Bald Move Guitar & Gear Nerds!

Comments

• kingbee67 said:
    I got a Fender Dreadnaught I cannot play to save my life. I’m thinking bass is my jam. Went to the Guitar Center the Squier starter pack was 330 or so is this a good deal? Should I go to a Indy store? Thanks for input. 
    That's a fair price, not a great bargain or a ripoff.  It's a pretty good pack for a starter...often these packs come with really crappy amps, but this one comes with a Rumble 15 which is decent-ish.

You'd get better value for money if you bought a used bass.  The one sold in this pack is an Affinity Squier which is their lower-end model (still pretty good though!).  You could probably find a used Classic Vibe Squier bass for $250 or so and with the $80 that you have leftover (from the $330 cost of the starter pack) you could buy a new Rumble 15 or have a look at whatever bass amps are available in that price range.

If you don't want to mess around with the used market, go for the starter pack - it's pretty good and really nice for beginners (WAY better than 'beginners' guitars used to be!).  I think that you'd get more mileage out of a Classic Vibe (I know 'pro' gigging musicians who play the Classic Vibe guitars) but if you're not sure about what to look for etc buying used has some risks.
    kingbee67
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited July 30
    I’m the same @kingbee67 ;
    I dabbled on reverb.com and you can get different squier basses for cheaper, but you figure $40 for the bag, strap, and chord... and then you don’t have much more for the amp. 

I’d say play it, see if you like it, and also see if it says made in Indonesia on the back. It should. Those Indonesia squiers are a steal with minor set up. It’s a good foundation. 
  • cdrive said:
    I dabbled on reverb.com and you can get different squier basses for cheaper, but you figure $40 for the bag, strap, and chord... and then you don’t have much more for the amp. 

I’d say play it, see if you like it, and also see if it says made in Indonesia on the back. It should. Those Indonesia squiers are a steal with minor set up. It’s a good foundation. 
    I'm pretty sure the Affinity line is made in China now, but the other Squiers are made in Indonesia.  Having said that, I have the J Mascis Jazzmaster, which was made in China and it's awesome.
    cdrive said:

I'm pretty sure the Affinity line is made in China now, but the other Squiers are made in Indonesia.  Having said that, I have the J Mascis Jazzmaster, which was made in China and it's awesome.
    Well I’m embarrassed but you’re right. My JMJM is also from China.  
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited July 30
    cdrive said:
    cdrive said:

There's actually a lot of good guitars made in China now...country of origin doesn't seem to matter as much as it used to.  I think it comes down to the companies, Squier (Fender) can put a little extra time/effort/cost to fit & finish so there's a much better chance of a Chinese Squier being significantly better than a smaller company's guitar that's also made in China.

EDIT: Have you played a Harley Benton?  They're mostly made in China and are great value guitars.
    cdrive said:
    cdrive said:

There's actually a lot of good guitars made in China now...country of origin doesn't seem to matter as much as it used to.  I think it comes down to the companies, Squier (Fender) can put a little extra time/effort/cost to fit & finish so there's a much better chance of a Chinese Squier being significantly better than a smaller company's guitar that's also made in China.

EDIT: Have you played a Harley Benton?  They're mostly made in China and are great value guitars.
    Totally agree.  How'd I get it so wrong and be so confident enough to give goofy advice?! Jeez I'm a walking Dunning-Kreuger effect.  I guess I formed that opinion years ago and then you blink and a decade goes by, but yeah...past years it just seems a Squier is really a screaming deal since the quality went up.

Anyways, I have not heard about Harley Benton at all.  What's the story on them?  I looked online and holy hell you can get a Gibson Explorer knock off for $300?! That'd be cool to get a Cheap Trick Rick Nielsen rig going...
  • OpusWho said:
    Nice!  That's the body that I used in the guitar that I posted above :)  I didn't ruin a Clapton strat to make mine, I bought the body off Stratosphere :)
    I just did what Pete did! I also always wanted pewter since I saw "24 nights". What can I say...I love 70-80 year old British guys that play guitar!
    CretanBull
  • cdrive said:

Anyways, I have not heard about Harley Benton at all.  What's the story on them?  I looked online and holy hell you can get a Gibson Explorer knock off for $300?! That'd be cool to get a Cheap Trick Rick Nielsen rig going...
    Harley Benton is the store brand for a German music store called Thomman..their stuff is really good at super affordable prices.  You can buy one of their cabinets that comes with a Celestian speaker for less than what it costs to buy the speaker alone!
    cdrive
  • Starting to get things unpacked/moved in.  Got a small game of D&D with these mythic creatures.

cdriveCretanBull
    GredalBee said:
    Starting to get things unpacked/moved in.  Got a small game of D&D with these mythic creatures.

Nice. A Klon, a Soul Food which IMO is a great klon klone, next what looks like another klon klone....Jesus are these all centaurs!?!  If you’re interested in adding another to your army here, I heard the Ryra Silver Klone is really nice.  
    CretanBull
  • I love the Soul Food....it's got to be the best value Klon clone out there.
    cdrive
    I love the Soul Food....it's got to be the best value Klon clone out there.
    Yes! I went pedal shopping with a buddy in January so he could unload some Christmas cash, and he put the Soul Food thru it’s paces. I was amazed. I said “dude if you do not buy that then I’m going to buy that!”  And it’s been haunting me ever since.  It’s 80 bucks! 
    CretanBull
  • I've had nothing but good experiences with all EHX pedals and for the most part they're cheap (for an American made pedal).
    cdrive
  • @cdrive My board is persnickety with buffer placement, so all my Klones are TB.  Ryra and the Centura are awesome, but they're buffered only.  I eventually want to add a Tumnus Deluxe with switchable buffer like what @CretanBull has on his board.  For aesthetics, you can't beat the Han-Taun.

httpsimagesreverbcomimageuploads--k6B7rluh--f_autot_largev1546834567wuivzdrvkjqqr5mkhq1ujpg

cdriveCretanBullByrdieScooey
    oh my god that artwork is glorious.  haha
    Gosh darn it, if those new mini fuzz faces aren't the most adorable little things ever! I just want to cradle them in my arms like little baby hedgehogs.

I've always had a fond memory of one of my 1st shows ever and bringing in Faceless Werewolves from Denton to Houston @ The Proletariat (RIP) and their guy was pulling some good stuff out of a plain ol' red fuzz face.  So I know it can go to cool places.  I just never got a fuzz face cause...I hesitate to say "basic" but it always seemed like a starter fuzz for some reason.  Or like "Oh really? You got the Hendrix fuzz?" (said in a mocking tone).  And they're just so big.  But man the JHS Smiley in that Legends series earlier this year sounded so nice.  It was so hard to go Supreme over Smiley.  And now with 'Honey I Shrunk The Fuzz Pedals', they're so ...I'm gonna say it....cute...and tiny.  I think I'm going to go with the Germanium one.    
    CretanBull
  • edited August 15
    Can you talk a bit more about the Ryra vs the Han-Tuan? I wet my beak with the Caline Pegasus (ducks), but have been on the cusp of pulling the trigger on a high end klone, with the Ryra being the current leader in the clubhouse. EDIT: I don't have issues with buffer placement at present (fuzz factory is first in chain).

GredalBee said:
    @cdrive My board is persnickety with buffer placement, so all my Klones are TB.  Ryra and the Centura are awesome, but they're buffered only.  I eventually want to add a Tumnus Deluxe with switchable buffer like what @CretanBull has on his board.  For aesthetics, you can't beat the Han-Taun.

httpsimagesreverbcomimageuploads--k6B7rluh--f_autot_largev1546834567wuivzdrvkjqqr5mkhq1ujpg

cdrive
  • edited August 18
    @cdrive I never really liked fuzz pedals.  *runs*

@Byrdie It depends on what you're using it for.  When it comes to a classic klon push/boost, I think most klones are in the same ballpark at low gain and treble at 1:00.  As a boost, the Ryra isn't necessarily better than the rest.  Some are designed for higher gain usage (The Kingdom and Haun-Taun), the Tumnus has 3 band EQ, Ponyboy and others have toggles for different voicings... just depends on what you want.  The Ceriatone Centura is the best klone I've played and it's basically a DIY style PCB kit.  Worst-case scenario, go with whatever is prettiest. :D
    cdrive
  • GredalBee said:

cdrive
    edited August 16
    GredalBee said:

Hey they certainly aren’t everyone’s cup of tea and they don’t fit for everything.

What’s everyone’s feel on treble boosters?  I’d like to add 1 really good treble booster.  I got clones for a super hard on and a dual stage clean boost, but I’d like a nice 60s style treble booster a la Dallas Rangemaster.  Something w/ germanium if anyone has some recommendations!  Thinking about an Analogman Beano Boost...

edit: maybe an Earthquaker Bows....easier on the wallet.  
  • These are (nowadays) more art projects than they are musical instruments. But, thought I’d share w/ the Bald Move guitar nerds...
    cdriveCretanBull
  • Another GAS related question I've been mulling. Looking at getting a super weird ambient reverb, currently narrowed to the Walrus Slo or the Earthquaker Aftermath V3. Anybody have experience with either?
    edited August 16
    Byrdie said:
    Another GAS related question I've been mulling. Looking at getting a super weird ambient reverb, currently narrowed to the Walrus Slo or the Earthquaker Aftermath V3. Anybody have experience with either?
    You’ve narrowed down well to have those 2 as your finalists.  My buddy has an Afterneath and loves it.  That thing is so unique and ambient AF.  

Edit:  Lmao @ GAS.  Yep I think many have it bad this year. 
  • cdrive said:
    GredalBee said:

Hey they certainly aren’t everyone’s cup of tea and they don’t fit for everything.

What’s everyone’s feel on treble boosters?  I’d like to add 1 really good treble booster.  I got clones for a super hard on and a dual stage clean boost, but I’d like a nice 60s style treble booster a la Dallas Rangemaster.  Something w/ germanium if anyone has some recommendations!  Thinking about an Analogman Beano Boost...

edit: maybe an Earthquaker Bows....easier on the wallet.  
    If you're insisting on germanium, nothing will beat the Beano - it's the best, hands down.  I'll say this though, I had a Catalinbread Naga Viper (silicon) and it was fantastic.  I A/B'ed it with a friend's Beano and in both of our opinions the Beano only really sounded better at really high volume - when cranked, the Beano had an extra level of crunch that the Naga Viper was missing. I honestly think that like 9/10 players would be just as happy with the Naga Viper (and its a fraction of the price!).  I ended up selling mine, but it wasn't because I didn't like it - I just realized that a treble boost wasn't really suited for my bedroom-player style of play.
    cdrive
  • These are (nowadays) more art projects than they are musical instruments. But, thought I’d share w/ the Bald Move guitar nerds...
    What is that 335 style guitar?
  • Byrdie said:
    Another GAS related question I've been mulling. Looking at getting a super weird ambient reverb, currently narrowed to the Walrus Slo or the Earthquaker Aftermath V3. Anybody have experience with either?
    I've heard demos of the Slo but never messed around with one.  The EQD Aftermath is great though.  I'd also recommend the Neunaber Immerse Reverberator MkII.  If you want to blow up your bank account, the Dr. Scientist Atomsphere can't be beaten for weird ambient sounds.

• Byrdie said:
    I've heard demos of the Slo but never messed around with one.  The EQD Aftermath is great though.  I'd also recommend the Neunaber Immerse Reverberator MkII.  If you want to blow up your bank account, the Dr. Scientist Atomsphere can't be beaten for weird ambient sounds.

Yea, the Slo seems like it might be a bit more "traditionally weird" (that's a thing right?) and more user friendly than the Afterneath based on my YouTubing. I haven't dived into the Neunaber yet, each time I add a contender its another days worth of listening/watching samples/demos. I probably don't want to go too hard on the account but without the ability to go to the damn store I'm thinking of just getting two and selling one later (I never end up selling either pedal in this scenario historically, y'all know how it goes).   

I just dismantled my board to track down an issue. Hopefully have it put back together sometime this week and will post a pic.
    cdrive
  • edited August 16
    I don't love the colour, but I got it through a series of trades and came relatively cheap to me so I couldn't pass it up.  It originally came with Burstbucker pro pickups, but the previous owner pulled them out and put a pair of Seymour Duncan Slash pickups (I think they sound terrible!) in it so it's not all original.  I'm going to pull those pickups out ASAP and either restore it to original by putting Burstbuckers pros back in it, or maybe put 57 Classics (my favourite LP pickups!) in it.
    Sick LP, way to flip it for the gold top. I've pimped out a couple of Epiphones (LP and 335) in the past and, back then, I settled on a combo of 57 classic in the neck and a 57 classic plus in the bridge. The plus is just a bit hotter but def has that PAF tone, and the blend gives a nice volume balance. 
    CretanBull
    GAS af, y’all. I swear I’m good on fuzz now. No more fuzz.  :#

Byrdie