Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• Yikes. If what this person is saying is true (and it sounds plausible to me), it's alarming:

• edited July 2020
    Florida set back to back new records for daily deaths.  186 yesterday, 216 today.  And Disney is still open and schools open in a few weeks...

I just can't understand how we're not only watching this happen, but actively encouraging it to get worse.
    Marci
  • mharmless said:
    Florida set back to back new records for daily deaths.  186 yesterday, 216 today.  And Disney is still open and schools open in a few weeks...

I just can't understand how we're not only watching this happen, but actively encouraging it to get worse.
    I think it is explainable. The last four years there has been a war on science, facts, and the media. People of all backgrounds have been coditioned to distrust facts. For good reason, there have been major misinformation campaigns that blur the lines of what actually is true. I've seen people I grew up with (mostly POC in inner cities) who think it's either a hoax or a government conspiracy. Nevermind the rich people who don't want covid to get in the way of their profit sheet. 

The U.S. is in bad shape and i don't have much hope things are going to get better. Think about how many people still refuse to wear a mask? Pure insanity. 
    DeeMarci
  • edited July 2020
    I think the war on science, facts, and media has gone on longer than that but has grown exponentially in the last four years.  And yeah, it does cross political lines.  There's a lot of misinformation and disinformation out there and the American public seems to have neither the will nor the ability to be discerning.
    Dee
  • Agree the war on science has been raging for at least 20, if not 40, years.
    On the Right it’s against evolution, climate change, economics (trickledown), and more-recently epidemiology (Coronavirus).
    On the Left it’s against GMOs, agronomy (organic), modern medicine (alternative medicine), carbohydrates, and epidemiology (Vaccines).

The lack of critical thinking in the USA is increasingly alarming.
    JoshTheBlack
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    LordBy said:

On the Left it’s against GMOs, agronomy (organic), modern medicine (alternative medicine), carbohydrates, and epidemiology (Vaccines).

Lol how are any of these "left" positions?
  • Right - both sides do it.
  • LordBy said:

None of these are widespread positions on "the left," or they are so vague as to be meaningless. Against carbs? That's a diet thing, not a political thing. If you mean gluten free, that's a fringe position (and has been a boon to people that actually can't tolerate gluten as there's way more options for them now). Anti-vax is a fringe movement on both sides, as is alternative medicine (essential oils on the left, faith healing on the right, neither widely practices). 

Being pro-organic or anti-agronomy can mean something as simple as being opposed to big agriculture, which is both not super widespread and totally reasonable (see Monsanto). 
  • Anti Vaccines are definitely not blue. 
  • Sorry this was oversimplified.
    The anti-Vax movement started off on the left, but has defiantly spread to both sides of the political spectrum and is probably more on the right now with the MAGAfication of the GOP.
    Anti-GMO is still more left than right
    Organic movement is still more left than right (Organic farming is horrible for land use, water use, carbon emissions, and efficiency. If the world went organic it’d be murder for global warming, and still many millions more would die of starvation due to decreased crop yields)
    Carbs was shorthand for crazy diets. I’d put gluten in there (except for the small percentage of folks with Celiac Disease) along with the fanatical vegans, keto, paleo, etc. (Don’t all come at me at once on this, I know folks are oddly-defensive when it comes to their diets)
    Alternative Medicine is more left than right. I wasn’t lumping faith healing in there, but the faith healing folks are outnumbered by those who roll with chiropractic, naturopathic, homeopathic, herbal, traditional Chinese medicine, Reiki, essential oils, etc.

Just saying that there are plenty of folks on all sides of the political spectrum who could benefit from a bit more skeptical thinking.
    JoshTheBlack
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    OK but things like trickle down economics and climate and evolution denial are clearly defined pieces of the right wing orthodoxy that you can see extremely well represented in our government from figures on the right. The things you're listing are just like, popular in Portland or whatever. Every single thing does not have to be both sides are equally bad.
    DeeMarci
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    edited July 2020
    OK but things like trickle down economics and climate and evolution denial are clearly defined pieces of the right wing orthodoxy that you can see extremely well represented in our government from figures on the right. The things you're listing are just like, popular in Portland or whatever. Every single thing does not have to be both sides are equally bad.
    Indeed. I mentioned trickle-down and evolution in my initial post, but the stuff that seemed to require more explanation was the stuff I mentioned on the left.
    Most of the things I listed are not just, like, popular in Portland, or whatever. I’m sure the Pacific Northwest has more than its fair share of fringe lefties, but this stuff is far more widespread though I’m certainly not saying they are majority positions on the left.

I didn’t say both sides are equally bad. The right’s brand of anti-science is causing worse problems right now for sure. I’m just saying don’t get too smug. Many folks have positions they haven’t truly considered in a skeptical fashion and there may come a time when the left’s brand of anti-science may become the bigger problem if we’re complacent.
    JoshTheBlack
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    LordBy said:

Organic farming is horrible for land use, water use, carbon emissions, and efficiency. If the world went organic it’d be murder for global warming
    I’ve never heard this before, can you point me somewhere I can read more about it? 
  • Dee said:
    LordBy said:

Organic farming is horrible for land use, water use, carbon emissions, and efficiency. If the world went organic it’d be murder for global warming
    I’ve never heard this before, can you point me somewhere I can read more about it? 
    Sure Dee, here is a link to a study. You can read the abstract, but the full piece is behind a pay wall: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0757-z

Here is a link to blog discussion of it that isn’t behind a pay wall: https://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/more-evidence-organic-farming-is-bad/
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @LordBy Thank you!
  • I don't think it's fair to characterize @LordBy's post as trying to equate L/R politics as being equally bad.  That seems like a straw man, or at least a false equivalence.  I think LordBy was simply pointing out, with examples, that America's anti-science and non-skeptical thinking problem is not constrained by politics. 

That's not to say that science denial is not currently more of a problem among conservatives.  

As a person in Georgia (about as far from Portland as possible) I would agree with most of the categorization LordBy presented.  All of the "Left" quackery as listed is more prevalent in the Left leaning circles in my orbit than the Right leaning circles.  In my experience though, it is highly unlikely to find a Left leaning person who will argue against climate change, or for trickledown economics.  (In the Bible belt, you are more likely to find Left creationists.)  On the whole, I think Lefties are more likely to listen to good science on Covid, but you would be surprised how many in my orbit are still pretty flippant about it.  

OTOH, the Righties in my orbit seem to be more susceptible to some of the quackery LordBy lists as being on the Left.  Especially dietary stuff.  The anti-carb, anti-gluten, and particularly the Keto diet (fueled by MLM's) are surprisingly prevalent in my very Republican community.  Even among my R friend groups.  Alternative medicines (a la chiropracty) are also prevalent, however the more fringe alternative medicines (a la crystals, reiki, acupuncture) far less so.  I would definitely say that anti-vaxxers are widespread across ALL the spectrum.  
    GiovanniLordBy
  • I am an ICU nurse and I got COVID early July. Went through quarantine for almost 3 weeks and obviously was out of work. Last week my husband started to have fevers so he's been quarantining for 6 days now while we wait for his COVID results. Problem is, I was supposed to work all weekend and because he is in quarantine,  I have to be out of work to take care of our daughter while we wait for results. Im not complaining about the time i get to spend with her because she's awesome. What frustrates me is that I see these athletes being tested every other day for COVID, and here I am a nurse just trying to go to work during a pandemic and can't because we're waiting 10 days for results. It may be up to 2 weeks. The disparity in how health care works for different people in this country has never been more prominent.  
    cdriveDeeMarciBenChinaskiMurderbearLordByJSDCAGiovanniJoshTheBlackand 2 others.
  • Jenny said:
    I am an ICU nurse and I got COVID early July. Went through quarantine for almost 3 weeks and obviously was out of work. Last week my husband started to have fevers so he's been quarantining for 6 days now while we wait for his COVID results. Problem is, I was supposed to work all weekend and because he is in quarantine,  I have to be out of work to take care of our daughter while we wait for results. Im not complaining about the time i get to spend with her because she's awesome. What frustrates me is that I see these athletes being tested every other day for COVID, and here I am a nurse just trying to go to work during a pandemic and can't because we're waiting 10 days for results. It may be up to 2 weeks. The disparity in how health care works for different people in this country has never been more prominent.  
    I complete agree with your post. I hope we can all work to change some of those inequalities going forward. 

Let me also say, thank you for what you do. I hope your husband is okay and you're able to get back to work soon.

We just had a new baby and my gratitude for everything nurses do is off the charts. You literally put your life on the line so other people can survive. True heroes. Thank you. 

ChinaskiDeeMarci
  • I am genuinely worried for my friends and family who are teachers. Of course, I'm worried for the students too, and also for their families at home. I realize there is no perfect solution to handling education during this pandemic, but I see so many states just charging ahead with little regard for the danger they're putting students and staff in. My niece and nephew graduated from North Paulding High School in the Atlanta area, and images have gone viral of the hallway in that school. It's been reported that they severely limited the amount of distance learning allowed and they told everyone who didn't get into that program that they would be suspended or expelled if they didn't come to school. They are not requiring masks (and I'm not sure they even can, since the governor issued an order that overrules local mask requirements). Now they have suspended the kid who filmed the hallway video and threatened punishment to anyone who shares concerns on social media. Not to mention they already have several football players who have tested positive and also have undisclosed staff who have. This is not good.

• MichelleMichelle California
    @Giovanni congratulations on your new baby!  :)

@Marci I saw that pic and just.... it's so cringeworthy and worrisome.  I don't understand what's going through the minds of the officials that are setting these rules/policies and think it's ok to get kids into a packed hallway like sardines with no masks like the virus doesn't exist.

My oldest niece is about to enter her junior year of HS and the school board voted 3-2 to get the students back into the classroom.  This, while our small-ish county's numbers are spiking at their highest (10 new cases yesterday, 9 the day before, & that's how it's been here for the past few weeks).  Teachers are set to walk out, and the students started a petition that now has over 1,000 signatures.  We're hoping to keep them on distance learning until it's safe to return to class.
    MarciGiovanni
  • Schools are warehouses for children, notoriously overcrowded.  We say school can happen with the right precautions - where have those precautions legitimately been met?
    Marci
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    And down goes Fabtech.  My 'Big Work Events' for 2020 Calendar is now complete.  What a surreal sight to behold.

• JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    edited August 2020
    Marci said:
    ... My niece and nephew graduated from North Paulding High School in the Atlanta area...
    Small world! I moved back to Paulding County 3 months ago.  Lived here from around 2005 through 2015.  I went to school a county over in Douglas, but my dad's family have been here for generations.

EDIT:  Also, meant to mention the student, Hannah Watters, had her suspension lifted and removed from her record.  She is a hero.  I expect this action and it's fallout will basically guarantee her entry to whatever college she chooses to attend.
    Marci
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited August 2020
    Marci said:
    ... My niece and nephew graduated from North Paulding High School in the Atlanta area...
    Small world! I moved back to Paulding County 3 months ago.  Lived here from around 2005 through 2015.  I went to school a county over in Douglas, but my dad's family have been here for generations.

EDIT:  Also, meant to mention the student, Hannah Watters, had her suspension lifted and removed from her record.  She is a hero.  I expect this action and it's fallout will basically guarantee her entry to whatever college she chooses to attend.
    This is getting weird. Born and raised in Douglas before moving to Paulding 5 years ago. Very small world. 

Marci
  • Do you think the US would have a higher mask adoption rate if they had known not wearing masks put Oklahoma - Texas in jeopardy?   Mississippi - Mississippi State, Florida - Georgia, Clemson - Florida State, and omg, Alabama - Auburn.
  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited August 2020
    Pac 12 and Big 10 no fall sports.
  • https://www.ocala.com/news/20200811/marion-county-deputies-ordered-not-to-wear-masks

Florida sheriff's office bans masks for visitors and employees. What the actual fuck. 
  • asmallcat said:
    https://www.ocala.com/news/20200811/marion-county-deputies-ordered-not-to-wear-masks

Florida sheriff's office bans masks for visitors and employees. What the actual fuck. 

I simply can't wrap my head around stuff like this. There's a fig leaf of a justification about not wanting the mask to interfere with the deputies being heard, and that's not an unreasonable thing to consider in a policy, but using that to ban masks across the board is insane as cases continue to rage out of control in the state.
    Giovanni
  • asmallcat said:
    https://www.ocala.com/news/20200811/marion-county-deputies-ordered-not-to-wear-masks

I was coming here to post that. It's insanity. I can see instances where a deputy might need to remove their mask to communicate clearly, but this is an outright ban on masks even for people who want to wear them. It goes way past being simply irresponsible or negligent to being downright criminal as far as I'm concerned. it's still spreading like wildfire here and hospitalizations and deaths are up too. A couple of friends of mine just lost a friend (someone I didn't know), and he was maybe 40 and fit and healthy before he got it.
  • Predictably, my coworkers lack of self-preservation has finally come around to bite me and now I’m sick.