US General Politics Discussion Thread

Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited April 2017
    ^
    If your lawn actually makes it into a magazine I'd be legitimately curious to see it.

I feel like the term "nuclear option" gets thrown around a lot for things that, while definitely serious, are not as serious as the actual nuclear option in which literal millions could die.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited April 2017
    Well looks like Syria is about to heat right up. On a related note this has got to be somewhere in the top 10 most eventful 100 days of presidency.
  • http://www.vox.com/2017/4/6/15215376/alt-right-trump-syria
    In a "surprising?" occurance it turns out Trump found the one thing that could actually piss off his alt-right support. This has been a very strange few months.
  • Don't even know what to think at this point. I want to stay off of Twitter and news for self-care reasons, but I'm afraid if I look away too long everything will be on fire when I turn back around.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline

Don't even know what to think at this point. I want to stay off of Twitter and news for self-care reasons, but I'm afraid if I look away too long everything will be on fire when I turn back around.

That's me too, and I think a lot of people. It's not good for our anxiety level, but it's a GREAT sign that so many of us are engaged with what's going on in the country. A big part of how we got into this mess is public complacency. 
  • April_May_JuneApril_May_June California
    edited April 2017

Don't even know what to think at this point. I want to stay off of Twitter and news for self-care reasons, but I'm afraid if I look away too long everything will be on fire when I turn back around.

I feel the exact same way!

And @Frakkin T - I agree with your reply, and while I'm horrified at everything that's going on, I'm glad people are paying attention. I was definitely one of the complacent, but now I try my hardest to stay informed.
  • back in december i basically shut off facebook--i unfollowed everybody except a handful of family members.  it actually wasn't to deliberately shield myself from news, it was just to try to get a little more focused on the people and things most important to me.  i still avidly follow the news, via facebook (trending stories), various podcasts including political ones, and regularly reading news stories.  i don't use twitter or any of the others really, if i want to burn time online sort of idly i come here or go to reddit.

for the most part it's a less...  exaggerated source of information than directly from peers.  still opinionated, especially the podcasts, but not so hyperbolic.  although my facebook feed not following anybody now feels like a desert.
  • I basically have never really got into social media: Don't have a Facebook or Twitter and barely use things like Instagram, and I haven't really regretted that decision given the number of arguments people apparently get into over those platforms, I've also mostly given up on cable news given that's it's usually ratings driven instead of actual substance. So most of my news just comes from regularly reading news online from NPR, or Politico, or Propublica and then listening to discussions on podcasts.
  • TIL the Nazis first weaponized Sarin gas.
  • Like, it's not even that hard to not screw up, just fucking do a google search like "Did the nazi's use chemical weapons" before you speak. How has no one realized they need to double check this shit before someone says it live after everything that's happened?
  • honestly, you've already kind of got a knowledge gap if you have to google that.
    KingKobra
    edited April 2017
    trippy said:

trippy said:
    That said this made me laugh so hard:

Just throwing this up again because it slayed me this afternoon. The internet is on point with satire these days. 
    Russia gate seems to be coming to a head. There's a lot of buzz on twitter, all these rumors about tapes that implicate Ivanka or about Giuliani and Page already having flipped. Obviously it's hard to fact-check your twitter feed, but just the buzz around the story and the tone of it has shifted so much in the last week. The drip drip is a steady stream now. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Trump associates in handcuffs by this time next weekend. And if you'd believe half of what I've read, you are going to be very surprised at how many people are going to get swept up in it. Remember that the Russians hacked the DNC and the RNC but they never released any RNC dirty laundry. That's their leverage, and I believe they have been using it to blackmail certain members of the GOP. Maybe a lawyer can correct me, but I don't think "I was being blackmailed" is going to be a viable defense when the charge is aiding and abetting a coup. 

DeeTaraC73
  • I'm still doubtful this will happen that fast, even Watergate took at least a few years. Also I doubt the House or Senate Rpeublicans care enough to take it seriously.
    Alkaid13 said:

I'm still doubtful this will happen that fast, even Watergate took at least a few years. Also I doubt the House or Senate Rpeublicans care enough to take it seriously.

I'm not saying 45 will be out of office next week, only that we'll start seeing arrests in the next week. When he leaves office and whether he resigns or is impeached will depend on how much detail comes out in the press. The optics of even just one of his close people being carried off in handcuffs will be devastating.
    TaraC73
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    edited April 2017
    The question I have is: what will Trump do ahead of one of his people being arrested to try and divert our attention!? He's already dropped a MOAB, and launched how many tomahawks? What's left for him to do!? *shudder*
  • I bet if there's any coordination it's going to end up being after the fact, that there was no quid pro quo.  The Russians hacked stuff on general principles, to see what they got and to have the ability to create chaos.  They may have decided with the Trump team the best way to sow chaos after they already had the info.  We'll see how dumb the Trump team members are and what kind of provable, specific information they had about what the Russians possessed and how they were releasing it.   
  • ga-6 representing!  interesting to have so much attention paid to our district (even if *really* the outcome is mostly symbolic).  this must be what it feels like all the fucking time in ohio but with stuff actually on the line.
    jazzminawa
  • I did my part. Lizard people power!
  • voodoorat said:

I did my part. Lizard people power!

Don't lizards eat rats? :p
    Brawn
  • Death to lizard people!
    Brawn
  • damn.  so close and yet so far.
  • voodoorat said:

damn.  so close and yet so far.

Just don't forget to vote in the runoff as well. Don't lose hope ;) it was never going to be easy in "red" area, but the results should be energizing if anything.
    weeniegirl
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Lyndsey Graham saying that if the shit goes down with North Korea that would be problems for China, Japan and South Korea but not for the US.
    Senator Graham what about all the US servicemen and women stationed in South Korea?
  • I'm not entirely concerned with NK just yet. Seems like a lot of posturing and bluster especially seeing as most experts in the field don't predict war anytime soon. I mean maybe Trump could decide that war would make home more popular or Kim could blow a gasket after having enough of Trump's shit but it doesn't seem to be in either countries interest right now. Granted something should probably be done about DPRK before they actually develop Nukes but I'm not sure what just yet.
This discussion has been closed.