What grinds my gears (today)

1181921232430

Comments

  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    awookiee said:
    cdrive said:
    Ahhh mannn!  So Centerpoint Energy decides to do a planned power outage for maintenance work on my block conveniently right during the 1st televised Astros game in many months, therefore knocking out my DVR.  :/  
    That's a huge bummer. I'm not into baseball that much but I understand people have been sports deprived for so long that I understand how much people were truly looking forward to baseball being back.
    Thanks, man.  You've always been so cool, @awookiee
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    cdrive said:
    Ahhh mannn!  So Centerpoint Energy decides to do a planned power outage for maintenance work on my block conveniently right during the 1st televised Astros game in many months, therefore knocking out my DVR.  :/  
    I mean, it’s the Astros though, so no big loss, right?  :sweat_smile:
    cdriveNoelawookiee
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Cilantro in coleslaw.  WHY.
    cdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Michelle said:
    cdrive said:
    Ahhh mannn!  So Centerpoint Energy decides to do a planned power outage for maintenance work on my block conveniently right during the 1st televised Astros game in many months, therefore knocking out my DVR.  :/  
    I mean, it’s the Astros though, so no big loss, right?  :sweat_smile:
    We hit more home runs than the amount of times we got beaned! This is a stat I’m going to follow.... 
    Michelle
  • Not really grinding my gears but didn’t want to create a new thread and didn’t find a better one. 

    This photo has NOT aged well...


  • MichelleMichelle California
    Am I the only one having a hard time believing the Ellen stuff?  She always seemed (and came off) as genuinely caring and selfless, with a lot of friends (albeit it celebrity friends, but still friends nonetheless, and many of them are decent people), always working tirelessly with her wife for animal preservation, giving tons of free stuff, money, etc to deserving families, etc.  I dunno, I guess anything could be true but at the same time, one sour apple can ruin a whole barrel of good ones.  Just like a bitter, petty person with a chip on their shoulder can ruin a good person's reputation.  I guess we'll see what happens though.
  • I don’t know. Apparently even some of her close celebrity friends have cut ties with her and aren’t backing her up. 


  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle Nah, there’s been stories about her for years. One or two people complaining, i would give her the benefit of the doubt, but there are tons. You just don’t waste enough time in celebrity gossip sites. ;-)
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I’m going back to work in the office tomorrow and in a phone in meeting this morning my team leader was talking about this kitchen roster where everyone has to take turns cleaning up the office kitchen and you have to do it on tea break. So I’m like, well I’m not spending my tea break cleaning up other people’s mess and also I’m not touching other people’s stuff and I don’t want other people touching my stuff. 

    And then I get Skyped from a bunch of other people telling me they agree with me. THEN FUCKING SAY SO, YOU GUTLESS LOSERS. I always look like the annoying complainer because all these fuckheads think the same as me but are too scared to say it. 
    MichelleChinaskiNoelFreddyvik83h
  • MichelleMichelle California
    That's so lame!  How about everyone just cleans up their own messes like grownups?
    And also, I don't think they can legally make you do work on your break...?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle No, they can’t make us legally, but they work on that one-in-all-in guilt tripping thing to get everyone to do that shit. Only that doesn’t work on me - I don’t care if the rest of the team is pissed off because I didn’t do my day of cleaning out the coffee maker that I don’t use. 
    Michelle
  • edited August 2020
    Michelle said:
    Am I the only one having a hard time believing the Ellen stuff?  She always seemed (and came off) as genuinely caring and selfless, with a lot of friends (albeit it celebrity friends, but still friends nonetheless, and many of them are decent people), always working tirelessly with her wife for animal preservation, giving tons of free stuff, money, etc to deserving families, etc.  I dunno, I guess anything could be true but at the same time, one sour apple can ruin a whole barrel of good ones.  Just like a bitter, petty person with a chip on their shoulder can ruin a good person's reputation.  I guess we'll see what happens though.
    I am not at all surprised. The Bush friendship was the end for me. Once you're self-centered enough to brush off a half million (as a low estimate) civilian deaths in a pointless war and an active crusade against gay rights as just differences of opinion, and basically say that actually it's the people saying you shouldn't be friends with a war criminal who are wrong, I have pretty much 0 interest in giving you the benefit of the doubt. Also, her "apology" was complete pass-the-buck bullshit. 

    Edit for clarity. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited August 2020
    I was craving really fluffy, moist scrambled eggs for lunch so I went to the restaurant nearest work for takeout.  What i got was semi-warm, dense, and flat like they just poured them out on the grill and flipped them once like a pancake. Sigh.  I know it's just eggs, but every chef in any capacity should know how to make the perfect scrambled eggs and these ain't it.

    Dee
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited August 2020
    Our tax system is totally fucking bogus!!!
    I just finished a return for a guy and his wife. I don't fault them of course. They're very nice people. That said, they made ~$188,500 and only generated $12,800 in taxes (all eaten up by credit for kids and what was left over from the solar they did in 2018, nothing paid in and literally don't owe a dime, but those credits are legit and fine). Only $12,800 because it's all capital gains and qualified dividends. If you put that exact same amount in as a W-2 it generates $27,800 in taxes. Well more than double on the same Standard Deduction return. We have this shit so backwards. Work for a living and you pay tons more than if you already have money and just kick back and let it grow. We should treat wages like capital gains and capital gains like wages. This is a ludicrous way to structure taxes! Absolutely fucking ridiculous! This is our government presenting a value system, making the statement that there is more societal value in having your profession be "rich person who hangs out" than someone who actually works. It's bullshit!

    Just to note, this is a both parties problem. This shit has been around at least since Reagan so both parties have had plenty of opportunities to fix it. No one wants to piss off Wall Street though and apparently they all believe that they can just shine people on and say they're all about populism and not have to do anything about this. It's a joke. 
    Dee
  • A just graduated RN who has minor flu like symptoms that just recently came from Florida wants to come join us on my uncles boat...really? Seems like this person should be the first to know they need to stay home
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Hatorian said:
    A just graduated RN who has minor flu like symptoms that just recently came from Florida wants to come join us on my uncles boat...really? Seems like this person should be the first to know they need to stay home
    Yeah, they need to stay home and quarantine.  There's no way I'd be into letting them onto the boat.  Not to be judgy, but in this day & age 'minor flu like symptoms' could be nothing, or it could be Covid.  Plus, coming from Florida?  No.
    Noel
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited August 2020
    Michelle said:
    Hatorian said:
    A just graduated RN who has minor flu like symptoms that just recently came from Florida wants to come join us on my uncles boat...really? Seems like this person should be the first to know they need to stay home
    Yeah, they need to stay home and quarantine.  There's no way I'd be into letting them onto the boat.  Not to be judgy, but in this day & age 'minor flu like symptoms' could be nothing, or it could be Covid.  Plus, coming from Florida?  No.
    Yep. They should know and it’s a bit rude to make my uncle say no. But it was the only calll to make. Especially with some of us going to be around kids or old people. 
    MichelleNoel

  • Incompetent government officials that have been fucking us up the ass for decades...
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    our mountains are burning at a scary rate. it's north from me but damn it still scary (esp with constant phone alerts). i have friends in the area that i'm not hearing back from. i wanna drop a top rope elbow on 2020 so bad! :#
  • Travis said:
    Our tax system is totally fucking bogus!!!
    I just finished a return for a guy and his wife. I don't fault them of course. They're very nice people. That said, they made ~$188,500 and only generated $12,800 in taxes (all eaten up by credit for kids and what was left over from the solar they did in 2018, nothing paid in and literally don't owe a dime, but those credits are legit and fine). Only $12,800 because it's all capital gains and qualified dividends. If you put that exact same amount in as a W-2 it generates $27,800 in taxes. Well more than double on the same Standard Deduction return. We have this shit so backwards. Work for a living and you pay tons more than if you already have money and just kick back and let it grow. We should treat wages like capital gains and capital gains like wages. This is a ludicrous way to structure taxes! Absolutely fucking ridiculous! This is our government presenting a value system, making the statement that there is more societal value in having your profession be "rich person who hangs out" than someone who actually works. It's bullshit!

    Just to note, this is a both parties problem. This shit has been around at least since Reagan so both parties have had plenty of opportunities to fix it. No one wants to piss off Wall Street though and apparently they all believe that they can just shine people on and say they're all about populism and not have to do anything about this. It's a joke. 

    The way that wealth inequality has sky-rocketed in the US since 1980 is weird and scary. Glad we don't have that over here in Europe (or at least not nearly as much).
  • It's 2020 and traffic lights still don't dynamically respond to weather conditions. When it rains (not just a drizzle) pedestrians and cyclists should get green lights all the time every time.
    Noel
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Chinaski said:
    our mountains are burning at a scary rate. it's north from me but damn it still scary (esp with constant phone alerts). i have friends in the area that i'm not hearing back from. i wanna drop a top rope elbow on 2020 so bad! :#
    Ugh, we are only a couple of months off that yearly horror here - I hope your friends are okay. :-(
    Chinaski
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited August 2020
    I don’t want political advertising on my social networking apps!

    i hate seeing adds full of racist bullshit conspiracy theories!  If they have to shut them down then so be it. I’ve really had enough. I had a major incidenta atl my house. I mean real bad with a racist neighbor this past weekend. He was all pumped up with rhetoric on these conspiracies that have been going around. I can’t say that he gets this from social media but I see this kind of shit on there. You give the ignorant people this information and you can have all kinds of danger. I guess that’s what’s grinding my gears.
    Dee
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited August 2020
    Chinaski said:
    I just read about that & was coming here to post - are you and your family ok?  Hopefully you haven't had to evacuate, and your friends are safe!
    Chinaski
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    @Chinaski hope you’re okay man. Thinking about you and your peeps in that area.  Heartbreaking that people are going to lose homes, and hopefully, no lives this time. 

    Also my gear grind... as if Covid isn’t enough...

    Hi from Houston:


    ChinaskiMichelle
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited August 2020
    thanks @Michelle and @cdrive. so far we're good but the town over got put on an evacuation warning this morning which sucks. heard back from some friends that are in Boulder Creek where they were ordered to evacuate last night :( . it's really gross outside, really smokey and reeks of smoke. the air quality is really bad. they've advised residents to stay indoors (umm like i haven't been doing that for the last 5 months anyways).
    cdriveDeeMichelle
  • Bitcoin will never ever be worth 100k+ until they make the buying process easier. Right now you need to provide your birth certificate, SSN, last 2 years payslips, every address you ever lived at, the answer to who created the universe and more..it’s ridiculously.

    all I want to do is buy like $500 worth of bitcoin and it’s freaking a nightmare...

    anyone have a legit site that just lets you sign in. Use your CC to buy a small amount and then transfer that to an exchange to use without giving up your entire life story and personal details?
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    @Chinaski how are you today? My friends in Felton and Ben Lomand were evacuated yesterday. Stay safe. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited August 2020
    @Chinaski, I’m hoping you’re still safe and in your home today.  Let us know you’re ok. :heart:

    Speaking of fires, on behalf of all Californians who don’t worship him: FUCK YOU, TRUMP.  https://abc7news.com/politics/trump-criticizes-ca-handling-of-wildfires-they-dont-listen-to-us/6380704/
Sign In or Register to comment.