What music are you streaming?

Comments

• I feel like the real heavy stuff doesn't have too many fans around here and that's okay but I am loving this new Spiritbox single. Their lead singer Courtney has a beast of a voice and I have loved everything she's done so far. They are my favorite new band right now. Also, it's a simple video but love the obvious Midsommar vibes.

https://youtu.be/cWE0sSZ9yLc
    I spent a good part of my teenage years knee-deep in death metal and grindcore.  I'm 46 now, and I still go see Carcass and Naplam Death every time they come to town :)
    Murderbear
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2020
    Admiral Radley shuffled up and it's hitting my ears awfully nice. Basically a side project with members of Grandaddy and Earlimart. I think they only made the one record and it has a couple of misses, but there are some fantastic tracks on it.

Also, I've been studying up for a Best Album of 1999 tournament (probably heard about 7 new to me records over the last couple of days) and I really dug the Quasi and Macy Gray records. Definitely recommend both of them. 
    Chinaskicdrive
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Travis said:
    Admiral Radley shuffled up and it's hitting my ears awfully nice. Basically a side project with members of Grandaddy and Earlimart. I think they only made the one record and it has a couple of misses, but there are some fantastic tracks on it.
    i remember i was so stoked when this came out cause i wanted a Grandaddy fix. album starts off really solid with the first 3 tracks, then kinda fizzles out for me. there's maybe a track or 2 in the middle that are good, but the album didn't take off like i wanted it to after the first 3.
    Traviscdrive
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2020
    Chinaski said:
    Travis said:
    i remember i was so stoked when this came out cause i wanted a Grandaddy fix. album starts off really solid with the first 3 tracks, then kinda fizzles out for me. there's maybe a track or 2 in the middle that are good, but the album didn't take off like i wanted it to after the first 3.
    I like the bulk of it, but now that you mention it I really only listened to "side A" once the initial digestion was complete. True. 
    I'm All Fucked On Beer is pretty fuckin fun though. Ha!
    Now that we're talking about it, I'm pretty overdue for a run on The Sophtware Slump. Gotta fix that.
    Chinaski
  • I love this song. So f'n good. Why? should have been a bigger deal.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmspaX1Nyig
    Chinaski
    @Travis - man, i remember the first time i saw 28 Days Later and heard A.M 180 in the shopping scene and being all 'Grandaddy! Yes!!'. great scene too btw.

cdriveTravis
  • Oh man. Been a long time since 28 Days Later. That was a fantastic use of the song. Really pleasant surprise when I first saw it.
    ChinaskiMurderbear
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Waterfalls II from My Morning Jacket started streaming today.
    Univ3rsalmindMurderbear
  • I forget about Speedy Ortiz, but goddammit they are fantastic. I'm just nuts for those Whammy Wah hits in the choruses. Gets me so fuckin pumped.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJZlEQbzx3I
    Murderbear
  • Pretty excited to hear Rilo Kiley is re-issuing their first "album". I think I had the Initial Friend EP version that I got off of soulseek back in the day (probably on an old iPod or hard drive somewhere), but I haven't heard most of these songs in a long time. Papillon was always a favorite:

cdrive
  • New Taylor Swift album has a chill song called Exile featuring Bon Iver

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited July 2020
    Speaking of chill, I have been digging on Jinsang hardcore lately. Essentially everything he makes could he featured on the "lofi beats to relax/study to" channel on YouTube but damn it's good!

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I have been a fan of the podcast Punch Up The Jam pretty much from the beginning. I sort of fell off after Demi Adejuyigbe left. His punchups were a thing of legend. Always incredible. Well, the other host Miel Bredouw just put out an album and it is very, very good. Sad and mellow and poppy and beautiful. It's a breakup album and I am in love with it. Miel - Tourist Season.

• CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited July 2020
    Last week, this popped up as a random Youtube recommendation...I had no idea that it even existed!  The Dead Boys live at CBGB's from 1977!

cdrivekingbee67
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited August 2020
    This weekend I was listening to Bridge City Sinners a punk/metal ish acoustic thing it was ok but the song Ashes very good. That brought me to Gogol Bordello which I always wanted to listen to but never had. Enjoying very much.

https://youtu.be/8aFaaJ5h13M
    Traviscdrive
  • Any love for Blitzen Trapper around these parts? The song Furr just shuffled up and sent that nice sort of sigh. Kind of like the physical sensation that comes along with waxing nostalgic when a good friend that you haven't seen in a long time pops into your head. Great tune by a great band.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmBgxP56R1I
    johnnytruantcdrive
  • Getting some James Brown vibes from this. The bassline is criminally funky.

MurderbearnealcdriveTravis
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I fell into a Yaz/Alison Moyet rabbit hole earlier and now... cut to me dancing in my office to this. :heart:
    I seriously need to see her live when concerts are a thing again.

kingbee67
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited August 2020
    You know, I've heard a lot of talk. So I'm headed for the stereo store to get a white noise maker and turn it up to 10.

EDIT: continued shuffling leads to Beachwood Sparks. Nice!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ20IozfA2M
    edited September 2020
    Legends Never Die,  Orville Peck ft. Shania Twain 

https://youtu.be/PV3dDRNmj_U

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Spotify:   pssst....hey man, how's your Friday going?

Me:  Actually pretty whips so far.

Spotify: Really? Cool cool okay well I'm just gonna drop this Luna cover of Television's Marquee Moon in your New Radar Release playlist....

Me: WHAT?!?!?!! 

Travis
  • cdrive said:

Spotify: Really? Cool cool okay well I'm just gonna drop this Luna cover of Television's Marquee Moon in your New Radar Release playlist....

That was totally good! Thanks for the heads up there.
    cdrive
  • MichelleMichelle California
    cdrive said:

New Luna???????? :heart:
    Side note, Dean Wareham has one of the most unique singing voices ever.  I don't know what it is about it, but it's soothing in a weird way.  Just me?
    cdriveTravis
    For sure - Dean is a crooner.
    Travis
    I guess I'm one of the last people to get into Ariel Pink?!

Terrific songwriting. Terrible posture! haha.

Little afternoon Ariel Pink & old Zappa playlist:

Ariel Pink - Round and Round
    Frank Zappa - Sleeping In A Jar
    Ariel Pink - Another Weekend
    Frank Zappa - Apostrophe'

Traviskingbee67
    edited August 2020
    You had me at prog. 
    In a review for a band called Oceans Of Slumber the guy describes the band as prog metal. Well now I’m hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=RDeR5x8NNHy4o&feature=share&playnext=1
    cdrive
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited August 2020
    Olivia Tremor Control's Black Foliage: Animation Music came up as one of the 1999 records to vote on today and it's been very cool to revisit it. I forgot how much I dug it. Really interesting album.

@cdrive Thanks for the reminder about Ariel Pink, man. I've heard a couple of tunes and really liked them, but never really dug into it. Kind of forgot over the years. Glad you dug him. Cheers!
    cdrive
  • Today I'm going through some Guided By Voices after listening to the Robert Pollard/Doug Gillard record Speak Kindly of your Local Volunteer Fire Department. Fantastic record that I would highly recommend to anyone of a GBV persuasion. I think it actually stands up, toe to toe against any of their records.
    cdriveChinaski
    Travis said:
    Today I'm going through some Guided By Voices after listening to the Robert Pollard/Doug Gillard record Speak Kindly of your Local Volunteer Fire Department. Fantastic record that I would highly recommend to anyone of a GBV persuasion. I think it actually stands up, toe to toe against any of their records.
    as long as you skipped Kicker of Elves. man, i really hate that song haha.
    Travis