Fargo S4 (Spoilers)

Comments

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Just watched. Did anyone else notice issues with the sound? It sporadically got real loud like a truck was rumbling through the scene. It really took away from a good episode. 
    GredalBeeJoshTheBlack
  • Just watched. Did anyone else notice issues with the sound? It sporadically got real loud like a truck was rumbling through the scene. It really took away from a good episode. 

Yeah, it sounded like some really poor compression.  I thought it was intentional at first.  They started talking about Odis in the war right as the sound got jacked up, then it just got shitty by the end of the episode.
  • I hate to quibble. 

The Chris Rock character said the boxer was known to have one of the best right crosses, something you'd say about an orthodox boxer, but, the boxer was clearly being shown as a southpaw. 

There I've said my peace. 

My favorite season so far.
    FreddyA_Ron_HubbardChinaski
    edited October 2020
    Was wondering why there was no coverage of this weeks episode and then realized the Fargo podcast was no longer in my library. I re-subscribed and notice the “album cover” is different. Don't know if it’s me, Apple, or BM but I can’t make it through the day without a BM fix B)  
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • Does anyone know a way around the 404 errors? I'm trying to listen to season 2 and 3 coverage and nothing seems to be working.
  • edited October 2020
    While this is season is certainly good I think it ranks at the bottom for me. Chris Rock is doing a fantastic job in a serious role but it doesn't feel natural at all, you can tell he's putting in an effort to act. Previous seasons didn't have that and I feel like Jason Schwartzman was just straight miscast. I understand the character they are going for with the role but he's not doing it for me. 

Also I understand the tie in this season in KC to the Fargo universe but it just feels like a different show. Nurse Mayflower is the only one with the classic Minnesota accent and she's had less than 5 minutes of screentime in the past 2 episodes. Ethelrida while being a "main" character really hasn't done much to add to the plot this season. Timothy Olyphants character is great and he's perfect for it but he's hardly in the show. It reminds me of how season 3 wasted Carrie Coon.

With all this being said it's still an amazing season of television in an awful year for television. It's just a bit of a disappointment to me for a season of Fargo compared to past seasons. Maybe the final 4 episodes will make up for it but I don't have my hopes up.

Specifically about this past Sunday's episode (#6 I believe). How did Gaetano not die from getting shot in the back of the head. When he is tied up it almost looks like it was just a graze but then how did he get knocked unconscious from that? Podcast hasn't been released yet so the guys will likely cover this but I'm really confused by that. Gonna be doing a rewatch today after work before I listen to the podcast tomorrow.
    Chinaski

• awookiee said:
    Specifically about this past Sunday's episode (#6 I believe). How did Gaetano not die from getting shot in the back of the head. When he is tied up it almost looks like it was just a graze but then how did he get knocked unconscious from that?
    The bullet grazed the side of his head but unlike in action movies it was probably like getting hit in the head with a hammer and knocked him out.

• edited October 2020
    lengmo said:

awookiee said:
    Specifically about this past Sunday's episode (#6 I believe). How did Gaetano not die from getting shot in the back of the head. When he is tied up it almost looks like it was just a graze but then how did he get knocked unconscious from that?
    The bullet grazed the side of his head but unlike in action movies it was probably like getting hit in the head with a hammer and knocked him out.

Yeah I just rewatched that part and on 2nd watch it is clear she grazes his head. Still not sure how that would knock a person out but it's much better than what I made it out to sound like. Still doesn't change my feelings about everything else I said but I'm glad that clears that part up. 
    lengmo said:

awookiee said:

IMO it looked like she aimed point blank into his brain. I actually cheered that Gaetano was dead. I don't understand the point of that character and I really don't want him in future episodes. I can't tell you  how many times I said, "Wait. He's alive? WTF?" when they showed him sitting in a chair. Perhaps this is the real mystery to solve this season?

I agree with @awookiee that this is not my favorite season, even though I'm a non-white Italian that appreciates how the story is expanding the definition of racism.

awookiee
  • awookiee said:
    Yeah I just rewatched that part and on 2nd watch it is clear she grazes his head. Still not sure how that would knock a person out but it's much better than what I made it out to sound like. Still doesn't change my feelings about everything else I said but I'm glad that clears that part up. 

I guess the confusion is the imprecision of the word 'graze'.  I'm assuming the bullet was in sufficient contact to transfer significant energy to the skull and thus the brain, knocking him out.  https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2018/06/08/bullet-grazes-mans-head-detroit-shooting/684516002/

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    jleav382 said:
    Does anyone know a way around the 404 errors? I'm trying to listen to season 2 and 3 coverage and nothing seems to be working.

Where are you getting 404 errors?
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    awookiee said:
    While this is season is certainly good I think it ranks at the bottom for me. Chris Rock is doing a fantastic job in a serious role but it doesn't feel natural at all, you can tell he's putting in an effort to act. Previous seasons didn't have that and I feel like Jason Schwartzman was just straight miscast. I understand the character they are going for with the role but he's not doing it for me.
    agree with this. when Chris Rock raises his voice i just think of the way he rants in his standup. as far as Schwartzman goes, i've never been fan. i actually thought i was going to hate him more in Fargo. he's been tolerable i guess.

still really liking this season and the 50's setting. super stylistic and some of the color pallets in scenes have really stood out to me. there was a scene in episode 5 where it was Josto, Satchel and Rabbi in a room. it just popped, from the wardrobe, to furniture and curtains. then there was light coming is mixing with Josto's cigarette smoke. so good!

awookiee
  • edited October 2020
    Hey Aron I know you were trying to find out where that picture was from and this reddit post answers your question.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FargoTV/comments/jk8qar/anyone_know_what_painting_this_is_and_what_it/

Its an amazing looking piece of art.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
    Is it me but I am so confused by the pacing of this show. So little happens in an episode. When I think about previous seasons they didn’t have this problem. 

And once again the women get minimal air time. I’m not even sure how Ethelrida or nurse Mayflower fit in. And though not a women Timothy Olyphant is also seriously underutilize. 

Is is the lack of chatter on the forums equal the lack of interest in this season? 
  • Yeah I started the season thinking Ethelrida was the lead character focus but she’s hardly been in the show the past few episodes. I get the impression that this season has too many characters but they feel the need to check in with most of them every episode. I’m also entirely confused by the purpose (thematic, plot, or otherwise) of Mr. Snowman. This episode he essentially plays a prank on Loy’s guys?
  • jleav382 said:
    Does anyone know a way around the 404 errors? I'm trying to listen to season 2 and 3 coverage and nothing seems to be working.

Seems to only happen when I try accessing the old episodes through the website, everything works fine when done through itunes. 

• GrahamGraham Grand Rapids, MI
    edited November 2020
    Is it me but I am so confused by the pacing of this show. So little happens in an episode. When I think about previous seasons they didn’t have this problem. 

And once again the women get minimal air time. I’m not even sure how Ethelrida or nurse Mayflower fit in. And though not a women Timothy Olyphant is also seriously underutilize. 

Is is the lack of chatter on the forums equal the lack of interest in this season? 
    I think a lot of it had to do with Noah Hawley shuffling around scenes from the middle episodes to make the extra 11th chapter. The only reason that happened was because he was stuck with the footage through all of quarantine, and personally I agree that it was probably a mistake. Because of this a lot of side plots don't get the attention they need. There are also some scenes in this past episode especially that would have made a lot more sense coming right off the episode where Doctor Senator gets killed.
    Teresa from Concord
  • I've been pretty meh on this season so far, but I really enjoyed this one. A lot of good TImothy Olyphant work, though I'm not sure how consequential he ended up being. I'm more interested in the Fadda brothers working together, but it's kind of undermined by the slapstick feuding leading up to it. Think this season could have been an episode shorter.
  • Things really picked up in this one. Three episodes left and with everything that went down here,  it feels like it's going to be pretty intense heading into the finish. Setup is done. 

Cannon has to have guys watching Weff at all times, right? To prevent him from skipping town again after, say, Cannon orders him to kill the ladies and the Marshal?

I wonder how much we'll understand about Mr. Snowman's nature when it's all said and done. Swanee's story about haunted people might explain Zelmare and Ethelrida, but how did Swanee see him shortly before her demise? Did Zelmare pass it on to her somehow? Had Lemuel been looking at the coffin last episode, would he have seen Snowman checking him out? Or will he be a mysterious presence we never quite understand, like Malvo inexplicably escaping a locked room?

Nice touch having the sound of a crying baby draw Zelmare's attention to those famous Untouchable stairs. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    jleav382 said:
    jleav382 said:

Seems to only happen when I try accessing the old episodes through the website, everything works fine when done through itunes. 

Man, we'll have to look into that. I suspect it's something that went fukko with the transition to megaphone.
    Anyone else think it's odd that Ethelrida hasn't realized she left her journal at Mayflower's? We saw her write in that thing all the time. I'm not sure how much time has passed, but it seems a big hole in the storytelling. 

Also hard to overlook the ridiculousness of Gaetano firing at the Fargo group and single-handedly pushing them all back. Am I to believe all those Fargo men missed that big target? 

The season is good enough to continue watching, but it's not great. For me every episode has a "just too ridiculous" scene that takes away from the show as a whole. I thing the acting is great, but the writing...meh.

This season is not over but I would rate them from best to worst as follows: 1, 2 (this would have been #1 except for the UFO), 3 and now 4. Hmmm...I'm noticing a trend.

@A_Ron_Hubbard and @Jim - do you think this should be the last season? Has Hawley taken Fargo as Far as it can Go?
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I'm piecing together something connecting the snowman (death) dressed in colonial clothing, to the founding fathers and what this country's priciples were based on/not based on etc. and tying it to race relations etc. in 1950.  I can't get there quite yet but I feel like maybe there's something.
    edited November 2020
    i think every season is 'just too ridiculous' but i still like em all. i'm really enjoying this season (guess i'm in the minority) *EDIT: minus Jason Schwartzman, i can't and never have been able to tolerate him*. 1 was my least fav season if i had to rate em. BBT was the best part, but the whole fish storm in the supermarket and the Stavros Milos story i didn't care for. i also was pretty annoyed with the time jump.

Teresa from Concord
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada

Also hard to overlook the ridiculousness of Gaetano firing at the Fargo group and single-handedly pushing them all back. Am I to believe all those Fargo men missed that big target? 

I assumed that was because there are still rules, and they're not allowed to kill Josto or Gaetano on purpose.
    lengmo
  • A.Ron was onto something when he originally came up with Declaring Fan Bankruptcy. Fargo has always gone to its own beat, straddling that line between what Bald Move might designate Pulp and Prestige. A larger than life show like this, and like many of the Coen Brothers films on which it's based, makes it easier for me to overlook gaps in logic that pop up. I felt the same with Legion, where style often had to make up for shortcomings in substance. It's not at the top of Peak TV and this season probably tried juggling too many characters to give them all the spotlight and development they deserve, but it's still enjoyable enough to bring me back every week and feel a little sad that I have to wait a week between episodes.

I know very few like Gaetano much at all, but I did that his near death and moment of reflection gave him some realization of his own shortcomings. He's completely misjudged Josto's level of craftiness, but at least he won't be trying to run the operation himself anymore. 
    ChinaskiA_Ron_Hubbard
  • edited November 2020
    So obviously the white dog named rabbit that satchel chased is a nod to Alice in Wonderland, right? 

So obviously the white dog named rabbit that satchel chased is a nod to Alice in Wonderland, right? 

I was thinking Toto. 
    Oolliivviiaa2112
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    edited November 2020
    Clearly the Rabbi not getting back into his car and driving away after seeing the dead body at the service station is the strangest thing that happened in episode 9.
    Question - the billboard. Where have I seen that before? 

I was thinking Toto. 
    interesting, Alice in Wonderland and Toto. that never crossed my mind. i just thought of Rabbi' sans the 'T' haha.