The Mandalorian S2E06

Damn you, Moff Gideon!

Damn you straight to Hell!

Nice followup episode from last week, with setup for the stretch run. Nice to see some familiar faces.

Comments

• I figured Grogu would be kidnapped at some point, and I have to say the episode title kind of gave things away for me... still very entertaining episode, though, with Boba Fett showing up and all
  • Makes sense that Robert Rodriguez directed this episode, easily the most “violent” episode of the season, even though it was Disney-fied violence. 
    lengmo
  • Boba needed the King Robert treatment to fit in his old armor.
    Teresa from ConcordchuckcipioneCorycalebthrowerMurderbearrkcrawfTulipblossomrhcoopcdrive
  • The “Tragedy” will be that Grogu was taken from this Jedi communication post before Luke Skywalker played by Sebastian Stan finds him, yes?
    blue_sleeveHatorian
  • Peeps said:
    Boba needed the King Robert treatment to fit in his old armor.
    Get the Beskar stretcher! 

But seriously, as much as I didn't want Boba Fett to be back, it was a lot of fun to see him and great to see that they brought the prequel actor back. Fun episode all around. Din had a total brain fart about the fact that he can call his jetpack back, but whatever. 
    rkcrawf
  • Ming-Na Wen fits this universe perfectly. She gives the show instant gravitas. I was so disappointed when it appeared her character died. Great job F&F bringing her back
    rkcrawf
  • Man, this show is fun!

Now that the crapwagon Razor Crest is kaput, do y'all think Din Djarin will be the owner of Slave I by the end of the season?
  • I always imagined a Boba movie would pretty much be space John Wick, and it was so fucking cool to FINALLY see him in action. 

Love that we’re putting together a crew of badasses to go after Grogu. Hope for a rendezvous with Bo-Katan and the Nite Owls on the way.
    Peepsblue_sleeve
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I legit laughed out loud when that dumb ship finally got blown up.
    jluzania
  • Pretty fun episode. Though when Boba was unleashing, I couldn't help but this "How did this guy get knocked into the Sarlacc?" Seems like he could have drawn a bead on Luke a little faster. 

I was thrown off when Fennec shows her stomach. At first I thought this was a Westworld situation, but then I realized Boba transplanted mechanical parts to replace her blaster-wounded abdomen. Did I get that right?
    rkcrawf
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I can't believe I watched a live action Boba Fett in action on a Star Wars TV show. Especially after Grogu connected to the Force Network™and leveled up his power.

Seeing Slave One flying in was just a fantastic moment.

After Mando took his jetpack off during the standoff with Boba, why didn't he put it back on as he ran back to Grogu? He could have been back in ten seconds. I guess it was so he couldn't chase after the Dark Troopers.

And if Boba actually wanted his armor, he couldn't just go get it from Sherrif Raylan? Did he have a love for that town and the work that guy was doing and has been watching Mando and wanted him to get his hands dirty?
    Coryrkcrawf
  • I can't believe I watched a live action Boba Fett in action on a Star Wars TV show. Especially after Grogu connected to the Force Network™and leveled up his power.

Seeing Slave One flying in was just a fantastic moment.

After Mando took his jetpack off during the standoff with Boba, why didn't he put it back on as he ran back to Grogu? He could have been back in ten seconds. I guess it was so he couldn't chase after the Dark Troopers.

And if Boba actually wanted his armor, he couldn't just go get it from Sherrif Raylan? Did he have a love for that town and the work that guy was doing and has been watching Mando and wanted him to get his hands dirty?
    I feel like Boba was just a hermit prior to finding Fennec in the desert. I’m assuming she told him of the Mandalorian and at the end of Ch.9 is when Boba finds Mando and spots his armor. That’s how I read it at anyway. I just might be proven wrong next week.
    rkcrawf
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    1/2 hour just seems too short 
    blue_sleeve
  • And you thought the blue butterfly was just a random bug flying by. Turns out F&F willing to go with the deep pull wherever they find it:

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/12/ben-solo-grogu-mandalorian-rwb1

• edited December 2020
    They certainly succeeded in giving Boba Fett the same treatment as Darth Vader at the end of Rogue One: "Yup, this guy is terrifying!" Except with Vader we'd once known that, and the prequels ("NOOOOO!!!!!") had made us forget; with Boba Fett he somehow had that image, but the films had never really borne it out.

Has anyone counted how many storm troopers were killed from that first transport? It seemed like six ran out, but over 20 were killed. I kept smirking to myself, wondering how they must have been packed in there.

I'm afraid the overall action (Boba Fett dealing damage excepted) didn't really work for me in this one. OK, I'm an idiot, and if I'm being shot at on a ridge of rocks, sure, I'd probably do something dumb like run along the ridge, keeping my full body in view of the people shooting at me. But I expect more from trained assassins. And in the second half of the combat especially, there didn't seem much of a sense of space or who was coming from where.

Mind you, if she's basing her tactics on the reasonable assumption that storm troopers in this show will only ever hit something covered in Beskar, I suppose it was a reasonable move.

I did like how Boba Fett and Fennec were integrated well into the episode. Maybe they're being set up for a spinoff, maybe not, but it still felt like the same show. With Ahsoka last week, it felt like Mando had snuck into someone else's series for the week, and one that relied on a deeper canon knowledge than I have - like I'm a Spiderman fan who's picked up a Wolverine comic that guest-starred Spidey.

I was wondering if the tragedy was actually Baby Yoda turning evil with his treatment of the storm troopers at the end.

Still a fun episode! Best Saturday morning cartoon-not-a-cartoon I've ever seen!
  • Who thinks that Boba Fett's ship gets retconned a new name?  "Slave" is departing the current vocabulary, and it wouldn't surprise me if F&F decided to not have Disney actors repeating it a bunch of times in 2020/21.
  • They can just....not say the name. How often did Razorcrest get said? Apart from the Falcon, how many ships actually had their names said at all in star wars? Like, I know that the super star destroyer that crashes into the death star is called the Executor, but I don't think it's ever called that in the movie. My guess is they will only say "your ship, my ship, the ship, etc" and in toy lines they'll call it "Boba Fett's whatever." 
    PeepsPreservedKillick
  • Eh, maybe it will have been rechristened Sarlacc 1 in honor of his survival/defeat(?) of one.
  • lengmo said:
    Eh, maybe it will have been rechristened Sarlacc 1 in honor of his survival/defeat(?) of one.
    As long as they don't replace his Mythosaur skull emblem with a Sarlacc mouth, I'm in. While the anus with teeth and (special edition version) tentacles might instill fear in your enemies, it probably wont sell well on hats in Disney World.
  • While the anus with teeth and (special edition version) tentacles might instill fear in your enemies, it probably wont sell well on hats in Disney World.
    Does make me want to see a Lovecraft Country theme park tho'

TheJudoCrab
  • That went some way to rehabilitating Boba Fett after the prequels didn't do him any favors..
  • Admins... Russian boner pills are trying to take over the forums again, this time disguised as essay writers. Fight them off as you have in years past.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Seems we’re not the lonely ones noticing stormtroopers can’t aim for shit anymore.