What is your most mundane celebrity encounter?

Comments

• JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    Borrowed and/or stolen from Twitter... what is your most mundane celebrity encounter? 

I once saw Jimmy Kimmel, Sarah Silverman, and Dicky Barrett outside of Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. 
    I forgot to mention, Dicky Barrett seemed to notice me because I was wearing a Dropkick Murphy’s t-shirt (a band he had toured with). As I passed him on the sidewalk, I just smiled and said “Hey man, how are you?” to which he replied “Not too bad.”

I feel like I earned some cool points for the way I handled that celebrity encounter... cool points I then lost by telling everyone I knew about it.
  • When I was 19 and a waitress, I unknowingly waited on Krist Novaselick, guitarist for Nirvana. His wife's family lives in my hometown. In fact, he lives there too now.  A few years ago, my dad introduced me to the new local Grange Master, Mr. Novaselick.

I also remember feeling really star-struck when I saw John Callahan (author and cartoonist, subject of movie 'Don't Worry, He Won't get Far on Foot') in Portland on the street between Whole Foods and Powell's Books.

cdriveMichelleDee
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    Along @Murderbear's lines, I used to work in the same office as Jerry Springer's accountant so I'd see him every April 15-ish for tax time.

Also, I wasn't at the burrito meeto... @a_ron_hubbard WHO IS SHE 

NoelcdriveMichelleMurderbearJoshuaHeterChinaskiDee
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited May 16
    @Murderbear

Bro you broke Bro Code, Bro!   ( jk )
    MichelleMurderbearJoshuaHeterDeeNoelCecily
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited May 17
    Whoooops! This is all on me. I believe it was Alexis who I was thinking of being at the burrito meeto. (Jesus I hope so and I'm not wrecking Jim's home too now ha) I think the first time I met Cecily was at Con of Thrones in Nashville. I was sitting in the front row for their panel on the main stage and she actually ended up sitting next to me. My one moment of pride was when they brought up Cleganebowl, I had an airhorn app on my phone open and ready to go and blared it when I heard it. They laughed from stage and I got a "nice" from Cecily.

Don't take it out on A.Ron @Cecily cause I goofed a big one!
    NoelCecily
  • I got very drunk with Amy Dumas once, aka Lita in WWE.
    CecilyDoubleA_RonNoel
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    I've got a lot of these, but two of my most mundane happened the same way...at different times, both Ice-T and Keifer Sutherland used the urinal next to the one I was using.

My friend Nicole would win this thread hands down....Bono bummed a smoke & a light off of her, personally invited her to the U2 show that night and she didn't bother to go.
    CecilyNoel
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    I've got a lot of these, but two of my most mundane happened the same way...at different times, both Ice-T and Keifer Sutherland used the urinal next to the one I was using.

My friend Nicole would win this thread hands down....Bono bummed a smoke & a light off of her, personally invited her to the U2 show that night and she didn't bother to go.
    This begs the question, did you take a peak?
    mylifeaskirkNoel
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    fidoz said:

Haha!  No, but I ended up meeting Ice-T several years later and I told him how I'd previously 'met' him and let's just say that he wasn't as impressed by my story as I was haha!
    NoelMurderbear
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    fidoz said:

Haha!  No, but I ended up meeting Ice-T several years later and I told him how I'd previously 'met' him and let's just say that he wasn't as impressed by my story as I was haha!
    That's a running bit on The Baller Lifestyle Podcast. One of the hosts, Ed Daly told a story about being at the urinal next to a professional football player and using it as an opportunity to take a peak. Now they will play a game called Daly's Choice where a listener presents Ed with 2 celebrities but he only has time to peak at one so he has to choose which one and why. 
    CretanBullFreddy
  • 20 years ago I waited at the valet stand of a hotel with Eminem. We were the only 2 in the vestibule. Didn’t speak but casually nodded at each other as if we were both regular people. Nick Lachey once bumped into me crossing a street on St. Patrick’s day in Chicago. I didn’t notice him but when I got across to the train station people told me what just happened. Lastly, I once shot baskets with Barry Sanders on an outdoor court at a park. Just the two of us and his kid who was then 4. We just shot around and played a little one on one on an early evening. 
    DeeMoonMan13Giovanni
    Non mundane experience? Meeting Gordon from Sesame Street! (Lil Murdercub on the left) 
    DeeCecilyMoonMan13JoshuaHeterawookieeGiovanni
  • ShumShum Utah
    I saw Donnie Osmond at the mall at Game Stop picking out a game with one of his kids. No interaction on my part.
    DeeMurderbear
  • MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
    My wife and I literally ran into Guy Fieri at this NYC food-mall/cafeteria type place several years ago. I always kinda laughed at how outrageous that dude is but have since warmed up to him after watching some of his admittedly silly food network shows - it's like he's sincerely that goofy and it is kind of endearing.
    Second one, my wife and I are at a 'fancy' pre fixe multi course dinner for our anniversary and sitting behind us is Jewel Staite from the killing and more importantly Are You Afraid Of The Dark.
    ChinaskiJoshuaHeterNoelMichelleMurderbear
  • MoonMan13 said:
    My wife and I literally ran into Guy Fieri at this NYC food-mall/cafeteria type place several years ago. I always kinda laughed at how outrageous that dude is but have since warmed up to him after watching some of his admittedly silly food network shows - it's like he's sincerely that goofy and it is kind of endearing.
    Second one, my wife and I are at a 'fancy' pre fixe multi course dinner for our anniversary and sitting behind us is Jewel Staite from the killing and more importantly Are You Afraid Of The Dark.
    Jewel Staite will forever be Kaylee, mechanic for Serenity to me. 
    Murderbear
  • I was hiking 20 years ago in Glacier Nat'l park and my group noticed Maury Povich and Connie Chung hiking on the same trail.  I was one of the group that didn't want to bother them on their vacation but one guy went over and introduced himself and said they were nice.  Pretty mundane.  I've like never really met any big celebrities and that is about the closest I have come to it.  I wonder if I just don't pay enough attention to who is around me or if I just haven't been in enough celebrity-ridden places.  

Probably a bit of both.  
    JoshuaHeterMurderbear
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited August 4
    Thomas Keller signed my Ad Hoc at Home book like 10 years ago. and he was as awesome as his food.
    MichelleThegelatokingMurderbear
  • Observed as Harrison Ford checked out at a grocery store 30ish years ago (Kroger, Morgantown WV) - no real interaction.

Picked up Fiesta Bowl tickets from NBA coach Cotton Fitzsimmons, at his home, in 1988.

Morgan Spurlock (maker of 'Supersize Me') is a friend of a friend - got a chance to meet him once through the friend.
    Murderbear
  • ThegelatokingThegelatoking Houston, TX
    I once saw and met Jason David Frank (Tommy Green Power Ranger) at a Dave and Busters. He was playing Time Crisis with his friends.
    cdriveJoshuaHeterMurderbear
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I met the Rock at a Gold's gym in Orlando, FL.  We were the only 2 people working out in there so I talked to him for a minute.  Super cool guy, the only person with him was his uncle and he was reading the newspaper in the lobby.  

It was weird I was on vacay and I'd just seen him at a movie premier event in Knoxville the week before.  I asked him why he was in Orlando and he said his wife wanted to go to Cirque de soliel so there he was.  

My ex wife got on an elevator one time with Muhammad Ali when she was a kid.
    Mofojones333MurderbearNoelmajjam0770
  • ThegelatokingThegelatoking Houston, TX
    edited August 4
    My mom and I took a picture with Jackie Chan holding me when I was a baby.  There's a photo of us in some old boxes somewhere.
    MurderbearCretanBullNoelmajjam0770
    This is bordering on mundane, but leaning to be a little more exciting than that. I'd say close to twenty years ago (sigh) some friends and I went to King's Island amusement park because Weird Al was playing at the concert venue inside the park, Timberwolf. We basically had enough money to go to King's Island but not enough to get in AND go to the show. We thought maybe we could hear it from some spot in the park and that would be good enough.

At some point in the afternoon, we went to ride one of the park's most famous coasters, The Beast. We got in line for the front cab, as you do. Chaz and Dave were next and then Chris and I were after them. The next coaster comes in and as the people are getting out, there he was. Walking up the exit ramp with a KI employee. Weird Al Yankovic. He got into the front cab and apologized to Dave and Chaz for taking their spot and pulled two concert tickets out of his shirt pocket and handed them to them. They quickly said "Hey these two are with us, can we get two more??" He looked at us and had to have seen the excitement in our eyes and said "Sure." He handed us our tickets, shook our hands, apologized yet again and then rode The Beast. It was kind of surreal because everyone there was going nuts.

Later we went to the show and it was absolutely amazing. Unfortunately the only time I've seen him but it will be hard to top!
    cdriveTravisJoshuaHetermajjam0770NoelMoonMan13
    @Murderbear , that’s literally the coolest fucking story ever! 
    TravisMurderbearNoel
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited August 4
    This is bordering on mundane, but leaning to be a little more exciting than that. I'd say close to twenty years ago (sigh) some friends and I went to King's Island amusement park because Weird Al was playing at the concert venue inside the park, Timberwolf. We basically had enough money to go to King's Island but not enough to get in AND go to the show. We thought maybe we could hear it from some spot in the park and that would be good enough.

At some point in the afternoon, we went to ride one of the park's most famous coasters, The Beast. We got in line for the front cab, as you do. Chaz and Dave were next and then Chris and I were after them. The next coaster comes in and as the people are getting out, there he was. Walking up the exit ramp with a KI employee. Weird Al Yankovic. He got into the front cab and apologized to Dave and Chaz for taking their spot and pulled two concert tickets out of his shirt pocket and handed them to them. They quickly said "Hey these two are with us, can we get two more??" He looked at us and had to have seen the excitement in our eyes and said "Sure." He handed us our tickets, shook our hands, apologized yet again and then rode The Beast. It was kind of surreal because everyone there was going nuts.

Later we went to the show and it was absolutely amazing. Unfortunately the only time I've seen him but it will be hard to top!
    That is super cool! Gotta love it when the people you dig end up being the cool people that you imagine them to be.

I have an incredibly anti-climactic Weird Al story. My buddy is an audio engineer and we were in a band together for years. The studio that he worked for had three studios and one of them was basically a large live room. We used to practice in there. One night we're doing so and see this cool two seating convertable in the parking lot (small parking lot so we knew it was someone there for the studio). On one of the periodic smoke breaks we stood around smoking and speculating about who it might belong to. Nicer car than usual. Then out walks Weird Al and we were pretty over the moon about it. We didn't bug him. Not really any of our style, and Jon worked there so we didn't want to make him look bad. It made practice extra fun though.

Another one about the studio. I didn't get to meet or even lay eyes on Lou Barlow, Russ Pollard, or Imaad Wasif, but one night we were making our record in the B studio and I was walking over to the kitchen for some water or something and hear this super cool riff coming out of the A room and it was kind of a "holy shit" moment in the listening sense. I come back and say to my buddy "who the hell is that. They're awesome." It was Folk Implosion (or The New Folk Implosion sans Davis and with Pollard and Wasif). It was the heavy riff section to Creature of Salt. I was pretty much at my peak fandom so I geeked out pretty hard on the fact that our record was being made right next door to theirs. 
    Murderbear
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited August 4
    @Murderbear

I’m flagging your post for the mods because in no way is that mundane. :)
    TravisMurderbearcdrivemajjam0770Noel
    I know I know, it's one of my best celebrity stories so I held onto it for a while. I just had to tell it though!
    JoshuaHeter
  • @Murderbear you made me feel all the nostalgia - used to go to King's Island and Cedar Point at least once every summer during my teenage years!  I lived in Columbus OH for awhile which is pretty much exactly between the two parks.  I always liked Cedar Point better for the coasters but I loved KI too!  I think every time I rode the Beast there was a group of frat boy types in the line yelling "The BEEEAAAST!!!"  over and over again.  At least that is my memory.  That is a great Weird Al story and definitely not mundane!
    Murderbear
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    ok well this isn't much mundane cause i was forced into meeting him (gonna get personal). so my dad left my mom for a lady named Connie. she had a son named Eddie (he was like 9 years older than me) who was drafted by the Twins around that time. we played catch, had Thanksgiving dinner together, went into town and met a hometown a friend that played in the NFL at the time (Webster Slaughter). eventually my dad told her to kick rocks cause she was bat shit crazy. around that time Eddie got called up to the Majors. he eventually became a legit major league ballplayer. uh so yeah, 'Everyday Eddie' almost was my step-brother :|

from what i remember, he was a cool ass dude.
    MichelleMurderbearcdriveTravisNoel
    edited August 5
    Chinaski said:
    ok well this isn't much mundane cause i was forced into meeting him (gonna get personal). so my dad left my mom for a lady named Connie. she had a son named Eddie (he was like 9 years older than me) who was drafted by the Twins around that time. we played catch, had Thanksgiving dinner together, went into town and met a hometown a friend that played in the NFL at the time (Webster Slaughter). eventually my dad told her to kick rocks cause she was bat shit crazy. around that time Eddie got called up to the Majors. he eventually became a legit major league ballplayer. uh so yeah, 'Everyday Eddie' almost was my step-brother :|

from what i remember, he was a cool ass dude.
    Okay Mundane Celebrity Encounters - Baseball Edition:

Astros player Enos Cabell's son was in my class / grade in Catholic school.  So I'd see Enos every blue moon up until 6th grade when my heathenism was too much for the school to handle.  Enos was kinda famous also in Houston through his car dealership.  Mundane as all hell!   Not "Went to amusement park to see weird Al without tickets but then ran into Weird Al himself who personally hands us tickets from his shirt pocket."   :D  
    TravisMurderbearChinaski
  • Another Vegas one I had forgotten about.
    At the Mandalay Bay.  We had just watched Euro Trip in the room, and went down to the floor and I swear to God we saw Scotty.  Me and my friend both did double takes at the same time.  
    TravisHatorianChinaski