Magnolia

MichelleMichelle California
edited June 2016 in Movies
Excellent, truly great podcast on Magnolia, full of insight and introspection and self-awareness. This movie is one of my all-time favorites, not only due to the stellar lineup of cast members but the depth of emotion in their performances as well. I've never been a big Tom Cruise fan but this is one of maybe three roles he's played where I really like what he brought to the table (the others being Jerry Maguire and Vanilla Sky). I also really appreciate and recognize you both laying your truths out for the world regarding your family dynamics. Sometimes it isn't easy but it can almost be cathartic to do so. I, too, identify with a couple of these same circumstances that comprise the storyline, in terms of the family and how cycles repeat from generation to generation & how decisions parents make affect their children, so the movie itself was pretty impactful. I'm so glad it was commissioned. Keep it up, guys. :)

NikkiPkojiattwoodz74alDummy

Comments

• I really liked this movie when I saw it and the podcast made me want to watch it again.
  • Michelle said:

I've never been a big Tom Cruise fan but this is one of maybe three roles he's played where I really like what he brought to the table (the others being Jerry Maguire and Vanilla Sky and Collateral)

• z74alz74al KS
    edited June 2016
    I'm so happy other people enjoyed the podcast. I knew when I got a gift commission that I had to do Magnolia. It's really had a huge impact on me. The discussion was great and deepened my already great appreciation for the film. Thanks so much, @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard for the insightful comments, and @laure506 for making it happen.
    -Alex Myers
    FernNYC17MichelleTravis
  • MichelleMichelle California

Michelle said:

I've never been a big Tom Cruise fan but this is one of maybe three roles he's played where I really like what he brought to the table (the others being Jerry Maguire and Vanilla Sky and Collateral)

Hey!  I never said Collateral!  lol 
    (Sorry, wasn't into it!)
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    I really enjoyed the podcast but was floored that @Jim didn't know who Robert Altman or Jason Robards was. 
    DrKen
  • The only thing I've seen by Robert Altman is Popeye and I didn't know he directed that until I looked him up.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Jason Robards was a brilliant actor. He was just about perfect in everything he did. I especially liked him in this movie, but he really stands out in Philadelphia as Tom Hanks' homophobic/a-hole boss, and in The Civil War tv miniseries from like 25 years ago (he played Grant).
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    Michelle said:

Jason Robards was a brilliant actor. He was just about perfect in everything he did. I especially liked him in this movie, but he really stands out in Philadelphia as Tom Hanks' homophobic/a-hole boss, and in The Civil War tv miniseries from like 25 years ago (he played Grant).

My favorite was Parenthood.

~ You worry too much....you always did ~~

...that's being a parent neatly in a shell...perfect...
    Michelle
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I was proud of this one, and it's always nice to further the degree in Social Jim Studies I'm working on.
    MichelleFernNYC17z74alNikkiPhisdudeness915
  • Michelle said:

I've never been a big Tom Cruise fan but this is one of maybe three roles he's played where I really like what he brought to the table (the others being Jerry Maguire and Vanilla Sky).

Tom Cruise gets the most unfair rap out of any actor in Hollywood as far as I'm concerned. He has a great eye for projects and is underrated as an actor. Aside from the three excellent movies you reference, I would highly recommend Collateral, Minority Report, Mission Impossible (all except the second), Rain Man, Edge of Tomorrow, War of the Worlds, Tropic Thunder, and Interview With the Vampire. I honestly think there are very few actors who have a much better track record. Scientology and personal relationships aside, the man has been a major part of a lot of damn good movies and has always had a great attitude. I highly recommend his Nerdist interview to anyone who wants to know more about him.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Tom Cruise is a very talented actor who often doesn't bother doing more than just Tom Cruising through movies. He is amazing in Magnolia, Born On The Fourth of July and Interview With The Vampire.

I don't think he's under-rated at all - people know he can act and he's hugely successful.
    NikkiP
  • I'm waiting until I get a chance to re-watch Magnolia before I listen to this one, but based on the comments here I'm super excited.
  • Michelle said:

Once Upon a Time in the West is a timeless classic.
  • I had not seen this movie, but was really disappointed by it. Hopefully the podcast will give me a better appreciation of it.
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Two places to see Jason Robards, All the President's Men and Metallica's "One" video.  There's a brilliant documentary on Robert Altman done by HBO, I believe, called "Altman."  It's worth seeing for any fan of cinema. 
  • Can't get that damn Aimee Mann song out of my head again. Thanks, assholes :)

I'm glad I've seen this movie before because that's the only reason I listened to the podcast. In all honesty, this was one of the podcasts where you probably didn't even need to see the movie to appreciate it. This was closer to  "good radio" which is always compelling. 
    Andrew StadlerMichelle
  • Huge fan of pretty much all the podcasts you're doing, but I was apoplectic while listening to this podcast, and I had to create an account here just to rant about how much I HATE this movie.  Oh my lord, I hate this movie.  It is the most unsubtle piece of irrelevant, overwrought melodrama I've ever seen.  I had seen it first back in like '05 and just thought it was dumb, but after re-watching it a few months back, I was just in shock, like mouth agape throughout, at how much I hated it.  All the performances are ham handed, slap-you-in-the-face EMOTIONS!!! Julian Moore is ok, though. The music, or score, is way too dominant, driving all this tension that doesn't exist on the screen.  There is no plot, but some of the little subplots are embarrassingly stupid, like the cop and that lady making these intense declarations of love after talking for like ten minutes total throughout the day.  The deus ex machine is totally contrived and means nothing.  Just one of those stupid magic-realist things.  Like Oceanwalker in Arrested Development, "No! Deep is good! People are going to say "what the hell just happened?" and I'd better say I like it because nobody wants to seem stupid!" The script is far from realistic, and it's not just that little kid's speech, it's the way every single character basically monologues at whoever is standing across from them.  I won't rant anymore, but oh man...Jim, at one point in the podcast, says that he didn't feel the emotional weight of anything that happened.  Trust that feeling.  This movie is hollow, trite, emotionless, pseudo-intellectual garbage.

Great podcast, though!

Andrew Stadler
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Ha, but tell us how you really feel!  It's always fun to be the only person in the room that loves/hates a movie.  I've been there on both sides many a time.  
    Andrew Stadler
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    Yeah. I wasn't a big fan of this movie either.

Jason Robards is great in Parenthood also.

"You worry too much. You always did."
    Andrew Stadler
This discussion has been closed.