Palm Springs (Spoilers)

edited July 17 in Movies
Probably the best quarantine release so far for me, what does everyone think? I felt like the time loop aspect was the perfect addition to break out of the typical rom-com mold. Great comedy and just a feel good movie 
mostlywright

Comments

• JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    I watched this last night.  I liked it a lot.  I think it's best to go in not knowing anything about it.  In that regard, could you edit the title to indicate spoilers?  
    Flukesnstinson
  • I enjoyed this movie a lot. After I watched it I wondered what happened to Roy, but apparently there's a mid-credits scene that I missed.
    nstinson
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    psxpaul said:
    I enjoyed this movie a lot. After I watched it I wondered what happened to Roy, but apparently there's a mid-credits scene that I missed.
    Yeah, it's a great scene to wrap up things for Roy.

I thought this movie was great and a good use of the whole time loop dynamic.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    It's crazy to me that it's 2020 and there's no way for me to give anyone money to watch this since I live in Canada.
    Hatoriannstinson
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    Since Groundhog Day, there have been plenty of these time-loop movies that have tried to do something worthwhile with the basic idea. 

Not only does "Palm Springs" do this successfully... it knocks it out of the park. It's a truly worthy (perhaps the first worthy) successor to the genre creating Groundhogs Day. 

I'd love for Jim and Aron to do a review.
    MurderbearmostlywrightFlukesnstinsonlengmo
  • I have been struggling to engage in anything on TV lately and this movie just sucked me right in! Loved the concept, and the cast, and just all of it. It was also great to see Cristin Milioti-I wish she was cast in more stuff. I will admit I was slow on the uptake and it took me a minute to understand the stinger. I could not figure out why Nyles didn't know who Roy was. I am glad my brain unfroze before I outed myself...which I guess I just did. 
    JoshuaHeternstinson
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA

I'd love for Jim and Aron to do a review.
    Nah.  I'm gonna need them to livewatch it 16 times start to finish in a row while taking donations.
    JoshuaHeterMurderbearnstinsonlengmo
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I have been struggling to engage in anything on TV lately and this movie just sucked me right in! Loved the concept, and the cast, and just all of it. It was also great to see Cristin Milioti-I wish she was cast in more stuff. I will admit I was slow on the uptake and it took me a minute to understand the stinger. I could not figure out why Nyles didn't know who Roy was. I am glad my brain unfroze before I outed myself...which I guess I just did. 
    I couldn't understand why Nyles was still there. I thought when Sarah tried it on the goat, it took it out of the loop entirely.
    Freddy said:
    I couldn't understand why Nyles was still there. I thought when Sarah tried it on the goat, it took it out of the loop entirely.
    My understanding was that she got the goat stuck in the loop, and then got the goat out of the loop by exploding it in the tunnel.

That’s why Roy was still there during the mid-credits scene. Everyone stuck in the loop has to Individually go through the exploding process to get out of it.

That said... I don’t know how she had any idea that the goat got out of the loop... because relative to her subjective experience of the day (over and over again in the loop), wouldn’t she find the goat in the same exact place every new (i.e. repeated) day?

Am I missing something?
    nstinson
  • Freddy said:
    My understanding was that she got the goat stuck in the loop, and then got the goat out of the loop by exploding it in the tunnel.

That’s why Roy was still there during the mid-credits scene. Everyone stuck in the loop has to Individually go through the exploding process to get out of it.

That said... I don’t know how she had any idea that the goat got out of the loop... because relative to her subjective experience of the day (over and over again in the loop), wouldn’t she find the goat in the same exact place every new (i.e. repeated) day?

Am I missing something?
    Gahh-now my brain is frozen again. If she blew the goat out of the time loop-then it wouldn't be in their time loop. But when Roy goes to blow himself out of the time loop, wouldn't the goat be there again? 
    edited July 22
    Gahh-now my brain is frozen again. If she blew the goat out of the time loop-then it wouldn't be in their time loop. But when Roy goes to blow himself out of the time loop, wouldn't the goat be there again? 
    So, when you are blown out of the time-loop, “you” are free of it... you can go on experiencing actually new days: Nov. 10th, 11th, and on...

But, when that happens, there is still a version of you (or whatever) that becomes a part of the loop for everyone still stuck in the loop. When Nyles is freed, the version of him that remains is Nyles as he experienced the wedding day on his very first pass. That’s why he’s wearing the tux and doesn’t know Roy in the mid-credits scene.

C’mon... you’re acting like this is complicated or something. ;)
    Murderbear
  • Gahh-now my brain is frozen again. If she blew the goat out of the time loop-then it wouldn't be in their time loop. But when Roy goes to blow himself out of the time loop, wouldn't the goat be there again? 
    So, when you are blown out of the time-loop, “you” are free of it... you can go on experiencing actually new days: Nov. 10th, 11th, and on...

But, when that happens, there is still a version of you (or whatever) that becomes a part of the loop for everyone still stuck in the loop. When Nyles is freed, the version of him that remains is Nyles as he experienced the wedding day on his very first pass. That’s why he’s wearing the tux and doesn’t know Roy in the mid-credits scene.

Cmon man... you’re acting like this is complicated or something. ;)
    Whew, I am tracking with you totally. But doesn't your explanation explain your question about the goat? Because if not...I may need you to commit to a powerpoint. 
    Murderbear
    Whew, I am tracking with you totally. But doesn't your explanation explain your question about the goat? Because if not...I may need you to commit to a powerpoint. 
    It should be easy-ish to determine if another person has broken out of the loop: you just confront them everyday and see if they react the same.

I guess you could do that same sort of thing with a goat, it would just be more difficult and you’d have to pay much closer attention.
    Murderbear
  • I really enjoyed this movie and would love to see a quick coverage by the guys in an after hours pod
    Murderbear
  • Whew, I am tracking with you totally. But doesn't your explanation explain your question about the goat? Because if not...I may need you to commit to a powerpoint. 
    It should be easy-ish to determine if another person has broken out of the loop: you just confront them everyday and see if they react the same.

I guess you could do that same sort of thing with a goat, it would just be more difficult and you’d have to pay much closer attention.
    Did it actually show that the goat wasn’t there, or is that just something she told Nyles? She might have lied to make it more likely Nyles would go with her.
    JoshuaHeterFreddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    EMAW42 said:

Did it actually show that the goat wasn’t there, or is that just something she told Nyles? She might have lied to make it more likely Nyles would go with her.
    Good point. She was a real piece of shit, come to think of it. I guess Andy Samberg's blind love of her caused us all to be a little blinded. 
  • Freddy said:
    EMAW42 said:

Good point. She was a real piece of shit, come to think of it. I guess Andy Samberg's blind love of her caused us all to be a little blinded. 
    Well.... I mean... she *did* sleep with her sister's fiance less than 24 hours before her sister's wedding.

Freddy
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Was this covered in a Bald Move podcast?  Given their deep knowledge of Groundhog Day, I think their take would be particularly interesting.