Teach @A_Ron_Hubbard how to cook

Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
edited November 2016 in General
Are there any other chefs out there?  We cant allow @A_Ron_Hubbard to keep eating boxed mash potatoes!  Serioulsy man, mashed potatoes are super easy, they only take 20 min., if you pot on the stove before you fry your steak in your cast iron pan you can time it perfectly!

• 2lbs. potatoes( washed and quartered)
  • 6-8 Tbls. melted butter
  • 3/4-1 cup of either milk, half & half, or cream(depends on how decadent you want them)
  • salt and pepper
  • *optional*- 1/2 cup sour cream
Put potatoes in pot, cover with cold water put on high heat till boil then simmer 12-15 min.  Drain and put back in pot(or kitchen mixer)
add butter first and mash, once butter is blended add milk salt and pepper and finish mashing.  they should seem a little loose, but just like a steak they need to rest, put the cover back on the pot and the residual heat should allow the potatoes to absorb the moisture and fluff up.

Please dont ever eat boxed mashed potatoes, unless your in an Apocalyptic situation!
Michelle

Comments

• My recipe is similar, for Thanksgiving however:
    I boil garlic with the potatoes, drain as normal, mash as normal
    Use whipping cream (not whipped cream).  Heavy cream is also good.  Your potatoes will be so creamy!
    Add Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese after you've mashed, and mix well. The Parm adds some flavor and the Mozzarella adds texture

Notes:
    Russet potatoes are what you want for mashed.  I read the reasoning before, it has to do with the way the starch binds.  I generally throw in some washed - but not peeled - purple potatoes for the color (purely asthetic)
    Don't let anyone tell you how you made your potatoes wrong.  Creamy or lumpy, however you like them is correct
    Vasilnate1Michelle
  • yes russets are great, also Yukon Golds.  I try to avoid mashing red potatoes, they are to waxy and starchy, very easy to over mash and you end up with wall paper paste.  
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If you guys do a video podcast of you making a Blue Apron Box...

Please?
    Vasilnate1Michelle
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    We did a spot for Blue Apron. We're doing more in the spring. Anyway, I'm the primary cook of the house, I know how to make them, but 20 minutes (more like 45), is a long ass time to spend mashing taters!
  • need to work on your efficiency then, cooking has a lot to do with time management
  • also you dont need them every night, maybe twice a month.  1.5 hrs. a month making real food for your family, seems OK to me
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @A_Ron_Hubbard that's why you have kids - recruit them to mash the taters with an old school masher with a handle (no electric mixer!). They can get a little messy and feel like they helped. :)
    Vasilnate1ceburaska
  • @Michelle thats what im saying!  get the kids involved, cooking is a great skill to have
    Michelle
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Hey, if y'all can peel, cube, boil, and mash potatoes in 20 minutes, hat's off to you!
    Vasilnate1
  • don't peel, you said you like the skin, that saves 10 min
    MichelleA_Ron_Hubbardweeniegirl
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    My family loves mashed potatoes - we have them at least two times a week. I suck at peeling potatoes - it takes me a half hour to peel and dice. I tried these and yeah, sure, they cost $2.39 for one meal as opposed to ~ $5.00 for a 10lb bag of whole potatoes but when you're making supper for 5 people between getting out of work and driving to two different kids practices you take time savers where you can get them.

These are delicious! 13 minutes in the microwave, some milk, butter, salt &pepper and beaters and you've got a damn fine bowl of whipped mashed potatoes!! Sometimes i add some garlic and make with cream instead of milk - heavenly!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Vasilnate1ghm3Travis
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    TaraC73 said:

My family loves mashed potatoes - we have them at least two times a week. I suck at peeling potatoes - it takes me a half hour to peel and dice. I tried these and yeah, sure, they cost $2.39 for one meal as opposed to ~ $5.00 for a 10lb bag of whole potatoes but when you're making supper for 5 people between getting out of work and driving to two different kids practices you take time savers where you can get them.

These are delicious! 13 minutes in the microwave, some milk, butter, salt &pepper and beaters and you've got a damn fine bowl of whipped mashed potatoes!! Sometimes i add some garlic and make with cream instead of milk - heavenly!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#GreatMom
    Vasilnate1Michelle
  • Feed all your kids black pudding
    Vasilnate1TaraC73
  • I cringed at the stuffing discussion.

Stuffing is my favorite T-giving entree. My wife makes my Mom's recipe and it is a butter-fest sausage sensation.

I'll grab the recipe and post it here in the hopes that it continues because I have 3 boys and I suspect it ends here.
    MichelleTaraC73
  • ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)
    exactly, that 20 minutes is about 10-15 mins of boiling - you're not staring at it the whole time, you are doing other tasks. It's all about scheduling!
    Vasilnate1
  • Did not expect a thread on mashed potatoes to generate such traction 
    hisdudeness915Vasilnate1MichelleFrakkin TTaraC73Dani_ArmindoTravisweeniegirl
    Thanks @Frakkin T
    @DrKen I would love the recipe! Stuffing is my weakness. When I was pregnant with my youngest, I ate stouffers almost every day... I am always on the lookout for yummy stuffing ideas! My mother in law makes a heavenly one with linquicia, green peppers, onions and red pepper flakes. *drooooool*
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Ahh hell, just do what my family does and leave the sides to the fine folks down at the Kentucky Fried Chicken.
    Michelle
  • I love green bean casserole
  • For someone looking to get into cooking, I highly recommend "The Food Lab" which is run by Kenji Lopez-Alt. He breaks down recipes using the scientific method; I often search his stuff first when looking for a recipe. Recipes run the gamut from simple to complex. He also came out with a book recently that has all kinds of great techniques. I think for a guy with an analytical mind like ARon it might be an appealing way to up his cooking game.

Vasilnate1Michelle
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Strangely enough I ended up being the one who made mashed potatoes yesterday. They turned out pretty amazing, I thought. 
    Vasilnate1Michelle
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited November 2016
    Also, as others have said: why peel the potatoes? I just give them a good scrub before cubing and boiling. The skin softens up and breaks up ... plus adds a bit more fiber! If you put in enough butter milk etc. you wont even notice the skins, and you saved yourself much time and effort!
    Vasilnate1
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    You peel potatoes because that's what a bunch poor sons of bitches did during their entire military careers. It's how you support the troops.
    Vasilnate1Michelle
    MrX said:

Also, as others have said: why peel the potatoes? I just give them a good scrub before cubing and boiling. The skin softens up and breaks up ... plus adds a bit more fiber! If you put in enough butter milk etc. you wont even notice the skins, and you saved yourself much time and effort!

You peel the skins because otherwise you'll spend your entire supper picking them out of your five year old's bowl LOL!

I sometimes make red skinned garlic mashed and I don't peel those. Mmmmmm those are a heavenly taste. I'll have to add them to our menu this week.

Vasilnate1