Are my BM Texas folks okay?

2»

Comments

• asmallcat said:
    https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1362552651561504769

Now he's blaming it all on his daughters asking to get away. What a spineless blobfish. 

No offense to blobfish. 

Also one of Heidi's friends leaked a group text discussing planning the trip. Lol nobody likes the Cruzs.
    Dee
  • After much back and forth I think my power is back on for good.. fingers crossed! Lost it early Monday morning, got it back Wednesday afternoon only to loose it after the kids were in bed. Spent a few nights cuddling in bed with the kids and another at a relatives house. Now we’re at HEB with the rest of town trying to restock our food that spoiled. Many thanks for the good vibes from the rest of the BM family for us Texans!
    FreddycdriveNoelDeeCretanBullJoshTheBlackA_Ron_Hubbard
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited February 19
    The aftermath of this is going to be rather interesting. Our mayor just posted a graphic showing that our municipal electric company paid more in the last 4 days than it did in the last two years combined, and that's with most people just flat out not even getting any of that power for any meaningful amount of time.

MurderbearcdriveNoelA_Ron_Hubbard
  • I guess price gouging is only illegal when randos do it with toilet paper, not when billionaires do it with electricity. 
    DeeCretanBullMurderbear
  • Hatorian said:
    Those coastal liberal elites and their *checks notes* charity! 
    tom_gHatorianJoshTheBlack
    edited February 19
    I wonder if Rick Perry has anymore to say about this. Something along the lines of "Texans would rather lose their life savings paying for the little bit of barely functioning power they had than have one ounce of federal interference in their power grid!" would probably be on brand.
    JoshTheBlack
  • Then you got people outright calling AOC raising money for Texas as a publicity stunt etc even though she's raised 3mil+. These people are mentally sick.  Publicity stunt or not she did more than Cruz, Abbott, any Texas politician. 
    Hatorian
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Just got back from my Mom’s and feel better after seeing her ceiling damage. I thought it was the whole ceiling but it’s only a 10’ dia. hole in a guest room. Still bad but not catastrophic.  Whole rest of the house is fine and has power. Kids and I dropped off a case of bottled water and helped her fill buckets for flushing with her next door neighbor’s faucet.  She has restoration people coming this afternoon. Grocery stores are still pretty bare for certain things.  70 degrees and sunny today. 
    DeeNoelA_Ron_HubbardMichelle
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Good lord, I just saw a tweet going around where the power company is saying, "don't worry about that $10k bill you'll be getting, we'll let you finance that out for 10 years to make the payments affordable."  What a terrible situation. Even without knowing the interest rate, that's going to wreck a lot of people's fiances. And, I'm not even convinced this won't happen again in the next 10-20 years. So right as you pay off the first once in a life time crisis bill, you get another.

Hope they find better solutions for Texans, yikes.
    HatoriancdriveFreddy
  • Freddy said:
    The aftermath of this is going to be rather interesting. Our mayor just posted a graphic showing that our municipal electric company paid more in the last 4 days than it did in the last two years combined, and that's with most people just flat out not even getting any of that power for any meaningful amount of time.

So what exactly happened here? Did the electric companies jack up the price 3000%? 
    Cory
    edited February 23
    Giovanni said:
    Freddy said:

So what exactly happened here? Did the electric companies jack up the price 3000%? 
    Something like that. The wholesale market went up by 10000% (even though natural gas itself only went up by 911%). Most municipal electric companies, including ours, charge either a flat rate or have a nominal rate cap. From my understanding, the vast majority of Texans won't directly be affected by this; its more the municipalities and power retailers that are going to eat shit. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few towns go bankrupt over this. We will definitely see power companies go under. Even still, I pay taxes to my city just like most people. One way or another we all eat shit on this.

Edit: Just saw this article explaining Denton's situation. https://dentonrc.com/business/denton-municipal-electric-seeking-to-borrow-up-to-300-million-following-winter-storm/article_b59c7847-6962-5fd3-a580-1ed71b269df5.html
    NoelGiovanni
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited February 23
    Good lord, I just saw a tweet going around where the power company is saying, "don't worry about that $10k bill you'll be getting, we'll let you finance that out for 10 years to make the payments affordable."  What a terrible situation. Even without knowing the interest rate, that's going to wreck a lot of people's fiances. And, I'm not even convinced this won't happen again in the next 10-20 years. So right as you pay off the first once in a life time crisis bill, you get another.

The second option is the state or fed pay for it. So either way,Texans foot the bill themselves, or through their taxes. Or all of us help out. Of course telling ERCOT to fuck off and remove the charges isn’t an option...
    One thing I've thought of is a power conservation protest. People and businesses shutting their power down as much as possible as a means of driving down the price to the point that it costs the brokers more than they made. A boy can dream, right?
    Hatorian
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Hatorian said:

The second option is the state or fed pay for it. So either way,Texans foot the bill themselves, or through their taxes. Or all of us help out. Of course telling ERCOT to fuck off and remove the charges isn’t an option...
    Just make Ted Cruz take care of the whole bill.
    Hatorian
  • Freddy said:
    Giovanni said:
    Freddy said:

Something like that. The wholesale market went up by 10000% (even though natural gas itself only went up by 911%). Most municipal electric companies, including ours, charge either a flat rate or have a nominal rate cap. From my understanding, the vast majority of Texans won't directly be affected by this; its more the municipalities and power retailers that are going to eat shit. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few towns go bankrupt over this. We will definitely see power companies go under. Even still, I pay taxes to my city just like most people. One way or another we all eat shit on this.

Edit: Just saw this article explaining Denton's situation. https://dentonrc.com/business/denton-municipal-electric-seeking-to-borrow-up-to-300-million-following-winter-storm/article_b59c7847-6962-5fd3-a580-1ed71b269df5.html
    I'd like to see those totals next to a chart of the cost to winterize equipment over 10 years.  I wonder which would be cheaper.  I believe if I got a massive bill from a Texas power company after this shit show, I would refuse to pay, pack up and move out of state.  Pretty sure you can move a family of 4 out of state for less than the cost of some people's power bills.  Including first months rent and security deposit.  Maybe not closing costs if you are selling/buying.  On the bright side, you will be on a grid that is regulated and extends beyond the borders of your state!
    HatorianNoelFreddyA_Ron_Hubbard
  • Yeah how the fuck have we allowed it to become law that a power company can refuse to prep the power grid for natural disasters and then bill their customers for the damages, who have no choice but to buy from them because they’re the only game in town, despite it being the power company’s fault that the grid failed? How is it that I, hypothetical Texan guy, am paying more money to not have any power for a week because my power company fucked up? That seems like Roaring 20’s robber baron absurdity. 
    cdriveHatorianGiovanni
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Alkaid13 said:
    Yeah how the fuck have we allowed it to become law that a power company can refuse to prep the power grid for natural disasters and then bill their customers for the damages, who have no choice but to buy from them because they’re the only game in town, despite it being the power company’s fault that the grid failed? How is it that I, hypothetical Texan guy, am paying more money to not have any power for a week because my power company fucked up? That seems like Roaring 20’s robber baron absurdity. 
    Capitalism! Free market will self regulate! Trickle down something something! 
    Giovanni
  • I think the big bills are from natural gas companies.  Evidently, burn at your peril. 
  • Dee said:
    Alkaid13 said:
    Yeah how the fuck have we allowed it to become law that a power company can refuse to prep the power grid for natural disasters and then bill their customers for the damages, who have no choice but to buy from them because they’re the only game in town, despite it being the power company’s fault that the grid failed? How is it that I, hypothetical Texan guy, am paying more money to not have any power for a week because my power company fucked up? That seems like Roaring 20’s robber baron absurdity. 
    Capitalism! Free market will self regulate! Trickle down something something! 

I blame Ayn Rand and her cousins the Koch brothers.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited March 11
    Alkaid13 said:
    No, the bills are from the power generator companies that did prep.  That's supposed to be the award for prepping for something that happens very infrequently, the generating companies make the money they spent prepping back while everyone else was knocked offline.  The price of electricity spiked because there was falling supply while the demand spiked, anyone buying on the wholesale market (i.e did not have prebought contracts), including retail customers who were on variable price contracts that reflect the wholesale prices were screwed at those times.