What music are you streaming?

1394041424345»

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX

Watching the We Are One: Biden/Harris Inauguration live celebration... Tobe Nwigwe doing Wake Up Everybody by Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes aka Teddy Pendergrass! S.W.A.T.!  H-Tine! \nn/

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited January 20
    Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk as I unwind and get ready for an incredible day tomorrow. :)

• I'm pretty psyched because I'm doing a top 40 Pavement tunes list on Twitter and Bob appears to be following it. He's commented a couple of times and "liked" most of them. It's pretty awesome.
    That in mind, I've been listening to a ton of Pavement lately in service of that. A great refresh. I left them on the shelf for a good few years so it feels awesome to dust them off.
    Today's selection for the hell of it:

cdrive
    @Travis. THE Bob FUCKING Nastanovich!? That’s so cool, man!!!!!
    Travis
  • cdrive said:
    @Travis. THE Bob FUCKING Nastanovich!? That’s so cool, man!!!!!
    RIGHT?! I've interacted with him a couple of times over the years. I remember I was in this sort of "top 5 songs by..." group on facebook where we would do a couple of bands a week and when we did the Silver Jews out of nowhere he popped in and proclaimed "Walnut Falcon" as his favorite SJ song, and I asked him a couple of random Pavement questions on Twitter and he's been kind enough to reply, but I didn't expect him to notice this. I hope he keeps checking in. 
    cdrive
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 5
    Happy Friday everyone!
    Just tossing it out there, if anyone wants a playlist of "slow" songs and you have Spotify here is a growing list from this Top 50 Slow Songs (Mix Tape Rules) thing that I'm a part of on Twitter. It's pretty cool and the playlist makes for a pretty nice shuffle. There are around 20 people involved at this point. For what it's worth, "slow" is kind of in the eye of the beholder and there is no solid definition. 
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3kuf1vFJTtmEtcJ3VVpKQR?si=mbLFDV2HTrS6-3fMvB1j8A

Oh, and @cdrive I can now say that Billie is Bob Nostanovich's wife's favorite Pavement tune. Ha!
    cdrive
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Dead Lord - Heads Held High

old school hard rock. If you like Thin Lizzy and of course you do. 

Sitting on the porch with a cold Amstel Light after doing some yard work on this perfect so cal day. This band is hitting its mark.

Travis
    edited February 6

Travis said:
    Happy Friday everyone!
    Just tossing it out there, if anyone wants a playlist of "slow" songs and you have Spotify here is a growing list from this Top 50 Slow Songs (Mix Tape Rules) thing that I'm a part of on Twitter. It's pretty cool and the playlist makes for a pretty nice shuffle. There are around 20 people involved at this point. For what it's worth, "slow" is kind of in the eye of the beholder and there is no solid definition. 
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3kuf1vFJTtmEtcJ3VVpKQR?si=mbLFDV2HTrS6-3fMvB1j8A

Oh, and @cdrive I can now say that Billie is Bob Nostanovich's wife's favorite Pavement tune. Ha!

Aww man that is one of their best songs.  “But you never looked hard at a fetus in a jar, you never seen your Mamma change” <—one of the heaviest lyrics ever.  

Edit: whoever put I’m not in love by 10cc in that playlist is my Insta Buddy.

I’d add  could I be the one? Off Al Green Is Love (chose it for our bride n groom dance)

Also When Something Is Wrong With My Baby - Sam & Dave  (STAX Records for life baby!) 

Travis
  • cdrive said:

Travis said:
    Happy Friday everyone!

Aww man that is one of their best songs.  “But you never looked hard at a fetus in a jar, you never seen your Mamma change” <—one of the heaviest lyrics ever.  

Edit: whoever put I’m not in love by 10cc in that playlist is my Insta Buddy.

I’d add  could I be the one? Off Al Green Is Love (chose it for our bride n groom dance)

Also When Something Is Wrong With My Baby - Sam & Dave  (STAX Records for life baby!) 

Right?! I love that line. It has to actively be a Doc Oc reference, right? Too specific to be a coincidence? That song is just so goddamn fun. 

Of course I'll toss those in. Thanks for putting them forward, man.
    I'm pretty sure the guy who selected 10cc is either a musician by trade or a former one. I don't know him well, but he has good taste and is a really nice dude. 
    cdrive
  • There's some incredible harmonized vocals on this old Dispatch album, this one will always be special to me

Dispatch - Two Coins (1997)

• I can't begin to express how much I love this song.  I first heard it months ago in demo form and heard a few different versions as it went through production and mixing.  It killed me to not be able to share it with other people, but as of midnight tonight it's officially released.

ChinaskiDashEnginecdriveUniv3rsalmind
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    that's right up my alley @CretanBull. very shoegaze pop. where they from (assuming CA)? do they have anything else?
  • Chinaski said:
    that's right up my alley @CretanBull. very shoegaze pop. where they from (assuming CA)? do they have anything else?
    My best friend manages them.  They're twin sisters, who were also in a band called Courage My Love (which was much different!).  Since covid, Courage My Love has been on hold and the girls started this project from home and they're gaining a ton of attention - especially in the UK (a British label is releasing their stuff).  They have one other song out already (I'll link it below!).  They're releasing 1 song a month, and with each song they're also releasing an issue of a zine that's thematically linked to that month's song.  Uzumaki is the most shoegazy song, but that element is in all of their songs.

Chinaski
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited February 19
    Presented without comment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCzZKlAbPm4
    New release Friday is kinda quiet so for happy hour I had this old mixtape book edited by Thurston Moore. Right now I’m rippin thru this mix:

ChinaskiTravis
  • Been listening to some Avicii lately and really enjoying this track from the album released after his passing:

• Damn, Daft Punk broke up.

• edited February 23
    I can't begin to express how much I love this song.  I first heard it months ago in demo form and heard a few different versions as it went through production and mixing.  It killed me to not be able to share it with other people, but as of midnight tonight it's officially released.

Hey I was jamming to that tune throughout the weekend and I just checked on spotify, youtube and the general internet for that song and its gone!  Any insider information on what might be going on? :)

edit: ah seems like there is some drama between Softcult and another band and they may be editing the song and re-uploading it later, bummer.
  • Wand - Melted Rope

cdrive
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited February 23
    been zoning out while listening to the new Mogwai (As the Love Continues) with headphones. they may not often have vocals, but when they do i f'n love it! i really dig this tune..

Traviscdrive
  • On Sunday I had Tori Amos: Boys For Pele playing in the house while on the computer and cleaning up the house. Damn that women is incredible. This is my favorite album by her to play from front to back. Personally, this was the peak of Tori.

Little Earthquakes/Under The Pink/Boys For Pele are my Tori Amos Trilogy. She started to lose me when she added so many more instruments and made her sound larger. The beauty of her is the piano and her voice.
    Traviscdrive
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 25
    Prepping my top 25 Sharon Van Etten tunes for a Twitter daily countdown thing-y starting 3/1. I was worried about her having perhaps just barely not enough material to make it work, but goddamn she has a lot of great songs. Been a lot of fun starting to draw it up. Best revelation so far is that I kind of let Are We There get by me without getting too sucked into it, but it's a hell of a record. Sure, it's not her best, but definitely deserving of more attention than I gave it.
    Chinaskicdrive
    edited February 28
    I’ve been on a kick lately of listening to a lot of songs with great bass. Public image - public image, janes addiction - summertime rolls, price is right. The whole what’s going on album, white lines, etc. right now its Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd street rhythm band - express yourself. Makes you wanna jump up and get a stanky leg going! 

Edit: 20 some odd years now, I think What’s Going On is my official religion. Like I always feel like I went to church, like I kept holy the Sabbath, after playing it. Is it idolatry to worship a wax disc? 
    CretanBull
  • I can't begin to express how much I love this song.  I first heard it months ago in demo form and heard a few different versions as it went through production and mixing.  It killed me to not be able to share it with other people, but as of midnight tonight it's officially released.

Hey I was jamming to that tune throughout the weekend and I just checked on spotify, youtube and the general internet for that song and its gone!  Any insider information on what might be going on? :)

edit: ah seems like there is some drama between Softcult and another band and they may be editing the song and re-uploading it later, bummer.

Sorry, I missed this earlier.  Yeah, basically they released this song and almost immediately got swarmed by fans of a band called Loathe who accused them of ripping off a Loathe song.  The two songs were similar (same chord progression) but it was coincidental, not an actual rip-off.  By chance, the guy who runs Softcult's record lable knew Loathe's manager and everything was worked out with no hard feelings (the guys in Loathe said that they loved the Softcult song!).  In the end, Softcult voluntarily chose to pull the song and rework it because everyone involved (other than some Loathe fans who were truly awful) were really good and totally understanding about everything.

One the plus side, their first single (posted above) just got picked up by BBC Radio 1 and Daniel Carter has added it in rotation for his show.  Spotify have also chosen the song & band to use in promos - so things are still going their way inspite of this mishap.
  • cdrive said:
    I’ve been on a kick lately of listening to a lot of songs with great bass. Public image - public image, janes addiction - summertime rolls, price is right. The whole what’s going on album, white lines, etc. right now its Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd street rhythm band - express yourself. Makes you wanna jump up and get a stanky leg going! 

Edit: 20 some odd years now, I think What’s Going On is my official religion. Like I always feel like I went to church, like I kept holy the Sabbath, after playing it. Is it idolatry to worship a wax disc? 
    In terms of bass, anything and everything James Jamerson played on is the best :)
  • I don’t think we talked about Fear Inoculum enough as a species. That album fucking rips from beginning to end. 
    cdrive
    I don’t think we talked about Fear Inoculum enough as a species. That album fucking rips from beginning to end. 
    I have a great tool story by my lame ass standards. Ok a good pal got me a ticket during the Lateralus tour. Anyways - huge ass brawl. This guy chasing this other guy while old girl of the brawler is begging him to stop.