What are you binging right now?

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    We have been binging the bingiest of all binges, Cobra Kai on Netflix.  I mowed through Season 1 low key by myself but then my wife caught wind of this, got into it, and we binged Season 1 and half of Season 2 over the weekend.  With 25 minute episodes like little crack tic tacs, it moves quickly like a classic early 90s sitcom.  Even has great 90s sitcom transitions between scenes.  Splicing in flashbacks from the original Karate Kid, this show is fan service overload.

And it brings back great memories of the NES video game....with the opening level of the All Valley Championship, and the breaking of ice plates. Had that game, loved that game, need to make another retro pie.

Rocked a Cobra Kai t-shirt on Saturday I got from Christmas past.  My 5 year old's eyes were glued to the TV screen anytime there was a dojo full of kids in karate gi's, so we watched the original Karate Kid.  Then I downloaded the Cobra Kai switch game and we've been playing that.  "All In" with the Cobra Kai.  Looking forward to 1/8/2021 Season 3.  5 episodes left for us in Season 2.

PeepsDeedarwinfeeshy
  • Peeps said:
    Been rewatching/catching up on Supernatural. 

1st 5 to 6 seasons are solid. Seasons 7-10 have been hit and miss. 

Interested to see what happens in seasons 11-15. 

We're a little over halfway through season one and it's entertaining but I find it very silly that the primary contact for every single case they have is a model in her early 20s and is always single, like it's always her brother or dad or someone they're trying to save. It's fun though, it feels so mid 2000s I'm really curious how it changes when it gets into the 2010s and up to now.
    Peeps
  • @cdrive loved S1 of Cobra Kai. Got disillusioned early on in S2, but will probably go back to it. 

Finally finished S1 of The Great on Hulu!! It far exceeded my expectations, and I was way more invested than I thought I’d be. Huzzah!!
    cdrive
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    edited December 2020
    Just finished season 3 of Expanse. Was hoping to catch up before season 5 release but don’t think it will happen. I love the show and love Jim and A_Ron’s podcast. The only place I differ is with Holden. I think he is a horrible actor. He suffers from the John Snow curse - only has one dumb face to relay emotion. Making a Face does not equal acting. 

I guess ill I’ll save the rest of my opinion for the Expanse thread. 

Edit: 100% Team Amos!
    Peepsken haleElisa
  • Just finished season 3 of Expanse. Was hoping to catch up before season 5 release but don’t think it will happen. I love the show and love Jim and A_Ron’s podcast. The only place I differ is with Holden. I think he is a horrible actor. He suffers from the John Snow curse - only has one dumb face to relay emotion. Making a Face does not equal acting. 

I guess ill I’ll save the rest of my opinion for the Expanse thread. 

Edit: 100% Team Amos!
    Hell yes, I think everybody is Team Amos... "I am that guy." I know it's technically cheating on our favorite 2 podcasters but check out the podcast "The Churn." It's their official podcast and they have the 2 authors on every week along with typically a random actor from the show.

I definitely prefer the guys' coverage but hearing how close the actors are is really heartwarming and some of their stories of them being on set are pretty great. I know a person only has so much time for podcasts but it's worth a listen. I've been rewatching all the seasons and trying to keep up with both podcasts.
    Teresa from ConcordEine FrauElisa
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    The Flight attendant. 
     There is a lot in this Hitchcock thriller. Lots of actors I haven’t seen in a while. I’m not sure if this is a good show but it’s got me. I’m on the edge of my seat at points. There was a long bit with a side character where I was totally engulfed in what was happening I forgot that the main was doing a thing also. It leaves me wanting more.

also watching Mank not a binge thing but I’ve been waiting for this. I have been waiting for years now to see a bio on this guy. The Wells/Hearst war is my favorite Hollywood lore. I’ll binge all the movies and docs soon.
    Chinaskibizmarkiefader
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    kingbee67 said:
    The Flight attendant. 
     There is a lot in this Hitchcock thriller. Lots of actors I haven’t seen in a while. I’m not sure if this is a good show but it’s got me. I’m on the edge of my seat at points. There was a long bit with a side character where I was totally engulfed in what was happening I forgot that the main was doing a thing also. It leaves me wanting more.

also watching Mank not a binge thing but I’ve been waiting for this. I have been waiting for years now to see a bio on this guy. The Wells/Hearst war is my favorite Hollywood lore. I’ll binge all the movies and docs soon.
    based off the trailer i wasn't sure if it was a thriller or like a dark comedy. how would you describe it? and what's the runtime per episode?
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited December 2020
    @Chinaski. It’s a thriller based on a book. About an hour never watched the run times. New episodes on Thursdays. There is like six today. Highly recommend there is some humor, drama it’s got a lot going on maybe to much . I know I was happy for two episodes this week. If you were talking about Mank? It’s a biopic on Hollywood history a little over 2 hours. I don’t know if everyone will like it.

Double Toasted review on Mank
    https://youtu.be/Xdw-KNIU8nI
    Chinaskibizmarkiefader
    yeah was talking about The Flight Attendant, sounds like i may dig it so will give it a shot. appreciate the feedback.
  • I liked the first episode of The Flight Attendant but haven't seen past that. The beginning it felt like a romantic comedy and then obviously there was a twist and it turns darker. The Ringer's review had a solid take where it feels like the main character is from a sitcom/romcom and gets placed into a totally different show but still plays it like she's in a sitcom and it somehow works. I'll definitely watch some more of it
  • Almost done with the latest season of The Crown. Pretty depressing turn, but maybe that's just because I know what's coming. Probably the season that most clearly demonstrates why even the powerless figurehead monarchy of the UK's constitutional government should probably be done away with. 

Also getting into Harlots. Halfway into the first season and I see why A.Ron and Cecily liked it. Though I don't think they liked the third season, so I may not actually be looking forward to their BMTV coverage of those episodes. 
    ken haleMichelle
    edited December 2020
    I liked the first episode of The Flight Attendant but haven't seen past that. The beginning it felt like a romantic comedy and then obviously there was a twist and it turns darker. The Ringer's review had a solid take where it feels like the main character is from a sitcom/romcom and gets placed into a totally different show but still plays it like she's in a sitcom and it somehow works. I'll definitely watch some more of it
    after the Pilot i wasn't sure if i was gonna keep watching, on Episode 6 now so i guess i did haha. the look and feel sorta reminds me of a Soderbergh movie. i think that Ringers's take is pretty spot on. i'll likely be finishing it.
    bizmarkiefader
  • I wasn't in the mood to watch anything I needed to pay attention to as I had some stuff I wanted to get done on my laptop so I started browsing HBO MAX originals and came across Two Weeks to Live. It stars Maisie Williams and has 6 25 minute episodes and was quite a surprise at how much I enjoyed it. It's by no means high quality TV but seeing Maisie in a more comedic role was great. For a time commitment of about 2.5 hours I think it's well worth your time.

mostlywrightTeresa from Concord
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited December 2020
    We read "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" with our son, so now we're watching the BBC miniseries from the 1980's with him (someone uploaded a semi-decent quality version on YouTube btw). I watched this and the sequels a ton growing up, and IMO it holds up, despite some very dated costumes and special effects! Better than the early 2000's movie remake (which tries for too much spectacle), especially for a five year old. Looking forward to revisiting Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and The Silver Chair, which were all also made around then.

Netflix is remaking as a series, hopefully they get it right!
  • I waited so long to watch season 4 of the Expanse that I didn't even know season 5 was coming out until it was too late.  At this point I thought it best to just start over, and so far re-watching season 1 with some foreknowledge of the story elements was even better than the first time.  I'm only getting back into season 2 now, so I'll completely miss out on any kind of discussion of the new season, but at least I can re-listen to the BM podcasts when I have time.
    awookieeElisa
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    edited January 4
    I started Giri/Haji but so far it's pretty ridiculous.  The humor is good, much of the cast too, but the show couldn't get out of the first episode without throwing out suspension of disbelief.  Love British crime shows when they are believable but this one is firmly in fantasyland.

ETA: I finished it.  It's completely implausible but is entertaining overall.
    Just finished Queen's Gambit and highly recommend. My one criticism is the ending (no spoiler-y details here) but overall it’s well written and acted.  
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Just finished Queen's Gambit and highly recommend. My one criticism is the ending (no spoiler-y details here) but overall it’s well written and acted.  
    I just started episode 1 and already really like this series.  I think it's interesting and fitting that her younger years were shot with lower light vs current day in the show, also mirroring the black vs. white/dark vs. light of chess (and life, I suppose).  Nice editorial choice from the DP.  
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited January 2
    jluzania said:
    Also getting into Harlots. Halfway into the first season and I see why A.Ron and Cecily liked it. Though I don't think they liked the third season, so I may not actually be looking forward to their BMTV coverage of those episodes. 
    Yas!!!  Seriously, this will always be one of Hulu's best originals.  Season 3 had its challenges but is still excellent.
    I miss this series! :heart:
  • Michelle said:
    jluzania said:
    Yas!!!  Seriously, this will always be one of Hulu's best originals.  Season 3 had its challenges but is still excellent.
    I miss this series! :heart:
    Harlots has been on my radar for quite a while but it's never been close enough to the top of my priority list to get started on it. Might have to make this a priority once shows slow down. 
    Michelle
  • I just finished binging Mr Robot. Wife and I watched the full series over the last two months. If you really want to enjoy some smirky/irony-laden podcast listening... you should throw on BM's coverage of season 2. They repeatedly discuss/question the realism of the show's portrayal of chaos that the world descends into post "5/9." At several points they remark on the concept of a global pandemic and reactions and my God it is interesting audio. 

If you were looking for a reason to rewatch make sure you get some ears on their discussions. I've considered connecting quotes from them and posting in a thread but... didn't. 

The series finale commentary by them (released 12/30/19) is also HILARIOUS to listen to in this moment and I'm gonna ask a lunch question about it but essentially they discuss the value of an entire series rewatch and that if they just had the time..."if the world would stop" they'd definitely crank it up.  I guess the year was off by one.
    awookieeElisa
  • I just watched through the entirety of The Undoing on HBO. I'm not upset I spent 6 hours watching it but in the end I was pretty underwhelmed by it. It's not a bad show by any means but I think the hype behind it (I saw lots of people raving about it quite a bit) made me expect a better show than what I got. It probably doesn't help that I paused rewatching The Leftovers after season 2 to watch it. Nothing can compare to The Leftovers.
    @awookiee I watched Undoing as well. It was good but not great. I like the ending but the episodes leading up to it could have been better. 

I’ve watched two episodes of The Last Kingdom and so far really like it. How have I not read more about it? Was it covered/discussed in a podcast? If not that’s a shame. 
    awookiee
  • @Teresa from Concord have you watched the TV show Vikings and if so how does that compare to The Last Kingdom? If not I definitely recommend it, it had a slower middle season or 2 but overall I really enjoyed it. 
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Finally finished the Flight Attendant last night, I liked it a lot. Good twisty show with great characters and a murder plot that's pretty convenient but doesn't really matter. Her relationships with the other characters went places I wasn't expecting but ended up being the heart of the story and by far the best parts.
    awookiee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Over the last few weeks I watched Cuckoo and then did a rewatch of Man Down. I have a weird crush on Greg Davies. Maybe I’ll rewatch The Inbetweeners next. I don’t like Taskmaster though - I hate game shows, especially game shows full of comedians. 

Also, my sole knowledge of Taylor Lautner is as not-Robert Wotsit in the Twilight movies, and while I don’t think he’s going to win any prizes for acting, I found him quite charming in Cuckoo. 
  • I've been watching Brockmire again. So many laughs.
  • We've been watching All Creatures Great and Small on PBS and it's quite delightful. Anyone else watching?
    mostlywright
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Watched the old Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy miniseries (easy to find on YT). Builds in intensity as it goes.  Worst part was when characters would spout unaltered paragraphs that worked better on the page.  Otherwise good and a real time capsule of 70's Britain, very down at the heels.  In contrast, the movie version is the Cliff's Notes version of the story and very sleek and stylish.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Dee said:
    I signed up to Amazon Prime while The Boys is on and while I was tooling around seeing what else they had, I stumbled on this gem of a show called Loudermilk. Starring Ron Livingston and Will Sasso, it’s about a cranky jerk who leads a sober living group. It’s super low key and not really any other big names in it (though AHS watchers will recognise Mat Fraser), but it’s surprisingly easy to watch given the subject matter, and I ploughed through two seasons in a few days while I’ve been on holiday. 
    I found out last week that Season 3 of this was released over New Year so I’ve just finished catching up. This show is CRIMINALLY underseen. From what I can gather it was on some obscure streaming app that no longer exists, and S3 was picked up by Amazon. I don’t know if they have the first two seasons as well in US, but it is absolutely worth seeking out. It’s funny, but it also doesn’t shy away from the subject of substance abuse. Ron Livingston is just so good as a smart but cynical Gen Xer whose life fell apart due to alcoholism. Will Sasso is Will Sasso and who doesn’t love that? The sober living group are all great too. 

Guys, someone watch this so I have people to talk about it with!