The Mandalorian S2E08

edited December 2020 in The Mandalorian
Well they went for it. There’s also a post credits scene, so don’t miss it 
BrooklynMDJoshuaHeterWarpedCore

Comments

• edited December 2020
    Unbelievable. They fucking did it and it was glorious. So. Many. Tears. 

The cool reveal is the cool reveal, and I imagine people will feel every imaginable way about it. The soul of this show is its characters, and that Grogu puppet and Pedro Pascal are so fucking great. 
    blue_sleeveweeniegirl
  • edited December 2020
    Dark Troopers??? More like Dark posers, ba-dum-ching
    JoshuaHeter
  • This is when I wished the guys did live watches.
    GreatRedDragon
  • HOLY F$%#^($W@@!!!

Outstanding!
    blue_sleeve
  • Damn.  Outstanding piece of kicking me in the feels with a great story 
    blue_sleeve
  • AMAZING. 
  • Fucking legendary. They could end the series now and I’d be happy and satisfied. 
    blue_sleeve

• Peeps said:
    HOLY F$%#^($W@@!!!

Outstanding!
    Ditto!!  This just opened up soooo many avenues moving forward. I anxiously anticipate all these new shows dropping in an MCU fashion. That being said, does anyone else feel like the double F’s are trying to do a soft reboot of the sequel trilogy that frankly no one is overly stoked about?? 
  • I laughed when the one Mandalorian needed to use her jet pack to do the running up the wall attack on Fett. Cmon, Ive seen Jack Bauer do the same move with his human legs minus the jet pack. I guess FnF couldn’t afford any crouching tiger hidden wire-fu magic.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I laughed screamed and cried. This ending made me beyond happy. And the post credits....seems so far away and can’t wait. 
    Peepsblue_sleeveRyanReeseman
  • First things first - seeing a young Luke Skywalker on the screen again for the first time in almost 4 decades was a legitimately amazing moment. I didn't expect it to feel as nostalgic and genuinely happy as I did. It reminded this cynical, lapsed Star Wars fan why I loved the movies so much as a kid. 

On to the actual reveal. I'm of 2 minds. One, I hate these CG deep fakes. Not on principal, but they never look right. Get the tech right and then use them. I'm sure you could have found a very close young Mark Hamill look-alike and used him, and overdubbed with Mark Hamill's voice if you absolutely had to, and it would have looked better. 

However, this also means we likely won't see a lot of Luke Skywalker, which is better for this show. I worry with a real actor they would have been tempted to have a lot more Luke in our tale. 
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    What a fucking finale, the build up from when we first saw the X wing to Luke’s reveal was absolutely incredible. This is some of the best Star Wars ever made! 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Jon Favreau should have consulted James Cameron about how hero vs Terminator fights need to go. Something along the lines of barely making it off the ship alive while it crashes into the atmosphere would have been solid. Then maybe finishing with a drag out fight between Mando and the last remaining droid.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    God damn, Sam. What a finale. And the after credits. 

I might pull some words together but that’s not my gig. Just amazed is the immediate take. That was so fun. 
    Freddy
  • Loved seeing Luke finally at his full power mode we never got to in the movies. If this is the Luke we got for the sequel trilogies than dayum, what could have been.

That being said, Grogu was essentially saved from the moment Mando put him on the seeing stone, right? Mando rescue party or not, Luke was still showing up and mowing through the Empire remnant like butter. 

Guess S3 is Mando's fallout from accidentally winning kingship of a planet and all its remaining peoples...
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited December 2020
    Good.  But the closest analogy I can use is from tabletop role playing games.  

It's as if you have your party of player characters who've have been playing the entire campaign, and in the final showdown they just sit and watch the Gamemaster's awesome non-player character, who just shows up out of the metaplot to kick some ass. 
  • It's as if you have your party of player characters who've have been playing the entire campaign, and in the final showdown they just sit and watch the Gamemaster's awesome non-player character, who just shows up out of the metaplot to kick some ass. 

Except the 'you' in this instance is actually the viewer watching for entertainment and who is familiar with Luke Skywalker even before this episode.

From Mando's POV, who better to entrust Grogu to than someone who just demonstrated he's a skilled Jedi and way more badass than Mando himself.  It's not like Mando gets to be picky, so Luke showing up, flexing, and promising to protect/train Grogu is a good enough end to the two-season arc.
    rkcrawfasmallcat
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    I loved the episode and The Mandalorian is the most fun I've had watching a show since The New Pope. It can be cheesy and dumb but everything about it puts a smile on my face. However....

I am a bit worried that F&F are sort of bricking parts of the universe (not that some weren't already broken). We see Luke in the sequels and spend a fair amount of time with him and he NEVER mentions training Grogu. Training a cloned Yoda seems worth a mention. What's weird now is that Grogu did not exist IRL when the sequels were made so of course Luke couldn't mention BUT he does exist in the Star Wars timeline. Does that make sense? The more shows that are created to fill-in time gaps between the prequels, OT, and sequels the worse this problem will get.

Anyway, I assume Disney is just one official announcement away from formally handing the Star Wars keys to Favreau and Filoni
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited December 2020
    lengmo said:

Except the 'you' in this instance is actually the viewer watching for entertainment and who is familiar with Luke Skywalker even before this episode.

My wife told me this morning she had been texting with her friend about the latest Mandalorian episode. Keep in mind her friend has watched all 2 seasons of Mandalorian and seems to enjoy the show. At one point in the conversation her friend asked her unironically who that was that took baby Yoda at the end of the episode.

After I put my brain back in my skull, I realized that there could be a good size chunk of people watching this who have never seen Star Wars movies before...
  • Hatorian said:
    Fucking legendary. They could end the series now and I’d be happy and satisfied. 
    Though I don’t want it to end, I felt like that could easily be a series finale. Everything except the Dark Saber stuff wrapped up nicely.
    Hatorian

• I loved the episode and The Mandalorian is the most fun I've had watching a show since The New Pope. It can be cheesy and dumb but everything about it puts a smile on my face. However....

I am a bit worried that F&F are sort of bricking parts of the universe (not that some weren't already broken). We see Luke in the sequels and spend a fair amount of time with him and he NEVER mentions training Grogu. Training a cloned Yoda seems worth a mention. What's weird now is that Grogu did not exist IRL when the sequels were made so of course Luke couldn't mention BUT he does exist in the Star Wars timeline. Does that make sense? The more shows that are created to fill-in time gaps between the prequels, OT, and sequels the worse this problem will get.

Anyway, I assume Disney is just one official announcement away from formally handing the Star Wars keys to Favreau and Filoni
    A possible in-universe explanation is that Grogu was either killed by Kylo or hidden from Kylo. Either way, he likely wouldn’t want to talk about it with Rey in great detail, much like Obi Wan/Yoda didn’t initially want to discuss their failures in great depth.
  • redlancer said:
    After I put my brain back in my skull, I realized that there could be a good size chunk of people watching this who have never seen Star Wars movies before...
    (emphasis added)

Seems unlikely to me, given the original trilogy is also on the sparsely-populated Disney Plus and some of them have been available in various forms for 40 years.  Some people, sure.  I knew who it was but his face is only onscreen for a minute or two during that scene with all the cuts to Mando, Grogu, R2, etc.

• edited December 2020
    So the guys talked a little about this on the podcast but curious what others think ... is this show now “The Mandalorian: Book of XYX” ???

So, this was “Book of Din Djarin” and next is “Book of Fett” ?? They did use chapter markers for the episodes. Is “The Book of Bo Katan” coming after Fett?

• edited December 2020
    I loved the episode and The Mandalorian is the most fun I've had watching a show since The New Pope. It can be cheesy and dumb but everything about it puts a smile on my face. However....

Who said Grogu is a cloned Yoda? The only person Luke talks about training in any of the sequel movies is Ben, so why would he tell anyone about Grogu? Not everything has to come up in conversation with a complete stranger. 

This is also the same universe that gave Anakin a padawan that was never mentioned or seen in the movies and is now one of the most beloved characters in Star Wars. Nobody’s ages make sense in this universe either. There’s 19 years between Sith and Hope and somehow Obi-Wan and Anakin became very elderly men.

Basically none of this matters and it’s just cool. 
    Peeps
  • Just like it makes no sense that most people think the Jedi are a myth unless there was no news reporting throughout the universe. 

RyanReeseman said:

This is also the same universe that gave Anakin a padawan that was never mentioned or seen in the movies and is now one of the most beloved characters in the Star Wars universe. Nobody’s ages make sense in this universe either. There’s 19 years between Sith and Hope and somehow Obi-Wan became a very elderly man. 

Basically none of this matters and it’s just cool. 

RyanReeseman
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    edited December 2020
    From a Lucasfilm concept designer on Twitter re season 3

https://twitter.com/paulrmq/status/1340460042890469377?s=21
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Don't want to complain too much since I thought it was a great season, but the finale made me dislike last week's stupid face scan even more.

Mando taking his helmet off to say goodbye would have been even more impactful if we didn't just see him expose his face to living creatures the week before. 
    Teresa from ConcordDoctor_Nick
  • This was amazing.  It will be interesting to see if there is a time jump of some kind in order to get Grogu to an age that he could be a padawan to another unknown Jedi that we have not meet yet.  We really do not know much about what Luke accomplished outside of training some younglings and Leia.   So we know younglings escaped as well as other Jedi and some I like Ahsoka who may have left the order.  So it would be interesting to see Grogu meet Din Djarin as a padawan in the future. He could actually make his first appearance in one of the spin off shows as well.    I also would not be surprised if Moff Gideon is next seen in the ranger of the republic series and gets rescued by Admiral Thrawn's forces.     Just some thoughts.
    blue_sleeve