Commissioned Podcast Line Up

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited April 2016
    Jim loves Lost if memory serves, maybe if the guys find themselves lacking  content at some point they would consider a retro cast...though as much good TV is out there right now, its hard to imagine. I'd love that though. I've never got around to Lost and this would be a good opportunity.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Melia004 said:

How does a Lost commission work? That show absolutely cannot be summed up entirely without watching it all, and I can't imagine J & A rewatching 120 episodes... Love that show; one of my favorite ever, but I can already hear A. Ron's eyes rolling back :)

We commissioned 3 episodes (Greatest Hits + Through the Looking Glass pts 1&2) at the end of the 3rd season. We picked them with an eye towards being the most appealing to non-fans. The mythology isn't too dense yet, the action is exciting, and it has THAT gamechanging cliffhanger, which I am looking forward to hearing Jim & Aron compare to the Negan debacle.
    MichelleTaraC73
  • Melia004 said:

How does a Lost commission work? That show absolutely cannot be summed up entirely without watching it all, and I can't imagine J & A rewatching 120 episodes... Love that show; one of my favorite ever, but I can already hear A. Ron's eyes rolling back :)

I would do the series finale.  It's a polarizing episode so I'm sure there would be lots of good discussion, and I'm sure Jim and A.Ron would end up discussing the show as a whole at various points as well.
  • jwarner13 said:

Melia004 said:

I would do the series finale.  It's a polarizing episode so I'm sure there would be lots of good discussion, and I'm sure Jim and A.Ron would end up discussing the show as a whole at various points as well.
    That was kind of what I personally would want to avoid, because on its own, the series finale makes absolutely no sense at all.
    Good choices though, although I'm not quite sure how it correlates to Negan...
  • Frakkin T said:

Melia004 said:

We commissioned 3 episodes (Greatest Hits + Through the Looking Glass pts 1&2) at the end of the 3rd season. We picked them with an eye towards being the most appealing to non-fans. The mythology isn't too dense yet, the action is exciting, and it has THAT gamechanging cliffhanger, which I am looking forward to hearing Jim & Aron compare to the Negan debacle.
    End of season 3 might be the greatest stretch of episodes in all of Lost, so that was a good choice. In retrospect, it would've been interesting to see them do the season 1 finale, "Exodus", since that one contains the cliffhanger that the TWD producers are trying to use to defend the Negan decision. As a big Lost fan (the finale wasn't that bad!), I'm preparing myself for A.Ron's take on the series to be...somewhat less than positive. A retro cast would be great to see what they think of the various highs and lows of the show, but given their schedule, it's not something I'm expecting to happen, ever.
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    As one who co-commissioned Lost, I second what @Frakkin T said.  It was the best choice of episodes that would appeal to both fans and non-fans.  It's a great mix of action, emotional drama, and it centers on one of TV's most beloved characters (I might be biased on that).  It doesn't go deep into Dharma, the smoke monster, or the central reasons for the island's powers.  And, it features one of the most memorably iconic meme-worthy shots.    Because of all this, I doubt we'll get much negative reaction from A.Ron (who, if memory serves, has mentioned that he did watch it for a while but stopped at a certain point?).  I know that Jim loved the show, so I'm looking forward to a great podcast to come from this. 

@SomeBiscuit, agree with you re: the finale.  You either get it, or you don't.  
    SomeBiscuit
    Wondering how long it is before someone commissions Purple Rain.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I watched the first two seasons.  I forget what Shum (?) eventually worked out for the details, and I'll get with him again as we get closer to the project. 
    edited April 2016

I watched the first two seasons.  I forget what Shum (?) eventually worked out for the details, and I'll get with him again as we get closer to the project. 

Details?  Do you mean which episodes?  I thought we had let you know.
    TaraC73
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Michelle said:

Details?  Do you mean which episodes?  I thought we had let you know.
    Yeah, it should be in their notes - I am pretty sure I saw it somewhere official (maybe in the commission schedule)

:)
  • Fellow Bald Movers, I'm sorry to disappoint anyone who was eagerly anticipating the possible Starship Troopers podcast.  I was having a hard time deciding what might make for the most entertaining-for-all podcast but when it came down to it, going with Donnie Darko won out.  I'm sure anyone who has seen ST at this point already has thought about the allegories just under the surface and although there is a lot to say about it, my hope is that Donnie Darko may be a movie fewer people have seen but their interest may be piqued enough by the discussion to check it out.  The actors there have mostly all had successful careers to varying degree but based on the very low budget, I have to figure some of them read the script and took the movie as a bit of a passion project as opposed to a paycheck.  If Starship Troopers or Robocop ever came up for a group podcast I'll happily donate to one of those to make up for anyone I may have disappointed.  Hope you all can find something to enjoy with it!
    TravisMelonusk
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited April 2016

@devito99 Ha! Don't apologize dude. Because of you we get a Donnie Darko cast. I was one of the people rooting hard for a Troopers cast, and hopefully someday we can put one together through a group effort, but I think a Donnie Darko one will be really, really interesting. I totally get the train of thought. It seems to be right in the Bald Move wheelhouse. Either way though, you flipped the bill. Who are any of us to complain about it? In giving us Donnie Darko you gave me like 2-3 dog walks worth of entertainment to look forward to. Thank you!

Seeing The Game on the list intrigued me a lot too. That would make for a great cast. If either that or Starship Troopers makes it up to the community commission board (or Clerks for that matter), I'll support them.

FernNYC17
  • Donnie Darko will be fantastic.  Anyone thought about requesting Highlander?
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard. The Lost commission was all Michelle. I don't think I even ended up contributing anything.
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    @Travis I Second that. To me Commission Podcast are my Favorite (right next to the BM Game Watches) for the simple fact that its always a Win-Win for me. Each Commission always falls into 3 categories. its Either going to be. Hey I love this movie can't wait to see what the guys think about it or Hummm never seen this movie let me see what the BM take on it is and finally I'm not a big fan of this movie, but let me see what J&A Think about it.

As you said thanks to @devito99 i get to listen to 2 commutes to work worth of new Entertainment from BM

btw @kojiattwood if Highlander ever made it to the Community Podcast section i would absolutely throw down some shares for it.

TravisDancesWithWookies
    Whoops, I misremembered who actually did foot the bill. It was going to be a community then someone stepped up and did the whole thing and apparently that is Michelle!

Whoops, I misremembered who actually did foot the bill. It was going to be a community then someone stepped up and did the whole thing and apparently that is Michelle!

Hey wait a minute, I had $90 on it!
    TaraC73Michelle
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard. Wrong again. You're thinking of the Buffy commission that I decided to pay for on my own. I just meant Michelle did all the heavy lifting and I believe contributed the most to the Lost commission.
    TaraC73Michelle
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Frakkin T said:

Hey wait a minute, I had $90 on it!
    I had $40, I think. Michelle definitely did the heavy lifting as far as helping us choose what to do and coordinating to get it in the shop :)

Frakkin TMichelle
  • @devito99 My dad used to say "who pays, picks." I really appreciate your choices, thank you for the extra content!
    Travis
  • edited April 2016
    Thanks everybody, I didn't want anyone to doubt my commitment to sparkle motion.
    Frakkin TTravisOliviaDTaraC73FernNYC17Garthgou81Michelle
  • I would throw a few shares on a community cast for Starship Troopers
    FernNYC17Travis
  • Yea Lost ended up being a group commission, I think I threw in 2 shares. I had advocated for the last 3 eps of S3 as well; since ARon got out after season 2, I'm looking forward to his thoughts on the stretch to close out season 3, he'll (maybe - it has been 10yrs!!) already have some familiarity with the general character and plot beats. That's really when the show pulled itself out of the sort of slog it had been in for parts of seasons 2-3.
    Oh christ.  Okay, is there a forum thread that archives the group discussion on what episodes we'd do, or should I send out an email to all the backers?
  • @devito99 Are you having them review the theatrical release or director's cut? This is an important distinction because it changes the movie, the director's cut is like 20 minutes longer.

Personally I like the theatrical version more. I saw it in the theater way back and really didn't like the director's cut the first time I saw it, but I've come around on it a bit (though I still don't like the musical changes). If anyone hasn't seen it, try to at least watch the theatrical version first.

It would actually be nice if they watched both versions and commented on the differences and their favorite. Besides, this isn't a movie that should only be viewed once to review IMO.
    Travis

Oh christ.  Okay, is there a forum thread that archives the group discussion on what episodes we'd do, or should I send out an email to all the backers?

It's in a forum thread, no worries--I seem to have lost my VIP access so I can't link it but the episodes are Greatest Hits, Through The Looking Glass pt 1 and Through The Looking Glass pt 2. That's what we all decided.
    MichelleTaraC73
  • Oh christ.  Okay, is there a forum thread that archives the group discussion on what episodes we'd do, or should I send out an email to all the backers?

lol no worries, I'm guessing you're a just a bit slammed with all things Game of Thrones at the moment.

Here's the old thread:
    http://forums.baldmove.com/discussion/1229/lost-commissioned-podcast/p3
    MichelleTaraC73
    lol A.Ron :) I'm really happy this group effort came together. I appreciate those who pitched in; I love Lost, and know that regardless, we'll just be honored that we have a cast from you two on it. :)
    FernNYC17
    Michelle said:

lol A.Ron :) I'm really happy this group effort came together. I appreciate those who pitched in; I love Lost, and know that regardless, we'll just be honored that we have a cast from you two on it. :)

Cosign.
  • ghm3 said:

@devito99 Are you having them review the theatrical release or director's cut? This is an important distinction because it changes the movie, the director's cut is like 20 minutes longer.

Personally I like the theatrical version more. I saw it in the theater way back and really didn't like the director's cut the first time I saw it, but I've come around on it a bit (though I still don't like the musical changes). If anyone hasn't seen it, try to at least watch the theatrical version first.

It would actually be nice if they watched both versions and commented on the differences and their favorite. Besides, this isn't a movie that should only be viewed once to review IMO.
    I requested the directors cut mostly for the little 'time travel guide' statements they intersperse in there. If you've seen the theatrical movie a few times you figure out who falls into what category but for someone who might only see it once sometimes a little cheat sheet might make that easier. Just hedging my bets there.

This discussion has been closed.