Books

1235»

Comments

• Lush Life- Richard Price. I loved the book Clockers a decade ago. I love the Wire. But this gentrifying Lower East Side murder slice of life from 2008 meanders and doesn't go anywhere. Well written and easy to read but I could've given it a miss.
  • aberry89aberry89 California

Speaking of read-alongs, ....
    i don't know if you anyone watches ComicBookGirl19 on youtube - my guess is maybe because her claim to fame is doing these big long videos on the the GOT houses and their history.

Anyway, she is going to be doing a read-along Dune series. It's a book i always have wanted to dive into but I've always felt somehow unprepared. I really want to appreciate it, but the text is pretty dense, so that's why i am thrilled she is doing this! There will be discussions about after each chapter. She is a HUGE Dune fan and really knows her stuff so I thnk I will be in good hands.

I will update a link here when the series drops. 
    amyja89DaveyMacceburaskaGredalBee
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Read "Stories of Your Life and Others" by Ted Chiang. I wanted to read Story of Your Life before watching Arrival since it's based on that story. The entire collection of short stories is fantastic. He is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers. I'd live to see some of his other stories adopted into movies or short films.
    DaveyMac
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited March 2017
    I accidentally fell into a Patrick O'Brian hole.  I don't know why I read the first book, because I had a lot of books waiting to be read, but I did it and now I'm almost through #10, The Far Side of the World.  Which may or may not come in handy when we do the upcoming Master and Commander movie commission.

Once I escape this, I kind of want to read the first book or two of The Expanse series, since the show is so good.  A book club sounds good in theory, but for it to generate enough popularity to be "worth it" it would have to relate somehow to a project we're doing, which is why The Winds of Winter would be such a good fit.  Or if we expand our The Expanse coverage, maybe something like that.

I also had 2-3 utopian fiction books recommended to me when I wondered the last time why we never get utopian fiction, Star Trek aside, it's always dystopian nightmares where everything goes wrong.  Very curious about that.  Also, both Jim and Cecily are on my ass to read Ready Player One.
    Doctor_Nick
  • Dee said:

Adrian said:

I'm sure someone has asked before, but have there been any bald move book podcasts? I'd love to hear a book club style one.  I know doing the winds of winter on the GoT podcast was mentioned but I think it would work for other books too, either divided up into chapters or focusing on a whole book.

Nope. Jim's not a big reader and I guess they're too busy with movies and TV. There was a casual read along of a Stephen King book in the forums a year or so ago (The Shining, I think? I can't remember offhand - it's 6am here and pre-coffee), but nothing really since.

Fair enough. A forum book club style thing would be good.  I often find the one thing missing about books I read is no one to talk to about them!  Been to a couple of books clubs but a lot of people drop out and the book choices haven't always been great.
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Adrian I'm not sure about regular old novels, but if it's a fantasy/sci fi/horror kind of book and you start a thread I could pretty much guarantee there will be people here who want to chat about it. :-)
  • Yeah, you need to read Ready Player One. Even wth the JW thing, as a gamer it will probably hit enough of your nostalgia + gaming tropes to make it a great read.

I accidentally fell into a Patrick O'Brian hole.  I don't know why I read the first book, because I had a lot of books waiting to be read, but I did it and now I'm almost through #10, The Far Side of the World.  Which may or may not come in handy when we do the upcoming Master and Commander movie commission.

Once I escape this, I kind of want to read the first book or two of The Expanse series, since the show is so good.  A book club sounds good in theory, but for it to generate enough popularity to be "worth it" it would have to relate somehow to a project we're doing, which is why The Winds of Winter would be such a good fit.  Or if we expand our The Expanse coverage, maybe something like that.

I also had 2-3 utopian fiction books recommended to me when I wondered the last time why we never get utopian fiction, Star Trek aside, it's always dystopian nightmares where everything goes wrong.  Very curious about that.  Also, both Jim and Cecily are on my ass to read Ready Player One.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I borrowed No Country for Old Men and GGRM's book about Dunk and Egg from the library.  I'm going to start NCFOM tonight.  It seems like it will be an easy read because the letter font is pretty large.  I'm always curious what the changes are from book to movie.
  • ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)
    @Adrian I would love to commission the duo to read some Borges short stories, as they are so short I'm sure they could read three or four in a day.
    Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius ranks with Little, Big (John Crowley) in my pantheon of mind blowing books, but has the advantage of being only 2% as long.
    @aberry89 I will have a look at that as Dune is incredible. The later books are uneven and none hit the same heights as the original, so I may check out if she continues to Messiah, Children etc. Although I quite liked Heretics.
  • American Gods- Neil Gaiman. Very creative riff on Sandman like themes of old gods alive and walking amongst humans in American. The protagonist isn't the most compelling dude and it certainly meanders (586 paperback pages worth) but it eventually satisfies. The side effect of having me brush up on various ancient pantheons during reading was a bonus.
    darwinfeeshy
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Finished The End Of Alice, incredibly disturbing in pretty much every way.

Have just started The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom.
  • When Gravity Fails- George Alec Effinger.  (Cult) classic of 1980s cyberpunk, still holds up very well. Takes place in a city in an ascendant Muslim world with a high tech, low life vibe with strong echoes of hard boiled detective fiction.

• aberry89 said:

Speaking of read-alongs, ....
    i don't know if you anyone watches ComicBookGirl19 on youtube - my guess is maybe because her claim to fame is doing these big long videos on the the GOT houses and their history.

Anyway, she is going to be doing a read-along Dune series. It's a book i always have wanted to dive into but I've always felt somehow unprepared. I really want to appreciate it, but the text is pretty dense, so that's why i am thrilled she is doing this! There will be discussions about after each chapter. She is a HUGE Dune fan and really knows her stuff so I thnk I will be in good hands.

I will update a link here when the series drops. 

This sounds neat. I've read all of the dune books probably 15 years ago, and a large portion of it probably went over my head. I'd likely get a lot more out of them now, but having a series to follow along would be awesome.
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited September 2017
    Just finished up "East of Eden" and I thought it was fantastic. It's funny though as one of the characters is named Aaron, but he ends up spelling it Aron and I had a hard time with it at first, as I was just picturing A.Ron and pronouncing it that way as I read.

Now I'm on to "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchet and Neil Gaiman. Really enjoying it so far. Quite funny.
    CretanBull
  • I put "The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark" by Carl Sagan in my Amazon wishlist months ago based on A.Rons recommendation and started it this morning. I'm already enjoying it so much! 
    DaveyMac
  • I love "The Demon Haunted World"!
    jazzminawa
This discussion has been closed.