The Expanse Season 5 (ALL Book Spoilers!)

I can't wait to see the rocks hit earth tomorrow!
Elisa
«13

Comments

  • The Amos stuff is what I'm looking forward to most. From the trip to Luna to landing on Earth, from Eric to Peaches, I want it all.
  • So from some reviews I've read it seems Drummer will take Michio Pa's role in terms of a polyamorous family. I'm very interested to see how they do that with show Drummer. Also - absolutely cannot wait for Naomi's spacewalk and Bobbie on a torpedo (right?)

    On the books 7-9 front, I doubt they will have Duarte in this season, but will be intriguing to see what doors they're leaving open.
    Elisa
  • ray_x03 said:
    So from some reviews I've read it seems Drummer will take Michio Pa's role in terms of a polyamorous family. I'm very interested to see how they do that with show Drummer. Also - absolutely cannot wait for Naomi's spacewalk and Bobbie on a torpedo (right?)

    On the books 7-9 front, I doubt they will have Duarte in this season, but will be intriguing to see what doors they're leaving open.

    Makes sense, I could see Drummer easily fitting into that role.

    Duarte does show up in Nemesis games when Bobby and Alex are investigating the missing tech before he runs off with the fleet, so I could see him making an appearance, especially since this season was produced before they decided to end it after season 6.
    Elisa
  • ray_x03 said:
    So from some reviews I've read it seems Drummer will take Michio Pa's role in terms of a polyamorous family. I'm very interested to see how they do that with show Drummer. Also - absolutely cannot wait for Naomi's spacewalk and Bobbie on a torpedo (right?)

    On the books 7-9 front, I doubt they will have Duarte in this season, but will be intriguing to see what doors they're leaving open.

    I don't get how they will square her siding with Inaros though.  I don't see Drummer siding with the Free Navy at all.  Or are they making her into Pa, but outside of Inaros circle?

  • mharmless said:
    ray_x03 said:
    So from some reviews I've read it seems Drummer will take Michio Pa's role in terms of a polyamorous family. I'm very interested to see how they do that with show Drummer. Also - absolutely cannot wait for Naomi's spacewalk and Bobbie on a torpedo (right?)

    On the books 7-9 front, I doubt they will have Duarte in this season, but will be intriguing to see what doors they're leaving open.

    I don't get how they will square her siding with Inaros though.  I don't see Drummer siding with the Free Navy at all.  Or are they making her into Pa, but outside of Inaros circle?

    Yeah, I think Drummer will fast forward Pa's story in book 6 - be the pirate queen and working to defeat Marco
    PeepsElisa
  • The opening titles now directly reference the Laconia gate... Hmmmm
    PeepsElisa
  • ray_x03 said:
    The opening titles now directly reference the Laconia gate... Hmmmm
    Saw that. Very interesting...
  • Episode 1 post show from Wes Chatham and Ty Frank. Put it here as there are some mild book spoilers.


    Elisa
  • I think it's great that ep 3 ended with the first rock - I see a lot of show watchers on reddit very much not anticipating 4 more to follow - I don't think the devastation has really registered yet (I'm liking this whole watching the show after having read the books thing, haha)
    PeepsBrooklynMD
  • This is all very exciting! A small thing, but I like the guy the got the play Erich. He seems appropriately in charge while still poorly hiding his fear of Amos under his tough-guy schtick. 

    What I am most interested in is probably what they are going to do with the Duarte plot. It seems Tim DeKay's Admirral Sauveterre is going to be a stand-in for Duarte, but the Duarte plot depends on using Marco's asteroids as cover to escape to Laconia. They already said they aren't pulling anything from books 7-9, so i don't see the point of Sauveterre if you aren't going to do the 30 year jump. The entire point of them using the belters for cover is so Duarte can come back 30 years later with protomolecule tech no one else has and it's going to be a tough sell to say that Sauveterre was able to build those protomolecule-infused Magnetar ships without the 30 years to build Laconia. 
    Elisa
  • edited December 2020
    This is all very exciting! A small thing, but I like the guy the got the play Erich. He seems appropriately in charge while still poorly hiding his fear of Amos under his tough-guy schtick. 

    What I am most interested in is probably what they are going to do with the Duarte plot. It seems Tim DeKay's Admirral Sauveterre is going to be a stand-in for Duarte, but the Duarte plot depends on using Marco's asteroids as cover to escape to Laconia. They already said they aren't pulling anything from books 7-9, so i don't see the point of Sauveterre if you aren't going to do the 30 year jump. The entire point of them using the belters for cover is so Duarte can come back 30 years later with protomolecule tech no one else has and it's going to be a tough sell to say that Sauveterre was able to build those protomolecule-infused Magnetar ships without the 30 years to build Laconia. 
    Yeah, so my theory is that they haven't cast Duarte and that Sauveterre isn't a stand-in because they're hoping to do it if they do adapt books 7-9. I think the first three episodes have done more than what I expected out of the entire season, in terms of foreshadowing the Laconia arc. It's great that they're setting this up so that books 7-9 can be adapted without a hitch. I'd also like to point out that Sauveterre (in the books) gets eaten by the gate with the Barkieth (I was surprised they name dropped it in the first 3 eps). 
    We'll definitely get resolution to the Free Navy plot, and I think for show only people it's already believable that Mars has deteriorated so much that Marco could get all this (but obviously having the Duarte plot makes it so much more explained and realistic). 

    But really, one of the biggest reasons I want to see books 7-9 adapted (fingers crossed for movies) is those Magnetar ships! I think they would have a lot of fun bringing that to screen. Maybe also serves as motivation to do movies instead of TV for 7-9, as it may be too expensive to make 8hrs x 3 seasons of these crazy visuals?
    PeepsBrooklynMDhoos30
  • ray_x03 said:
    The opening titles now directly reference the Laconia gate... Hmmmm
    Wow I didn't realize this but I looked back and you're right! I don't get how their going to do Laconia without the 30 year time jump


    Elisa
  • I don't think they'll do the Laconia stuff other than the escape there (maybe next season). 

  • ray_x03 said:
    This is all very exciting! A small thing, but I like the guy the got the play Erich. He seems appropriately in charge while still poorly hiding his fear of Amos under his tough-guy schtick. 

    What I am most interested in is probably what they are going to do with the Duarte plot. It seems Tim DeKay's Admirral Sauveterre is going to be a stand-in for Duarte, but the Duarte plot depends on using Marco's asteroids as cover to escape to Laconia. They already said they aren't pulling anything from books 7-9, so i don't see the point of Sauveterre if you aren't going to do the 30 year jump. The entire point of them using the belters for cover is so Duarte can come back 30 years later with protomolecule tech no one else has and it's going to be a tough sell to say that Sauveterre was able to build those protomolecule-infused Magnetar ships without the 30 years to build Laconia. 
    Yeah, so my theory is that they haven't cast Duarte and that Sauveterre isn't a stand-in because they're hoping to do it if they do adapt books 7-9. I think the first three episodes have done more than what I expected out of the entire season, in terms of foreshadowing the Laconia arc. It's great that they're setting this up so that books 7-9 can be adapted without a hitch. I'd also like to point out that Sauveterre (in the books) gets eaten by the gate with the Barkieth (I was surprised they name dropped it in the first 3 eps). 
    We'll definitely get resolution to the Free Navy plot, and I think for show only people it's already believable that Mars has deteriorated so much that Marco could get all this (but obviously having the Duarte plot makes it so much more explained and realistic). 

    But really, one of the biggest reasons I want to see books 7-9 adapted (fingers crossed for movies) is those Magnetar ships! I think they would have a lot of fun bringing that to screen. Maybe also serves as motivation to do movies instead of TV for 7-9, as it may be too expensive to make 8hrs x 3 seasons of these crazy visuals?
    I think you're right except that Sauveterre IS a stand-in for Duarte. There's no point in casting Duarte for what's essentially a cameo role this season.  Sauveterre and crew get to be the baddie and he has a date with a gate. 
    Elisa
  • hoos30 said:
    ray_x03 said:
    This is all very exciting! A small thing, but I like the guy the got the play Erich. He seems appropriately in charge while still poorly hiding his fear of Amos under his tough-guy schtick. 

    What I am most interested in is probably what they are going to do with the Duarte plot. It seems Tim DeKay's Admirral Sauveterre is going to be a stand-in for Duarte, but the Duarte plot depends on using Marco's asteroids as cover to escape to Laconia. They already said they aren't pulling anything from books 7-9, so i don't see the point of Sauveterre if you aren't going to do the 30 year jump. The entire point of them using the belters for cover is so Duarte can come back 30 years later with protomolecule tech no one else has and it's going to be a tough sell to say that Sauveterre was able to build those protomolecule-infused Magnetar ships without the 30 years to build Laconia. 
    Yeah, so my theory is that they haven't cast Duarte and that Sauveterre isn't a stand-in because they're hoping to do it if they do adapt books 7-9. I think the first three episodes have done more than what I expected out of the entire season, in terms of foreshadowing the Laconia arc. It's great that they're setting this up so that books 7-9 can be adapted without a hitch. I'd also like to point out that Sauveterre (in the books) gets eaten by the gate with the Barkieth (I was surprised they name dropped it in the first 3 eps). 
    We'll definitely get resolution to the Free Navy plot, and I think for show only people it's already believable that Mars has deteriorated so much that Marco could get all this (but obviously having the Duarte plot makes it so much more explained and realistic). 

    But really, one of the biggest reasons I want to see books 7-9 adapted (fingers crossed for movies) is those Magnetar ships! I think they would have a lot of fun bringing that to screen. Maybe also serves as motivation to do movies instead of TV for 7-9, as it may be too expensive to make 8hrs x 3 seasons of these crazy visuals?
    I think you're right except that Sauveterre IS a stand-in for Duarte. There's no point in casting Duarte for what's essentially a cameo role this season.  Sauveterre and crew get to be the baddie and he has a date with a gate. 
    Yep, I don't think Duarte shows up this season, but they will have to hint at him given Sauveterre will not feel his death (ha)

    By the way, when will we start hearing about the missing ships?
  • I almost feel like Duarte has to make some sort of appearance or it will seem like he comes out of nowhere if they actually are trying to wrap the entire story up by end of next season. 

    I think the rings eating ships plotline might just be nixed since it didn't show up at all in the first three episodes - I could see that being a big time saver in condensing the novels. 

    Drummer as Pa makes sense and I am glad they are just jumping forward to her going after Marco since it would be weird for them to team up.

    One slight criticism is I wish the show would stop saying that Naomi "abandoned" Filip. The books make the circumstances under which he was taken from her and she was essentially forced to leave much clearer and sympathetic. Hoping they get into more of those details. They did prominently show the memorial for the ship she accidentally helped destroy so I am hoping we get the full backstory shown on screen. 
    Elisa
  • I have to watch again, but did I miss Pa actually being part of Drummer's crew/family?
  • Assuming that is more a nod to book readers than anything else - which one was supposed to be Pa?
  • I almost feel like Duarte has to make some sort of appearance or it will seem like he comes out of nowhere if they actually are trying to wrap the entire story up by end of next season. 

    I think the rings eating ships plotline might just be nixed since it didn't show up at all in the first three episodes - I could see that being a big time saver in condensing the novels.  

    I'm guessing Sauveterre and his ship do get disappeared at the end of the season, and that's the first real mention of it in the show, to be further explored in season 6 - especially since Naomi figuring out how it works is ultimately how they take down Marcos.
  • Assuming that is more a nod to book readers than anything else - which one was supposed to be Pa?
    Turn on closed captioning and watch ep3 - Michio is referenced several times. I can say she isn't the one who made out with Drummer, but not sure who exactly
    Elisa

  • I almost feel like Duarte has to make some sort of appearance or it will seem like he comes out of nowhere if they actually are trying to wrap the entire story up by end of next season. 

    I think the rings eating ships plotline might just be nixed since it didn't show up at all in the first three episodes - I could see that being a big time saver in condensing the novels. 

    Drummer as Pa makes sense and I am glad they are just jumping forward to her going after Marco since it would be weird for them to team up.

    One slight criticism is I wish the show would stop saying that Naomi "abandoned" Filip. The books make the circumstances under which he was taken from her and she was essentially forced to leave much clearer and sympathetic. Hoping they get into more of those details. They did prominently show the memorial for the ship she accidentally helped destroy so I am hoping we get the full backstory shown on screen. 
    I think we will get some version of that - we see a shot of young Naomi and Marco in the trailer, no?
    Elisa

  • I think we will get some version of that - we see a shot of young Naomi and Marco in the trailer, MrX said:
     

    I'm guessing Sauveterre and his ship do get disappeared at the end of the season, and that's the first real mention of it in the show, to be further explored in season 6 - especially since Naomi figuring out how it works is ultimately how they take down Marcos.

    no?
    -Yes, I think that's right - Naomi is my favorite on the Roci and I just want the show to do right by her!

    -True, I just found it odd that Monica wouldn't lead with that since I thought that's what she initially came to Holden about in the books more specifically (it's also been a while so I don't remember exactly). Having her float the idea of additional protomolocule research, though, was probably smart to remind the audience that Fred still has a sample. 
    Elisa
  • edited December 2020

    I think we will get some version of that - we see a shot of young Naomi and Marco in the trailer, MrX said:
     

    I'm guessing Sauveterre and his ship do get disappeared at the end of the season, and that's the first real mention of it in the show, to be further explored in season 6 - especially since Naomi figuring out how it works is ultimately how they take down Marcos.

    no?
    -Yes, I think that's right - Naomi is my favorite on the Roci and I just want the show to do right by her!

    -True, I just found it odd that Monica wouldn't lead with that since I thought that's what she initially came to Holden about in the books more specifically (it's also been a while so I don't remember exactly). Having her float the idea of additional protomolocule research, though, was probably smart to remind the audience that Fred still has a sample. 
    Also, having additional Protomolecule research brought up (along with Cortazar) really sets up 7-9... It is strange, though, that they haven't even mentioned missing ships once so far (maybe they've plotted out another version of ending the Free Navy stuff?). 

    By the way, this is more engagement in discussion than all of season 4 already, it seems...
    Elisa

  •  (maybe they've plotted out another version of ending the Free Navy stuff?). 

    By the way, this is more engagement in discussion than all of season 4 already, it seems...
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking but no idea really how they'd do that...
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Loving the YouTube aftershow. Just got caught up. Thomas Jane is a trip. 
    Eine Frau
  • So hyped for this week's episode - I hope we get the full prison escape sequence and it's not cut for time. I remember that being extremely harrowing in the book. I think non-book people will be shocked to see Clarissa back in such a big role. Also hoping for a Naomi/Marco face to face.
    PeepsEine Frau
  • So hyped for this week's episode - I hope we get the full prison escape sequence and it's not cut for time. I remember that being extremely harrowing in the book. I think non-book people will be shocked to see Clarissa back in such a big role. Also hoping for a Naomi/Marco face to face.
    I wouldn't be surprised if ep 4 is Earth/Luna only, tbh - maybe the cold open is Amos in the prison?
    The Expanse marketing stuff around season 5 has made it pretty clear that Nadine Nicole is back in a significant role, though... Show-only folks probably know, but you're right about how important she becomes in the series (I for one would have never expected her death to hit me that hard in Persepolis Rising)
  • edited December 2020

    The Expanse marketing stuff around season 5 has made it pretty clear that Nadine Nicole is back in a significant role, though... Show-only folks probably know, 
    Really? I feel like her presence has been really downplayed (didn't appear at all in the trailer, in other promos or clips) although she is right smack on the poster if anyone cared to look lol. I think the majority of show-only people will be shocked. Very curious to hear this week's pod. 

    Personally, I was always a little resentful of her in the books because obviously Bobbie was the one we all initially wanted to be part of the official squad (I assume) - obviously that corrects itself later on though :) But yeah by the end I came around on Peaches and especially loved her dynamic with Amos.

  • The Expanse marketing stuff around season 5 has made it pretty clear that Nadine Nicole is back in a significant role, though... Show-only folks probably know, 
    Really? I feel like her presence has been really downplayed (didn't appear at all in the trailer, in other promos or clips) although she is right smack on the poster if anyone cared to look lol. I think the majority of show-only people will be shocked. Very curious to hear this week's pod. 

    Personally, I was always a little resentful of her in the books because obviously Bobbie was the one we all initially wanted to be part of the official squad (I assume) - obviously that corrects itself later on though :) But yeah by the end I came around on Peaches and especially loved her dynamic with Amos.

    Old and broken down Peaches is definitely one of the best parts of the books post time-jump. Really cool to have her character develop the way it did.

Sign In or Register to comment.