Succession - HBO

Comments

• I could see it going either way, myself. The default position is, of course, "They're not going to kill Kendall, no way." But if that is the moment he decides to end his life, I think it makes sense from a character standpoint. He's in the depths of despair again, just like he was at the end of the first season and much of the second. Where does he go from here that doesn't feel like a retread?

On the other hand, it would be quite a distraction from the mistakenly sent "item". Seems like it would undercut a pretty big stumble by Roman. Either way, it's got me eager for next week!
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    In my mind, although it’s extremely sad, it would be a poetic way for him to end his life.  The waiter’s drowning death and Logan’s involvement in covering it up are what has Ken indebted to Logan - even if it only is ever in his mind.  He can’t break free from it no matter what.

On top of that, his siblings are all against him as well.  His mother has pretty much abandoned any sort of loving relationship with him.  He’s not suuuuuuper close with his kids.  His efforts at doing the right thing and taking down his father have failed.  His father risked poisoning his grandson when he thought Ken may have tampered with his dinner (unless Logan knew it was safe and did that just to mindscrew Ken, which I don’t put past him).  He has no money if he tries to just walk away from it all, and with Logan holding that waiter’s death over his head, he can’t walk away anyway without risking prison.

And, of course, the preview for the next ep is so vague.  We have no idea wtf’s going on.
  • All-time face acting from Keiran as soon as he realized what he did.

MichelleMrXTeresa from ConcordNoel
    All-time face acting from Keiran as soon as he realized what he did.

ROMAN!!!!!” :joy:
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I was surprised to see the internet going bananas about Kendall's possible death. I just don't think that is the way this show would handle that. I am not saying its off the table, but it was yet another episode ending on an unglued Kendall. There have been countless of those...there would be a more dynamic way for it to happen. Not to mention you (typically) don't just drown yourself in that fashion. 

That said, one of the few complaints I have with this show is it sort of has shown the range of its cards. All of the fuckery that last season ended on and we are essentially back to the status quo (some changes of course, but more or less). Its entirely possible next episode will throw us for another loop. But I almost don't trust the show to not just redact it again in some way with next season. 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Just watched and holy shit that was good. Kendall is a great character even though he’s a shitty rapper, but honestly it’s time. There really is nowhere else for Kendall to go. And I think it will be fascinating to watch othered deal with his suicide. 

I’ve done a complete 180 on Shiv. She’s just horrible. the way she tried to manipulate Gerry just to get Roman’s board seat. And she didn’t even play it well. Gerry saw right through it. 

And tsk tsk Roman. 

Bottom line…the writing is phenomenal. Can’t wait for the next episode. 
    MrXMichelle
  • Must read Jeremy Strong profile. In addition to Strong there are interviews with Culkin and Cox which gives some great insight into how deep Strong goes into this role (he takes great inspiration from Daniel Day Lewis) and the tension that creates with the rest of the cast and how that actually helps the dynamic of the show.

Michelle
  • Just watched and holy shit that was good. Kendall is a great character even though he’s a shitty rapper, but honestly it’s time. There really is nowhere else for Kendall to go. And I think it will be fascinating to watch othered deal with his suicide. 

I’ve done a complete 180 on Shiv. She’s just horrible. the way she tried to manipulate Gerry just to get Roman’s board seat. And she didn’t even play it well. Gerry saw right through it. 

And tsk tsk Roman. 

Bottom line…the writing is phenomenal. Can’t wait for the next episode. 

Oh yea Shiv is just as awful as everyone else. In addition to taking advantage of the dick pick to fuck Gerry over, she also is just the absolute worst to Tom and after her conversation with her mom she takes it all out on him.
    edited December 2021
    I just had a thought - what if the scene of Kendall face down in the pool is a red herring and the thing that is supposedly shocking and upsetting (per J. Smith-Cameron when she appeared on Watch What Happens Live) is that Gerri is fired as a result of DickPicGate?  I can see why she would tease that as being shocking and upsetting since it is her own character. Another thought is that perhaps Caroline and her new husband will be in a car crash or something else that causes her death.  Remember, Roman & Shiv were asking her about the prenup. Why bring that up if it doesn’t mean anything at all?  

Edit: so I saw on Twitter where someone took a screencap of the wedding day banquet and Ken’s at the table. This is from the ‘in the weeks ahead’ promo. I also screenshot it & zoomed in, and it sure does look Ken, Tom, Shiv, & Roman.

• edited December 2021
    God damn ANOTHER epic banger of an episode. 

Tom Wambgans was Littlefinger the whole time and  THIS IS THE NEW GAME OF THRONES.
    FreddyMichelle

Tom Wambgans was Littlefinger the whole time and  THIS IS THE NEW GAME OF THRONES.

Wait a sec - I didn't pick up on that - was Tom in on it the whole time???  So, Tom was working with Logan and Caroline???
    RyanReeseman
  • Michelle said:

Wait a sec - I didn't pick up on that - was Tom in on it the whole time???  So, Tom was working with Logan and Caroline???
    Yep
    Michelle
  • I am shook. Tom fucking Wambsgans. 

Michelle
    edited December 2021
    Michelle said:

Yep

I just rewatched the scene and wow, I totally missed that pat on the shoulder that Logan gives Tom outside as Tom approaches the room.  And Shiv saw it (I'm pretty sure she did, given the look on her face) but then acts like she didn't.  Bring on the Tom vs. Shiv showdown!

Side note - the Kendall confession scene with Roman & Shiv was powerful AF.
    Just hand Jeremy all the awards now.
  • Michelle said:

Either that or he saw the opportunity when Shiv called him and seized it.

Whatever the case is...

Michelle
  • Logan must have flown Tom to his HQ at the end, right? Because the kids spent the entire afternoon driving while Tom was at the wedding, yet somehow Tom arrives around the same time.  Maybe they're commenting on the power dynamics... the kids take a car and Tom "Free Man" Wambsgans gets a plane.
    Michelle
  • Michelle said:
    Michelle said:

Yep

I just rewatched the scene and wow, I totally missed that pat on the shoulder that Logan gives Tom outside as Tom approaches the room.  And Shiv saw it (I'm pretty sure she did, given the look on her face) but then acts like she didn't.  Bring on the Tom vs. Shiv showdown!

Side note - the Kendall confession scene with Roman & Shiv was powerful AF.
    Just hand Jeremy all the awards now.
    And in his previous scene with Greg he also talks about making a deal with the devil, after the ending it was clear he was talking about Logan. 

Jeremy Strong’s performance during his confession was the standout, but I thought Kieran Culkin was amazing this episode. When Roman finally didn’t submit to hoods dad and he said “love” with tears welling up when Logan asked him what he had, oh man. 
    Michelle
  • That was a masterful finale for probably the best drama of the year.  Just superb storytelling that wasn't cheap or contrived. Kendall's breakdown and confession, the siblings comforting him and their subsequent team up, the final confrontation with Logan and the revelation of Tom's betrayal was amazing TV.  Also some of the best performances from the cast, notably Strong, Culkin, Snook and Cox. 

Making me care about these people is a real feat and what HBO does best, going all the way back to Oz and The Sopranos.  It's just one reason why HBO dramas really stand out from the rest.

I really hope Jim and ARon give this show a chance and podcast the final two(?) seasons.  There's so much meat on this bone to discuss and dissect.  I'm also willing to bet their podcast would top the charts, similar to their GoT and Westworld ones.

RyanReesemanMichelle
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    edited December 2021
    The siblings "comforting" Kendall was one of the best scenes this show's done IMO. The mix of a guy in true despair coming off something of a suicide attempt trying to confess his darkest secret, a sibling who's so detached all he can do is make jokes and try to brush it off, and another sibling who doesn't know what to do with him and is way more interested in the various business related calamities happening around her felt like a moment the show has been building to all season. A great moment in an episode filled with great moments only possible because the characters are so strong, it's wild how much we know about these people and all their motives and insecurities.
    MrXMichellechrisk
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Last couple episodes have been the best this season by far. Especially last night. 

Small quibble though - in retrospect Tom was or should’ve been unnecessary to Logan. He was keeping the kids in the dark for a reason. The only reason he’d do that is either he knows what they’ll do and that they can stop him or he’s afraid he’ll cave. That last option would be interesting and sort of where I hoped it might go when Logan 
    had that lost look on his face once Roman left him and Mattson. 

Felt to me like they played it as if the deal with their mom wouldn’t have happened without Tom’s warning which I don’t buy from Logan. 

Loved all the sibling stuff though and it’s maybe the first time in a while I felt like I could root in any way for them. At the same time I’m happy for Tom, who’s also a shitheel. What a weird show. 
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    The siblings "comforting" Kendall was one of the best scenes this show's done IMO. The mix of a guy in true despair coming off something of a suicide attempt trying to confess his darkest secret, a sibling who's so detached all he can do is make jokes and try to brush it off, and another sibling who doesn't know what to do with him and is way more interested in the various business related calamities happening around her felt like a moment the show has been building to all season. A great moment in an episode filled with great moments only possible because the characters are so strong, it's wild how much we know about these people and all their motives and insecurities.
    What’s so frustrating and interesting about these characters is how they can’t help themselves. They can’t be thoroughly decent and they also can’t not try and comfort their brother. Sometimes I get bored with it but then episodes like this one it’s so enjoyable. Same for last season’s episode with all of them taking on the boat after Roman gets back from his hotel and he tries to ask for sympathy and they can’t help but mock him. It’s sad but also funny and one of the few times I thought they seemed comfortable together like a family. 
    Y'alll....... :heart:

This is without a doubt one of my fav tv themes ever.  It's currently my ringtone.  It makes me want to learn to play piano.  It's just beautiful, especially with a bit of a slower tempo.

Golden Globe noms! :star:

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series -- Drama
    Brian Cox, "Succession"
    Jeremy Strong, "Succession"

Best Television Series Drama
    "Succession"

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
    Sarah Snook, "Succession"

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
    Kieran Culkin, "Succession"

Too bad they don't give an award for Best Score for a Television Series - Drama, 'cause Nicholas Britell would so snag that!

And.... Critics Choice Noms! :star:
    (they're just gonna keep rolling in for this incredible cast and stellar season)

Best Drama Series
    "Succession"

Best Actor in a Drama Series
    Brian Cox - "Succession"
    Jeremy Strong - "Succession"

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
    Nicholas Braun - "Succession"
    Kieran Culkin - "Succession"
    Matthew Macfadyen - "Succession"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
    J. Smith-Cameron - "Succession"
    Sarah Snook - "Succession"
    Nicholas Braun didn't have much to do this season, at least not on the level of Culkin or MacFadyen. But I suppose they wanted to include as many of the group as possible. 
    I'm so missing this show already! It's going to seem like a lonnnnnnng wait for season 4.

Michelle said:
    I'm so missing this show already! It's going to seem like a lonnnnnnng wait for season 4.

Same. I rewatched most of Season 3 over the course of a few days. And that was after an entire rewatch of Seasons 1 & 2 in preparation for Season 3. It is going to be a hell of a wait. 
    Michelle
    edited January 10
    Jeremy Strong won the Golden Globe tonight for best actor in a drama.  Sarah Snook won as well for best supporting actress in a drama. And, the show itself won best drama series. :)
    Freddy
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    This is what always confuses me about these award shows. Jeremy is considered a lead and Sarah supporting? No wonder this is the last year of the Globes.