What are you playing?

Comments

• calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    I picked up Cat Quest on the Switch when it was on sale for $1.99. Super fun RPG with tons of cat references and puns. Gameplay is not overly hard but hard than I initially expected. The Switch continues to be my go-to for indie gems like this. 
  • Finished spiritfarer. Overall it was average, unfortunately. There's something great in there somewhere, but it feels like a game that needed another 6 months of editing and polish. There were a fair number of bugs (for a game released 4 months ago that's kind of unforgivable IMO) and some of the later characters felt unfinished, and a whole lot of the "quests" were basically fetch quests that felt like they were just there to pad run time. However, given the potential I saw in it I will probably try one of the designer's (Thunder Lotus) earlier games, although I assumed this was their first game given the issues outlined above. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    That is really unfortunate. I had heard good things about it from Alex and Vinny from Giant Bomb. I was looking forward to getting this sometime soon. Hopefully some of those issues will be fixed in future updates! Like you said though, it's been four months so maybe not.
    That is really unfortunate. I had heard good things about it from Alex and Vinny from Giant Bomb. I was looking forward to getting this sometime soon. Hopefully some of those issues will be fixed in future updates! Like you said though, it's been four months so maybe not.
    Not sure if you are an Xbox guy or not but it is on gamepass if you have access to that service
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I don't care. I am still a sucker for big open world games and I still really like the flavor Ubisoft has made for these last three games. The Viking aesthetic has been a whole lot of fun even though I will be the first to admit I tilted my head like a confused puppy when I first heard about the idea. Raiding a fort or a Monestary with like 20 of your closet Viking buds is awesome.

I was trying to capture a good kill shot last night and I don't know if I will top this guy's face. 

These games always take me a while to get into but now about 20 hours in I'm loving it the same way I did the previous two games. I was hesitant about it when I heard that raiding was going to be a big part of the game cause those set piece battles are usually the weakest parts of these games for me, but the combat is SO much better in this. I can't put my finger on exactly why but it feels tighter and less floaty than the previous games where I felt like I was mashing various animations against shields all the time. Getting rid of the loot grind was a good change and took out a lot of the busy work of comparing a million helmets and breaking down various stuff you don't need to keep your inventory space clear. It also makes it a lot less hesitant to upgrade weapons because you know you're not going to dump a bunch of resources into something and then find a better weapon an hour later. I don't think this changes anyone's mind about the series but it's a great follow up for people who liked Origins and Odyssey.
    Murderbear
  • edited January 6
    You should absolutely try it. A lot of people liked it more than me, and I don't like animal crossing, stardew valley, etc so I was predisposed to not like those parts of the game. Plus I think it's....$20 or $25 new? I played it on game pass so not sure. But like I said, there's something there, I did finish the game, and it's a lot more interesting to me than open world AAA game #347. I'd much rather play a game that's different and misses than a game that follows all the safe formulas and is good not great TBQH. 

It has good critic and user reviews on metacritic, and overwhelmingly positive reviews on steam, so there's clearly something there. 
    Murderbear
  • Fornite split screen with my son. Crushing Duos. 
  • I've been playing a lot of Half-Life Alyx on my new Quest 2 headset. Very immersive and fun.
    On my switch, I've been playing a lot of Octopath Traveler and Hades
    cdrivedarwinfeeshy
  • I really, really need to buy Hades (I LOVE supergiant, every game they make is great) but I have so many games in my backlog..... 
    bizmarkiefaderMurderbear
    asmallcat said:
    I really, really need to buy Hades (I LOVE supergiant, every game they make is great) but I have so many games in my backlog..... 

It's a run based game so depending on how much time you have you can always do a run here or there while playing some other longer stuff, and it's not a massive time investment to see credits. I think I saw credits on run 30 or so and the longer runs are 40ish minutes long, most of the early ones were half that. Once I got to a place where I was getting to the final boss consistently I usually did one run in a sitting and then went and did something else.
    asmallcatMurderbear
  • asmallcat said:
    I really, really need to buy Hades (I LOVE supergiant, every game they make is great) but I have so many games in my backlog..... 

It's a run based game so depending on how much time you have you can always do a run here or there while playing some other longer stuff, and it's not a massive time investment to see credits. I think I saw credits on run 30 or so and the longer runs are 40ish minutes long, most of the early ones were half that. Once I got to a place where I was getting to the final boss consistently I usually did one run in a sitting and then went and did something else.
    I'm actually currently playing 3 games, one of which (enter the gungeon) is exactly this kind of quick run game lol. 
    Murderbear
    asmallcat said:
    I'm actually currently playing 3 games, one of which (enter the gungeon) is exactly this kind of quick run game lol. 

Enter the Gungeon is cool but IMO Hades is so much better. It blows every other run based game I've played out of the water including Dead Cells which I just assumed was always going to be my favorite of these.
    Murderbearasmallcatdarwinfeeshy
  • asmallcat said:

Enter the Gungeon is cool but IMO Hades is so much better. It blows every other run based game I've played out of the water including Dead Cells which I just assumed was always going to be my favorite of these.
    Yeah but enter the gungeon is free on game pass =P 
    I've been really into town management games recently. Stardew Valley and Graveyard Keeper are the two I've gone back to. Also looking forward to Stardew Valley update 1.5 to come to the Switch. Its already out on PC, though. I'm especially excited to try the new beach map
    My poor farm. I was SUPER into Stardew and then just completely fell off. And for no good reason either. I have it for PS4 but I have been considering picking it up for Switch. It just FEELS like a better Switch game.
    calebthrower
    My poor farm. I was SUPER into Stardew and then just completely fell off. And for no good reason either. I have it for PS4 but I have been considering picking it up for Switch. It just FEELS like a better Switch game.
    It does play really nice on the Switch. Plus, buying it again would support ConcernedApe and the amazing work he does. Also, unlike Animal Crossing, you can jump back in and nothing will have changed. No overgrown weeds or villagers that make you feel guilty for being away. You just need to remember what you were trying to accomplish. It's a game I play in about 2-3 month spurts. 
    Murderbear
  • My poor farm. I was SUPER into Stardew and then just completely fell off. And for no good reason either. I have it for PS4 but I have been considering picking it up for Switch. It just FEELS like a better Switch game.
    It does play really nice on the Switch. Plus, buying it again would support ConcernedApe and the amazing work he does. Also, unlike Animal Crossing, you can jump back in and nothing will have changed. No overgrown weeds or villagers that make you feel guilty for being away. You just need to remember what you were trying to accomplish. It's a game I play in about 2-3 month spurts. 
    I learned that was a thing recently and was floored. How does anyone like a game that punishes you for taking a break? Like, you miss out on exclusive stuff, whatever. But you have to pull weeds and the other villagers are mad at you? Insane. Even if it's a relatively minor thing to fix (which apparently it is), I have 0 interest in a game that wastes my time when I come back from taking a long break. That's a sure way to make me never play it again. 
    asmallcat said:
    I learned that was a thing recently and was floored. How does anyone like a game that punishes you for taking a break? Like, you miss out on exclusive stuff, whatever. But you have to pull weeds and the other villagers are mad at you? Insane. Even if it's a relatively minor thing to fix (which apparently it is), I have 0 interest in a game that wastes my time when I come back from taking a long break. That's a sure way to make me never play it again. 
    I've been playing Animal Crossing since the beginning so I'm used to the mechanic but I can see why it is off putting. But because I usually play in 2-3 month increments, after a long break, I generally just start a new save. Much of what I like is the town building aspect anyway when I found in the early game.
  • The Zero Punctuation guy just named Spiritfarer his game of the year lol. 
  • Just finished Hellblade, Senua's sacrifice. Excellent storytelling and atmosphere, with combat and "puzzle solving" (barely - think the point and click variety where you're just looking around for stuff) that didn't get in the way. 

Now I get to move on to Crying Suns which I am super excited for!

Also, if anyone hasn't yet, get the Epic Games store. Even if you don't buy anything, there's 2 free games a month (every 15 days). I have 15 games and have never bought one.

Crying suns is still available for another couple hours then it's Battlefront 2. 
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i mean, it's only a super tease but the idea of Bethesda doing an Indiana Jones game is kinda cool.

also, i can not believe it took me this long to realize that the DuckTales font is like the Indiana Jones font.
    HatorianFreddy
    Machine Games is the Wolfenstein people so they definitely have a knack for making games about killing Nazis. I wonder if it'll be first person and how linear it's going to be.
    Chinaski
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    So much for playing that on PS5 :-(
    Chinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    So much for playing that on PS5 :-(
    ohhhhh i didn't even think of that!
    Got the PS5 shipped yesterday and played through all of Astro's Playroom in one sitting. That game is charming as hell and I love all the random Playstation accessories and how detailed they modeled all of it. I never had a PS4 and there's a big collection on PS Plus so I'm sort of overwhelmed by options. I'm also 40 hours into Assassins Creed on PC but that thing feels like old news now.
    Murderbear
    Congrats!
  • Predator: Hunting Grounds

its an ok entry. The AI is terrible and it’s buggy but it’s super fun being a predator and hunting 4 dudes. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I hopped back into Borderlands 3 after taking a break. This is not a good game. But it is a fun way to listen to podcasts while grinding through missions. Especially when the dialogue and characters are pretty annoying. 
  • I hopped back into Borderlands 3 after taking a break. This is not a good game. But it is a fun way to listen to podcasts while grinding through missions. Especially when the dialogue and characters are pretty annoying. 
    I did pretty much the same thing. Was pretty disappointed in my first attempt at playing and dropped it for a while, but ended up revisiting and finished the game burning through a backlog of podcasts and zoning out through unskippable dialogue. It was fun enough but ultimately still disappointing compared to how much I loved BL2.
  • Finished Crying Suns. Pretty by-the-numbers sci fi story and simple rock-paper-scissors gameplay, but great pixel art and overall enjoyable.