What are you playing?

1474849505153»

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Was super into X-Com 2. I found the beginning super satisfying. That wore thin, however. Eventually the aliens just seem to do whatever they damn-well please and it sucked all the fun out of the thing. I know people out there love the game, and I see why they do. But I just don't have it in me. 
  • asmallcat said:
    Been playing Control on game pass. Simple but punchy combat, great and weird visuals, and so far an engaging story. Would recommend. Only complaint so far is that the upgrade components only drop in some zones and enemies seem to appear randomly once you've cleared it so it's a pain trying to get them. 

The combat and the overall story in that game are good but by far the best part is all of the notes and random things around the environment that flesh out the world and the random incidents. I usually never read that stuff in games but Control is on another level
    Oh yeah I've been reading every little file and watching all the fun videos. 
  • Was super into X-Com 2. I found the beginning super satisfying. That wore thin, however. Eventually the aliens just seem to do whatever they damn-well please and it sucked all the fun out of the thing. I know people out there love the game, and I see why they do. But I just don't have it in me. 

XCOM 2 is one of my all time favorites but I started out feeling the same way. I only played through one campaign on easy but it was way too hard without save scumming and I figured it would just be one of those games that's too complicated for me or I just would never get. It's silly but the thing that turned me around on it was watching some streamers play and seeing how they handled certain situations because unfortunately there is a "right" way to play it in terms of basic approach. I think it helps to think of it like one of those complicated board games with a bunch of systems, the first time you play it unless you have someone telling you what to do you're going to make a bunch of mistakes that you don't even realize are mistakes. It started getting really fun on my second and third campaigns where I knew more or less what I wanted and what I was doing and I ended up in about a 6 month XCOM hole.

There are way better guides and I'm not sure how much of this you already know but these are some of the things I didn't realize or think about when I was having trouble:
    • Approach like if an enemy is taking a shot at you, something went wrong. You should strive to take out or immobilize every enemy you expose on a given turn. If you plan on triggering any pods of enemies, make sure your entire team has a combat action available and is in some sort of position. The worst case scenario is you trigger a bunch of aliens with your last move of the turn and they all take free shots at you and you have to deal with them while they're in cover. Ideally you want to scout ahead with some kind of stealth or long range vision and then maneuver your team into a spot to make some kind of opening play like a grenade that hits a bunch of them and ruins their cover or something like that. It all sounds sort of obvious but it's a totally different mindset than my original one which was "move forward, shoot aliens as they appear". The reaper is an absolutely incredible unit for this. Most of the time I don't even end up taking a shot with my reaper until way later in the mission or if I absolutely need to, they're just there to give vision.
    • Full cover > half cover > getting hit by a bus > leaving a unit in the open. Full cover is super important unless you have another advantage like height. They will flank you and it sucks but at least make them work for it.
    • Use grenades. I always figured it would be better to take a shot and get a chance at the damage but you get a huge advantage if you blow their cover/armor. Remember you have a whole team to take shots, taking a 60% shot with an assault rifle and then like a 65% with a sniper further back isn't nearly as good as blowing up the guys cover and hitting for whatever your grenades are worth, then taking an 85% shot with your sniper with less armor blocking it. Freeze grenades are incredible, you can just take enemies off the board for a few turns. Mimic beacons are also really good.
    • You will have more fun if you just let yourself use the handicaps while you're still getting used to the game. Pre game turn on the option for adding extra moves to those timers, they're ridiculous unless you're comfortable with the game already. Save scum like nobody is watching because they aren't. Doesn't mean don't try and just run ahead and reload when you know where the aliens are, but when shit goes real bad it goes real bad and sometimes you just want to hit rewind a little bit.
    • Don't freak out too much about the overworld timer doomsday clock thing. Even if it fills up you will get a window of time to bring it down and usually you'll have some way to do it. The streamer I was watching left that clock in doomsday mode the entire game and never seemed to even notice it and it stressed me the hell out, but it worked out fine for him.
    • Always remember that XCOM is bullshit. Your brain doesn't understand percentages and the game is actually boosting your hit chances under the hood based on difficulty level, but you WILL miss a 95% shot at the worst possible time and someone will die and that's XCOM baby. You will trigger pods of enemies at the worst time even though you were careful, and you will fail missions and people are gonna die and that's ok.
    No idea if you will read this or if it's helpful but I went into a sort of trance and now I'm about to start another campaign. If you're into watching streamers, this dude Christopher Odd is great at it and seems nice and chill, I enjoyed his campaigns a lot

darwinfeeshy
    That is really cool. Thank you for the write-up as well as the link. I foresee myself jumping back into it at some point. I grew more accustomed to save scumming. I was playing on easy and shocked at how hard it got even with beefed, leveled up soldiers. You are absolutely right about how that stuff happens at the worst time. I was running out of ammo when I would otherwise have an alien dead-to-rights. Aliens would move to essential positions that I didn't even think they could traverse to. It just felt like every time I tried to out-think them, they would do something even crazier.

I would love to play this on a PS5, the load-times on a PS4 are a joke. So loading previous saves was a real chore (and maybe it should be). I will definitely watch streamers, it got its hooks in me proper. Which made it even more harrowing when I started having soldiers drop left and right despite all the work. 
    bizmarkiefader
  • Just wrapped Inscryption and damn, that is something everyone should play. The pitch is you find this floppy disk in sort of mysterious circumstances and you're checking out what's on it. It is more or less a deck building game but that's not really the appeal of it. It mixes in FMV and there's a really insane ARG that only recently got completed including the guy who made the game putting things in physical locations and meeting up with them. It's truly wild. If you want to play it, just go play it, do not look up anything else about it.
    ChinaskiMurderbeardarwinfeeshy
    I'm really looking forward to Inscryption, I just keep waiting for it to come to a platform I can play it on. I've heard fantastic things. 
    bizmarkiefader
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Exo One It's an interesting little physics-y game that has extremely light story but extremely fun traversal and the "puzzle" of each level is how to get to the next one and maybe find some upgrades along the way. It's awesome. Fairly short and free on Gamepass.

Forza Horizon 5 has been fantastic. Yes it's more of what FH4 did but that's not a bad thing at all. Feels great.

And the biggest surprise for me, Cyberpunk 2077. I watched a Digital Foundry video a little while back and they were saying at the time, the Series S version could actually be called the most stable version of the game. Because of the limitations, it has a little less civilians (could have fooled me) and a few other cutbacks and it is more stable than the better consoles.

It was $30 last weekend and after making fun of it for a year, it's been pretty damn good so far. I'm only about 10 hours in but it runs great and I enjoy the world a lot. The characters are all great for the most part. Keanu's delivery of his lines is honestly the worst part and it's okay cause it's Keanu.

I feel pretty damn good about finally making the leap after they have had time to work on it.
  • edited December 2021
    Cyberpunk 2077. I watched a Digital Foundry video a little while back and they were saying at the time, the Series S version could actually be called the most stable version of the game. Because of the limitations, it has a little less civilians (could have fooled me) and a few other cutbacks and it is more stable than the better consoles.

It was $30 last weekend and after making fun of it for a year, it's been pretty damn good so far. I'm only about 10 hours in but it runs great and I enjoy the world a lot. The characters are all great for the most part. Keanu's delivery of his lines is honestly the worst part and it's okay cause it's Keanu.

I feel pretty damn good about finally making the leap after they have had time to work on it.
    That's great! I played through cyberpunk a few months after release (after the first major patch) on my base PS4, and while it wasn't the smoothest of gaming experiences, I never encountered any game-breaking bugs, nor bugs that made me redo a certain section. It certainly wasn't visually optimized, and a lot of the animations were clunky, but it didn't waste my time with crashes.

The story and universe of the game itself is actually really cool. Full-on cyberpunk atmosphere with Keanu, (Mr. Too Cool for School) constantly in your ear. I'd recommend anyone check it out now that it is more stable, cause there's a lot of gold in there.

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Yeah! It runs quite solidly and only one time did I notice a background NPC kind of glitch into the stairs but that can happen in almost any game.

I am liking the story so far. I just did the side mission where you track down the 7 Delamaine cars that went rouge. I thought it was great! I also loved the car that was clearly Glados from Portal.
    Freddy
  • Finally did the login fix! lol. 

GOT A SERIES X AT MSRP! WOOHOO! All it took was having a friend of a friend who worked for Microsoft and got an employee purchase link. Sheesh. 

Control - Really enjoyed this! A good length, very cool world, and solid gameplay. Playing it made me really happy that it was the last hurrah for my release Xbox 1, though, as I would get insane chugging coming out of the pause screen and had probably 5 hard crashes, which I have had maybe 3 total in all other games across the life of this console.

Also, the fake-out end credits before the real end was a lot of fun.

Flynn, Son of Crimson - Downloaded on a lark off game pass (aside - Game Pass remains the single best value in gaming right now. The selection is insane. I haven't bought a game in like 6 months) as I needed another game I could play while the 4 year old was awake. Fun, light little semi-metroidvania platformer. Would recommend to anyone who's a fan of the genre and wants an entry on the easier side. Probably about 4-5 hours to beat.

The Art of Rally - I was excited for this as I wanted a simpler racing game, and while the art style is great, the game was extremely meh. Controls felt floaty and inconsistent and it was weirdly unforgivable when you got off the road. If you were like 10 feet off and angling back on, it would often just kick you back onto the road at a dead stop and give you a time penalty. Didn't end up finishing. 

bizmarkiefaderMurderbear
  • My playing of random gamepass games continues!

Sable - Downloaded it cause the art looked nice and it had a rating that meant I could play it while my kid was awake. A few hours in, and enjoying it so far. Reminds me of Breath of the Wild but with no combat. 

Code Vein  - Answering the question no one asked, "what if Dark Souls was way too anime?" Literally darks souls with bonfires, "souls" (sorry, "haze"), very similar weapon upgrade system, etc. However, there is an interesting class system, it's a good looking game, the combat is pretty good (not as good as dark souls), and I'm always down for a souls-like, so I'll probably finish. If you haven't played dark souls or don't like it, there's no need to look here though, unless you super love anime. 
  • Sable  - Finished (? - at least I was happy ending where I was - because of the nature of the game you can "finish" in a couple hours or spend I would guess 25+ hours exploring every nook and cranny and getting everything). I really, really enjoyed my time with the game, but I don't know if I can recommend it. A beautiful world, amazing art style, a story told through world building and hints to the past and subtle touches, it felt lived in and real but not crowded, every time I saw a new ruin or building I wanted to explore and see what was inside. But I'm not sure how much game is actually in this game. There's no fail state, you can't die, the puzzles that exist are really simple, the physics are a wonky at times, there's some bugs for sure (nothing gamebreaking but stuff like the shop menus not working right and clipping through stuff designed to launch you unless you stand in exactly the right place), and most of the quests are simply go to a place and get 3 things. But I loved the time I spent in its world. It's free on game pass, I think like $20 new if you don't have game pass, give it a try IMO. 

Slay the Spire - As a longtime Magic the Gathering player, surprised I hadn't tried this earlier. Roguelike Deckbuilder is a fun combination, although I've done 4 runs and the one I finished was the daily challenge one which was a bit anti-climactic lol. 
    bizmarkiefader
  • @asmallcat Slay the Spire is still the gold standard for those games but another one I really liked from a couple years ago is Monster Train. It's sort of like a deck building tower defense setup where you place units defensively and enemies come in through the bottom in waves. Steamworld Quest was good too as an airplane/vacation game. A lot of reading but it was a charming game.

Also... if you like deck builders and you have it available to you, you should play Inscryption
  • Inscryption is on the wishlist lol, I'll be picking it up if it doesn't come to gamepass. 
    bizmarkiefader
  • Code Vein  - Finished, and I’m revising my original statement a bit - it is more forgiving than the actual dark souls game, so if you want a souls-like experience that is more laid-back, this is a reasonable place to look. Overall, an enjoyable game.

Superliminal - Installed on a whim off game pass (it’s from the superhot guys), finished in a day, and would recommend. It’s only a few hours long, has clever puzzle mechanics that don’t outstay their welcome, and is just weird fun.
    bizmarkiefader
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    The Forgotten City - This game is really cool. It's another time loop game, but instead of the mystery being why and how do you break out of the loop, one of the first things that happens is a character is like "oh you must be from the future, here's why you're in a loop and what you have to do" which was refreshing. It's basically a thought experiment about collective punishment and how different types of people react to it. The progression is really smart even if it is a bit silly, but you basically never have to repeat anything and never feel like you're wasting time. It's based on a Skyrim mod the guy made and it plays similar to those games so it felt instantly familiar in a lot of ways. I beat it in about 6-7 hours in a couple of sittings and I believe it's on game pass.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    good lord! 68.7 BILLION for Activision/Blizzard. buy 'low' i guess right? haha
    FreddyMurderbear
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Chinaski said:
    good lord! 68.7 BILLION for Activision/Blizzard. buy 'low' i guess right? haha
    Bobby Kotick better buy a cruise ship and covert it to a country.
    ChinaskiMurderbear
    So glad to go from like 7 total media companies to 6. Was really getting too competitive out there
    ChinaskiFreddy
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    $68 billion is an insane number to me (i mean, i know it's MS). in perspective, the highest valued sports team (NYY) is valued at around 5-6 billion. between this deal and the Bethesda deal back in March, that's like $75 billion.
    68 billion is insane. For context, the largest acquisition in the space was a few weeks ago with Zynga at 12 billion. The next largest company they could even acquire is EA and they're at something like 38 billion.

The Waypoint guys have a good long article with a bunch of thoughts in it (https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkp3q8/the-consequences-of-microsoft-buying-activision-blizzard-are-dizzying) and one thing that stood out to me was how Game Pass goes from this cool service to completely owning the space and the entire release schedule, and now Bethesda and Blizzard and Activision and everyone else are all staying out of each others way and everyone is serving the same bottom line.
    Chinaski
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    @Chinaski @bizmarkiefader My favorite remark on Reddit is "68 billion!? I don't even make that in a year!"
    bizmarkiefaderChinaskicdriveMurderbear
  • I 100%ed Metroid Dread recently and started Disco Elysium on Switch. I've enjoyed it so far
    Murderbear
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Played this one over some time off, and thought it was better than the first one, but very similar. If you liked Ori 1 or metroidvanias in general, you'll like this. 

Halo Infinite - It's fine. I'm not a huge fan of the far cry "take over outposts" open world map model, and I think Destiny may have spoiled me for FPS gameplay because nothing feels as good as playing that game did (playing on controller versus K&M doesn't help either I'm sure), and while the gunplay in Halo is certainly solid, it's just not as good. The grappling hook is amazing though, the game looks great, and it's still classic Halo gameplay (I played all the games through Reach) so I'll probably finish it. 

Death's Door - Great. so far. Amazing art direction, really solid isometric combat, charming characters, challenging but not frustrating combat. Devolver has been killing it lately. Observation, Death's Door, Loop Hero, and I hear that Inscryption is good, but I haven't played it yet. 

Also been playing Loop Hero when I'm at my PC occasionally and Golf Story on the switch, and am enjoying both. 
    asmallcat said:

Death's Door - Great. so far. Amazing art direction, really solid isometric combat, charming characters, challenging but not frustrating combat. Devolver has been killing it lately. Observation, Death's Door, Loop Hero, and I hear that Inscryption is good, but I haven't played it yet. 

I put this down a few months ago after doing the first part of it and picked it back up again over the weekend and liked it a lot more. Not having any map at all is a little frustrating but the level design is so good it hasn't been too bad yet. It really forced you to remember paths you have or haven't been down and where they are vs hitting the map button over and over and seeing what isn't uncovered yet like a lot of other exploration based games. I'm still in the easy parts of the game and already getting impatient with some of the fights so I'm not sure if I'll ever beat it, but it's super cool.