Succession - HBO

Comments

• MrXMrX CO
    edited October 2021
    So many good moments to unpack in this episode. I think I most enjoyed Jess (Kendall's assistant) relaying what Logan was saying on the phone, and editing out the cuss words (she must be the most pure character in the show to be exposed to these monsters all day and yet she still won't swear!)

Also loved Kendall overall this episode, we just got the best of his characters from all dimensions. Jeremy Strong really brought right it out of the gate. "Going to get some of the Bojack guys to run my Twitter account" lol lol
    MichelleNoel
  • I mean, look at this fuckin' maniac

MichelleNoel
  • Are we doing spoilers in this thread?
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited October 2021
    Are we doing spoilers here? Because
    Kendall’s riding high right now, but in the true nature of this show I suspect it’s gonna crash down on him or something will happen to f*ck it all up. Great first ep though, set the table nicely for the season.
    edited October 2021
    MrX said:
    I mean, look at this fuckin' maniac

“Who said I never killed anyone?”
    sigh. Oh Kendall. :grimace:
    Noel
  • Nobody on TV has better dialogue than Roman. 

Watching the “coming up on Succession” trailer, and busted out laughing at: 

Gerri *on the phone*: Stick with me Roman, I’m a very dangerous enemy to have.

Roman: Ya know…don’t threaten me Gerri, I don’t have time to jerk off. 
    FreddyMichelleNoelhisdudeness915
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    MrX said:

The Juice is loose!
    Noel
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Michelle said:
    MrX said:

Wanna bet this is coming back. Logan’s ace in the hole. 
    Michelle
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Michelle said:
    MrX said:

wouldn't Kendall take him down with him? not a good look for Logan who helped him cover it up.
    Michelle
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Michelle said:
    MrX said:

That moment just gave me chills. God...hated it so much. Yet also so compelling and also telling of Kendall's character. In fact, I hated Kendall throughout this episode. 
    Michelle
  • Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    MrX said:

wouldn't Kendall take him down with him? not a good look for Logan who helped him cover it up.

Do we know what the evidence is if Logan tried to put this on him at this point? If nothing implicates Logan and the only thing Kendal has is his word that he's involved then it might not matter.
    Michelle
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Still enjoying it but this last episode was the first one where the constant jockeying and/or waffling started to wear on me. Probably just a hurdle they had to clear so you understand why everyone is on whatever side they're on.

I so wish there was one character who could just tell everyone to fuck off while also somehow having to stay involved. Just for my sanity. It's so frustrating. 

A little odd to me that Logan hasn't reverted to his carpet peeing for a while.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    rad! this season won't be the last. renewed for S4!

akiMrXMichelleNoel
  • Did you all catch the picture that pops up on Shiv's phone when Logan calls? :D

MichelleNoelakihisdudeness915
    chrisk said:
    Still enjoying it but this last episode was the first one where the constant jockeying and/or waffling started to wear on me. Probably just a hurdle they had to clear so you understand why everyone is on whatever side they're on.

I so wish there was one character who could just tell everyone to fuck off while also somehow having to stay involved. Just for my sanity. It's so frustrating. 

A little odd to me that Logan hasn't reverted to his carpet peeing for a while.
    I keep waiting for more health issues, and wouldn't be surprised if they resurface at some point this season. And I think you are right. As good as the episode was, all the posturing and plotting got to be a bit much here. But also seemed to be necessary for the show to move to the next part of the season. 

MrX said:
    Did you all catch the picture that pops up on Shiv's phone when Logan calls? :D

I saw that it definitely wasn't Logan, but it was so quick that I missed it. That is amazing. 
    Chinaski said:

This is one of the hottest shows on TV. I doubt they’re going to be canceling it anytime soon.  There is so much potential for many, many seasons.
    This season is action packed and on fire. Absolutely loving it.
    Noel
  • edited October 2021
    This show is at its absolute best when the Lannisterrrrrrr Roy kids are all in the same room. 

Logan has broken all of them in such different and specific ways and they’re all hyper aware of how to cut the other 3 that it just makes their scenes together crackle with electricity. 

This is probably in my Top 3 episodes now.

Michelle
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:

This is one of the hottest shows on TV. I doubt they’re going to be canceling it anytime soon.  There is so much potential for many, many seasons.
    I've read that the show runner intends next season, or the season after to be the last. So while it may not be cancelled, it may end of its own accord. Which makes sense to me, it can't just go forever. May as well end on while it is still telling interesting stories. 
    MichelleChinaski
  • Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:

I've read that the show runner intends next season, or the season after to be the last. So while it may not be cancelled, it may end of its own accord. Which makes sense to me, it can't just go forever. May as well end on while it is still telling interesting stories. 

I think Brian Cox and Alan Ruck have both said something to this effect as well in recent podcast interviews I've heard
  • This show is at its absolute best when the Lannisterrrrrrr Roy kids are all in the same room. 

Logan has broken all of them in such different and specific ways and they’re all hyper aware of how to cut the other 3 that it just makes their scenes together crackle with electricity. 

Having them be in a literal child's room made it even better this episode!
    RyanReesemanMichelleChinaski
  • MrX said:
    This show is at its absolute best when the Lannisterrrrrrr Roy kids are all in the same room. 

Having them be in a literal child's room made it even better this episode!
    It was such perfect symbolism.
    Michelle
  • Not sure if you all have seen this interview but:

Interesting to see that for Kendall the "No Real Person Involved" comment from his dad about the boy in the UK was the key that lead him to do what he did.   I thought it was the "you're not a killer" comment, but listing to this interview made that a lot more clear.   I had to re-watch all of season 1 and 2 again since I'd forgotten so much about it, but I'm glad I did.   Anyone else do a binge watch of season 1 and 2 again?   Anything that you missed the first time you watch the show (or maybe caught but forgot about it)?
  • Just want to chime in a say that I think this show is by far the best drama on TV and quickly making it's way into the pantheon on all-time greats.  Almost every scene is riveting for a different reason and the characters are full of pathos which is a real HBO staple at this point.

I know Succession is popular, but I still feel it should be more popular than it is.  It's not glorifying and celebrating the financial elite, if anything it reveals how much of a clown show it all is and the failures of corporate capitalism. The window into the awkward relationships and power dynamics within wealthy families à la the Murdochs and Trumps is also disturbingly compelling.

RyanReesemanNoelalexander.klassen
  • edited November 2021
    Just want to chime in a say that I think this show is by far the best drama on TV and quickly making it's way into the pantheon on all-time greats.  Almost every scene is riveting for a different reason and the characters are full of pathos which is a real HBO staple at this point.

I know Succession is popular, but I still feel it should be more popular than it is.  It's not glorifying and celebrating the financial elite, if anything it reveals how much of a clown show it all is and the failures of corporate capitalism. The window into the awkward relationships and power dynamics within wealthy families à la the Murdochs and Trumps is also disturbingly compelling.

I have a brief outburst of anger every single time the credits roll. That hasn’t happened since very early Game of Thrones.

Anyone who thinks this show glorifies the financial elite is just repeating second hand nonsense they heard from someone else. Jason Concepcion said it best when he said it was laughable that someone would say they can’t relate to any of these horrible rich people and then list Game of Thrones and The Sopranos amongst their favorite shows.
    Noel
  • I haven't seen much discussion around it glorifying the elite but the criticism I've seen the most that I do get is why should I care about any of this if I don't like any of the characters. I had a hard time getting into the show at the beginning and it took me about six months to get through the first half of the first season, I only kept going because I was being told on a constant basis how incredible the show was. It picked up and I was all the way in by the time I got to the send of S1 but I can totally see why people would watch it and meh out.
    edited November 2021
    Also, if my math is correct, Waystar RoyCo is valued at around 78.75 billion.

bizmarkiefaderMichelleRyanReesemanNoel
    edited November 2021
    4% of his 10% = over $300M.  :astonished:
    I work in accounting and even that blew me away and I was trying to calculate it like

Michelle said:
    4% of his 10% = over $300M.  :astonished:
    I work in accounting and even that blew me away and I was trying to calculate it like

I thought it was the other way around. 10% of his 4% investment.