Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• Delta, Mu, … this is the worst fraternity rush ever. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited November 2021
    I’m scheduled for a booster shot (Pfizer) and a flu shot in 2 hrs at a CVS close by.

I got my 2nd moderna shot at the end of March. I read reports that you can mix and that doing so has shown increased efficacy of the booster shot. CVS shows which location has which booster so I chose one jabbing Pfizer.

Also read it’s ok to get your flu shot the same time as the booster. Initially it was recommended to do them 2 weeks apart but now that’s been updated to say it’s okay to do them simultaneously. 

My fear would be getting the flu, giving it to my 4th grader, and then he would get pulled into Virtual again for the third time this fall semester. The 2nd time really upset him and understandably so. 

We’re also making covid vaccine appointments this week for both of our boys (6 yrs old & 9 yrs old)

It’s finally here….
    DeeMichelleJoshTheBlack
  • cdrive said:
    I’m scheduled for a booster shot (Pfizer) and a flu shot in 2 hrs at a CVS close by.

I got my 2nd moderna shot at the end of March. I read reports that you can mix and match and that doing so has shown increased efficacy of the booster shot. CVS shows which location has which booster so I chose one jabbing Pfizer.

Also read it’s ok to get your flu shot the same time as the booster. Initially it was recommended to do them 2 weeks apart but now that’s been updated to say it’s okay to do them simultaneously. 

My fear would be getting the flu, giving it to my 4th grader, and then he would get pulled into Virtual again for the third time this fall semester. The 2nd time really upset him and understandably so. 

We’re also making covid vaccine appointments this week for both of our boys (6 yrs old & 9 yrs old)

It’s finally here….
    Don't take medical advice from me because I'm not a doctor, but since the onset of covid the flu rates have absolutely plummetted - like a few percent of usual seasonal rates (I read one report where the expect number of cases was over 100k but the actual number of cases was like 5k).  The measures we take to deal with covid (wearing a mask, keeping your distance, washing your hands etc) make the spread of flu very difficult.
    cdriveMichelle
    Oh yeah forgot about that. I remember last year’s flu season wasn’t so bad. So, not really something to lose sleep over…getting flu and giving to kiddos. But still gonna get it just to be extra safe.

Man soonest I’m seeing for kids is 11/18 thru Texas Children’s Pediatrics.  They start jabbing 11/6 though. Is there seriously that much demand? Maybe just on the forefront.  I heard on NPR I’m in the 1 in 3 camp of parents who are ready as soon as it’s available. A third will wait & see and the last third are a No. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I got my booster on Monday. Outside of some arm soreness, no other symptoms to speak of. 
    DeecdriveMichelleCretanBull
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    The hospital pharmacy won’t give me my card until I wait 15 minutes. 
    I got the maderna booster I originally got the JJ. If I had known now I would have got maderna or phizer on my original vax shot. I only got JJ because it was available at the close and fastest place.
  • @kingbee67 I thought I heard discussion around it being beneficial to get a different type of booster so you might be good.
    CretanBullkingbee67
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @kingbee67 I thought I heard discussion around it being beneficial to get a different type of booster so you might be good.
    Yeah, there’s a daily ten minute podcast here from the national broadcaster about all things Covid and they talked about a study that was done showing that mixing was probably more beneficial than just having the same booster as the first two, except if you got Moderna first then stick with it. 
    edited November 2021
    Yeah in retrospect I should’ve stuck w/ Moderna but still glad I got the booster done. Splitting frog hairs. My wife is sticking w/ Moderna. 
    Michelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I’m getting Moderna for my third - I had Pfizer for first and second. I can’t get it til Feb though as we can’t get third shots here until 6 months after the second one. :-(
    Michelle
  • My 6 year old got their first shot Monday! And I’m getting boosted today. Give me all the antibodies!!
    cdriveMichelleDee
  • Got my booster this past monday.  Originally got the 2-dose Pfizer.  Got the Moderna booster.  

First shot: no symptoms. 
    Second shot: about a day and a half of chills, sluggishness, and feeling generally really bad.  Like scale of 1-10, it was probably an 6 on the shitty scale.

Booster: Sore arm, a hint of a chill that evening and mild sluggishness the next day.  Scale of 1-10, like a 2.  
    cdriveDeeMichelle
  • I stayed with Pfizer for all three.  I know there's been some results showing a potential for a minor increase in protection from mixing and matching the mRNA (big boost is clear if the initial was J&J), but my extended family have all had pretty bad reactions to Moderna, even the booster, so there may be a predisposition in our gene pool to bad side effects to that particular shot.  I considered looking for Moderna anyway, but in the end I wasn't quite ready to trade a few potential percentage points of protection increase for a really bad few days vs staying with Pfizer and getting roughly the same level of protection without the risk.

As far as my experience to the various shots: no reaction from 1st dose, 2nd dose left me tired for a day, 3rd dose was a minor headache the next morning but Tylenol was enough to knock that out and was otherwise fine.
    DeeMichelleJoshTheBlack
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Just got my Pfizer booster & flu shot.  Not today, satan! 
    DeecdriveJoshTheBlack
  • Everybody, if your country allows the booster, please get on that ASAP after the 6 month time frame from initial vaccination.  This Omicron variant has potential to be pretty bad.  We just don't know enough yet to say one way or another, but better safe than sorry.  Especially going in to the holidays.  

The booster is a smaller dose than the first two, FYI.

If recent history has taught us anything, Omicron is already spreading through our communities here in America.  We don't do nearly enough variant testing.  We don't require vaccination on international arrivals if they are American citizens.  We don't have mandatory quarantine when entering the country.  We have massive amounts of international travel.  
    Michelle
    edited November 2021
    My boys just got their 2nd dose today. 

Omicron…
    It usually takes 2 weeks after discovery of a new dominant variant to know if it’s going to cause a lot of hospitalization and severe symptoms. There is some misinfo out there in my opinion prematurely saying Omicron is mild. (I would love for that to be true of course. We’re all sick of this shit.) Today the epidemiologist I follow says there is now a “marked change” in symptoms.

”MARKED CHANGE”—In South Africa : “Young people, in their 20s to late 30s, are coming in with moderate to severe disease, some needing intensive care. About 65% are not vaccinated—most of the rest are only half-vaccinated”. 

I agree w/ JTB - it’s probably already here in the states.

Michelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    For anyone who is interested in some digestible information about what we know about Omicron so far (hint: not much), you may find this week’s daily episodes of the Coronacast podcast useful. You can find the show on your podcast app or on their website: 

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/coronacast/

It’s a week-daily ten minute podcast about what’s going on with Corona - obviously a lot of it is Australia-specific but the Omicron info is more general.

(Fun fact: Dr Norman Swan is the father of Jonathan Swan, the journalist famous for his facial expressions while attempting to interview Trump.)
    CretanBullcdriveMichelle
    edited December 2021
    My oldest niece tested positive today, as well as her bestie and my youngest niece’s bestie. So far my youngest niece has tested negative, and my sister tested negative. All of the girls are unvaccinated. Please send good juju! :heart:  I feel so bad for her - her 18th bday is Sunday, and now her party’s been canceled. :cry:

I haven’t seen them since Thanksgiving, but my dad has so he is going to self-test today.  I’ve been around him, so if he tests positive (which at 76, I really hope he doesn’t), I’ll need to self-test as well. He has been fighting cold symptoms for the past couple of days and I have slight cold symptoms. Both he and I are fully vaxxed and boosted, so I’m hoping it is just a cold for he & I and nothing more serious. I’ll know tonight though. :neutral:

EDIT:  Dad tested positive, and I tested negative.  I’m going to retest in 3 to 5 days just to be sure. :confused:
  • Michelle said:
    My oldest niece tested positive today, as well as her bestie and my youngest niece’s bestie. So far my youngest niece has tested negative, and my sister tested negative. All of the girls are unvaccinated. Please send good juju! :heart:  I feel so bad for her - her 18th bday is Sunday, and now her party’s been canceled. :cry:

I haven’t seen them since Thanksgiving, but my dad has so he is going to self-test today.  I’ve been around him, so if he tests positive (which at 76, I really hope he doesn’t), I’ll need to self-test as well. He has been fighting cold symptoms for the past couple of days and I have slight cold symptoms. Both he and I are fully vaxxed and boosted, so I’m hoping it is just a cold for he & I and nothing more serious. I’ll know tonight though. :neutral:

EDIT:  Dad tested positive, and I tested negative.  I’m going to retest in 3 to 5 days just to be sure. :confused:

Sorry to hear that Michelle, I hope everyone has a quick and easy recovery.
    @Michelle we’re pulling for you and your fam. Hopefully your Dad will be fine as fully vaxxed and boosted. <3
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    so sorry to hear such unfortunate news @Michelle. wishing your family a fast and smooth recovery, and glad you tested negative. can't imagine the stress you must be going through, hang in there and try to stay in positive spirits. sending good vibes your way!
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Oh Michelle, what a rough time you’re having lately! I hope you and your fam stay well. Thankfully you and your dad have had the 3 jabs - that third supposedly gives you a nice big boost of immunity. ❤️
    @mharmless @cdrive @Chinaski @Dee thank you all for your sweet replies.  This has definitely been a challenging week. :cry:  Love you, fam. :heart:
    DeecdriveChinaski
    edited December 2021
    Confirmed… my youngest niece (15 next month) does actually have it. :disappointed:  

I still feel the same but also have a headache this morning. Took my temp and it's 100.1. Retesting tomorrow night (3 days since my test on Thurs night). :neutral:
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Fingers crossed for you, @Michelle
    Michelle
    Dee said:
    Fingers crossed for you, @Michelle

ty :heart:
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle How are your dad and your nieces doing?
    edited December 2021
    Dee said:
    @Michelle How are your dad and your nieces doing?

My oldest niece lost taste/smell but said she is starting to feel less 'bleh' (that's a technical term, lol).  Still not great though. Today's actually her 18th birthday and she can only have a small thing (open presents, & try to eat cake & that's pretty much it) at her house with my sis and my youngest niece. :(   We will have a small family thing for her when we can.

My youngest niece can taste/smell but has a constant headache behind her eyes and is just run down. :(

Dad is feeling better, not 100% yet but getting better.  Thank science gawwwwwdddd he's vaxxed & boosted.

Thanks for checking in. :heart:

I just retested and it's negative.  I still have a scratchy throat though so maybe I just coincidentally have a touch of a cold or something?  Or maybe it still hasn't been long enough?  I dunno but I'm grateful for every negative test.

Thanks again for the love.
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited December 2021
    @Michelle It sucks to feel bleh, but hopefully everyone stays at that level and it’s just mild. <3

Our booster time got brought forward a month since everyone is stressing about Omicron, which makes me eligible Jan 5. I can’t wait - I’m right in the “waning immunity” phase now and our state opened the borders a couple of weeks ago so we are getting dribs and drabs of cases now after having none in the community for a year, and saying I’m stressing about it is putting it mildly. :-(
    Michelle
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    my daughter has been sick for the last few days (stuffed up with a sore throat). her school requires testing before she can go back, so I took her to get tested today via the testing center her school uses. so they swab her nose, complete the test and we drive off. apparently the test triggered a snot storm and being the unprepared dad that i am i have no tissues, napkins, or anything that she can use to blow her nose with in my car. i pull over in the pouring rain, look around, and just rip off the shirt i'm wearing under my hoodie haha. desperate times call for desperate measures. my kid had the most WTF face, but appreciated the assist. now fingers crossed (with one less shirt) that the test comes back negative. helluva way to start off my week.
    DeeMichelleMrX