"Children of Time" Book Discussion

chriskchrisk Indianapolis
Anyone else read this recommendation from ARon? This is the one about the intelligent spiders on the terraformed planet. 

Hooooly hell, was it good. Got through it in four nights.

Agree with ARon that the human parts weren't as interesting, but I'd say that all pays off by the end. 

There were a couple parts where I worried it was going to veer off into more predictable and well-traveled territory, but it recovered both times. Really sticks the ending too. At first I found it a little abrupt but after some thought I think it was the right call. 
blacksunrise7

Comments

• Holy Hell is right my Brother!! It was quite a ride. The best of space opera I would say. Highly recommend. 
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    In the middle of the second one, Children of Ruin . Took a while to get in the groove on this one. Again because of the humans, but this time their story gets really good so I’m trucking along now. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Haven't tried Ruin yet. Curious to see how you like it by the end, cause it seems like it gets mixed reviews.
    chrisk
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited December 2021
    Finished it a few days after the previous post. It’s not as good as the first book but still very interesting. 

There are two new major species and one of them is octopuses and you’re introduced to them gradually, like the spiders in book 1. Their origin plays out a bit differently though. I will say I didn’t quite connect with them in the same way. Might be because I already found the species interesting whereas learning to like spiders was one gradually unrolling pleasant surprise after another. The author doesn’t really get in the octopuses’ heads to the same extent, which seems intentional but was to me a bit less engrossing. Still fascinating stuff though and as with the spiders you can tell he does his research. 

I should add that human/octopus communication barrier is also a big part of the story. 

The other species I won’t say much about but that’s the part that became really interesting by the end. 

An interesting but brief part of the first book was when the one human woman gets left behind on the spider planet. I had hoped the spiders would  learn more from her and with this book I once again hoped we might get some flashbacks to the full human arrival and how they learned to coexist. There’s a bit of that later on but I’d have liked more. I’d read a whole book on that story alone. 

Anyway, I’d recommend this one too. Just don’t expect a similar experience. Apparently a third one was *completed* last year but it’s still in the editing/rewriting phase. 
    blacksunrise7