelle
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Michelle said:
    cdrive said:
    Thank you. 

Sorry all, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.
    Please do not feel that way @Michelle! So sorry to hear of your loss. I hope your family can find peace.  <3
    FlukesNoelcdriveChinaski
    Jim said:
    Sorry for your loss Michelle. :( And RIP Grant Imahara. Battlebots and Mythbusters were both awesome.
    Thanks, @Jim :heart:
    Please do not feel that way @Michelle! So sorry to hear of your loss. I hope your family can find peace.  <3
    Thank you, we are trying. :heart:
    Flukes
  • So sorry to hear that, @Michelle. This year is the suck.

I was so shocked to hear about Grant Imahara and genuinely bummed out about it. Mythbusters was such a great show. It was heartening to go through several Reddit threads today and see how many people he inspired to go into engineering, robotics, and other sciences too, not to mention how generous and nice he was to those who knew him. He's gone way too soon and that is tragic, but what a positive impact he had on so many, and in the end, that's the best any of us can do.

Michelle
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    really sorry for your loss @Michelle.
    Michelle
    Marci said:
    So sorry to hear that, @Michelle. This year is the suck.
    Thank you @Marci :heart:
    Chinaski said:
    really sorry for your loss @Michelle.
    Thanks, @Chinaski :heart:
    Marci
  • This one hurts.  I don't think that they made much of a dent outside of Canada, but SNFU is a legendary punk band here and their iconic singer Chi Pig has passed away.  Over the years I was lucky enough to meet him probably a dozen times and he was the nicest, sweetest person imaginable.  He lived a really hard life (documented in the movie "Open Your Mouth and Say... Mr. Chi Pig")...he was schizophrenic, suffered from depression and anxiety, self-medicated with street drugs, got addicted to crystal meth, was homeless for years and through it all he was one the kindest and most loving people that I'd ever met.  RIP Chi Pig  :'(

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    This one hurts.  I don't think that they made much of a dent outside of Canada, but SNFU is a legendary punk band here and their iconic singer Chi Pig has passed away.  Over the years I was lucky enough to meet him probably a dozen times and he was the nicest, sweetest person imaginable.  He lived a really hard life (documented in the movie "Open Your Mouth and Say... Mr. Chi Pig")...he was schizophrenic, suffered from depression and anxiety, self-medicated with street drugs, got addicted to crystal meth, was homeless for years and through it all he was one the kindest and most loving people that I'd ever met.  RIP Chi Pig  :'(

what a f'n bummer man! yeah this sucks. Reality Is a Ride on the Bus was one of the first songs i got stoned to. RIP Mr. Chi :'(
    CretanBull
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    John Lewis, Civil Rights icon and Congressman from Georgia died tonight. He was 80.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/us/john-lewis-dead.html
    MurderbearNoelA_Ron_Hubbard
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    A true American hero
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited July 19

A few friends are sharing their Chi Pig stories on Facebook, I thought that I’d share mine here as well.

----

I first met Chi when I was about 15 or 16, I think it was in 1989 but it could have been 1990.  SNFU were playing in Montreal with The Nils and The Asexuals (or maybe the Doughboys?  I don’t remember, but @John Kastner was there – do you remember?).

Whenever there was a show at Fouf’s there was always a gathering before the show at an abandoned parking lot just down the street – the city filled the lot with giant concrete blocks and all of the St. Catherine’s street punks hung out there.  My friend Brian and I went to that lot about 4 or 5 hours before the show and not long after we got there, Chi showed up.  He was on his own, apparently just wondering the streets and came over to see what the crowd was about.  It didn’t occur him that all of us were there to see him (and SNFU!).  He hung out for about a half hour or so, then came directly over to Brian and I.  I have no idea why he zeroed in on us.  He asked us if we knew where the cool stores were and if we’d taking him shopping.  We jumped at the opportunity!

Once we got just a few minutes down the road he told us that he didn’t really need to go shopping, he was just nervous around crowds but was afraid to disappoint the kids in the lot if he just walked away from them.  He said that we could walk to the club with him if we wanted to and he’d let us watch their sound check.  Awesome!

On our way to the club, we ended up popping in to a headshop.  We spent a few minutes looking around and then Chi held up a $5 Madonna shirt. “I’m gonna wear this tonight, that’ll piss the dummies off.”  He bought the shirt, and indeed he wore it onstage that night.

The next time I met Chi, it was a few years later – around 1992 or 93.  SNFU were playing The Opera House in Toronto and Trigger Happy were opening.  Before the show, I was downstairs with Trigger Happy.  Chi came into their dressing room to say hello.  He was in the room less than a minute before he looked at me and shouted “Hey Fucker!  Let’s go buy Madonna shirts!”.  I was floored.  He had no reason to remember me – I barely even looked the same! - I was just some kid who spent maybe 45 minutes with him, years prior, in another city, but he remembered me.  RIP Chi.

Giovanni
    Regis!