What music are you streaming?

Comments

• Chinaski said:
    Travis said:
    Hi everybody.
    If you're ever in the mood to do a really over-think-y, but super gratifying from the standpoint of having a great excuse to pour over a bunch of music that you love, do a Top 50 (or however many) songs but with the wrinkle that you can only use the same band once. You can use an artist that's in multiple bands multiple times (for instance, you could have 4 entries with Lou Barlow (solo, Sebadoh, Folk Implosion, and Dino Jr.). I finished mine recently to do this twitter countdown thing, and it was totally fun and way, way overwrought. I recommend it for a silly tunes project.
    wow dude! i'm doing something similar. when the pandemic started back in March i started a Top 100 Playlist 'Project'. i could only use 1 band per song (so essentially 100 bands). after picking the songs, my next step was telling a story (with the songs I chose) and making sure each song seamed perfectly into the next. so after like 80ish songs i realized i wanted to break it down into 2 Top 50 Playlists that was like an old school cassette, A Side and B Side. I then changed the rules where i could chose 2 songs per band, 1 song on the A side (which tells the story) and 1 Song on the B Side (which is like the cutting room floor footage in a movie). 8 months later I have my 50 bands, 100 Songs, and most of Side A in the 'perfect' order (this part is the hardest). anyways, yeah that's been my music nerd 'project' haha. hope that made sense.
    Dude! That's a really cool coincidence. Crazy! That's awesome, man. I love the added challenge of making the selected songs come together in a story. I might try to do that now. What an amazing idea! I love it! 
    Do you have it in a playlist on Spotify or anything like that?
    Chinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Travis said:
    yeah, i use Apple Music.
  • Chinaski said:
    Travis said:
    yeah, i use Apple Music.
    Bummer, though I have a free trial from my phone. I know this came up a while back, but I can't remember. How do you like it?
  • I now realize that I have just listened to Folk Implosion's Dare to be Surprised album 3 times in a row without really noticing. It's so good. Been way too long.
    Chinaski
    Travis said:
    Chinaski said:
    Travis said:
    yeah, i use Apple Music.
    Bummer, though I have a free trial from my phone. I know this came up a while back, but I can't remember. How do you like it?
    i dig it. still kinda blows me away the amount of music i have at my finger tips. wish i could jump in a Delorean and show 21-25 year old me. he wouldn't believe me haha. i remember having a Creative Nomad mp3 player and then a first gen ipod (which i still have at my desk at work as a paper weight) and those alone were mind blowing.
    Travis
  • Chinaski said:
    Travis said:
    Chinaski said:
    Travis said:
    yeah, i use Apple Music.
    i dig it. still kinda blows me away the amount of music i have at my finger tips. wish i could jump in a Delorean and show 21-25 year old me. he wouldn't believe me haha. i remember having a Creative Nomad mp3 player and then a first gen ipod (which i still have at my desk at work as a paper weight) and those alone were mind blowing.
    Ha! Right?! My favorite thing to think about with this is remembering being at the mercy of not only what the record store stocked, but also whether they might be sold out of something. That shit is just over. It's crazy. Sifting through used bins. Buying something, laying down cash (which at that age was pretty meaningful) as a blind bit of faith either due to reputation or even because the cover looked cool. I think there was an upside to that system. I do believe that the musical experience feels, to me at least, a little more disposable these days with the exception of the stuff that really rises to the top, but you were literally invested back in the day. Don't get me wrong, it's WAY better now, but it's just a trip that you can just dial up pretty much anything you want at a total whim. You're right in how mind blowing that is.
    Chinaski
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited November 2020
    Glory of Love - Peter Cetera
    Young Hearts - Commuter
    Youre The Best - Joe Esposito
    Travis
  • I've probably tossed them out in the past and just forgot, but does anyone else know about Sammy, indie rock band from the 90s? Their record Tales of Great Neck Glory is definitely worth the price of admission. 
    Chinaskicdrive
    Travis said:
    I've probably tossed them out in the past and just forgot, but does anyone else know about Sammy, indie rock band from the 90s? Their record Tales of Great Neck Glory is definitely worth the price of admission. 
    thanks for the suggestion. never heard of em. checked out one song and it reminded me of the Archers of Loaf.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited November 2020
    Chinaski said:
    Travis said:
    I've probably tossed them out in the past and just forgot, but does anyone else know about Sammy, indie rock band from the 90s? Their record Tales of Great Neck Glory is definitely worth the price of admission. 
    thanks for the suggestion. never heard of em. checked out one song and it reminded me of the Archers of Loaf.
    You know, Archers is one of those bands that I never made my way to somehow. Thanks for the reminder and if they're of Sammy's ilk that's pretty exciting.

Just to toss this out there if anyone is looking for new tunes recommended by a bunch of different perspectives I started this thing on twitter that is a Top 50 Songs in a daily countdown (though "top 50" very loosely. It's kind of evolved for many into "50 songs that I really dig") and where I thought that maybe one or two people, if anybody, were going to join me on it and that was going to be incredibly cool on its own there ended up being like 12 people doing it which has been really overwhelming but just awesome, and a lot of different perspectives. I'm already buried under a ton of new stuff to check out and it's only day 3. If following along interests anybody on twitter it's @waking_robots. Also, if you just want to hear what's been selected without the whole twitter of it all I'm just sort of indiscriminantly dumping everything into a spotify playlist which I'm linking below.
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0fAF7OG8qFZlc0B1wRjS6U?si=JUSE6y33QeSkeKRegLg8dQ
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Travis said:
    I now realize that I have just listened to Folk Implosion's Dare to be Surprised album 3 times in a row without really noticing. It's so good. Been way too long.
    Is that the one with Natural One?  I used to be so into that song.
    Travis
    Super busy Monday morning in the office, listening to some old school early 80s new wave to keep me moving.
    Berlin - Love Life  (still one of my favorite albums).

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

kingbee67Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2020
    Michelle said:
    Travis said:
    I now realize that I have just listened to Folk Implosion's Dare to be Surprised album 3 times in a row without really noticing. It's so good. Been way too long.
    Is that the one with Natural One?  I used to be so into that song.
    It's on a release after that. Natural One was just on the Kids Soundtrack (awesome soundtrack, btw). If you like that track Dare to Be Surprised might work pretty well for you. It's got a different vibe. It's much lighter, but definitely comes from the same creative space. I only don't take that for granted because their other releases are quite different. The early stuff is really low-fi. It's some of my favorite low-fi music that you'll find, but it's a different sound and the last album (which is actually under "The New Folk Implosion") is a completetly different sort of a thing. Different band with a totally different sound. Also quite good, but totally different.

Sorry, that was WAY more information than you asked for. I'd recommend giving Dare to be Surprised a spin and see how you like it. Insinuation is probably the closest song to Natural One in their canon. 

Michellekingbee67
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Miley Cyrus new album

if you like The Weeknd and want a little more this is it. 
    Travis
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    edited December 2020
    J Balvin (my favorite artist right now)
    Ozuna
    Karol G
    Anuel AA
    Bad Bunny
    Rosalia

I’ve gotten a whole lot more into reggaeton this year, just embracing my Latino roots. I used to listen to a lot back in my late-teens/early 20s but for some reason just stopped. Now I’m fully back into it and I’m loving it. J Balvin’s Colores is my favorite album of 2020.
    cdriveTravis
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Apple Music's year end wrap up definitely is not as slick as Spotify but I still appreciate it. I wish you could do the same with their podcast app!
    cdrive
  • Looks like Elliott Smith won the year. Not shocking. I was a little surprised to see the Rural Alberta Advantage come in second. They're great but I never would have guessed. Shearwater, Fionn Regan, and Sharon Van Etten rounded out the top 5.

cdrive
  • edited December 2020
    Soccer Mommy released some demos/alternate versions of her most recent album, super chill

"yellow is the color of her eyes"

cdriveTravis
    The Specials - S/T

MurderbearTravis
  • edited December 2020
    One month after Vol. 1, Sturgill Simpson is back Cuttin' Grass with soulful bluegrass in Vol 2.  Its really good

The last track was written by Merle Haggard, finished by Sturgill

kingbee67
  • Anyone else listening to the new Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon III?

I had the original Man on the Moon on repeat back in the day ... crazy that was 11 years ago!
  • kingbee67 said:
    The Specials - S/T

You know that's right! Never a bad time.
    kingbee67
    MrX said:
    Anyone else listening to the new Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon III?

I had the original Man on the Moon on repeat back in the day ... crazy that was 11 years ago!
    Tequila Shots
    MrX
    edited December 2020
    Listening to a REM playlist while walking today. All albums made while on the IRS label. 
    Ep
    Murmur
    Reckoning 
    Fables of the Reconstruction 
    Life’s Rich Pageant 

Also I’m listening to new Ryan Adams album that dropped last night. Very deep and well whatever I like it. Sounds like a early seventies Neil Young album.
    Travis
    I might be late on this, but if anyone has Sirius XM, this channel is just... :heart:

kingbee67CretanBull
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    This band has still not missed for me. Do not watch this video unless you want to be sad about MeeMaws (it's actually a beautiful tribute but it gets really dusty in here when I watch it)

https://youtu.be/mY_oDyqRM1A
    New Beachwood Sparks album: midsummer daydream and morning light. @Travis @Chinaski I reckon y’all are some Beachwood Sparks fellas 
    ChinaskiTravis
    edited December 2020
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited December 2020
    @cdrive Yes sir! I love that Eldorado. "Your number' nine! Now if you want it to be three I can cut six off yah!"

Here is the Rice professor I was talking about, @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard :

cdrive