What are you playing?

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Anyone out there manage to score a new Xbox Series X or PS5? I am a die-hard PS guy because of the exclusives. But I am definitely waiting. Hard drives aren't large enough, and it is unclear when they will be able to be upgraded. Plus I have a boat-load of older games to complete still. There really isn't a huge reason why I would need one, but I look forward to when I will get my hands on it. 
    samson3
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Anyone out there manage to score a new Xbox Series X or PS5? I am a die-hard PS guy because of the exclusives. But I am definitely waiting. Hard drives aren't large enough, and it is unclear when they will be able to be upgraded. Plus I have a boat-load of older games to complete still. There really isn't a huge reason why I would need one, but I look forward to when I will get my hands on it. 
    I'm kinda tempted to see if I can put one in a cart right at 5 CST....

hmm.JPG 77.3K
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited November 2020
    I fell victim to the hype and have been trying all day to get one. I had one in my Cart at 140am for Target, stalled at payment (even though I pre-stored a card that was good) and it failed. Sold out in the Sony Direct queue while I was waiting twice. Had it my cart at noon and at 6 for Walmart. Failed both times. Going to try again at 9.

I bought Assassin's Creed Valhalla. I wasn't going to play it at all until I had a PS5. I realize now that even if I score one tonight. I probably still won't get it for a couple weeks so playing that now.

It's frustrating but I am trying to be cool. I would bet it is bots that are getting a lot of these systems so they can be sold at astronomical rates and that sucks. If I am losing out to other legit people, I am way cooler with that.
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited November 2020
    I feel like a bit of an asshole because I had one preordered but decided to cancel it a couple weeks ago. Not impressed by any of the games and just decided I didn’t want to get one since every PlayStation I’ve ever purchased at launch has had issues after the one year warranty runs out. 
    Chinaski
    I feel like a bit of an asshole because I had one preordered but decided to cancel it a couple weeks ago. Not impressed by any of the games and just decided I didn’t want to get one since every PlayStation I’ve ever purchased at launch has had issues after the one year warranty runs out. 
    I don't know, you explain in the second part of your post why you are the opposite of an asshole. Not that people that are looking for a launch system are. But you have had issues with every launch system, so you are waiting. No shame in that. 
    I was just gonna get the $58 3-year coverage plan from Walmart so 1st batch problems be damned. But I looked like a clown trying to add it to the cart at 5. They said restocked and try again at 8. Yeah ok. 
    I was just hoping to have one before Cyberpunk 2077 (allegedly) comes out Dec 10th. That seems doubtful now
    I've been playing an older, story-based game called Oxenfree. I am loving it. The writing and dialogue are amazing so far. There are some little idiosyncrasies that are annoying (tons of walking/backtracking and conversations being cut-off fairly regularly by other instances on-screen happening). Other than that, a pretty fantastically fun game. Especially on the PS4 which is making great use of the speaker on the Dual Shock controller. 
    Murderbear
  • In a way it's nice that there aren't really any must have release games this time around, and AFAIK almost all of them are available on the previous gen (and I know xbox offers a free upgrade to the next-gen version if/when you get a new console, I assume sony is doing something similar), so there's no need to rush out and pay 2x MSRP to get your hands on one. 
    ChinaskiMurderbear
    It depends on the game developer as far as next gen upgrades go but it seems like the overwhelming majority of games from the last gen work on the new gen.
    edited November 2020
    I don't care. I am still a sucker for big open world games and I still really like the flavor Ubisoft has made for these last three games. The Viking aesthetic has been a whole lot of fun even though I will be the first to admit I tilted my head like a confused puppy when I first heard about the idea. Raiding a fort or a Monestary with like 20 of your closet Viking buds is awesome.

I was trying to capture a good kill shot last night and I don't know if I will top this guy's face. 
    bizmarkiefaderawookieeFreddy
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Spider-Man, pre-ordered it on Amazon, finally getting into it.

I'm bad at getting around to playing video games.

Haven't even opened the latest God of War.
    Cory said:
    Spider-Man, pre-ordered it on Amazon, finally getting into it.

I'm bad at getting around to playing video games.

Haven't even opened the latest God of War.
    Oh jeez. GoW is amazing. The combat takes a bit of getting used to, but it is fantastic. That is actually what I am playing these days. I am wrapping this up by grabbing the last collectibles. 
    2k.

1st time on Switch. It was $24 for the hardcopy at Game Stop.  

Running Wall Gordon Harden Wood Boogie.  It’s an annual video game ritual but 1st time on Switch cause my PS4 disc drive died recently thanks to kiddos leaving Studio Ghibli discs running, $129 to fix, and I see no PS5 available in the near future.  
    Hypnospace Outlaw! I am sure there are plenty of folks out there who were there at the dawn of the internet and this game plays so well on that nostalgia. It is so much fun! 1000% @Jim and  @A_Ron_Hubbard 's shit I am sure.

And I connected my Bluetooth mouse to my PS4 and it is such a simple thing but I don't know why that makes me so happy and one hundred percent necessary for a game like this.
    bizmarkiefaderFreddy
  • Hypnospace Outlaw! I am sure there are plenty of folks out there who were there at the dawn of the internet and this game plays so well on that nostalgia. It is so much fun! 1000% @Jim and  @A_Ron_Hubbard 's shit I am sure.

And I connected my Bluetooth mouse to my PS4 and it is such a simple thing but I don't know why that makes me so happy and one hundred percent necessary for a game like this.

This game is hilarious and it really made me miss the creativity of the old internet.
    Murderbear
    Good lord what a mess Cyberpunk is turning out to be! Sony pulling it from the store is pretty crazy and I did not think it would go that far. I wonder though if it is partly because CD Projekt Red decided to tell folks they could get a refund and at first, Sony didn't seem to like that idea as they were denying people refunds who downloaded the game. Now they just nuked the whole thing.
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Good lord what a mess Cyberpunk is turning out to be! Sony pulling it from the store is pretty crazy and I did not think it would go that far. I wonder though if it is partly because CD Projekt Red decided to tell folks they could get a refund and at first, Sony didn't seem to like that idea as they were denying people refunds who downloaded the game. Now they just nuked the whole thing.
    This entire situation with this game has turned in to a car crash I can't look away from
    Murderbear
  • edited December 2020
    I guess this is what happens when a company's entire hype is built around 1 (admittedly very good) game that only got very good about a year after release after a whole bunch of patches fixed all the broken shit. It's like everyone forgot that Witcher 1 and 2 were niche games that got kind of mixed reviews. I couldn't get more than an hour into either cause the combat was SO damn awkward. Witcher 3 was a good game, but it was literally the only game with universal acclaim that CDPR had ever released, and they hype it let them generate for CP2077 was insane. I think the game will eventually be good, but I don't know why people were acting like CDPR could do no wrong after the Witcher 3. 

On to games I've actually been playing:

Hollow Knight. Finally finished. Overall, enjoyable, but I'm starting to get tired of games that are deliberately obtuse. Plus, the non-boss platforming and combat were not NEARLY good enough for how long some of the boss runbacks were. 

Return of the Obra Dinn: Incredible. One of the most unique gaming experiences I've ever had. Everyone who plays any video games should play this game. 2 incredibly minor complaints. First - you should be able to play memories from the journal once you've discovered them. Tedium of running back and forth between bodies does not compelling gameplay make. Second - The art style for the game works brilliantly, HOWEVER, when the game wants you to be incredibly specific with how people died, sometimes it's really hard to tell what's happening. There were 2 people I had to "cheat" and look up how they died because I legitimately could not tell physically how they died even though I had their identity and all other circumstances of their deaths correct. That being said, these are incredibly minor quibbles. Play this game. It's $20 at full price, and you can find it on sale. 

Carto - This was free on game pass. It's a cute tile-laying puzzle game. Nothing earth-shattering so far, but adorable and with interesting gameplay. Definitely worth the price of free, and I needed a game I could play while my 3-year old was awake and a 0 threat cutesy game is perfect. 

Edit: I like that Murderbear's new avatar is a very similar yellow to the Cyberpunk box art so it looks like Cyberpunk is liking a post about it being a car crash.

Also this game is REALLY revealing the problems with "fan" culture when it comes to evaluating games, movies, etc. There are SO many people who are "fans" of CDPR and want the game to be good, and who already paid $60 and want that to be $60 to be well spent, that they will defend the game no matter what. There are also a number of people (although it seems to be less) who aren't fans of the company and think Witcher 3 was overrated and need CP2077 to be bad, so they will think it is bad no matter what. It's basically impossible to find an impartial take on this game right now. I will say that the most telling thing for me is the screenshots of the world map with just true, 9th level icon hell. I hate checklist open world games and this really looks like it's gonna suffer from that in spades. 

• I'm betting cyberpunk will be free on game pass in a month or 2
  • The most frustrating part of the Cyberpunk saga to me is that everyone actually making it knew that it wasn't ready, these decisions were made because of stocks and management bullshit where they wanted the money in one column instead of the next column. It's not like they were some struggling studio that needed to get it out to keep everyone's jobs viable. I can't imagine how anyone working there feels about this, it must be extremely frustrating.
  • The most frustrating part of the Cyberpunk saga to me is that everyone actually making it knew that it wasn't ready, these decisions were made because of stocks and management bullshit where they wanted the money in one column instead of the next column. It's not like they were some struggling studio that needed to get it out to keep everyone's jobs viable. I can't imagine how anyone working there feels about this, it must be extremely frustrating.
    Literally the instant a company becomes publicly traded, all that matters is the value they can bring to their shareholders, usually in the form of profit margins. While there may still be some vestiges of a pre-corporate culture that can hang on for awhile, or a company may realize that the best thing they can do to make money is keep having good PR and loved games, everything becomes a slave to profit. 

It's a lot of why I've gotten more enjoyment out of indie games for years now than big AAA studios. Yeah, there's still some big companies out there making great stuff (From, Rockstar, Nintendo, etc), but they are only doing it because they think it's the best way to make money. 
    BroRad33bizmarkiefader
  • Carto - Finished. Great light fun, and absolutely adorable. Game knows when its played out the mechanic and wraps up. Definitely try it if you have game pass.

Observation - I'd wanted to try this for awhile and saw it on game pass. Played on Xbox 1. One of the most interesting gaming experiences I've had trapped under one of the most frustrating UI's I've ever seen. The conceit of the game is you play as the AI assistant on the follow up to the international space station, so a lot of the gameplay is panning cameras around to interact with objects. And the cameras move. So. Slowly. It's insane. And you need to be looking at something to interact with it, and sometimes stuff is so close together you can't look at the thing you're supposed to. I suspect this is partially due to the fact that the game was clearly designed to be played with a mouse. All that being said, I still think this game is 100% worth playing, just play on a PC if you can. If all you have is a console, it's still good. Another game that knows how to not outstay its welcome. I think the whole story took 6-8 hours. Oh also it has a very annoying autosave-only save system and there's a decent chunk of time between some of the saves, so if you have to quit and get up you might have to redo some sections.

Spirit Farer - Started playing this because I needed another game I could play while my kid was up after finishing carto. The art in this game is gorgeous. It's a village manager where your "village" is a boat and you've taken over for Charon ferrying the souls of the dead to the afterlife. First impressions are good but I'm only a couple hours in. 
    Murderbear
  • It's just a branded gaming PC though. Like, I know that consoles are more and more just PC's that a really streamlined for gaming, but this one is literally a gaming PC. Calling it a console feels disingenuous. 

Also, based on the specs, this thing will cost north of $5,000 and they'll probably make like 10 lol. 
    Chinaski
    Mario Cart Deluxe 8 multiplayer couch co-op.  Man that’s some good fun action! 
    Hatorian
    I went and got a Switch. I am loving Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild! Those were my known quantities coming into this thing. I also got Hades which is AWESOME and the game that is now my new obsession: Carrion. This game rules. Basically you play as some horrifying monster that would be in some sort of sci-fi movie. I love stalking the scientists and soldiers. Really playing up the horror. The game is absolutely disgusting too. So good!
  • asmallcat said:

Spirit Farer - Started playing this because I needed another game I could play while my kid was up after finishing carto. The art in this game is gorgeous. It's a village manager where your "village" is a boat and you've taken over for Charon ferrying the souls of the dead to the afterlife. First impressions are good but I'm only a couple hours in. 
    Update on Spiritfarer - beautiful game with great writing, and the exploration gameplay is good while the platforming gameplay is adequate, but holy shit the town management "minigames" are brutally boring. I'm pretty sure this game needed to be about 1/2 the length it is. Getting towards the end now and I'm feeling relief instead of anticipation, which is never a good sign. 

Blasphemous - been playing this on my switch for a handheld game, and while it is hilariously over the top in its corrupted Catholic imagery, it's a really solid 2d souls-like that's pretty forgivable, which was kind of what I needed after Hollow Knight, which I liked, but it really dragged at the end and required having a map open on a second screen whereas Blasphemous is much more manageable map wise. Plus I am 100% a sucker for SNES throwback graphics, and these are great. 
    bizmarkiefader