Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    @Freddy whichever it was, it hurt my brain. :sweat_smile:
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited November 2021
    Don’t forget to burp the toilet wine!
    Teresa from ConcordNoelMichelle
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    It sucks that I’m not able to watch the show live (my investment in the NFL and other things) but I’m gonna try to do so going forward as much as I can. I felt like the first couple episodes were a bit underwhelming but man, these last two have ramped it to some of the best of the series and TV in general. The tension in the silence when Logan and Ken are sitting next to each other was absolutely amazing. Brian Cox and Jeremy Strong are like two elite tennis players just going back and forth, trading shot after shot during a rally in the championship match.
    MichelleMrXRyanReeseman
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    If Connor doesn't wind up president, I'm going to be severely disappointed. Like "they should have handed him the phone, so we could hear how he talks to the president" disappointed.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I hear Connor was interested in politics from a very young age. 
    edited November 2021
    @Freddy @Garthgou81 you guys probably loved this ep if you’re into the politics of it all.

This ep was just one more step closer to me being fully concerned about Tom. When he walked back into the hotel after meeting with Kendall, and the camera was just following him as he silently made his way back to Logan’s room, I really thought he might decide to end it or something. There was just this sense of dread and fully feeling his own sense of being at his lowest - team Logan (including his own wife) is content with relegating him to prison time just to be the fall guy, and team Kendall (which is essentially just Kendall at this point) is, as Tom said, about to be fucked. So he’s a man without a country and either way he leans, it’s doom.  He’s been drowning in prison blogs & when he even tries to talk to Shiv about his worries or his sadness or being scared about all of this, she coldly shuts him down & doesn’t want to hear it, then tries to use sex to make him feel better when all he really wants is a base emotional connection with someone who will show him some modicum of true caring.  And I have to say, despite how he’s treated Greg in the past, and despite his shredding docs, I’m hopping on team Tom.  Fuck the entire Roy family.  Tom wasn’t made for this world, as hard as he so tried to belong. :heartbreak:

Speaking of that scene with Kendall and Tom in the parking lot - that was true master class acting from both actors. I hope Matthew McFadyen is nominated for a supporting role at the next Emmys though & submits that scene for their consideration.  Just stellar.
    bizmarkiefaderMrX
  • For all of the shit Tom has done and covered up he deserves to go to jail along with pretty much all of the rest of them so I don't exactly feel bad for him, but he's by far the most defeated and seems like he's going to provide some kind of twist or do something drastic. It seems like he doesn't feel attached to or care about the family anymore, but I can't tell what his vibe is with Logan. Logan is appreciating him more and asking his opinion in ways he wasn't before, but I wonder if that's enough for Tom to be comfortable eating shit for him or if he's going to go rogue without Shiv anchoring him to his place in the family.
    MichelleMrX
  • Kendall’s birthday episode looks like it’s going to be the most difficult to watch cringe-fest of all time, and I for one can’t wait.
    bizmarkiefaderFreddyMichelle
    edited November 2021
    For all of the shit Tom has done and covered up he deserves to go to jail along with pretty much all of the rest of them so I don't exactly feel bad for him, but he's by far the most defeated and seems like he's going to provide some kind of twist or do something drastic. It seems like he doesn't feel attached to or care about the family anymore, but I can't tell what his vibe is with Logan. Logan is appreciating him more and asking his opinion in ways he wasn't before, but I wonder if that's enough for Tom to be comfortable eating shit for him or if he's going to go rogue without Shiv anchoring him to his place in the family.
    I feel like the more he sees that the family he married into is so willing to just let him go to prison to do penance in lieu of any of the rest of the Roys that are just as (if not actually even more) guilty than Tom is, he starts to understand how soulless they are deep down to their cores.  I truly believe that if Tom had not been SO eager to please Logan in season 1 and wasn’t trying so hard to fit into the family and get the sibs & Logan’s approval, he probably wouldn’t have done & said more than half of what he did.  I get the sense that before he met Shiv & was integrated into the family, he was probably a decent human being who just craved approval & emotional connection.  Now he’s seeing their true nature & realizing that deep down, he’s not okay with that & feeling regretful of his own actions while putting up that front in an effort to be a part of Logan’s inner circle.  That look he was giving Shiv (staring her down in disappointment and regret) after returning from the diner parking lot convo w/Kendall just says so much with no words. 

Eager to see if he leans more toward going rogue in the last few remaining eps this season or if he is just back to his awful ways.  I’d love to see him go rogue.
    bizmarkiefader
    When Kendall pulled the phone camera out...I just lost it. It was one of those sublime moments; because the way the camera is positioned, you can't entirely see what Kendall has. But knowing Kendall, of course that is what he'd do and you put everything else together from there until you hear the camera sound effect. It was grotesque. 

I didn't love this episode as much as past episodes. I think partly because of all the new characters and relationships we are trying to swallow. Still good, but more of an introduction and table-setting, while last week's episode was such a thrill ride from beginning to end. 

That said, I am wondering what role Logan's assistant who he is becoming chummy with will have to play. If I thought Kendall were more savvy, I'd say that she'd been leaking information to him. But he is doing so shitty and that idea is kind of cliche, that I don't see it happening. She must have something bigger coming up.

But yeah, next episode...I can't wait...and also I will be watching it through my fingers. 
    @Garthgou81 my dream scenario is that she’s a plant placed by Tom & Greg, who are secretly working together to take down the entire family - but that’s not likely. I wish it were though - imagine the two people who are most on the outskirts of the family teaming up to destroy the empire.
    Michelle said:
    @Garthgou81 my dream scenario is that she’s a plant placed by Tom & Greg, who are secretly working together to take down the entire family - but that’s not likely. I wish it were though - imagine the two people who are most on the outskirts of the family teaming up to destroy the empire.
    I know, that would be killer. But its not really how the show operates, at least so far. It would verge on the soap opera'y. But it goes back to one of the real problems with the Roy kids, if they could only work together and get on the same page, they might be able to get traction. Instead everyone is too concerned about their status and the risk by moving against their dad. Rightfully so. They come by their reactions to this stuff honestly through a childhood of conditioning and emotional abuse. But the point is still there. 
    Michelle
    But yeah, next episode...I can't wait...and also I will be watching it through my fingers. 
    Yeah, tonight's going to be a cringefest in the best way.

The look of a woman about to change allegiances.

edited November 2021
    Such a crazy mix of emotions in this ep.  I'd write a short story but thought I'd keep it short & sweet this time. :smiley:

About to turn it on:

Watching the party like:

During *the* Shiv/Roman/Kendall scene:
    (seriously, f**k you, Rome.)

The last couple of minutes:

jluzania
    I really wish I could have seen what the rest of Tom's night was like. Also, I knew the title ("Too Much Birthday") sounded familiar. The interview after the episode made it clear that they took it from a Berenstain Bears book that I read countless times as a kid. No spoilers for Berenstain Bears, but the plot is similar to that episode. 
    Michelle
    edited November 2021
    @Garthgou81 I suspect he went home with Shiv, not much conversation on the drive home, and when they got home she went directly to the bedroom to change and he poured a cold glass of subpar white wine.  They then spent the rest of the night in silence - her mostly stewing about yet again being shut out by the ‘boys club’ at Waystar - and fell asleep on opposite sides of the bed, no sex at all.  I have a feeling he is realizing that although he escaped one prison, he is still trapped in another of sorts.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Great breakdown of how the show is shot.

Michelle said:
    @Garthgou81 I suspect he went home with Shiv, not much conversation on the drive home, and when they got home she went directly to the bedroom to change and he poured a cold glass of subpar white wine.  They then spent the rest of the night in silence - her mostly stewing about yet again being shut out by the ‘boys club’ at Waystar - and fell asleep on opposite sides of the bed, no sex at all.  I have a feeling he is realizing that although he escaped one prison, he is still trapped in another of sorts.
    You are probably right. I was hoping for some night on the town like he alluded to. But he probably just went home. 
    Michelle
    edited December 2021
    Small hint about the season finale from J. Smith-Cameron. :astonished:
    https://twitter.com/bravowwhl/status/1465900741734932483?s=21

• Kendall having a mental breakdown while wading through thousands of dollars of meaningless gifts to find the gift from his kids was just the cherry on top of this episode. His manic episode has been building through the entire season and it looks like it's finally about to crack. The next episode will be interesting.

Also shout-out to cousin Greg for getting that hot date! Even if it was mainly out of spite.
    MichelleTeresa from Concord
  • dan2988dan2988 manchester uk
    The guys are really missing out by snubbing this show and not jumping on it! It’s an incredible and an incredible comedy in one! There’s pretty much no decent podcasts out there for this as well so they’d get great numbers 
  • dan2988 said:
    The guys are really missing out by snubbing this show and not jumping on it! It’s an incredible and an incredible comedy in one! There’s pretty much no decent podcasts out there for this as well so they’d get great numbers 

The Watch has an episode dedicated to it each week which is usually pretty good.

The problem with doing a podcast on Succession is the conversation ends up being the same kind of "did you like that burn on so and so" or "what a great performance by that actor" discussions. The plot and any kind of trying to figure out what is going to happen next or what this means for the company or any of that stuff just isn't that interesting for the most part.
    edited December 2021
    dan2988 said:
    The Watch
    The Ringer Prestige Podcast
    Still Watching
    Post Show Recaps
    The Sweet Smell of Succession

I’m subbed to all of them except the last one.
    That said, they’re not Bald Move.

Aron has said many times why he’s been hesitant to watch the show (Jim too), but I think he is planning to dive into S1 at some point.  I just hope that he’s able to see that it goes deeper than the surface appearance of ‘rich asshole problems’.  It’s one of the best shows I’ve ever watched.  I mean, the theme song is my ringtone.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited December 2021
    Holy shit what a great episode. Obviously Kendall at the end … but his dinner with Logan, Shiv and her mom (“I should have had dogs”  :'( :'( )  … and everything with Roman, who I have found to be despicable and fascinating this season. Plus the setting in Italy!
    Michelle
    MrX said:
    Holy shit what a great episode. Obviously Kendall at the end … but his dinner with Logan, Shiv and her mom (“I should have had dogs”  :'( :'( )  … and everything with Roman, who I have found to be despicable and fascinating this season. Plus the setting in Italy!

Incredible episode.
    What is your take on the end?  Would they show this as a cliffhanger if it actually happened, or is it a red herring?  I can see both sides, especially after dinner with his dad.  At the same time, maybe they were just showing us how far he's sunken into despair and that he was at such a low that maybe he was trying to punish himself somehow by trying to feel what he thought the caterwaiter felt when he drowned.  I'll be wrecked though if it did happen.
  • The thought never even crossed my mind that Kendall would be dead. Woke up this morning and it’s all over Twitter and I was so confused. I’d be pretty pissed if that’s how they filmed his death scene.
    Michelle
  • Michelle said:
    MrX said:

Incredible episode.
    What is your take on the end?  Would they show this as a cliffhanger if it actually happened, or is it a red herring?  I can see both sides, especially after dinner with his dad.  At the same time, maybe they were just showing us how far he's sunken into despair and that he was at such a low that maybe he was trying to punish himself somehow by trying to feel what he thought the caterwaiter felt when he drowned.  I'll be wrecked though if it did happen.
    Yea it’s tough to say, the conversation with Logan felt pretty definitive, so i could see him actually dying or like you said just hitting his lowest point and then finally getting out of the company and kind of leaving the show that way. But in the other hand, it seems crazy to not have Jeremy Strong on the show anymore, he’s so so good. 
    Michelle
  • The thought never even crossed my mind that Kendall would be dead. Woke up this morning and it’s all over Twitter and I was so confused. I’d be pretty pissed if that’s how they filmed his death scene.

Same here, I would be shocked if we were supposed to think he was dead after that. I took it as more of an extension of him falling down last episode and telling us that as of now he's not getting back up like he always has before. Him breathing the water like that I think was just to give a visual to his thinking about the waiter after the conversation with Logan, but I don't think he's going to die with his head slightly tilted in the water while on a floaty thing.