NFL 20/21

Comments

• As a non-Broncos fan living in Colorado I have to the inability of John Elway to draft a good QB is objectively hilarious.

• I do NOT understand why the Bears are still ride or die with Foles. He looks terrible. At least Trubs can run. 
    Chinaski
  • asmallcat said:
    I do NOT understand why the Bears are still ride or die with Foles. He looks terrible. At least Trubs can run. 
    Well based on the last drive last night, looks like Foles may have died. 

So there's that.
    Chinaski
  • Peeps said:
    asmallcat said:
    I do NOT understand why the Bears are still ride or die with Foles. He looks terrible. At least Trubs can run. 
    Well based on the last drive last night, looks like Foles may have died. 

So there's that.
    And then they put in *checks notes* star QB Tyler Bray. Is Trubs not even the backup? So weird. 
  • Mitch got hurt a couple weeks ago during his one play. 

The Bears are so screwed. :(
    asmallcat
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    that offense is so sad and pathetic. they got so much help last night from the D and ST yet couldn't do squat. it was the second game this year where either the D or ST had more TD's than the offense. when the head coach is and 'offensive mind' and the offense stinks, that's a problem. Foles is a damn statue out there with zero mobility (which Mitch has). Foles thrives on the play action but when you have no running game and a terrible O Line the play action is worthless if the D knows it's coming. really hope Trubisky is back from his 'injury' after the bye week and gets plugged back into the offense because what they have now is clearly not working.
    Peeps
    and now i burn sage for Philly to beat Arizona.. yama yama yama yaaaaaama...
  • All you can say about last weekend is J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets! 

Though what did Jets fans covet more, avoiding 0-16 or getting the No. 1 pick?

Also B-E-N... okay, that one doesn't work as well. Still, good night for the Queen City, too.
    YES!! Arizona lost to the Niners! Bears slide into the last playoff spot with a win over the Jags tomorrow.
    Hatorian
  • Does anyone watch Gridiron Heights on Youtube? It’s absolutely hilarious. 
  • Chinaski said:
    YES!! Arizona lost to the Niners! Bears slide into the last playoff spot with a win over the Jags tomorrow.
    They are not fucking up trevor Lawrence draft. Thank god the jets won last week keep pressure on Jacksonville to tank
    Hatorian said:
    Chinaski said:
    They are not fucking up trevor Lawrence draft. Thank god the jets won last week keep pressure on Jacksonville to tank
    it would be a very Bears thing to happen and slash my soul to lose to Mike 'the Neck' Glennon tomorrow  :|
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I still don’t understand the ending to that game. What a series of WILD plays. Usually those kinds of endings are reserved for the Falcons or Chargers.
    i have a circle of friends where some are raider fans and one is a dolphins fan. the shit taking was fun  :D
    Noel
    thank you! thank you! thank you Rams! despite losing to GB, Bears are still in!! in a way i'm kinda glad GB won with the Rams winning, or else the Bears would have had to play GB again next weekend. they match up much better vs NO who they almost beat earlier this year when they super stunk.
    Hatorian
  • The Bears are gonna get destroyed. The worst thing for the organization is them making the playoffs. Gives people a false sense that Nagy and Pace are good when they should both be fired.

Instead they'll probably get extensions and we can keep fighting to grind out 8 or 9 wins.

Football Hell.
    Peeps said:
    The Bears are gonna get destroyed. The worst thing for the organization is them making the playoffs. Gives people a false sense that Nagy and Pace are good when they should both be fired.

Instead they'll probably get extensions and we can keep fighting to grind out 8 or 9 wins.

Football Hell.
    i don't agree with all of that, but fair. Nagy has had some bonehead blunders, but since he shifted the play-calling to Lazor it's been better. i mean, his record (28-19) has more wins than the last 2 terrible coaches (Trestman and Fox were beyond Football Hell for me) <27-53>. say what you will, but as a Bears fan it's a pleasant surprise to be watching the Bears 2 of the last 3 years in the playoffs under him. as for Pace, he can kick rocks.
    NoelHatorian
  • edited January 4
    I think Trubs is clearly better than Foles, but the bears beat, like, the 29th, 30th, and 32nd ranked defenses or something in their end of season surge here. And somehow managed to lose to the Lions. Teams have gotten hot at the right time before, but I don't think the Bears beating the Texans, Vikings, and Jags would give me a lot of confidence.

Of course, they at least are making the playoffs, which is more than the Lions can say for several years running. 

Edit - I think I'm just bitter about the Lions never winning anything lol. 
    Hatorian
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I'd been thinking about the whole tanking in football thing since seeing Jets fans get mad at the team for not going 0-16 and hearing Niners fans talk about losing to the cards and hawks for a better draft spot, and this shit is a huge bummer. We've operated in this convenient area where its just the fans who care about draft position until the season is over because the coaches and players need to win to keep their jobs. At least with the Jets there was a clear path knowing exactly what they need to do to get a generational prospect in the most important position in sports that everyone has been talking about for years, and even then it was only the fans who were upset. What happens when coaches with security start to buy into whats now a mainstream position that if you're eliminated from the playoffs then wins are harmful and you should lose to get as high of a pick as possible?

This shit with the Eagles last night blatantly tanking a game with playoff implications to jump like four spots in the draft feels like something we're going to see more often unless the backlash is crazy. Maybe fans in the stands and selling tickets to home games is enough of a counterbalance to this. I would like to see a draft lottery like the NBA has anyway. It would be another event for fans of shitty teams to care about, it could be like an hour of massive ratings on ESPN, it curbs the bullshit at least a little of fans whining about their team winning at the end of the year, and it preserves bad teams getting good players to keep competitive balance up.
  • edited January 4
    I am BAFFLED by how mad everyone is at the eagles. It has nothing to do with them tanking and everything to do with them making the last regular season game of the year boring (and them hurting a team with a big fanbase). By next Sunday everyone will have forgotten all about this. If this hadn't "hurt" the Giants (although why everyone is so up in arms about which NFC east team gets to get steamrolled in the first round I'll never understand) no one would have cared, but that fanbase is big and loud so suddenly everyone cares.

I mean, did we all forget the Jags have been starting Mike Glennon for weeks now in what is a much more obvious tank job? Minshew is average, but average is better than Glennon. Did we all forget the Bengals starting whatever terrible QB it was they had last year over Dalton for the last 5 games? Again, Dalton is average, but he was better than *checks notes* Ryan Finley. Did we all forget the Bucs pulling all their starters at half back in 2016 or whenever it was so they could tank for Winston (in hindsight - L O fucking L about that tank). 

I don't see it as any different than teams who are locked into a playoff seed resting starters in week 17 TBQH. You're choosing not to be competitive in one game to increase your chances of winning later. Yeah, one is more immediate, but it's the same theory. And there's never gonna be a system where you both encourage "fairness" by ensuring that bad teams get higher picks and you can eliminate tanking, because tanking teams and teams that are trying to win but just suck look REALLY similar. Trust me, as a Lions fan I would know. I don't think we ever intentionally tanked, but it sure would have looked similar if we were. The good thing is, unlike basketball, tanking isn't really a great strategy in the NFL because unless you have an absolutely sure-fire generational talent at QB available (and that basically doesn't exist - Lawrence could come in and suck, and the GOAT qb was a 6th rounder) one player is not gonna make that much difference, so you can't do a 76ers esque "process" over multiple years. 

Also, like, it's not like Hurts was lighting it up out there. He was 7/20 for 72 yards and a pick, and had 8 carries for 34 yards. They were probably gonna lose anyway, and with how awful the O-line was for the eagles there's a pretty good argument for just pulling him to avoid a Burrow situation (his ACL tear is so bad there's worry he might not be 100% at the start of next season, and it happened, what, 6 weeks ago?). I just don't see tanking as a problem TBH. If eagles fans aren't mad about it, and presumably Washington fans aren't mad about it, why do we care? I'm not mad about it. I have lots of things I can do if a football game is bad and I don't wanna watch it.  
    edited January 4
    asmallcat said:

I mean, did we all forget the Jags have been starting Mike Glennon for weeks now in what is a much more obvious tank job? Minshew is average, but average is better than Glennon. Did we all forget the Bengals starting whatever terrible QB it was they had last year over Dalton for the last 5 games? Again, Dalton is average, but he was better than *checks notes* Ryan Finley. Did we all forget the Bucs pulling all their starters at half back in 2016 or whenever it was so they could tank for Winston (in hindsight - L O fucking L about that tank). 

This is all subjective so everyone is going to have a different line on what counts as tanking or what bothers them, but I do think there's a difference between fielding a bad team to set yourself up for the future (cap management, draft position, trades, etc) and what the Eagles did last night. There's something specifically gross about getting halfway through a game, realizing they could win, and then pulling the QB without even a passable excuse. That it was a prime time game with playoff implications definitely didn't help the reaction, this was a perfect storm of obvious tanking and how it could affect other teams. I don't think there are that many examples of teams not fielding their best healthy QB other than when its a younger guy they view as being part of their future. If they are, they usually go as far as to say there's some kind of nagging injury and we can choose to believe that, that they don't want to risk an injury that could go into next year, or that they're just tanking and its fine. If they had decided to start whats his face and make Hurts and Wentz inactive, the reaction probably would have been very different.

Just anecdotally I haven't found too many people mad outside of Giants fans, but this is for sure an incident that's going to have everyone get their takes out so there's going to be a ton of discussion around it for a while. Personally I'm more "mad" at the Jets/Jags situation where you have fans begging their team to lose on a historic level, that is bad for the sport and must be awful for the players in a game where these guys put so much of their bodies on the line for and coaches haven't seen their families in a month. Adding in a draft lottery for the top 10 would help a lot.
    edited January 4
    Ultimately I think it comes down to not trying to win vs trying to lose. If people are cool with them pulling the starting QB in the middle of the game cause they might win, are they also cool with having the coach telling the QB to throw an int? Fielding one less player every play, why not two? Victory formation on every play until they're behind? Why not just stay in the locker room at half time to save everyone the trouble and everyone gets what they want? There is a line somewhere, it's just different for different people and what they care about.
    how in the world do you do 'an investigation' on something like that?

• This stuff is goofy.

The Eagles said before the game they would try to get Sudfeld some time to get him some looks for other teams this off season. Plus if you can go from the 10th pick to the 6th pick by losing, go ahead and lose.

Maybe the Giants should've won another game and not been dependent on another team.
  • And now the Browns will be without their head coach (at least) because of COVID. What a shit show. 
    asmallcat said:
    And now the Browns will be without their head coach (at least) because of COVID. What a shit show. 

I don't know how they make it through these playoffs without at least one game feeling compromised which makes the whole thing feel compromised. I know a bubble was never realistic for football but that's basically what they needed to do, that or get extremely lucky.
  • Peeps said:
    This stuff is goofy.

The Eagles said before the game they would try to get Sudfeld some time to get him some looks for other teams this off season. Plus if you can go from the 10th pick to the 6th pick by losing, go ahead and lose.

Maybe the Giants should've won another game and not been dependent on another team.
    In a perfect world no one from NFC East should be in the playoffs. 
    Chinaskiawookiee
    i had a dream last night (well more of a nightmare) that Watson got traded to The Patriots. it sucked.
    edited January 8
    really though, what's with Houston's top stars wanting to get traded. first Harden, now this? @cdrive wtf?