Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited July 1
    Signs 2002

not the first time I watched this. I enjoy this movie much more than others. Spoilers for 20 year old movie.....

EDIT: In my head Canon it’s the Flouride. Not the water. And if you argue that they are a farm so they had well water then it could be a mineral. Which is just as valid. This would make the movie a million times better and explain a lot. 

• fidozfidoz Houston
    That Obscure Object of Desire (1977) 

LUIS BUÑUEL’S MASTERPIECE

After dumping a bucket of water on a beautiful young woman from the window of a train car, wealthy Frenchman Mathieu, regales his fellow passengers with the story of the dysfunctional relationship between himself and the young woman in question, a fiery 19-year-old flamenco dancer named Conchita. What follows is a tale of cruelty, depravity and lies – the very building blocks of love.

What a crazy movie. It's a bit out of time in 2020 with some some domestic abuse and gets a little rapey at certain points but it's a wonderful film. The lead female role is played by two different actresses and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when the actresses are switched out. It may come at a break in the story or sometimes mid scene. It's crazy. 

Criterion Channel (Left 6/30/20)

• Freddy said:
    I watched The Witch last night. Excuse me, The VVitch. Really solid movie, if not dark and uncomfortable. I don't usually go in for horror/suspense affairs, but The VuhVitch came highly recommended from a friend who's taste I trust. Was not disappointed. Definitely one of those rare modern movies that feels completely unique. Also, it stars Dagmer Cleftjaw as the lead. Also known as the guy with the coolest sounding voice ever.

The VVitch is definitely high up my list of movie I need to see. Part of me is happy as can be I got a 8 week old puppy when quarantine started, the selfish part of me constantly thinks how many movies and TV shows I could have checked off my list had I not. 
  • edited July 7
    The Vast of Night (Amazon Prime)

Endearing and weirdly riveting micro budget sci-fi film about a radio host and a switchboard operator in the 50s who accidentally stumble on small-town mystery with world-changing implications. 

Shirley (Hulu)

Josephine Decker is one of the most refreshingly interesting filmmakers around right now. From Butter on the Latch to Madeline’s Madeline, everything just pops with hypnotic psychosexual exploration. She’s reached “I will consume everything this person does from now on” status. 

And there just aren’t a lot of superlatives left to be said about Elisabeth Moss, who has so perfected a particular brand of unhinged, head-down-eyes-up menace that it ought to be considered its own genre.
    fidoz
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Kingpin

Such a classic. Woody and Bill Murray are just A+ in this. The end showdown with the hair is just truly special. 
    Giovannihisdudeness915Freddy
  • Hatorian said:
    Kingpin

Such a classic. Woody and Bill Murray are just A+ in this. The end showdown with the hair is just truly special. 

I read the other day that Murray hit all three stirkes in a row in one take, and it caused the crowd to go wild. They also mentioned how he improvised just about all his lines in the film. Pretty crazy. Makes me want to do a re-watch (it's been many years).

Hatorian
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Palm Springs
    Just watched that this morning and really liked it. I'm a big sucker for Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti is great as well. Very charming and lots of laughs.
    fidoz
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I'm glad Cristin Milioti is getting some attention. She is great. I first saw her in Sopranos as a character (you get the impression) that has an eating disorder. She is just super charismatic and fun to watch. 
    Murderbear
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Relic is kinda dumb. Wouldn’t recommend. 
    NoelChinaski
  • edited July 17
    The Old Guard

Dumbass fun action movie that I would definitely watch another of. Between this and Extraction, Netflix is hitting some really good action beats this year. But my god, the needle drops in this movie are embarrassingly bad. 

Palm Springs

I think this might be my favorite movie the year...? It just felt really prescient in 2020, and I found myself being weirdly moved by it. A lot of legit laugh out loud moments too. This is like the way less mean-spirited version of Groundhog Day, and Samberg and Milioti have great chemistry. 
    Chinaski
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Rosemary's Baby
    Probably unfair to compare this movie to 50+ years of horror movies after it, but it felt way too long for how many clues they gave up front and how slowly the plot rolled out. It was very well made and acted but I was shocked when we paused the movie and it was less than halfway through an hour into it.
    Murderbear
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Proxima (2019)

From IMDb: "An astronaut prepares for a one-year mission aboard the International Space Station."

Proxima isn’t the kind of sci-fi or space exploration movie that is going to have in awe of the glory of the universe. It certainly doesn’t boast the grand scale of something like Interstellar or the tense, detailed action of something like Ad Astra, but what it does do is give you a whole new angle on the complexities of a mother/daughter relationship narrative. Really poignantly capped off with a montage of prominent real life female astronauts with their children, it’s an effective drama that gives an insight into an area of the whole ‘space experience’ that has been very underrepresented in science-fiction up to now. Not a future classic, but certainly an interesting watch. Eva Green is always captivating to watch.
    The Rental

An extremely solid cabin in the woods movie. I love the cast with Dan Stevens, Alison Brie, Toby Huss and some other actors I wasn't familiar with. A great movie to put on late at night and yell at the characters when they decide to take ecstasy at the worst possible time. It doesn't subvert the genre or do anything too out there, it's perfectly happy to live within the "attractive people doing stupid shit in a remote place" space.
    ChinaskiDashEngine
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    The Rental

An extremely solid cabin in the woods movie. I love the cast with Dan Stevens, Alison Brie, Toby Huss and some other actors I wasn't familiar with. A great movie to put on late at night and yell at the characters when they decide to take ecstasy at the worst possible time. It doesn't subvert the genre or do anything too out there, it's perfectly happy to live within the "attractive people doing stupid shit in a remote place" space.
    oh i wanna see this! apparently Alison Brie and Dave Franco (who directed the movie) did molly the night they met haha.
    Chinaski said:
    oh i wanna see this! apparently Alison Brie and Dave Franco (who directed the movie) did molly the night they met haha.

It's really good! I just wish I could have seen it in a theater.
    Chinaski
    Gremlins

This movie is great. I'd never seen it before and wasn't sure what to expect and it was so much fun. The puppets and practical effects hold up and I would die for Gizmo.
    awookiee
    Gremlins

This movie is great. I'd never seen it before and wasn't sure what to expect and it was so much fun. The puppets and practical effects hold up and I would die for Gizmo.
    I feel like this movie gets overlooked very frequently. I love it. It is a great horror-christmas movie. 
    bizmarkiefaderawookiee
  • Gremlins

I feel like this movie gets overlooked very frequently. I love it. It is a great horror-christmas movie. 
    Absolutely agree. I've loved the movies Gremlins for a very long time and it's easily one of my favorite Christmas movies. The 2nd one was decent but will never be as great as the 1st.
  • edited August 7
    The last four I’ve seen have all been pretty fantastic. 

The Philadelphia Story (1940)
    Just Katharine Hepburn flexing on Cary Grant and James Stewart for 112 minutes and genuinely hilarious. 

Short Term 12 (2013)
    Heart-wrenching story with an excellent young cast of up-and-comers like Brie Larson, Rami Malek, LaKeith Stanfield, John Gallagher Jr, Kaitlyn Dever, and Stephanie Beatriz. I could have spent another hour and a half with these characters, who I came to adore the hell out of.

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)
    Not a whole lot to say and definitely not my first viewing. The M:I franchise is just incredible and it’s my favorite franchise of all time. The entire Burj Khalifa sequence makes my teeth sweat.

Unstoppable (2010)
    If you were going to start a Greatest Underrated Movies of all time list this would probably sit at or near the top of it. It’s Tony Scott at the height of all his glorious powers, and it’s a damn shame we lost him the way we did. 

Short Term 12 (2013)
    Heart-wrenching story with an excellent young cast of up-and-comers like Brie Larson, Rami Malek, LaKeith Stanfield, John Gallagher Jr, Kaitlyn Dever, and Stephanie Beatriz. I could have spent another hour and a half with these characters, who I came to adore the hell out of.. 
    I mention this movie and sing its praises every chance I get. Granted I used to run a similar facility for about 11 years in inner city Boston. So it struck a particular chord with me and I was a complete train-wreck by the end of the movie. 
    I watched Shudder's Host last night, (not to be confused with Bong Joon Ho's The Host  "A monster emerges from Seoul's Han River and begins attacking people. One victim's loving family does what it can to rescue her from its clutches.) It is a quick and mean 56-minute long movie taking place during a Zoom call among friends who decided to perform a seance (Non-Spoiler Alert: Things don't go as planned). I can't recommend it enough. If found footage, horror, or the recent emergence of "webcam" specials or movies aren't your thing, you may not be all that interested or find much to like here. But as someone who loves the two former and to a lesser extent the webcam thing, there is a lot to like here. The running time doesn't hurt things either. It hits the ground running and doesn't stop. 
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    I went through the AFI's 100 movies and the 10th anniversary lists yesterday. I've seen 75 movies on each list. The lists combined have 33 movies I haven't seen. These will be the movies I focus on the rest of this month.
    All About Eve
    The Grapes of Wrath
    It Happened One Night
    Double Indemnity
    North By Northwest
    Rear Window
    King Kong (1933)
    A Streetcar Named Desire
    The Philadelphia Story
    All Quiet on the Western Front
    The Third Man
    The Manchurian Candidate
    An American in Paris
    Wuthering Heights
    The Gold Rush
    City Lights
    Modern Times
    Duck Soup
    Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)
    Frankenstein
    The Jazz Singer
    Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner
    Yankee Doodle Dandy
    Stagecoach
    A Clockwork Orange
    Intolerance
    Swing Time
    12 Angry Men
    A Night at the Opera
    Spartacus
    Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
    Nashville
    Sullivan’s Travels
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters (2012) A documentary following the acclaimed photographer on the construction of his collection Beneath the Roses and the behind-the-scenes explanation from Crewdson himself of his thought process and vision for his pieces.

Crewdson’s photographs have as much compositional direction, set dressing, and pre- and post-production as any film. He creates captivating, melancholy, and often haunting scenes of forgotten suburbia. His work was highly influential on the visual style of It Follows (2014).

So, @DashEngine I finally got around to watching this and it was super interesting. I don’t know anything about photography (I just like looking at the pictures) and I had no idea he wasn’t just out there snapping away with a camera and then tweaking the lighting after. The amount of people he has working with him is astounding. He’s really more of a director than a photographer. 

I had always thought his work looked a bit Blue Velvet-ish, so it fell into place when he talked about that as an influence. 

I wish I could own one of his prints, but they’re sooooo expensive (I’ve looked over the years). 
    DashEngine
  • I watched Guns Akimbo on Amazon Prime the other day. What a wild, crazy, stupid ride that was actually kind of a fun watch. Reminded me a bit of Birds of Prey from just a crazy, ridiculous, over the top standpoint. I've really like Samara Weaving in everything I've seen her in up to this point and she doesn't disappoint in this either. She's hardly recognizable but she's absolutely bat shit crazy and plays it very well.
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    Host

Streaming on shudder. It's short, just under an hour.  A group of friends hire a medium to guide them through a zoom-hosted seance to pass the time in quarantine.  Pretty solid horror film.  7/10.  No fat on the bones either. 
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    An American Pickle (2020)

From IMDb: "An immigrant worker at a pickle factory is accidentally preserved for 100 years and wakes up in modern day Brooklyn."

What's so annoying is that there is a really interesting idea in here, the sort of pre and post WWII Jewish experience smashing together in an exaggerated and fantastical way, but the film chooses to just be dumb whenever it can. The clumsy section on cancel culture goes on for way too long.
    Host

Streaming on shudder. It's short, just under an hour.  A group of friends hire a medium to guide them through a zoom-hosted seance to pass the time in quarantine.  Pretty solid horror film.  7/10.  No fat on the bones either. 
    I was really impressed with how quick they managed to get into things. It isn't like we particularly cared for the characters, there isn't time for that. But with a movie like this, do you really go in wanting character development? I don't. But it masterfully gets you to at least have an idea of the personalities of the characters in a remarkable short amount of time. Its nothing that I am going to watch every Halloween or something. But it also, isn't trash or as trashy as it could have been.

amyja89 said:

From IMDb: "An immigrant worker at a pickle factory is accidentally preserved for 100 years and wakes up in modern day Brooklyn."

What's so annoying is that there is a really interesting idea in here, the sort of pre and post WWII Jewish experience smashing together in an exaggerated and fantastical way, but the film chooses to just be dumb whenever it can. The clumsy section on cancel culture goes on for way too long.
    This is too bad to hear. I really loved the trailer and was much more interested in the dramatic side of things than anything else. We have seen Seth Rogan do comedy a million times. It'd be great for them to have pushed feels a bit more. I will watch it eventually, but it went from being a "must-see," to "I'll get around to it."
  • Host

I was really impressed with how quick they managed to get into things. It isn't like we particularly cared for the characters, there isn't time for that. But with a movie like this, do you really go in wanting character development? I don't. But it masterfully gets you to at least have an idea of the personalities of the characters in a remarkable short amount of time. Its nothing that I am going to watch every Halloween or something. But it also, isn't trash or as trashy as it could have been.

amyja89 said:

This is too bad to hear. I really loved the trailer and was much more interested in the dramatic side of things than anything else. We have seen Seth Rogan do comedy a million times. It'd be great for them to have pushed feels a bit more. I will watch it eventually, but it went from being a "must-see," to "I'll get around to it."
    Yea. I don’t think Seth Rogen has had a good movie since Disaster Artist and that wasn’t even an original idea. He says he loves to be a writer but I just haven’t seen anything impressive in awhile. I really hope he turns it around for TMNT
    Freddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Hatorian said:
    I really hope he turns it around for TMNT

HatorianSchluppGiovanni
    Hatorian said:
    Host

amyja89 said:

Yea. I don’t think Seth Rogen has had a good movie since Disaster Artist and that wasn’t even an original idea. He says he loves to be a writer but I just haven’t seen anything impressive in awhile. I really hope he turns it around for TMNT
    He is very involved/the creator of The Boys (TV show anyway...at least that is how IMDB puts it, I don't know if that means he is the show runner or just instrumental in getting it off the ground) and an article came out where an ending is already planned for that show and such. I think he does better as a producer. I like him quite a bit. But he probably does better with other people writing stuff for him.