What are you playing?

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I hopped back into Borderlands 3 after taking a break. This is not a good game. But it is a fun way to listen to podcasts while grinding through missions. Especially when the dialogue and characters are pretty annoying. 
    I did pretty much the same thing. Was pretty disappointed in my first attempt at playing and dropped it for a while, but ended up revisiting and finished the game burning through a backlog of podcasts and zoning out through unskippable dialogue. It was fun enough but ultimately still disappointing compared to how much I loved BL2.
    Totally. I had such a blast with Borderlands 2. I also just can't stand the interface navigation. To switch between the map, missions, and then back to the map to figure out if there are any tasks close by is obnoxiously tedious. Also, I doubt I will ever understand how that skill tree they provided works. 
  • I hopped back into Borderlands 3 after taking a break. This is not a good game. But it is a fun way to listen to podcasts while grinding through missions. Especially when the dialogue and characters are pretty annoying. 
    I did pretty much the same thing. Was pretty disappointed in my first attempt at playing and dropped it for a while, but ended up revisiting and finished the game burning through a backlog of podcasts and zoning out through unskippable dialogue. It was fun enough but ultimately still disappointing compared to how much I loved BL2.
    Totally. I had such a blast with Borderlands 2. I also just can't stand the interface navigation. To switch between the map, missions, and then back to the map to figure out if there are any tasks close by is obnoxiously tedious. Also, I doubt I will ever understand how that skill tree they provided works. 
    If BL2 is the peak of the series I'm glad I never tried any of the other ones lol. It was fun, but even the main campaign felt too long. 
    asmallcat said:
    I hopped back into Borderlands 3 after taking a break. This is not a good game. But it is a fun way to listen to podcasts while grinding through missions. Especially when the dialogue and characters are pretty annoying. 
    If BL2 is the peak of the series I'm glad I never tried any of the other ones lol. It was fun, but even the main campaign felt too long. 
    Yeah, I'd say that is the best one. They improved on the first one and had more fun voice-acting with Handsome Jack. The Pre-Sequel was VERY annoying because of the moon-physics mechanic they tried out. I will say that if you are at all into Tell Tale games, their Borderlands game was amazingly funny. I almost want to put that as my favorite Borderlands game. 
  • Yeah, I'd say that is the best one. They improved on the first one and had more fun voice-acting with Handsome Jack. The Pre-Sequel was VERY annoying because of the moon-physics mechanic they tried out. I will say that if you are at all into Tell Tale games, their Borderlands game was amazingly funny. I almost want to put that as my favorite Borderlands game. 
    I played the Telltale Walking Dead game's first season and really liked it. I need to go back and do the other season(s?) 

And yeah I definitely got the appeal of borderland, but "loot" games have never really been my thing, ever since the diablo 2 days. 
    asmallcat said:
    Yeah, I'd say that is the best one. They improved on the first one and had more fun voice-acting with Handsome Jack. The Pre-Sequel was VERY annoying because of the moon-physics mechanic they tried out. I will say that if you are at all into Tell Tale games, their Borderlands game was amazingly funny. I almost want to put that as my favorite Borderlands game. 
    I played the Telltale Walking Dead game's first season and really liked it. I need to go back and do the other season(s?) 

And yeah I definitely got the appeal of borderland, but "loot" games have never really been my thing, ever since the diablo 2 days. 
    The loot aspect of these games do frustrate me. Especially in games like this where everything is in such abundance. There are plenty of other Walking Dead Telltale seasons, but the first is easily the best. I can't recommend the Borderlands one high enough. It is hilarious and has some amazing music/credits. You probably can find it pretty cheap these days.  
  • edited January 21
    I'm not sure what you guys dislike about borderlands 3. I think it's a pretty fun game. It's much more fun multiplayer playing through the campaign with some friends. It's been so long since I've played part 2 that it's hard for me to compare, but its not much different than what I remember. A couple friends and i have been meeting up once a week to play. Were having a good time so far. 

The other game I've been playing is Mindustry. I hear it's similar to Factorio if you've played that. It's basically a mining/production simulation mixed in with router defense. Throw in a campaign that allows you to progress your technology. Fun strategy game but also hard to get into. 
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Borderlands 3 was fine, but it's too much like 2 considering it's been so long since then. It feels like it could have come out in 2013 if BL was a yearly franchise. Even games like Assassins Creed change more year to year than this did over 8.
    Murderbear
    There was such a huge gap...the last Borderlands game came out in 2016 and was on the PS3 (among other of course). This came out in 2020 towards the end of the PS4's life cycle. Yet everything looked and played virtually the same. Even when the trailer came out, I remember thinking that it looked just a bit nicer. It does seem like they pumped lots of time into the size of the world. Those maps are huge. But there just wasn't a great leap forward that everyone was hoping for.

With that said, you are entirely correct...the way to play this is with friends online. I have not been playing it this way and been mainlining the story on my own. So I recognize I might have a better time with it if I played with friends. I am still having a great time, to be clear. But some of their choices are just a little puzzling.  
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I only played a bit but some of that dialogue and those jokes were roooouuugggghhhh.

Like others said, Borderlands is a fun world and a great series of games but 3 was not a step forward whatsoever.
  • edited January 26
    If you have game pass, give Donut County a play. I finished it in one sitting (2 hours maybe) and it's a lot of fun. I won't go any further than that (because the story is fun and ties into the mechanics and I don't want to spoil anything), and I don't think it would be worth more than like $5 if I had to buy it, but it's a great way to spend a couple hours. 
    bizmarkiefaderMurderbeardarwinfeeshy
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    I just picked up Immortals: Fenyx Rising for $30 bucks. I know is sort of a BotW knock-off but I was excited to see it half off and I'm always down to play a Greek mythology game. Anyone that has played, any early tips?
    asmallcat said:
    If you have game pass, give Donut County a play. I finished it in one sitting (2 hours maybe) and it's a lot of fun. I won't go any further than that, and I don't think it would be worth more than like $5 if I had to buy it, but it's a great way to spend a couple hours. 

This game is great for kids/to play with your kids too
    asmallcatMurderbear
    I was just listening to the soundtrack yesterday! LOVE that game
    bizmarkiefaderasmallcat
    I was just listening to the soundtrack yesterday! LOVE that game

This was bouncing around in my head for like 2 solid months after playing that

asmallcatMurderbear
  • edited January 27
    If anyone who played donut county HASN'T played Katamari Damacy (which Donut County is clearly an homage to) you owe it to yourself to play it. The original one. It's been re-released as Katamari Damacy Reroll and I know it's on switch and steam at least. I played it in college in 2005 (god that makes me feel old) and replayed it last year, and it holds up. It's amazing. 
    cdriveMurderbeardarwinfeeshy
  • asmallcat said:
    I really, really need to buy Hades (I LOVE supergiant, every game they make is great) but I have so many games in my backlog..... 

I put in a few runs a week. It's fun
    Murderbear
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited January 30
    Anyone on here play Grand Theft Auto: Online on PS4? I just bought a new copy, and it came with a code for a bunch of free stuff that I already have. Figure I would throw it to Bald Move before posting it on reddit.
  • I played quite a bit of The Division II with my nephew this last weekend. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Also still playing Half-Life Alyx... what a great game and amazing VR experience
  • What is the quickest you can click per second? https://clickspeedtest.com/

• I finally started playing AC IV (a decade too late - 3 turned me off from the series for a long time). I will report back if it's still good in 2021 lol. 
    asmallcat said:
    I finally started playing AC IV (a decade too late - 3 turned me off from the series for a long time). I will report back if it's still good in 2021 lol. 

I got this with my video card back in the day and was super into it until one of the mandatory ship battle segments. I remember watching this boat sailing away from me at a speed I didn't know how to match while I awkwardly circled around bumping into little rocks. Everybody else seems to love it and thought it was a key selling point on the game, but for the life of me I cannot do the AC ship combat. I almost put down Origins even though I was loving it because at several parts in the story you have to do some dumb naval battle for some reason.
  • asmallcat said:
    I finally started playing AC IV (a decade too late - 3 turned me off from the series for a long time). I will report back if it's still good in 2021 lol. 

I played partway through this a few years ago when it went free for a weekend on Uplay. I have been meaning to get back into finishing it. I really enjoyed what I had played
  • asmallcat said:

I got this with my video card back in the day and was super into it until one of the mandatory ship battle segments. I remember watching this boat sailing away from me at a speed I didn't know how to match while I awkwardly circled around bumping into little rocks. Everybody else seems to love it and thought it was a key selling point on the game, but for the life of me I cannot do the AC ship combat. I almost put down Origins even though I was loving it because at several parts in the story you have to do some dumb naval battle for some reason.
    The ship combat has seemed....fine so far? My main draws thus far are how nice the non-fighting sailing looks and feels, and just being in an environment that doesn't get done in games very much (colonial Caribbean).  
    Murderbear
    I remember seeing this game for the first time after playing it on PS3 and was blown away but the water effects in the ship and as it splashed across the deck.

That was a really fun game. I could not get over the ridiculousness of that prologue mission though playing as Haytham (right?) and climbing through that packed theater. NO ONE saw him? Come on.
    edited February 3
    Ha! Wait, I just realized I am talking about Assassin's Creed 3. The point still stands but disregard!
    asmallcat
  • Ha! Wait, I just realized I am talking about Assassin's Creed 3. The point still stands but disregard!
    Yeah I was gonna say, am I playing a different AC IV?! lol. 

It's strangely reassuring that, even at the peak of the AC series (which I think a lot of people put IV as), your character STILL makes just fucking baffling decisions when freerunning, which is also the only way to run. Yes, I clearly wanted to bounce off this stack of crates trying to climb them rather than just running down the street, thanks.
  • I have a question for anyone who's played either of the 2 newest AC games (greek and viking?) - did Ubisoft ever learn that the modern day sections are the FUCKING WORST? They are SO boring. Do they still include these? 
    asmallcat said:
    I have a question for anyone who's played either of the 2 newest AC games (greek and viking?) - did Ubisoft ever learn that the modern day sections are the FUCKING WORST? They are SO boring. Do they still include these? 

They're there but it's so in the background it barely registers, to the point where a lot of the fans of the old games are pissed there's so little of it. There are still scenes you wake up from the animus and walk around and they have some notes and random shit you can read, but I always just immediately walked back into the animus. The DLC for Odyssey went pretty heavy on the modern day story but it does a much better job of connecting the two timelines in a meaningful way and they get so weird with it that it works. You end up playing a character who's in the animus as another character who's in another animus-like experience as a Greek god (who were actually aliens) and you run around through Elysium and Atlantis.
    Murderbearasmallcat
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I haven’t played Madden in forever but I just thought of something that got me kinda amped...can you put legends on the same team like you can 2k? Like, can I put Jerry Rice, Bo Jackson and Lawrence Taylor on the same team? Cause I will download that mug right tf now if so... 
    The Messenger. Oh man, I wish I had not ignored this game for so long. It's part a love letter to Nina Gaiden and other 2D platformers of that olk and era but it's also hilarious! Quite a lot of genuine laughs it has gotten out of me. Especially from the shopkeeper. Lots of dialogue paths you can go down if you so choose.

Also, Ghost of Tsushima. Speaking of ignoring something I should not have for so long. This game rules! I wish I had gotten this instead of Valhalla or most other games. It looks incredible, plays great, the story is alright enough. Pretty damn solid overall so far, I am only like 10 hours in.