SERVER MELTDOWN

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited April 2016 in Game of Thrones
So, funny story.  Friday we doubled our server capacity to ensure we'd be ready for our annual GoT running of the bulls traffic, and our server still got crushed.  We're working to get the Instant Take podcast out tonight and will be working tomorrow to increase capacity again to deal with the growth.  It's a real good news / bad news situation.

Again, we'll get this posted just as soon as we can.  Thanks for your patience!

Elisavoodooratjenandtonic1208JaimieTmanhattnikMichelleksa1001Brawndarthcaedus1138TaraC73and 8 others.

Comments

• TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    Godspeed, good sirs.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited April 2016
    Why you guys so popular? Don't I get a break for being Bald Move starved since Mad Men ended? (I guess there was Better Call Saul, but I got bored.) Damn it! ;)
    manhattnik
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Yeah, when I tried to hop on and saw that the site was down, I figured it was GoT related. Really good news that you guys got such great traffic! Good stuff! Hope its not too much of a pain in the ass to keep things up and running.
  • HollyoakHollyoak Baltimore
    I went to bed after the finale and dialed up Ye Olde Bald Move on the mobile device and couldn't log on.

It's good that you guys are so popular.

• top trending news on Facebook beating out Kim Kardashian...

"Bald Move Podcast popularity crushes servers following Game of Thrones premiere"
    voodooratMichelle
  • Your GOT podcast is in the top 15 overall podcasts in the Podcast app right now; crazy! You're above Joe Rogan. 
    BrawnMichelle
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, we've historically seen a lot of season to season growth (one of the reasons we doubled capacity) but hot damn, this is crazy.  I noticed that HBO GO has a bit of trouble with streaming the latest episode at the Eastern time zone premiere, so even the big boys have throttling issues.

We're meeting with the server admins today to see if we can't optimize things a bit more, because if our feeds are cached correctly, this shouldn't really be kicking our servers in the bean bag as much as it is.  Also seems like part of the problem is that the server might be doing a site-wide cache refresh each time we publish something, which is bad news when you're doing that at 9:50 for the live Instant Take recording, and another 15-20 minutes later for the actual live cast, simultaneously trying to serve up our feeds for 20-30k subscribers.  This might be as easy to solve as having our Instant Take live recording publish an hour before it is actually "live", to give the server time to settle. 
    Brawn
  • elgat0elgat0 Clearwater

Yeah, we've historically seen a lot of season to season growth (one of the reasons we doubled capacity) but hot damn, this is crazy.  I noticed that HBO GO has a bit of trouble with streaming the latest episode at the Eastern time zone premiere, so even the big boys have throttling issues.

As an Eastern Time zone HBO NOW user, I kept getting a Time Zone not available for GOT until 9:10. 

HBO GO is Jim's go to way of watching.  Usually it takes 5-10 minutes to be available, but even then it was like 9:30 before he could successfully stream it.  Had to fall back to the slingbox solution for him.
  • #9 Overall podcast on Podbay.
    Michelle
  • April_May_JuneApril_May_June California
    edited April 2016
    While this sucks that it happened ... what a great problem to have! 
    Congratulations @Jim & @A_Ron_Hubbard !!!    You guys are awesome, and I'm so happy for you!   :)
    Michelle
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA

#9 Overall podcast on Podbay.

God damn! Congrats guys!
    TheEconomistSomeBiscuitjluzaniaDaveyMacahauntedworldDummyStellaMelonuskTonyaA_Ron_Hubbardand 4 others.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Could've sworn I saw it at 7 or 8 earlier on iTunes podcasts. Anyway, it's 9 now. Great news!
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    The Bald Move Train Keeps Rolling in 2016 Faster Then you can say "Who Shit the Sink"!!! Great News!
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    Congrats, guys. You definitely deserve it. It's easily the best and most informative podcast out there in a market over saturated with Game of Thrones pods.

Feels good to see you guys grow.
    DancesWithWookiesFernNYC17Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @Travis that is awesome.  LOL
    Travis
  • Thanks @Michelle! I was psyched that Google Images gave me that picture for it. It was a better picture than I was even hoping to find.

Michelle
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Cool to see Bald Move just hanging out on the front-ass front page of iTunes:

http://imgur.com/AhKr7VC

Will Jim and ARon remember us now that they're big shots?
    MichelleTravis
    I don't feel like a pezzonovante.  It's really incredible and surreal to see how this has grown, especially since the competition for GoT podcasts is so fierce.  
    MichelleTravis
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 2016

Seriously though, congrats guys ... BM's Thrones podcast is evidently charting higher than WTF, Freakanomics, and the entirety of "Channel 33" this week!
    FernNYC17MichelleTravisOliviaDDaveyMac
This discussion has been closed.