Anyone a Vikings fan?

ElisaElisa Los Angeles
I really enjoy the Vikings TV Seeies on the History channel. It is returning this month for season 3. I love historical fiction approach and the battle scenes.

Does anyone know of any good podcasts covering this show?

Comments

• I love Vikings. Can't wait for it to come back. One of their episodes has left me scarred for life. It was season 1, where they went to the whatever place it was and certain vikings volunteered to be sacrificed. There have been more violent things in television and movies, but for some reason, that really stayed with me. Strange.

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    The blood eagle episode really freaked me out. I really enjoy the show. I just wish I knew more Viking history to supplement the show.
  • Do a Google search, Elisa. I saw some things a while back that were debating whether vikings did actually do sacrificial ceremonies. Perhaps google Vikings+sacrifice+history or something like that. There is a book I read many years ago called Eaters of the Dead which is one of the better books on the subject of vikings. It is an accepted fact now, that vikings did, indeed, travel much further than we ever thought before, all the way to what would become the Americas.
  • Vikings is very well done. Really enjoy this show. The promos for S3 look fantastic.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I've watched the first two seasons, and will watch season three, but with so much on I might be catch it until after the season is completed, or possibly this summer.
  • Totally agree - Vikings is fantastic. Every episode touches on a dozen or more things I'd like to know more about. For example: how revolutionary their longboat was (apologies if I'm using the wrong name for it); the role of women in warfare and politics; how much of the show is based on Viking mythology vs. history. A good podcast on this would be a welcome companion to the series. And can't wait for season 3!
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Wow, I wasn't paying attention to the category (Other TV), so I assumed this was a football thread. :/

I don't have anything to say about the show, but it is on my list.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I really love the show - although when I first heard about it, and saw trailers, and even the first episode...I was under the impression there was going to be more mysticism and a dreamlike atmosphere. I thought Norse mythology would play into it more, not in blatant way, but in a, you can't tell if it's a hallucination sort of way. And I thought that looked really different and interesting. I do think season 1 was better than season two - just felt like more was going on with them learning about how to navigate the ocean and such. But I do like the early Briton historical parts. And all the Viking history is great, you don't get a whole lot of show's during the medieval period (no game of thrones doesn't count :)).
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Totally forgot that Vikings was due to come back so soon. I refuse to complain about there being too many things to watch.

Vikings is a really great show. I really like exploring this time period in a non-fantasy way.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Our pal Em does a Viking podcast over at the No 'Ship network. I don't watch Vikings, but I've heard their Spartacus cast back in the day and enjoyed it. http://www.noship.net/
    Emmelyne
  • Love this show.

Emmelyne
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Thank you @ARon! Enjoying The Wild Hunt: A Vikings podcast right now. Re-listening to the S2 finale episode cast and ready to dive into their S2 wrapup cast. :blush:
    A_Ron_HubbardEmmelyne
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Here's two solid posts by Mo Ryan from Huff Po 1) pimping Vikings 2) an interview with the Creator with some light spoilers for S3. Enjoy!
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/17/vikings-season-3_n_6700066.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/02/vikings-finale-season-2_n_5241946.html
  • A Viking named Rollo was the gggreat grandfather of William the Conqueror. He was not a know relation to Ragnar but it looks like this season may be based on Rollo's invasion of France. If you're interested in some Viking history, Dan Carlin's Hardcor History podcast has an episode called Thor's Angels that covers some of it. Also, Viking mythology about the origin of the universe heavily influenced Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones).
  • I wanna be Lagertha when I grow up.
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    I wanna be Ragnars wife ^^ :) Anyhow have been a fan of the Vikings since it started. NoShipNetwork are the best for podcasting this imo. Although I would like the podcast to be longer.
    Emmelyne
  • I like listening to Larry Williams talk about Vikings. He has a YouTube channel called Otaku assemble. He's a trip.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    @steph_b link?
  • Looks like he hasn't done any for season 3. Here's a link to his cast on Season 2 finale
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Heres a great link 2 historical authors analyze season 3 episode 1. Very insightful http://sandyquill.com/2015/02/20/two-historical-fiction-authors-talk-vikings-mercenary/
  • Thanks for the heads up on NO SHIP. Much appreciated @a_ron_hubbard
  • edited March 2015
    I've started watching the show based on the recommendations here and so far I'm loving it (I'm in the middle of the first season). For those also watching Game of Thrones, are the Iron-born (Theon's people) based on the Vikings? In any case, I didn't know anything of Viking culture and customs, so I'm finding the show fascinating.
    steph_bElisa
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Haha, the crazy thing is, I just talked to my dad, and he's all in on this show.  All the shit I tell him to watch, year after year, and nothing, and this is the thing he picks up?  He kills me sometimes.
    Spookycat4steph_bElisaHatorianEmmelyne
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I keep seeing this thread and thinking "nah, I'm a Patriots fan" lol ;)
    steph_b
  • We had to convince my son-in-law that Ragnar Lothbrok was not a good name for my new grandson. LOL
    steph_bElisaAmelia
  • Whats worse? Naming your kid Ragnar or Khaleesi?
    Amelia
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    The iron born are based on pirates and vikings but still different.
    Amelia
  • I'm in love with legartha
    steph_b[Deleted User]Elisa
  • Thank you A.Ron for suggesting No Ship Network (The Wild Hunt) to everyone here. I am going to throw lots of love your way when we record today.

Vikings fans: we have an interview with Amy Bailey (Princess Kwenthrith) that we posted last week. You can listen to it at noship.net.

Em
    [Deleted User]Elisa