Commissioned Podcast Line Up

1679111216

Comments

  • @devito99  Yeah there's no question the director's cut is much easier to follow, but to me that's what takes away from it, or at least would, on first viewing. The reason Donnie Darko became a classic that led to the director's cut being made is because of the bizarre experience of the theatrical version that didn't explain it that clearly. It had everyone talking about wtf this crazy movie was about. 

    Granted the core of what makes it good is unchanged in the director's cut, and the longer runtime lets it do a better job fleshing out other characters (which I didn't even notice at first til I saw the theatrical again afterwards). But to me it removed too much of the mystery that the theatrical cut leaves you with and therefore shifts the plot a bit. 

    And dammit the theatrical cut's intro song is 10x better.
  • ghm3 said:

    @devito99  Yeah there's no question the director's cut is much easier to follow, but to me that's what takes away from it, or at least would, on first viewing. The reason Donnie Darko became a classic that led to the director's cut being made is because of the bizarre experience of the theatrical version that didn't explain it that clearly. It had everyone talking about wtf this crazy movie was about. 


    Granted the core of what makes it good is unchanged in the director's cut, and the longer runtime lets it do a better job fleshing out other characters (which I didn't even notice at first til I saw the theatrical again afterwards). But to me it removed too much of the mystery that the theatrical cut leaves you with and therefore shifts the plot a bit. 

    And dammit the theatrical cut's intro song is 10x better.
    It's mostly just the podcast time-limiting thing. If you don't have to immediately record your thoughts on something and you have time to ponder there could be some things that dawn on you later that might make you want to re-watch it. When there's a ticking clock so to speak I'd hate for somebody to get confused halfway through and only realize what something might have been trying to say after the cast was recorded. Sure there are benefits to one over the other no arguments here. I've had 15 years though to check something out more than once. Just trying to make things as easy as possible. No factual arguments with you here though on your thoughts. Just a matter of time-limiting practicality. If only we had a Delorean.

    ghm3FernNYC17
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Michelle said:

    lol A.Ron :) I'm really happy this group effort came together. I appreciate those who pitched in; I love Lost, and know that regardless, we'll just be honored that we have a cast from you two on it. :)

    Ditto!
  • It's funny, but the thing that I am most grateful to Donnie Darko for is reminding me what an amazing song Head Over Heels is. I really need to re-watch that one. Great flick.

    ryanfoster
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    I actually just watched Donnie Darko for about the 1927th time a few weeks ago. That movie is great.

    I watch it every few years to see if there's anything else I can catch. Can't wait to hear the discussion around this movie. There's so much going on, and so much to be interpreted.

    Excellent choice devito99.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I was expecting really great things from Richard Kelly (the director/writer) but he just kind of puttered out as far as I am aware. He did Southland Tales and then The Box...but then fell off the face of the earth.
  • Very good use of music in the film. And that Head over Heels montage is fantastic.
    Travis said:

    It's funny, but the thing that I am most grateful to Donnie Darko for is reminding me what an amazing song Head Over Heels is. I really need to re-watch that one. Great flick.

    Travis
  • I was expecting really great things from Richard Kelly (the director/writer) but he just kind of puttered out as far as I am aware. He did Southland Tales and then The Box...but then fell off the face of the earth.

    If he ever needs a paycheck they can always kill off Maggie Gyllenhall in a 3rd one.  Not sure how good any of the tv shows she's been up to are.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    devito99 said:

    I was expecting really great things from Richard Kelly (the director/writer) but he just kind of puttered out as far as I am aware. He did Southland Tales and then The Box...but then fell off the face of the earth.

    If he ever needs a paycheck they can always kill off Maggie Gyllenhall in a 3rd one.  Not sure how good any of the tv shows she's been up to are.
    She is a hell of an actress, but yeah, I haven't heard anything from her in a while either. I hadn't recognized the titles of any of the TV stuff she has been doing.
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    @A_Ron_Hubbard When is the Donnie Darko Podcast dropping? Finished watching it last night. Really looking forward to the podcast.
    DancesWithWookiesMelonusk
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    For anyone watching Donnie Darko, make sure you read the Philosophy of Time Travel. It was in the DVD extras and I'm sure a transcript is online somewhere. Read it and then rewatch, it more or less explains the plot of the film.
  • PSPS Montreal, Canada
    edited May 2016
    If the L O S T podcast is gonna cover up to season 3, I would highly encourage @ARon to just binge it at the very least up to that point. It's one of the most iconic and popular show ever that more or less gave birth to this whole podcasting and fan theorizing/discussion medium. There are shows I regret watching all the way through (ugh Dexter), despite its shortcoming on the mythology front, L O S T remained successful at character development throughout its run. I don't know how seriously I would be able to take that particular podcast if ARon only watched those 3 episodes as standalone and is completely uninformed about everything that happened prior to it. 

    Besides, it's just one of those shows that you need to be able to draw comparisons and references from as part of your repertoire if you're a TV podcaster. It would be like not having watched and not being able to talk about GoT 6 years from now. Just bite the bullet and watch it ARon! You've watched much worse shows in your time. Plus you're a big fan of Lindelof and The Leftovers so on principle alone you've gotta go back and check out his breakout work. 
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I think ARon has said he's gotten through Season 2. I think he would be able to put it all in context.

    The Lost Podcast with Jay & Jack is the reason I'm addicted to podcasts to this day. You always remember your first.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited May 2016
    Jay and Jack were my very first podcast too! I even went to the live final episode viewing they hosted at the Orpheum Theater in LA. Lemme tell ya, watching that final episode with a theater full of Lost fans was a night to remember. A lot more than the actual episode, that's for sure ;)

  • DrKen said:

    I think ARon has said he's gotten through Season 2. I think he would be able to put it all in context.

    The Lost Podcast with Jay & Jack is the reason I'm addicted to podcasts to this day. You always remember your first.

    Robin Pierson, a.k.a. The TV Critic, was my first taste of a more refined look at a TV show, so I have to give him that credit. Bald Move started doing a Breaking Bad 'cast and similarly stood out in a sea of AfterBuzzs and drunks-in-a-bar-style 'casts, and those bastards have me hooked to this day.

    @PS-- I thank you for expressing the "LOST worry"... Personally, I am ridiculously compulsive about a lot of things, and one of them is LOST.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Oh god...Afterbuzz...everytime I read or hear that name I get a bit irked and annoyed.
    TravisMichelleGeorge
  • JayInMemphisJayInMemphis Memphis, TN
    A.Ron,

    I haven't asked since there was some issues with Patreon / Subbable and the portability of credit around the time I signed up, but I wanted to know if my prior donations ($408) qualified for one $250 commissioned podcast plus credit.

    On 2/27/15 I sent $100 to K*****f L******o Enterprises LLC, and have been sending $22/mo since April of 2015. I would imagine this qualifies as $408 in credits if you're still doing $250 to commission a show.

    I was thinking about it recently as I wondered what I might ask you to watch and comment on under that measurement.

    Could you please let me know?

    Thanks
  • michielterlouwmichielterlouw Helsinki
    edited May 2016
    @A_Ron_Hubbard @Jim

    Regarding the Mulholland Drive podcast.
    In the unlikely event that either of you has never seen this movie before, my advice would be to watch it as unsullied as possible. Don't read any interpretation or explanation before watching it. Getting a bit confused/disoriented is part of the MD experience.
    DaveyMacAntManBee
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard @Jim

    Regarding the Mulholland Drive podcast.
    In the unlikely event that either of you has never seen this movie before, my advice would be to watch it as unsullied as possible. Don't read any interpretation or explanation before watching it. Getting a bit confused/disoriented is part of the MD experience.

    Agreed. And may I dare to hope for a Lost Highway 'cast one day? I have been waiting for a reason to watch that again... One of the weirdest movies I've ever seen, for sure.
  • Melia004 said:

    @A_Ron_Hubbard @Jim

    Regarding the Mulholland Drive podcast.
    In the unlikely event that either of you has never seen this movie before, my advice would be to watch it as unsullied as possible. Don't read any interpretation or explanation before watching it. Getting a bit confused/disoriented is part of the MD experience.

    Agreed. And may I dare to hope for a Lost Highway 'cast one day? I have been waiting for a reason to watch that again... One of the weirdest movies I've ever seen, for sure.



    No Ship Network just did an outstanding commissioned podcast on Lost Highway. They had a lot of great insights. I believe they plan on doing a part 2 focusing on listener feedback.

    http://www.noship.net/commissioned-podcasts.html

    Melia004
  • Melia004 said:

    @A_Ron_Hubbard @Jim

    Regarding the Mulholland Drive podcast.
    In the unlikely event that either of you has never seen this movie before, my advice would be to watch it as unsullied as possible. Don't read any interpretation or explanation before watching it. Getting a bit confused/disoriented is part of the MD experience.

    Agreed. And may I dare to hope for a Lost Highway 'cast one day? I have been waiting for a reason to watch that again... One of the weirdest movies I've ever seen, for sure.
    Would love for a cast on Brazil, Wicker Man, and Eraserhead, heh.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH

    A.Ron,

    I haven't asked since there was some issues with Patreon / Subbable and the portability of credit around the time I signed up, but I wanted to know if my prior donations ($408) qualified for one $250 commissioned podcast plus credit.

    On 2/27/15 I sent $100 to K*****f L******o Enterprises LLC, and have been sending $22/mo since April of 2015. I would imagine this qualifies as $408 in credits if you're still doing $250 to commission a show.

    I was thinking about it recently as I wondered what I might ask you to watch and comment on under that measurement.

    Could you please let me know?

    Thanks

    Yeah, send in an email to merch@baldmove.com and we'll research it.  When we shut down Subbable we issued store credit to everyone with an account in the amount that they had as unspent donations.   If you didn't get yours there might have been an issue with your email address or something.  When you mail us, forward us any subbable confirmation you might have, or baring that, make sure you let us know what email the account was under. 
    JayInMemphis
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    FernNYC17 said:

    @A_Ron_Hubbard When is the Donnie Darko Podcast dropping? Finished watching it last night. Really looking forward to the podcast.

    Probably next Thursday.  We delayed it for a week to give us time to get another watch in and research the material more.
    Melonusk
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    PS said:

    If the L O S T podcast is gonna cover up to season 3, I would highly encourage @ARon to just binge it at the very least up to that point. It's one of the most iconic and popular show ever that more or less gave birth to this whole podcasting and fan theorizing/discussion medium. There are shows I regret watching all the way through (ugh Dexter), despite its shortcoming on the mythology front, L O S T remained successful at character development throughout its run. I don't know how seriously I would be able to take that particular podcast if ARon only watched those 3 episodes as standalone and is completely uninformed about everything that happened prior to it. 

    Besides, it's just one of those shows that you need to be able to draw comparisons and references from as part of your repertoire if you're a TV podcaster. It would be like not having watched and not being able to talk about GoT 6 years from now. Just bite the bullet and watch it ARon! You've watched much worse shows in your time. Plus you're a big fan of Lindelof and The Leftovers so on principle alone you've gotta go back and check out his breakout work. 

    Just a comment.  While it's true I watched through season 2 back in the day, people should keep in mind the terms of a commission.  I simply don't have time to watch ~48 hours of television  for ~$350 podcast that I split with the other guy.  Now, I might very well go crazy and do it because I'm moved to for whatever reason; see the crazy depth we're probably going to go into for Darko, and people who commission stuff that we've both seen and love probably get more than their money's worth of commentary out of it, but in general I'm perpetually short on time and still haven't seen all of the Sopranos, Deadwood, or The Shield which are also certainly things I should see to be any sort of professional critic. 

    I don't want to harsh the buzz because hot damn the commissioned podcasts are pretty much my favorite thing to do right now, I just want people to have reasonable expectations for what we can and cannot do.  $300/350 is a lot of scratch and I really hate disappointing people!
    Frakkin THatorianMichelleTravis
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    edited May 2016
    @A_Ron_Hubbard As one of the commissioners of the Lost cast, I can tell you that I don't care if you've seen anything aside from the episodes we chose. It was a process for us all to choose them, and one of the big concerns was picking episodes that would be accessible to the casual viewer or the absolute n00b. As long as you and Jim go into it with an open mind and accept the possibility that you're witnessing greatness, I'm happy.

    EDIT: However if you do decide to take the whole journey, you won't be disappointed. Don't let anyone's opinion of the finale dissuade you.
    MichelleTaraC73
  • Chaps, can I Ask...

    I was considering commissioning commando fro my brother BUT I worry that as it is SO RIDICULOUS there is only so many things you can say about it. I mean, I am sure it'd be hilarious to hear you guys talk about it , but, but i do wonder if it'd be pretty much "yep - this is ludicrous"....

    what do you think? Would you guys love to do it?
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited May 2016
    Well, if you were going to commission an Arnie podcast that would be the one.  Or Predator.  Or Conan.  Or shit, Running Man.  Hard to go wrong.  We recorded quite a bit of content on classic 80's action films on the old Blue Yonder, if you want a free taste. 

    Badasses! Part One and Badasses Part Deux.  Warning: The audio quality is shiiiiit.  Back in our roommate days, that's how we'd spend Saturday nights; getting smashed and watching a random Arnold / Sylvester movie. 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Predator! or make it crowd sourced!
  • Definitely Commando--please don't disturb my friend, he's dead tired.  Plus the main villain is an Aussie in chain mail.
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    @Hatorian I'd certainly go in for a few shares on Predator!
This discussion has been closed.