THE BOYS Season 2 (Spoilers)

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Well laser my tits, the podcast is out! 

https://baldmove.com/the-boys/s02e05-we-gotta-go-now/
    DeeGeorge
    Fun fact, I had to suppress saying "laser my tits" several times on our streams this week. It's one of the funniest line readings of the year. They must laugh so hard on these sets!

MarciGeorge
  • I felt like this episode was a bit slower than the rest, but they were laying a lot of necessary groundwork for future episode (e.g. Homelander & Stromfront, Maeve's crisis, A-Train becoming even more disillusioned with Vought [Stormfront was racist to his face!])

The whole "Black Noir" part felt a bit anticlimactic to me. I really was hoping that Black Noir was looking to defect, but at least now we have Billy & Edgar squared off.

And I wasn't able to say this in the @JamieT Out! thread (it's been locked), but I'm really sorry to see her go. She's been an institution at BaldMove since I joined years ago, and it's gonna be strange not having her input on the forums.
    JoshTheBlackblacksunrise7
  • I also thought it was a bit slow. 

I felt Stormfront played off the blatant racism to A-train as supes v humans just enough to put a little doubt in his mind. He's probably 90% certain she's a racist, but I wonder if that doubt is enough to keep things peaceful for now. I don't think A-train would survive that fight.

#lasermytits
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Stormfront wants a little Homeland baby of her own, right?
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I think this is the first time I've had negative feedback for this show. Like a few said before episode 5 was slow - and really for no reason. The parts that actually moved the storyline could have been achieved in 10 minutes. I couldn't wait for more Black Noir but I would completely cut the aunt/blow up house scene. I love the plotting against Homelander and hope this leads to a civil war. Or perhaps a murder mystery? Who killed Homelander?

Have no clue where Storm Front is heading, but I hope we are spared any more violent sex scenes. It was both uninteresting and in bad taste.

Even a great show can have a mediocre episode. I do not believe the finale will disappoint!
  • Oh wow. I just realized the doll he gave his dog at the end with the instructions to fuck it was a Homelander doll!

I guess the Black Noir defection theory loses some steam here.  Seems he was going after Butcher at Edgar's command. 
  • Oh wow. I just realized the doll he gave his dog at the end with the instructions to fuck it was a Homelander doll!

I guess the Black Noir defection theory loses some steam here.  Seems he was going after Butcher at Edgar's command. 
    Yeah I was surprised that there was zero mention of this on the pod. I don’t know if the guys didn’t catch it or just thought it was eyerolly. I got a chuckle out of it 

I thought it was something like a keyser soze power move, Edgar wants to use the boys if he needs to put pressure on the seven. Wish there was some dialog supporting this like you owe me one for  calling back black noir and he can find you again at any time you step too far out of line.
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    edited September 2020
    It is hard to believe there are only 3 episodes left in the season. Sometimes I get the argument for not watching trailers as at the moment, I'm surprised they haven't touched on plots that that seemed to hint at. And some plots, like Komiko and Frenchie, I wonder how they can resolve it this season in a satisfying way. Maybe they won't, though, and we'll have multiple cliffhangers this time around. 

MM staring down BB made me very intrigued how that particular throwdown would go. It would be entertaining, no doubt. 

I did appreciate the planning session for marketing campaign Vought wants to do with Maeve and Elena. Reminded me of any time a major brand tries to express solidarity for a social movement. Or, perhaps, express solidarity during a pandemic for a brief moment. 

Shawn Ashmore making an appearance is interesting. You don't just cameo him with two lines without plans to bring him back. 

Back to Maeve, big moment in this one when she admits to Elena that she hopes to bring Homelander down. And then appears to being maneuvering the Deep into her influence. I could see a long game for the show where a faction of Capes align themselves against Homelander. Annie is still a fundamentally good person and Maeve, A-Train, and the Deep have all had varying degrees of intimidation and shame under Homelander's tyranny. Even a guy like Edgar might be convinced that a loose cannon like Homelander isn't conducive to Vought's long term survival. 

Plus, with Homelander's image getting a rebound by the end of this episode using Stormfront's online strategy of positive memes and wrapping himself in the flag, the show going the route of Maeve and co. running a #Resistance movement while Homelander gets more outwardly patriotic doesn't seem outside of the realm of possibility for this show. 
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    edited September 2020
    Spoiler regarding Shawn Ashmore's role in future episodes.

Shawn Ashmore was reported to be taking the role of Lamplighter.  Former member of The Seven.  This is backed up by IMDB.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Spoiler regarding Shawn Ashmore's role in future episodes.

Shawn Ashmore was reported to be taking the role of Lamplighter.  Former member of The Seven.  This is backed up by IMDB.
    I saw that spoiler on IMDb when I was checking to see which Ashmore that was.  I was kind of hoping it was Aaron.  Confirmed this episode.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Has anyone else watched episode 6 yet?
    Murderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Yes holy shit! And I think our boys might be playing with fire with that thumbnail for the podcast on YouTube! Ha!

Thia show is a thing of beauty. Disgusting, brutal, twisted beauty.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • just finished it.   

Spoilers for Ep 6 ahead:   

I thought for sure they were gonna kill one of the boys this episode.  The tension seemed to be building to that but they didn't.  I mostly predicted the Stormfront arc (pats self on back), I just thought she was Vought's daughter and not wife.  Oh well.  Her being a founder of Vought who probably still owns a lions share is interesting.  She is basically responsible for Homelander - watched him grow up in a lab and all that.  Also she does seem genuinely scared of him when he is menacing her.   
    I mostly really liked the episode.   I did think it got a bit melodramatic at times with the Frenchie and Lamplighter  stuff but it didn't bother me that much.  I liked learning that backstory.   It's nice to see Butcher warming up to a Supe.   Maybe there is hope for him and Becca's kid.  I like where they are going with Starlight.  The church storyline is interesting too.  I think they are aligned with Stormfront somehow, or at least used to be.  She did say she used to be a member last episode.  So much to tie up with just a couple episodes left!

• edited September 2020
    Blow The Bloody Doors off Meaning... In the UK (where Butcher is supposed to be from) this expression is commonly used now. It derives from Michael Caines character in 'The Italian Job'. As he observes the smouldering wreckage of a security van (they were trying to break into, using dynamite) he shouts 'You were just supposed to blow the bloody doors off!'... now this expression is used whenever an action has far greater (even catastrophic) repercussions than was intended... which just about sums up The Boys!
    DoubleTDeeDJ_150
  • I was truly worried for MM as his throat was under attack.
  • This morning I was thinking about when A-Train was training with his brother, who said that A-Train needs something like 10,000 calories per hour. Which got me wondering if the other supes need a crazy high caloric intake. How much food energy would it take for Homelander to penetrate a large crowd, front to back? Well if you use 5 gallons of water as a analog for a human torso, it takes about 100,000 calories to per body. And that's if you could transfer the energy perfectly, which isn't possible. It would probably take longer too. So if he killed about 500 people in that scene, its safe to say he burned way more than 50,000,000 calories with his "laser" (a la Dr. Evil). Dats uhlotta milk. 

A_Ron_Hubbardbazjenster
  • When I do fan fiction / alternative dialogues in my head for this show it's pretty messed up. :-)
    EsotericEric
    Blow The Bloody Doors off Meaning... In the UK (where Butcher is supposed to be from) this expression is commonly used now. It derives from Michael Caines character in 'The Italian Job'. As he observes the smouldering wreckage of a security van (they were trying to break into, using dynamite) he shouts 'You were just supposed to blow the bloody doors off!'... now this expression is used whenever an action has far greater (even catastrophic) repercussions than was intended... which just about sums up The Boys!

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. It's wild that meaning hasn't made it across the pond yet. Maybe The Boys will finally import it.
    bazjenster
    This morning I was thinking about when A-Train was training with his brother, who said that A-Train needs something like 10,000 calories per hour. Which got me wondering if the other supes need a crazy high caloric intake. How much food energy would it take for Homelander to penetrate a large crowd, front to back? Well if you use 5 gallons of water as a analog for a human torso, it takes about 100,000 calories to per body. And that's if you could transfer the energy perfectly, which isn't possible. It would probably take longer too. So if he killed about 500 people in that scene, its safe to say he burned way more than 50,000,000 calories with his "laser" (a la Dr. Evil). Dats uhlotta milk. 

Please send that in to dhs@baldmove.com. I love shit like that. Doing the math on fake science, it's my jam.
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    edited September 2020
    I've got a longer thought on Frenchie that I might email in. Pretty good episode, though. Is this the first time we've heard Frenchie and MM's real first names? Or did Butcher mention them in the first season when he was recruiting them?

If anything, I had a couple of nits to pick. Like how amazing it is that Frenchie and Cherie have the same hairstyles eight years before this episode takes place. Strange, since different hair is how TV and film often portrays the passage of time. At least Frenchie spikes it up a bit three years later. Cherie has lived life seemingly unchanged in her look for nearly a decade. 

Do they explain why Cindy couldn't use her powers to escape her room in the first place? She seems to be a very powerful telekinetic. What was stopping her before the door got blown off? 

I am a little disappointed to discover what Maeve's plan was. I was torn between whether Elena was horrified that Maeve would be willing to abandon that plane of people or whether she was about to exclaim "THAT was your plan to 'take Homelander down'?!?! Why wouldn't he just kill us both?!" 

Edit: Also, how can we not note the wonderfully ironic casting they went with by putting Shawn Ashmore in the role of a character who has the exact same power as his biggest rival in X-Men? They took Iceman and cast him as Pyro. He even uses a (suitably raunchy) lighter to get a flame he can control, just as Pyro did in the second film. 
    Cory
  • Funny seeing an older lt disher (from monk) in this episode, nice death they gave him :)
    DJ_150
  • jhpark said:
    Funny seeing an older lt disher (from monk) in this episode, nice death they gave him :)
    I was wondering where I'd seen him.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Considering only what was said or shown - I am confused by storm fronts story.

She is Liberty.  
    She was a member of the Nazi party, Voights wife, and willingly allowed compound V to be injected.
    As an adult.
    But they are experimenting because they don’t know how to successfully inject an adult.
    And she doesn’t age.
    But the other supes were injected as babies and clearly age. 

Bueller? 
    tom_gEsotericEric
  • I wonder if it's just not nearly as consistently dependable with adults. Sometimes it takes without unworkable side effects, like with Kimiko and her brother, but most of the time it doesn't. 
  • This morning I was thinking about when A-Train was training with his brother, who said that A-Train needs something like 10,000 calories per hour. Which got me wondering if the other supes need a crazy high caloric intake. How much food energy would it take for Homelander to penetrate a large crowd, front to back? Well if you use 5 gallons of water as a analog for a human torso, it takes about 100,000 calories to per body. And that's if you could transfer the energy perfectly, which isn't possible. It would probably take longer too. So if he killed about 500 people in that scene, its safe to say he burned way more than 50,000,000 calories with his "laser" (a la Dr. Evil). Dats uhlotta milk. 

This guy did the monster math!

Teresa from Concord said:

She is Liberty.  
    She was a member of the Nazi party, Voights wife, and willingly allowed compound V to be injected.
    As an adult.
    But they are experimenting because they don’t know how to successfully inject an adult.
    And she doesn’t age.

Bueller? 
    I was just assuming that adults were unpredictable.  Sometimes it takes, sometimes it kills.  Didn't Homelander inject a bunch of terrorists in a plot to get the 7 authorized to fight terrorism?  (Or orchestrate sending V to them anyway.)  I feel like there was something about that being pretty unreliable, but I might be confusing The Boys s1 plot with Project Power (similar theme of chemical born supes) or Doom Patrol (similar theme of cynical supes, but less gruesome and with more heart) as I've watched both of those in the time since season 1.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Didn't Homelander inject a bunch of terrorists in a plot to get the 7 authorized to fight terrorism?  (Or orchestrate sending V to them anyway.)
    Yup, I think he got A-Train to take it all over the world.

Teresa from Concord said:

She is Liberty.  
    As an adult.
    And she doesn’t age.

Bueller? 
    I was just assuming that adults were unpredictable.  Sometimes it takes, sometimes it kills.  Didn't Homelander inject a bunch of terrorists in a plot to get the 7 authorized to fight terrorism?  (Or orchestrate sending V to them anyway.)  I feel like there was something about that being pretty unreliable, but I might be confusing The Boys s1 plot with Project Power (similar theme of chemical born supes) or Doom Patrol (similar theme of cynical supes, but less gruesome and with more heart) as I've watched both of those in the time since season 1.

I think this is right. Homelander did a batshit and unsanctioned version of what Vought was doing at Sage Grove. We probably only saw the "super villains" it worked reasonably well with. The really unstable ones never saw the light of day.

The other possibility is that Storm Front/Liberty was a special project by Vought, a custom one off thing he did just for her. Where as Compound V is the generic one size fits all. Or it could be they just got lucky. I think she's an inverse analogy to Captain America. Cap was a one shot hail mary kind of thing, that happened to turn out pretty good. If Steve Rogers turned into a giant tumor and exploded when he got injected with Super Soldier Serum we'd just never have heard about him.
  • The cold open this week bummed me the fuck out. Our minds are fragile and vulnerable and it's kind of terrifying.
    DeeDummyhisdudeness915