Black Mirror Comissioned Casts

[Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section, mods feel free to move it to the proper place if necessary]

I really would love to hear a commissioned cast of all the episodes of Black Mirror, I say all the episodes because if you have seen Black Mirror you know its really nothing like anything else currently on TV....each episode is shot as almost a self contained 45 minute mini movie witch completely unique casts and topics in each episode...so commissioning one episode really would not do the series justice the way commissioning say a episode of the wire or the walking dead would. Here is a official description:

Black Mirror is a British television anthology series created by Charlie Brooker that features speculative fiction
with dark and sometimes satirical themes which examine modern society,
particularly with regard to the unanticipated consequences of new
technologies.[1] The series is produced by Zeppotron for Endemol.

The reason I think it would be a really great podcast series is because every episode takes some blossoming form of technology in our daily lives to its logical and often dark conclusion in 5-15 years out from todays world which makes for a show that really makes you think and raises some interesting questions and discussions with who ever your watching it. I would be fascinated to hear Jim & ARon's take on some of these issues.

Are there any fellow Black Mirror fans that would be willing to throw in on this? Maybe we could go as far as working out a deal with ARon and Jim to cover all the episodes for a slightly discounted price ( $1250 in exchange for covering each of the episodes, but it can be at their convenience over the next year maybe) and we could do a GoFundMe to raise the funds if there is enough support?

I encourage anyone reading this to check out the series for free on Netflix if you have not seen it yet and circling back after you've seen a few episodes. IF it turns out that we dont have enough support to raise enough to cover the entire series than I guess we could bring it to a vote and try to raise the money for the episodes 1 by 1. I have around $100 on it.

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    If I had more cash on-hand, I'd be down. This is one of my favorite discoveries of the past few years. If you are wanting to discuss it more, outside of the realm of commissioning anyway there is a thread here http://forums.baldmove.com/discussion/1015/black-mirror
  • Hey @Garthgou81 ,  I also tried to do a search and could not find any thing/ended up getting a weird DB error....is that typical and is searching working for you currently? If it is working how are you going about searching bc i might just be doing it wrong.

Also I totally agree....its a show that I stalled on watching forever bc it was british and looked weird and I thought there was no way it could really be THAT good considering I had heard so little about it in the states, but its always my go to recommendation when someone asks or posts "What should I watch on Netflix" being that its something very unique, good and its flown under the radar for most people.
  • @ChuckKelly I think the search function has been broken for a while now, at least it doesn't work for me either.

Also, since this is your go-to recommendation for people, have you seen Utopia? It's my go-to recommendation for people who like Black Mirror. ;)
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    Go figure, I was just thinking of bringing this up as I was listening to the last commissioned podcast.

I finally gave in and checked it out on Netflix and it's great. I'd totally be down to chip in if it comes to that.
  • dan2988dan2988 manchester uk
    Hey, I'd happily chip in for that. It's three episodes a series so do you think one commission would cover one series? It's around the same length as a film afterall. Whenever you want.. I'm definitely in for that
    ChuckKelly
    dan2988 said:

Hey, I'd happily chip in for that. It's three episodes a series so do you think one commission would cover one series? It's around the same length as a film afterall. Whenever you want.. I'm definitely in for that

If it doesn't cover a season/series, there are usually 2/3 episodes that are better than a lackluster episode. Like the Waldo episode from the second season/series. That just didn't hit all the marks that some other episodes did.
  • @Garthgou81 ; The Waldo episode itself is not nearly as interesting as the questions & discussion it brings on especially when right now its happening in our own country w. Trump. 

I just had a idea though, what if instead of trying to get them to cast each episode we tried to get them to have 2 long casts, 1 for each season? That seems like the most practical approach bc it will allow for us to hear in depth discussion on the episodes that deserve it or intrigue the guys and less for the ones that dont hit for them.

I think the tail end of the Christmas episode is by far the most interesting. It brings on questions like...

•What happens in a world where the next Elon Musk can have a army of clones of himself inside his laptop as a work force instead of hiring people?

•If when you were born 20 clones of you were made and each of them pursued a different path that naturally interests you what would it be like to be able to see how your life could of played out in all the different ways you ever considered?

•If a clone of you're significant other was made would you be jealous of the clone dating someone else?( If this answer seems obvious to you, ask a few friends...you will be surprised how polarizing of a q it is.)

•If we developed this tech where you could clone your entire mind into digital form, what happens if someone commits a heinous crime and while out on bail makes 5 clones of themselves. Do you have to legally lock up all those cloned minds and can you even lock them up legally?

•If we developed tech where your mind could be put into a computer and someone could make it so that your brain has experienced 40 years of time passing, while your body has only aged 4 minutes would we and should we accept that as a punishment for criminals that have committed heinous crimes?  Is the punishment the act of you having to think about what you did and feeling deprived of freedom or is the punishment suppose to be that a great portion of your life is taken away from you for what you've done? 

• dan2988 said:

Just now seeing this, credit to Dan on this idea. I agree this is the way to go.
    Elisadan2988
  • Man this sucks!  I was just going to recommend this too but just realized it was an infamous "ChuckKelly idea" which means that I'm going to have to disagree with it now. :(
    ryanfoster
    Yeah, the end of that Christmas episode is really haunting. I love it.
    DaveyMacElisa

Just now seeing this, credit to Dan on this idea. I agree this is the way to go.

Yeah I think one cast would cover a three episode series although I think I think the 10 million merits episode is an hour and a half so perhaps not. Maybe @jim and @a_ron_Hubbard could clear it up. If not I'm sure we could figure it out. Like @garthgou81 says the Waldo episode isn't great. We should definitely do this though asap
    edited February 2016
    All are around the same length 45-55 minutes if memory serves. The extra-sized episode is the Christmas special (Black Mirror White Christmas), but it has like 3 different stories in it.

Edit: Just double checked--my bad, @dan2988 was right, the Fifteen Million Merits episode is 61 minutes. In all honesty that would be one I'd be fine with dumping as well, I didn't dig it. But I don't doubt J&A could find some really cool things to discuss on it.

And White Christmas clocks in at 73 minutes. A series total is: 359 minutes, so just under 6 hours. I'd wager that three commissions would be what is required, but the guys themselves may have more to say on the matter.
    That should hopefully mean that one commission would cover national anthem, 15 million merits and my personal favourite the entire history of you. The only thing that troubles me is that the guys wouldnt be able to cover them all in depth in a 90 minute podcast. They could have an extremely indepth and philosophical discussion about '...history of you' for 90 minutes alone
    @dan2988 Definitely agree...I guess it depends on if folks would rather want more in depth coverage on less episodes, or more episodes and less coverage. I think I'd go for the former, personally. But I should probably step out of this conversation now as I just moved and am doing the job-hunt thing, so comissioning podcasts is not something i have in my budget unfortunately.
    Yeah I think I agree with the former as well. If we're paying we may aswell get the best coverage possible. I'll wait for @ChuckKelly
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    edited February 2016
    I'd much prefer the guys add this fantastic show to their list of netflix coverage.  Netflix has commissioned a 12 episode series that is currently in the works.  I think it could probably fill the gap that House of Cards will leave behind, as I fully expect it will be dropped after season 4 whether it is renewed or not.  Not that I'm not willing to pony up for a community commission on this, its just that I would like to see further coverage and to get all episodes including season 3 covered would be something around 9-10 commissions or $2700-$3000 in community commissions.  What do @jim and @a.ron think about this?
  • JimJim
    edited March 2016
    I brought this up with A.Ron the other day and we decided that we'd be willing to cover seasons 1, 2, and the christmas special in just 2 podcasts.  We're going to eventually get Black Mirror up in the shop as a commissioned podcast.  It's just taking a while to get all these products added.

I have no idea how we'd handle a 12 episode run but that's a bridge we can cross when we come to it.  I like Black Mirror a lot so I'm sold on a regular Black Mirror podcast in the style of our House of Cards coverage but A.Ron might hate the show or it might be bad timing for our schedule - who knows?  Can't promise anything about that.
    DaveyMacGeorge
    Awesome news @Jim . Hopefully A.Ron will enjoy the BBC's episodes enough to decide to do a regular cast when it makes its way to Netflix.
    DaveyMac
  • Oh man, I would love a BM "Black Mirror" podcast. The think the discussions that the show would provoke between Jim and A.Ron could be incredibly entertaining and really thought-provoking.
    Anybody else willing to chip in to make the two podcast full coverage that Jim mentioned happen? I will straight away
This discussion has been closed.