The Expanse Season 5 (ALL Book Spoilers!)

13»

Comments

• ray_x03 said:
    I just read Strange Dogs for the first time yesterday. Wow. I really now hope they can somehow adapt it in season 6, if they choose to give us some glimpses of Laconia. Given that the sample is already on Laconia, it shouldn't take long for Cortazar and company to activate the stick moons, right? 

Also, the effects on the Dutchmen event has me really revisualizing the complete obliteration of the slow zone in book 8... whew.

If we ever get to see the slow zone "Swiss cheese incident" oh man, it will be brutal. I envision Cronenberg-esqe body horror.
    Peepsmostlywright
  • MrX said:
    ray_x03 said:
    I just read Strange Dogs for the first time yesterday. Wow. I really now hope they can somehow adapt it in season 6, if they choose to give us some glimpses of Laconia. Given that the sample is already on Laconia, it shouldn't take long for Cortazar and company to activate the stick moons, right? 

Also, the effects on the Dutchmen event has me really revisualizing the complete obliteration of the slow zone in book 8... whew.

If we ever get to see the slow zone "Swiss cheese incident" oh man, it will be brutal. I envision Cronenberg-esqe body horror.
    Yeah. What's worse than Shed getting decapitated? A head sliced in half by the fire demons.

A boy can dream to see that one day...
    MrX
  • MrX said:
    ray_x03 said:
    Thanks to A.Ron, I now prefer "interdimensional fire demons" to "goths"

Interesting that it wasn't totally clear to him that the fire demons killed the Bakereith. I would have liked a shot of Sauveterre looking at his hand breaking down into atoms or something. I'm sure it will be become clear with Naomi's investigation next season.

Also ARon basically nailed what happens in book 7 when he said the Laconian's are gonna come out like Spartans in 100 years and whip everyone's ass. I like that the show has left enough hints for an attentive show watcher to lay the groundwork for where the plot is going.

So if the fire demons killed Sauveterre, who is the Duarte?
  • Eine Frau said:
    MrX said:
    ray_x03 said:

Interesting that it wasn't totally clear to him that the fire demons killed the Bakereith. I would have liked a shot of Sauveterre looking at his hand breaking down into atoms or something. I'm sure it will be become clear with Naomi's investigation next season.

Also ARon basically nailed what happens in book 7 when he said the Laconian's are gonna come out like Spartans in 100 years and whip everyone's ass. I like that the show has left enough hints for an attentive show watcher to lay the groundwork for where the plot is going.

Duarte. Sauveterre name checked him on the ship before he got eaten. Just don't think they're going to cast him, though.
    Elisa
  • ray_x03 said:
    Eine Frau said:
    MrX said:
    ray_x03 said:

Duarte. Sauveterre name checked him on the ship before he got eaten. Just don't think they're going to cast him, though.

Oops, missed that. Will have to watch that episode again. darn! ;)
  • I really hope they don't "Yada yada" through the Free Navy stuff and then cram some half-assed Laconia stuff in at the end...

Could see them leading into it and then throwing a movie out like Firefly to cap it off.  
  • Am I remembering a different series, or was there a storyline in the books about a certain amount of ships going through ring gates disappearing? Did they talk about it on the show?
  • Eine Frau said:
    Am I remembering a different series, or was there a storyline in the books about a certain amount of ships going through ring gates disappearing? Did they talk about it on the show?
    It was in book 5 (Monica and Holden's main storyline I think). The storyline is probably delayed for season 6 - there's only a handful of comments about missing ships in season 5.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited February 15
    I'm re-reading Babylon's Ashes, this paragraph certainly has more meaning with the way they handled show-Alex's demise!

• edited February 15
    I don't think people need to worry about them trying to rush any Laconia stuff in season 6, I think they'll end season 6 where book 6 ends, and then maybe there'll be further seasons/movies down the line and maybe there won't. The biggest challenge they have for next year is leaving the Laconia plot in a place that feels satisfying even though by definition all they'll be able to show there is setup for a season 7 that may never exist. That's going to be difficult, but I don't think they're going to try and shove a bunch of Tiamat's Wrath content in there or anything.
  • I don't think people need to worry about them trying to rush any Laconia stuff in season 6, I think they'll end season 6 where book 6 ends, and then maybe there'll be further seasons/movies down the line and maybe there won't. The biggest challenge they have for next year is leaving the Laconia plot in a place that feels satisfying even though by definition all they'll be able to show there is setup for a season 7 that may never exist. That's going to be difficult, but I don't think they're going to try and shove a bunch of Tiamat's Wrath content in there or anything.
    There's plenty of Laconia related stuff from book 6 they can do without cramming in books 7-9. Thought-out book 6 Laconia is in touch with the Free Navy, supporting them, most notably with the rail gun installation on the slow zone station. I could see them showing a bit of that from the Laconian side of the gate without giving away the big surprise to come.
  • MrX said:
    I'm re-reading Babylon's Ashes, this paragraph certainly has more meaning with the way they handled show-Alex's demise!

I re-read the prologue after season 5 finished. Man, I really hope they show how fucked Earth is in season 6. That prologue with Anna and her family was chilling.

I don't think people need to worry about them trying to rush any Laconia stuff in season 6, I think they'll end season 6 where book 6 ends, and then maybe there'll be further seasons/movies down the line and maybe there won't. The biggest challenge they have for next year is leaving the Laconia plot in a place that feels satisfying even though by definition all they'll be able to show there is setup for a season 7 that may never exist. That's going to be difficult, but I don't think they're going to try and shove a bunch of Tiamat's Wrath content in there or anything.
    Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to leave protomolecule/Laconia stories in a satisfying way in season 6, mostly for show-only people. Best case scenario we may get something like Strange Dogs in 2 eps or something, but even that would just be more tease of what's to come, instead of wrapping something up.

It would be a really sour taste the show leaves if we really only have 8 more hours of The Expanse left.