Bald Move Guitar & Gear Nerds!

Comments

• Byrdie said:
    AnyCretanBull said:
    Boss is making a Tone Bender!  I have a couple of their pedals from the Wazacraft line and they're the best.

https://www.boss.info/global/products/tb-2w/?lang=en-JM

Anybody tried the JHS Bender? Thoughts?
    I haven't but I saw all of the demos when they came out.  I think @cdrive bought the one based on the Japanese fuzz.  Generally speaking JHS makes good pedals.  I've got a Keeley Fuzz Bender that has a mix of silicon and germanium transistors, it's also got an EQ in it so with tweaking I can get some near Tone Bender sounds but it's never quite perfect.

Byrdie
  • edited December 2020
    Yea Ive been looking at the fuzz bender as well for just a few shekels more. I have a fuzz factory so it’s a little hard to justify. But also having just a simple stomp for a specific sound is nice and not the zvex’s bag at all. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Yep I got the Honey Crying Baby one in that JHS Legends of Fuzz series.

All that BOSS waza tone bender commotion stirred up a lot of discussions on tone bender clones, and I heard a lot of good things about this guy below. Maybe check that one out too. 

CretanBullByrdie
  • Beringher has announced that they're not going to sell products in retail stores anymore.  They own TC Electronic, so starting next year you'll only be able to buy those pedals online (Amazon, Thomann, Sweetwater, and Alibaba only!).

Beringher has announced that they're not going to sell products in retail stores anymore.  They own TC Electronic, so starting next year you'll only be able to buy those pedals online (Amazon, Thomann, Sweetwater, and Alibaba only!).

I thought this wouldn't affect me but here I am looking into a Ditto and realizing it's a TC Electronic pedal... hmm...
  • cdrive said:
    Beringher has announced that they're not going to sell products in retail stores anymore.  They own TC Electronic, so starting next year you'll only be able to buy those pedals online (Amazon, Thomann, Sweetwater, and Alibaba only!).

I thought this wouldn't affect me but here I am looking into a Ditto and realizing it's a TC Electronic pedal... hmm...
    I think the 'danger' (if that's the right word) is what happens if/when other companies follow suit?  Beringher is huge when it comes to electronic stuff, sound systems etc and TC Electronic is one of the bigger mainstream pedal companies.  What happens if Boss does the same?  What happens if Fender does the same?
    cdrive said:

I think the 'danger' (if that's the right word) is what happens if/when other companies follow suit?  Beringher is huge when it comes to electronic stuff, sound systems etc and TC Electronic is one of the bigger mainstream pedal companies.  What happens if Boss does the same?  What happens if Fender does the same?
    Did they say why? I googled a bit and couldn't find anything. Like why would you not want to have your wares sold in a brick & mortar?  That makes no sense to me but what do I know.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • cdrive said:
    cdrive said:

Did they say why? I googled a bit and couldn't find anything. Like why would you not want to have your wares sold in a brick & mortar?  That makes no sense to me but what do I know.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Just cheaper.  When you have your stuff carried by a bunch of chains and hundreds of smaller/independent stores you need to have a distribution network in place, account managers for each retailer, regional salespeople/brand ambassadors who check in on stores to make sure that your product is getting favourable shelf space etc.  They're getting rid of all of that.  If they're just going to sell to the 4 chains mentioned then they'll only need one account manager and the sales team will probably be eliminated altogether - often these kinds of exclusive deals contractually require the retailer to carry the entire product line regardless of what it is so a sales team really isn't needed.  Their 'distribution network' will probably become 1 warehouse in America, 1 somewhere in Germany and 1 in China.  The cost of housing their stock will be shifted to Amazon, Thomann, Sweetwater and Alibaba.
  • My rig for my last pre-Christmas gig, in fact last for 2020! 

Merry Christmas, happy holidays, see ya next year!
    cdriveCretanBullScooey
  • My rig for my last pre-Christmas gig, in fact last for 2020! 

Do those pink rollerskates djent?  :#
    GreatRedDragon
    My rig for my last pre-Christmas gig, in fact last for 2020! 

Do those pink rollerskates djent?  :#
    @GreatRedDragon is Harry Perry!?!  :o
    GreatRedDragon
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited December 2020
    My friend is making his own Orange cabs, a 2x12 and a 2x12 with a 1x15 in it.  He's done an amazing job so far, the 2x12 is done but I haven't heard it yet.

cdrive
    7.jpg 141.5K
    6.jpg 103.5K
    1.jpg 162.2K
    2.jpg 184.6K
    5.jpg 110.6K
    4.jpg 100K
    3.jpg 68.8K
    8.jpg 229.1K
    9.jpg 115.4K
  • edited December 2020
    That's pretty dope.  Any chance he'd contract out a few? :p I have "unloaded cabinets" saved on Reverb just in case something pops up.  This has always been a goal for studio/apartment storage.

httpsipinimgcom736x78d22878d22874ae4df50f7f25f53b7fdac9d8jpg

CretanBullcdrive
  • edited December 2020
    Ok guys, I have an interface conundrum. 

I impulsively bought a Behringer Ultra-g (GI100 w/Cab sim etc) hoping that I could get my Deluxe Reverb sound into my silent rig (firepod usb interface into iMac). I realized that this was half-cocked (at best) and I have a couple specific questions, on the off chance someone here can answer them.

Can I connect the Ultra G via the loudspeaker (post power amp) port?

Do I have to still connect the output from the Ultra G to the Reverb's speaker (To keep from cooking the transformer) in order for it to work safely (i.e. not cook anything)?

Do I need regular guitar cables, speaker cables, or a combo of both?

Merry Christmas and shit.

@Byrdie hey man Merry Christmas and all that shit.  Man I think you might be playing with fire.  Just thinking about speaker loads and the power being reflected back to the amp, I’d be really worried about frying a really nice Deluxe Reverb, or your iMac or both.  Just normal cables, 1/4” jack or XLR but again if it were me I’d pass on doing that.  

Byrdie
    Okay- had some gift card cheddah from Sweetwater to burn and of course what I want is on back order. That’s okay cause it makes sense everyone wants this one and I’m a patient man. Behold this bovine beauty:

Haven’t owned a bass in over a decade. Last one was jazz but I’m going precision style now. A P-bass is a mature man’s bass. Going for some James Jamerson vibes.  

When I get it the first thing I’ll do:

https://youtu.be/F1nNtfy-MPQ
    CretanBullByrdie
  • I love block inlays - and James Jamerson :)
    cdrive
  • edited December 2020
    Has anybody had to thin the heard during the pandemic? :(
  • GredalBee said:
    Has anybody had to thin the heard during the pandemic? :(
    I've been lucky in that regard, I've been working from home since March and we've been told that we should expect to continue at home until 'at least' next summer, regardless of the covid situation.

Having said that, I'm looking to thin the heard anyway.  I've got 8 guitars and rarely play 5 of them.  I've been strongly considering shrinking my collection down to just a few higher-end guitars.  My new condo isn't as big as my old condo and space is becoming a bit of a problem.  My spare bedroom is very small and I've been using it as my home-office.  Between having to set up an office in there and having all of my guitars, amps etc in there I've had to take the bed out of that room, and I would like to have a 2nd bed in my place again.

Interesting way to get vaccinated but I hear you shouldn't take it if you're allergic to boosted mids.

Always new BOSS was deep state.  That's why they're BOSS....all caps even.
    CretanBullByrdie
  • It always come back to the metal zone...

ok so I got offered a trade and wanted to see what you all thought. 

For my jmjm (rosewood fretboard)

For an ebony  2020 epiphone sg custom 

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPI9HC214/SG-Custom/Ebony

thoughts?

(ps I stayed sober long enough to not cook my amp per my previous post)
    cdrive
    @Byrdie

Shit....I can’t believe I’m saying this as a big jmjm fan but I’d make that trade. That vintage SG is hot!!!
    Byrdie
  • @Byrdie - and I'm going to go the opposite way and say stick with the JMJM.  I'm not a brand snob, but I find Epiphones to be really hit or miss.  Also - and this is totally subjective - I don't like the shape of the Epiphone headstocks.  On the flip side, the JMJM that has a rosewood fretboard is becoming more difficult to find and raising (a bit) in value.

If you wanted to pick up that SG, there are lots of them available.  If you give up the JMJM, finding one with rosewood will be hard and costly.
    Byrdiecdrive
  • edited January 6
    I'm probably selling the JMJM because it doesn't quite hang (at least stock as it is) with my Strat and so I've been going away from it. Do you guys think the re-sale on the SG will be better than the JMJM down the line? In any event I've never had my hands on an SG and while I feel like I have the general idea of what's legit awesome about the JM maybe I can just play the horse trading game for a while.
    @Byrdie - and I'm going to go the opposite way and say stick with the JMJM.  I'm not a brand snob, but I find Epiphones to be really hit or miss.  Also - and this is totally subjective - I don't like the shape of the Epiphone headstocks.  On the flip side, the JMJM that has a rosewood fretboard is becoming more difficult to find and raising (a bit) in value.

If you wanted to pick up that SG, there are lots of them available.  If you give up the JMJM, finding one with rosewood will be hard and costly.
    Interesting.  I didn't notice they switched to laurel wood. Mine was one of the 1st so it's rosewood.  Means nothing to me for looks and tone, but it is significant for resale value I'd agree.  

I have always been an SG admirer but never an SG guy, so I haven't had a lot of time on them.  That one in the link just looks so damn cool.  But yes Epiphone is very hit or miss. My Epiphone parlor EL-00 is amazing. Amazing value, amazing steal.  I've tried an Epiphone Artcore off a buddy before...not so great.  Also cause I was getting antsy I almost canceled that P-Bass for an Epiphone Thunderbird that was In Stock, but I got spooked by many terrible reviews talking about poor quality.  

• Byrdie said:
    I'm probably selling the JMJM because it doesn't quite hang (at least stock as it is) with my Strat and so I've been going away from it. Do you guys think the re-sale on the SG will be better than the JMJM down the line? In any event I've never had my hands on an SG and while I feel like I have the general idea of what's legit awesome about the JM maybe I can just play the horse trading game for a while.
    I haven't followed the Epiphone market very closely so don't make any financial decisions based on this, but - from what I've seen - the only Epiphones that I've noticed rising in value are the older Korean-made ones, specifically the ones made by Samick.  I've seen ads that specifically identify them as "MIK by Samick" and asking a premium because of it.  I've also seen some of the Les Paul Deluxes hold or rise in value a bit.

On the flip side, I've seen the rosewood JMJM's rise about $300 (Canadian) in the last 1-2 years.  They used to regularly sell for $500, and now - when they come up, which isn't often - the asking price is usually around $800.

I think from an investment perspective, the only risk with hanging on to a rosewood JMJM is if they decide to go back to rosewood on the newer models now that the CITES restrictions have been lifted on rosewood.  That probably won't happen because they've released at least one generation (maybe 2?) since the restrictions have been lifted and so far they've stuck with laurel.
    So I guess that means all pre-Gibson Mesa Boogie amps are going to go up in value.

This is my Mesa....the Subway Blues:

So pure. So simple.  I made a promise to an old mate that if I ever wanted to sell it that I would have to sell it back to him for what he sold it to me for which was a homeboy hook up at $250.  I will never sell it.   B)

CretanBullByrdie