Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

Comments

• We watched Super Dark Times and it was very well done. Funny, nostalgic,  tragic. The art direction was fantastic Definitely recommend! 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Watched Lethal Weapon on New Years Day. It’s been a long time and it does not hold up. I kept waiting for Joe Pesci and realized too late he’s in the second one.  

Listened to the BM cast after and their take was dead on AND hysterical. 100% agree all the saxophone was creepy. 
    Freddy
  • For my fellow WW84 haters... this funny, spoiler-filled video pretty much encapsulated all the problems I had with it:

Cory
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    The Natural from 1984

I had never seen it before, as I tend to get annoyed by most sports movies.

This wasn't any different.  It had some moments, good, bad, and unintentionally morbidly funny.
  • edited January 8
    King Kong!  So I watched the 1933 one this week (or actually showed it to my students in this film studies class that I'm utterly unqualified to teach). That movie is phenomenal on every level.  Watch it!  Then today I decided to watch the 1976 one because it's right there on the same streaming service and I've never seen it.  HOLY SHIT this movie is bad.  (Trigger warning for references to sexual abuse, which gives you some idea how shitty this movie actually gets.) 

I really want to rant about a million things, like how this one actually seems to go out of its way to be more racist than the 1933 movie, but I have to focus on the most outrageous element.  Suffice it to say this movie takes all the charm, suspense, and action of the original and just replaces it with a bunch of the cringiest and creepiest moments I've ever seen on film.  When Kong molests Jessica Lange, I had to look away from the screen.  At the point when Charles Grodin shouts at Jessica Lange, "[Kong] tried to rape you!", I closed my eyes and shook my head.  Then, not a minute later, when Jeff Bridges says "You know, the ape had the right idea," and kisses her, I literally yelled "FUCK NO!" at my television, twice, in disbelief.  This movie is horrible.  The original is so fantastic.  If I thought it even deserved a fair take, this remake does have some good stuff that I could talk about, and Jeff Bridges' hair is luxurious, but then again he has an awful beard.  This movie sucks.
    Giovanni
  • Mad Max: Fury Road - 8/10.

Not sure what rock I've been living under that I hadn't seen this yet, but it popped up on HBO Max and I decided it was about time. I can see why it got alot of hype. The world building, characters, use of language, crazy cars, and action are all excellent. A good follow up to the original Mad Max movies, even though there is some hand waving about it being the same Max. 

I can see why it's in the IMDB top 250, it's pretty rememberable. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    The Karate Kid
    The Karate Kid Part II
    The Karate Kid Part III
    The Next Karate Kid

They were all good (well not really the 4th) one.  The first two were the best.

I'm sure most people here have seen them all, but did anyone know a 22 year old Walton Goggins  was one of the bullies in The Next Karate Kid?
    cdrive
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited January 11
    Giovanni said:
    Mad Max: Fury Road - 8/10.

Not sure what rock I've been living under that I hadn't seen this yet, but it popped up on HBO Max and I decided it was about time. I can see why it got alot of hype. The world building, characters, use of language, crazy cars, and action are all excellent. A good follow up to the original Mad Max movies, even though there is some hand waving about it being the same Max. 

Definitely one of those movies that's worth seeing on the biggest imax screen available if they ever do a special showing or re-release. I remember being blown away when I saw it in theaters - for the sound too, not just the visuals.
    Giovanni
  • edited January 11
    MrX said:
    Giovanni said:
    Mad Max: Fury Road - 8/10.

Definitely one of those movies that's worth seeing on the biggest imax screen available if they ever do a special showing or re-release. I remember being blown away when I saw it in theaters - for the sound too, not just the visuals.
    Agreed wholeheartedly. I saw Fury Road multiple times in IMAX and AMC Dolby theaters. I've got a very nice setup at home and it's easily my favorite movie to watch with the volume just cranked. The use of practical effects in this movie really shows you what a difference it makes compared to using CGI.

This movie also went through absolute development hell and it's quite a fascinating story...
    Giovanni
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC

Beyond the Wire - 90% good cgi-fest action movie, 10% bad "high-brow" talk about moral dilemmas and drawn out "dramatic" scenes.  Every time someone says it's morally justified to kill the few to save the many, take a drink.

• The Lighthouse: 4/10

It seems people either love this movie or hate it. I'm in the latter group. The 4 is purely for great acting from Dafoe and Pattinson, who both knocked it out of the park. The story though was a complete mess. There wasn't a coherent plot for me, and ultimately felt like a waste of my time. Making everything incomprehensible so the viewer can feel as befuddled as the character isn't my idea of a good movie.

Also, the 4/3 aspect ratio was awful. Try watching it on an iPad where only 50% of the screen is being used. One of the few instances where the IMDB rating and I strongly disagree. 
  • Just watched "Hereditary". Like many "Horror" Films, I didn't fell much much horror. But in terms of total creepinest and weirdness, it was Top Notch. Very fricken creepy.
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC

Tears of the Sun - Started well then went into fantasy land, a regressive white colonial-ish, white savior fantasy land at that.

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Just watched "Hereditary". Like many "Horror" Films, I didn't fell much much horror. But in terms of total creepinest and weirdness, it was Top Notch. Very fricken creepy.
    Really? For me, that is almost the epitome of a horror movie in my mind. It evokes an ever-increasing feeling of dread and terror in each and every scene. I know horror is way subjective, but it really clicked for me and is pretty much what I immediately think of when I think of effective horror. 
    edited January 24
    I watched Never Rarely Sometimes Always : A fantastic, quiet little movie that speaks volumes despite having so many silent moments. It's amazing and on HBO Max. I'd heard how awesome it was from various podcasts I listen to, and they were 100% on point. 

The Mortuary Collection: This is on Shudder and an awesome anthology horror flick. I will say that the hype machine probably overdid its job here. It is great, but nothing that will absolutely blow you away. If you go in expecting a fun horror flick with Clancy Brown being Clancy Brown, then you won't be disappointed. If you go in expecting the second coming of horror movies, you will be disappointed.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Promising Young Woman - it was not a good as i was hoping. i liked the last 30 mins. Carey Mulligan was really good, but the rest of the cast was not good imo. esp the main lead male (Bo Burnham), he was awful. big reason a couldn't enjoy it. reminded me of a Showtime show that wanted to be HBO.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I can’t be the only one who has casually background-watched Batman Begins when all of a sudden a baby King Joffrey pops into the movie, right?!  
    hisdudeness915
    cdrive said:
    I can’t be the only one who has casually background-watched Batman Begins when all of a sudden a baby King Joffrey pops into the movie, right?!  
    Sociopathic King Joffrey Was A Sweet Little Boy In Batman Begins   Apartment 46
    cdrivehisdudeness915Giovanni
  • Just watched the Nick Cage movie Color Out of Space and damn what a movie. Not even sure how to describe how I felt watching it but I enjoyed the hell out of it. 
    cdrive
  • Promising Young Woman

Wasn’t a huge fan but it had its moments. A bit funnier than I expected
  • lengmo said:

Tears of the Sun - Started well then went into fantasy land, a regressive white colonial-ish, white savior fantasy land at that.

Are there any movies in such a setting that don't devolve into white savior fantasies?
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    nstinson said:
    Are there any movies in such a setting that don't devolve into white savior fantasies?

I've only seen a few films set in Africa.  I don't think The Dead suffers from it, but it's been a few years.  Aside: The Dead is one of the best Zombie films.  The followup set in India, not so much.

• I dig zombie movies set in different cultures or time periods
    lengmo
  • Serenity. No, not the awesome Nathan Fillion Firefly movie, but the weird Matthew McConaughey thriller. I give it a 6.5/10. It had a great premise. Had me in the first part of the movie, even if he was just a combination of himself (the Lincoln commercial guy) and Rustin Cole. Then Jason Clarke shows up as a total douchebag and the whole last part of the movie...just weird. Was it a waste of time? No, I still had fun with it, but it is a movie that is not worthy of a rewatch.

All this now has me wanting to do yet another rewatch of Firefly. Damn you FOX! Time to dust off the DVD set...
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    cdrive said:
    Its the only time I've ever agreed with the sentiment that we should keep poor people down.
    cdrive
  • Looking forward to hearing the BM take on The Little Things and it begs the question.. exactly how many movies can Denzel Washington play the same exact character and still be entertaining and original? This may be my favorite version of Denzel’s version of a blue-collared, middle-aged loner with a “too old for this shit” attitude, counting down the days to retire, all while imparting wisdom on a young hotshot and trying to find peace with himself and the ghosts of his past. Slow clap, Denzel, you’ve done it again and I love it! 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Looking forward to hearing the BM take on The Little Things and it begs the question.. exactly how many movies can Denzel Washington play the same exact character and still be entertaining and original? This may be my favorite version of Denzel’s version of a blue-collared, middle-aged loner with a “too old for this shit” attitude, counting down the days to retire, all while imparting wisdom on a young hotshot and trying to find peace with himself and the ghosts of his past. Slow clap, Denzel, you’ve done it again and I love it! 
    Don’t hate - but I’m not a Denzel fan. I almost didn’t watch the movie simply for that reason. But I’m glad I did. I really really liked it. I was impressed that Jared Leto toned down the Leto just a bit and really he nailed the character. Great ending. 
  • I like 'The Little Things' too. I'd give it a solid 7/10. An entertaining movie with a good story, good acting all around, but not something that would pull me back in for a rewatch. Some good performances though and definitely an interesting take on detective work. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I'm watching "The Dig" on Netflix right now.  It stars Ralph Fiennes and Carey Mulligan, and is about the real-life excavation of a field behind a country manor in Surrey, England in 1939.  They discovered an Anglo-Saxon ship full of treasures.  It's very, very good and Ralph Fiennes really shines in his role as the lead archaeologist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Hoo
  • Was browsing around HBO Max, and ended up watching Max Mad: Fury Road for the first time in a few years. Goddamn this movie holds up. Not a wasted frame. Watched with my headphones on, having that immersive sound is a great experience.
    RyanReesemanFreddyMurderbear