Expanse Season 5 (Show only spoilers!)

Comments

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    It was a good episodes but a few holes keep it from great. Naomi leaving her locked room, having that epi pen, being able to jump to the other ship? I can’t make this work in my head because they showed me nothing on screen to support any of this. 

And if Naomi had that much conscious time to “jump” to the other ship then why didn’t Cyn have the time to move his arm and close the airlock? 
  • And if Naomi had that much conscious time to “jump” to the other ship then why didn’t Cyn have the time to move his arm and close the airlock? 
    The likely explanation here is that Naomi exhaled and prepared for vacuum (which they didn't really show on screen), while Cyn was caught off guard. The difference is pretty huge - from what I've gathered if your lungs aren't emptied, they would rupture in vacuum quite immediately - so maybe he was just instantly paralysed? That's the best I can think of, anyway.
    Elisa
  • @awookiee - In regards to the spinning... I could be wrong, but the way I understood it, was that a PDC was down on one side. Going against the gauntlet of torpedoes coming their way, spinning at a fast velocity would provide a better opportunity to protect the side without a defense. That's what I'm going with at least.
    awookieeElisa
  • This might have been the most intensely satisfying episode of this show maybe ever. Round of applause for Naomi Nagata, my new favorite character on television.

I am an absolute sucker for intelligent people coming up with brilliant solutions to seemingly impossible problems, and this episode was a shining example of that. I was pretty frustrated 3/4ths of the way through this because I just couldn’t figure out what the hell Naomi was trying to do but when it finally, beautifully comes together at the end I was just floored by every decision she made.

Her standing there repeating the message to get the cadence and timing down so she would know where to splice it is just a chef’s fucking kiss, and Dominique Tipper is delivering one hell of a performance.
    blue_sleevePeepsGiovanniElisa
  • I've changed my mind. I no longer want the episodes one at a time. I can't take these cliffhangers anymore. 
    Elisa
  • Fantastic episode. Naomi working through near death to figure out a way to try and save Alex  was great. Amos and Peaches was great.

The UN stuff was ok. Hopefully we aren't getting Nguyen 2.0. I doubt we will. 

Love this show.
    RyanReesemanblue_sleeveElisa
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I liked the execution of the episode and everything was really good, but with two episodes left and only one season after this I'm a little disappointed the focus has been so heavy on Marco. It might be cause I wasn't expecting him to be the primary antagonist and spent the first half of the season waiting for the "real" plot to get going that never came, but this is obviously a minority opinion and I don't know why I thought that. I am pretty done with the Amos road trip by this point though.
    Elisa
  • I absolutely loved this episode and specifically Naomi's scenes. That was absolutely genius and I'm with @RyanReeseman that I was internally frustrated I couldn't figure out exactly what she was doing but the payoff was amazing. Amos still is hands down my favorite character and Wes Chatham's random facial expressions are amazing and absolutely hilarious at times. This has been an amazing season so far and I can't wait for the next episode. 
    blue_sleeveRyanReesemanElisa
    I think I might include a shot of tequila when I watch the final episode of this season. 
    awookieeElisa
  • awookiee said:
    I absolutely loved this episode and specifically Naomi's scenes. That was absolutely genius and I'm with @RyanReeseman that I was internally frustrated I couldn't figure out exactly what she was doing but the payoff was amazing. Amos still is hands down my favorite character and Wes Chatham's random facial expressions are amazing and absolutely hilarious at times. This has been an amazing season so far and I can't wait for the next episode. 

I love how Erich and Clarissa give these poignant monologues on the rooftop about letting go of everything they know, and afterwards Amos, looking completely un-moved, is just like "ok so you'll come? Good, I'll grab the tequila."
  • edited January 22
    @MrX that is the exact scene I had replaying in my head when I was writing that. His character is just so damn fun to watch. Gives 2 shits about your philosophical conversation and just zones it out except for the end... So your in? Cool.

I've never once given a thought to a top 10 fictional characters before but I'm pretty certain he would make my top 10 list. 
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Cara Gee and Dominique Tipper knocked it outta the park this past episode. With two episodes remaining I am confident they will get to the end of the book 5. But next year they have a lot of closure to do to wrap it up. 
    blue_sleeveGiovanni
  • edited January 26
    So here's a thought process I haven't heard mentioned here regarding the deck plates... What if they use a high powered magnet to keep them in place? It's not something that can really be proven or disproven but I think there's enough wiggle room to make something like that work. 
  • awookiee said:
    So here's a thought process I haven't heard mentioned here regarding the deck plates... What if they use a high powered magnet to keep them in place? It's not something that can really be proven or disproven but I think there's enough wiggle room to make something like that work. 
    That has to be the case. Really didn’t understand A. Ron’s continued drilling of that point, I thought it was really obvious due to how difficult it was for Naomi to lift, there’s no way it was just because of how much pain she was in.

If everyone on the show is wearing mag boots then why wouldn’t the grates be a certain level of magnetized?
    awookiee
  • ray_x03 said:

Meanwhile, Season 6 production is underway!
    I keep looking out for news updates on the possibility of continuing the live-action story after season 6. (Siiggghhh) REALLY hoping for a "SURPRISE, we're picking up the show somewhere else or we're switching to movies!"   

The fact that the writers and showrunner are being dodgy about it is still giving me hope for more. 
    CoryGiovanniElisa
  • Soooooo did Amos just forget about Charles (Lydia’s husband) when he went back to Baltimore the second time? Did Charles survive? Is he ok? 
  • Lab_Girl said:
    Soooooo did Amos just forget about Charles (Lydia’s husband) when he went back to Baltimore the second time? Did Charles survive? Is he ok? 
    Unfortunately I think Charles is gone, given at least half of Baltimore was under water when Amos returned.
    Lab_Girl
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    The finale was an incredible hour of TV. I thought they pulled their punch a little bit with Naomi making it out of that but with what happens with Alex it was still a brutal outcome. The ending with Amos' overly dramatic line of questioning and then bringing out Clarissa got a solid lol from me. 

Is what happened with Alex the same as what happens in the books? My first thought with him dying in basically a freeze frame type shot with no acting needed was this was how they resolved the whole Cas Anvar situation if they had already finished shooting before that went public.
    Cory
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Is what happened with Alex the same as what happens in the books? My first thought with him dying in basically a freeze frame type shot with no acting needed was this was how they resolved the whole Cas Anvar situation if they had already finished shooting before that went public.
    That's what I've been wondering too.
    Pretty sure filming was finished before the news about Anvar came out.
    They've had had to reshoot the scenes that mentioned his death, though.
  • The finale was an incredible hour of TV. I thought they pulled their punch a little bit with Naomi making it out of that but with what happens with Alex it was still a brutal outcome. The ending with Amos' overly dramatic line of questioning and then bringing out Clarissa got a solid lol from me. 

Book 5 spoiler

No - Alex is alive and well at the end of book 5

bizmarkiefader
  • That was an amazing episode and season.

That's it. That's the post.

ray_x03blue_sleeve
    I'm unclear what happened to the Bakereith. Did it explode from the fire demons? Or did it dissolve into another portal or something? Any insight to that ending (no book spoilers) is much appreciated.

Giovanni
  • I'm unclear what happened to the Bakereith. Did it explode from the fire demons? Or did it dissolve into another portal or something? Any insight to that ending (no book spoilers) is much appreciated.

Remember end of last season when Okoye came in contact with the object on illius? I think you’re meant to connect the two. 
  • bror.00 said:
    I'm unclear what happened to the Bakereith. Did it explode from the fire demons? Or did it dissolve into another portal or something? Any insight to that ending (no book spoilers) is much appreciated.

Remember end of last season when Okoye came in contact with the object on illius? I think you’re meant to connect the two. 

Yes. Just like when Holden completed the circuit for proto-Miller back on the slow zone station in season 3.
    bror.00 said:

And she's alive, right? So the ship and everyone on it is also intact? 
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited February 4
    bror.00 said:

I thought it was confusing too. I couldn't tell if the Martian ship and crew were being literally disassembled down to the atom for some reason, or if it was implying the 'evil' aliens/AI were watching them and this was the alien POV or something.
  • And she's alive, right? So the ship and everyone on it is also intact? 
    Okoye is alive, yes.

As for the Martian ship, the way I read the scene, they didn't make it past/through the event horizon of the ring. To me it seemed like the alien, whatever it is, tore them apart.

Holden had said previously that every time he transits a ring he can feel "them" and something happens to him each time. I can't recall exactly what he said, but I think he said something about being diminished each time, as if a part of him is taken away.
    blue_sleeve
  • bror.00 said:
    Okoye is alive, yes.

As for the Martian ship, the way I read the scene, they didn't make it past/through the event horizon of the ring. To me it seemed like the alien, whatever it is, tore them apart.

Holden had said previously that every time he transits a ring he can feel "them" and something happens to him each time. I can't recall exactly what he said, but I think he said something about being diminished each time, as if a part of him is taken away.
    @bror.00 Agreed. I did a rewatch and I’m with you on this. To me, it definitely looks like they get evaporated in an instant.
    bror.00
  • bror.00 said:
    Okoye is alive, yes.

Further evidence is how both Sauveterre and Babbage are frozen like Westworld hosts as the fire demons started swirling around - that says they're dead, to me. 
    bror.00 said:

Elvi going through the object on Ilus and what happened to the Barkieth, based on visual effects, are similar, but don't seem to be exactly the same. 
    bror.00