303 - Crazy Whitefella Thinking

124»

Comments

• edited May 2
    I thought this was the weakest episode of the season, so far. It wasn't bad, but they definitely padded it out. 

I think The Leftovers is starting to get a little too out there. If the next episode doesn't start to bring things tighter, I think I might just wait until the season is finished to watch it. This episode felt too self-indulgent, even by The Leftovers standards.

• edited May 2
    I'm having a hard time understanding the criticisms towards this episode, while the second episode has unrelenting love and 5 pages of fake names.  Episode 2 was uncharacteristically gimmicky and as someone who is also concerned with pace, the need to wrap up Lilly, Erika, and the Wu-Tang trampolines was tedious and I'm 99.9% sure they have no relevance to the bigger picture in Australia.  When we're approaching the half-way point and Kevin Sr. is still the only Garvey down below, I'm looking at the indulgent "Perfect Strangers" with dead mackerel eyes.

So "Crazy Whitefella Thinking" rolls around, an honest to God Australian episode that deepens the mythos and makes connections to Kevin's purpose, but it's probably the least liked episode so far.  I don't know, it seems like this moved us forward a lot more than the "Nora still hurts" type of episode.
    hypergenesbceburaska
  • MrXMrX CO
    GredalBee said:

I'm having a hard time understanding the criticisms towards this episode, while the second episode has unrelenting love and 5 pages of fake names.  Episode 2 was uncharacteristically gimmicky and as someone who is also concerned with pace, the need to wrap up Lilly, Erika, and the Wu-Tang trampolines was tedious and I'm 99.9% sure they have no relevance to the bigger picture in Australia.  When we're approaching the half-way point and Kevin Sr. is still the only Garvey down below, I'm looking at the indulgent "Perfect Strangers" with dead mackerel eyes.

So "Crazy Whitefella Thinking" rolls around, an honest to God Australian episode that deepens the mythos and makes connections to Kevin's purpose, but it's probably the least liked episode so far.  I don't know, it seems like this moved us forward a lot more than the "Nora still hurts" type of episode.

Yea not to tell people how to watch a show, but those expecting the Leftovers to "tighten up" and "focus" in these last episodes on some definitive ending ... not sure how they've been enjoying the Leftovers all this time.

I thought this fit perfectly thematically with this season, and actually did do a lot to world-build the mythology of the departure.
    Elisaphoenyx1023Melonuskhypergenesb
  • @pavlovsbell - I am pretty sure Kevin Sr mentioned that it was a synthethic drug, which would explain the extreme length of the trip... I'm no expert, but I've never heard of anything lasting longer than peyote/mescaline, which would be maybe a week, tops.
    Elisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    The best thing about this episode was the authenticity of the Auspost employee - dead-eyed, obstructive, and completely unhelpful.

MelonuskGredalBeeJimvoodooratVasilnate1hisdudeness915ElisaDaveyMacAussieGregdavemcband 2 others.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited May 3
    “You could – you could make a version of The Walking Dead that is a lot like The Leftovers, but it probably wouldn’t be The Walking Dead anymore.” - @A_Ron_Hubbard

It would be In The Flesh.

P.S. I'm amused by the delighted shock of so many at how "an actress I've never heard of" delivered such a powerful performance. Lindsay Duncan is a very well known British actress. Expand your horizons, Americans! ;-)
    ElisaKela15ceburaska
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    OMG DEE YES. YES A MILLION TIMES. In the Flesh!!!!!  

I shouted out for that show a couple years ago now, I think it was, right around when Walking Dead was beginning to tank and told A.Ron and Jim, hey, if you want to watch a quality zombie program, here ya go. 

Also, I knew Lindsey Duncan, and I am a brutish American!  (I don't think the guys take in a lot of British TV, much to their detriment, *cough* *cough* In The Flesh! *cough*

DeeKela15Melonusk
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @aberry89 Im wondering if you don't get that much UK TV there aside from the prestige BBC kind of stuff?

And yeah, I really miss In The Flesh. Best zombie show ever.
    Kela15
  • Since the topic of spoiler policy was brought up in this week's 'cast, my two cents...

It is 100% correct to compare keeping sports scores secret to keeping show plots secret, obviously. Don't listen to a Leftovers podcast if you don't want Leftovers spoilers, right? That is fairly intuitive a policy; however, the fact is that spoilers for any random show can and will be dropped freely on a 'cast not associated with those spoilers, with *no warning*. LWJ&A conceivably can spoil anything, albeit not usually in a blatant manner. I'm not trying to suggest that this is wrong, just that you kind of have to learn this the hard way...
    KingKobra
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    edited May 3
    I was thrilled that this episode referenced two of my all-time favorite films: The Last Wave and Walkabout, and particularly so with the great David Gulpilil who starred in both! I could feel it in my waters that he would make an appearance when Kevin Sr explained that he was looking for a Christopher Sunday. I only hope David will grace our screens again to give Kevin Sr. (or Jr who knows????) the last song from the "afterlife" or perhaps from the dreamtime?

The man and the burning VW beetle was one of the most arresting scenes from Walkabout. As was the scene of Kevin Sr in the phone booth in the sudden storm (The Last Wave if I remember correctly).

The Last Wave:

Peter Weir talks about The Last Wave:
    DeeDaveyMacElisa
  • Dee said:

@aberry89 Im wondering if you don't get that much UK TV there aside from the prestige BBC kind of stuff?

BBC America is the only outlet to get BBC programming, so yes we stateside don't get much of what is aired across the pond ;) there are other ways to get it, but legally it's importing discs or BBCA.
    Dee
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    KingKobra said:

Dee said:

BBC America is the only outlet to get BBC programming, so yes we stateside don't get much of what is aired across the pond ;) there are other ways to get it, but legally it's importing discs or BBCA.
    BBCA is the big one, but there are other outlets for UK & international productions like PBS, HBO, Sundance/AMC, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. I recognized Lindsay Duncan from her work in the last decade: Rome, Sherlock, The Honourable Woman, Doctor Who, Black Mirror, and The Hollow Crown, but my goodness, I see she's been around for decades.

The Returned/Les Revenants is the best zombie show I've seen, although I quite enjoy iZombie.  
    KingKobraElisaDaveyMac
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Rome! That's how I knew her the most, but I've seen her around.

Love Les Revenants. Great ending too, and I was worried about that when I waited between seasons.
    ElisaDaveyMac
  • KingKobra said:

Dee said:

BBCA is the big one, but there are other outlets for UK & international productions like PBS, HBO, Sundance/AMC, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. I recognized Lindsay Duncan from her work in the last decade: Rome, Sherlock, The Honourable Woman, Doctor Who, Black Mirror, and The Hollow Crown, but my goodness, I see she's been around for decades.

The Returned/Les Revenants is the best zombie show I've seen, although I quite enjoy iZombie.  
    Yes it's growing for sure, but really it's the "main shows" from BBC ;)
    Dee said:

Before streaming, there was pretty much only BBC. Although I was introduced to British Comedy like Faulty Towers from my grandma on VHS. And when I got older, I would usually find a show or movie I liked that was British, and sort of follow the actors work, like for instance, I saw "Shaun of the Dead" when I was in high school - I looked up Simon Pegg, followed his work and sort of all those early 2000's british comedy circle,  which led me to Spaced, which led me to Mighty Boosh, which led me Garth Marenghi and so on and so forth ;)  @Dee ;
    ceburaska
  • DeeDee Adelaide

KingKobra said:

Dee said:

Oh, wow - how did I forget Les Revenants? Now I'm torn.
    JaimieTDaveyMac
    Kela15 said:

I was thrilled that this episode referenced two of my all-time favorite films: The Last Wave and Walkabout, and particularly so with the great David Gulpilil who starred in both! I could feel it in my waters that he would make an appearance when Kevin Sr explained that he was looking for a Christopher Sunday. I only hope David will grace our screens again to give Kevin Sr. (or Jr who knows????) the last song from the "afterlife" or perhaps from the dreamtime?

The man and the burning VW beetle was one of the most arresting scenes from Walkabout. As was the scene of Kevin Sr in the phone booth in the sudden storm (The Last Wave if I remember correctly).

The Last Wave:

Peter Weir talks about The Last Wave:

Oh my god, I need to see this. Peter Weir is one my favorite directors, how did I miss this one??? Dude has made some of the most INCREDIBLE movies - Truman Show, Fearless, Master and Commander, Dead Poets Society, Picnic at Hanging Rock...ahhh the list goes on.
    Kela15ceburaska
  • Hey guys, I noticed that during the podcast you mentioned SR in Perth and he sees the chicken. I also saw a couple of comments about this is what he saw on the TV. If you watch it again and watch the scene from International Assassin they are at different times. In IA Kevin Sr says that he hopes this is real because he is tripping balls on Gods Tongue and tells them to keep the fire up so he can keep talking to Kevin Jr.

In this Crazy Whitefella Thinking he says he wakes up/ comes out of the tripping on Gods Tongue and he didn't remember any of the past two weeks and the first thing he sees after he has come down is Tony the Chicken
    ElisaMelia004KingKobra
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    Dee said:

The best thing about this episode was the authenticity of the Auspost employee - dead-eyed, obstructive, and completely unhelpful.

He also wouldn't have given him the package without ID, they love screwing with people! the most unbelievable part of that interaction was that Kevin Sr ended up with the package in the end. 
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    davemcb said:

Dee said:

He also wouldn't have given him the package without ID, they love screwing with people! the most unbelievable part of that interaction was that Kevin Sr ended up with the package in the end. 
    Haha, I literally turned to my daughter at that moment and said, "No way would a real Auspost staffer have given him that package without ID!" That was the only thing they didn't research properly.
    davemcbElisaceburaska
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    Dee said:

P.S. I'm amused by the delighted shock of so many at how "an actress I've never heard of" delivered such a powerful performance. Lindsay Duncan is a very well known British actress. Expand your horizons, Americans! ;-)

Agreed. Love the cast but can't stand speculation that some director made Scott Glenn a good actor.

The guy was Alan Fuckin' Shepard. He was in Silverado and Silence of the Lambs.

If anything somebody slapped somebody and said "HEY! WE'VE GOT SCOTT GLENN OVER THERE!!"

That said. Didn't much care for this episode.
    ceburaska
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited May 6
    Thank you @Dee!

I finally listened to the cast today while mowing the grass today and I had to stop I was laughing so hard at this feedback question - "was it the writing or the performance (from an actress I've never heard of) that made this so good?" and "why can't the Walking Dead do stuff this?" 

Well, take Scott Glenn (50 years of acting experience - in several Academy Award winning movies, who recently killed it on Daredevil, a performance no one seems to remember, whatevs) and add Lindsay Duncan, a British actress with 40+ years acting experience, who's resume is full of home run performances - most recently on Honourable Woman, and take some of the best writing we've seen on TV in the last 20 years (okay, so this is a matter of opinion, but Lindelhof has his fair share of home runs on LOST ("The Constant" anyone?); then add fucking Mimi Leder to direct, who frankly could have set up a camera, pointed it at a single room and never moved it and it would've been great fucking episode, but she is an insanely talented director. This is a god damn murderer's row of talent, and we ask "Why can't The Walking Dead do this? 

DeeDaveyMacElisaMelonuskceburaska
  • MrXMrX CO

Thank you @Dee!

I finally listened to the cast today while mowing the grass today and I had to stop I was laughing so hard at this feedback question - "was it the writing or the performance (from an actress I've never heard of) that made this so good?" and "why can't the Walking Dead do stuff this?" 

Well, take Scott Glenn (50 years of acting experience - in several Academy Award winning movies, who recently killed it on Daredevil, a performance no one seems to remember, whatevs) and add Lindsay Duncan, a British actress with 40+ years acting experience, who's resume is full of home run performances - most recently on Honourable Woman, and take some of the best writing we've seen on TV in the last 20 years (okay, so this is a matter of opinion, but Lindelhof has his fair share of home runs on LOST ("The Constant" anyone?); then add fucking Mimi Leder to direct, who frankly could have set up a camera, pointed it at a single room and never moved it and it would've been great fucking episode, but she is an insanely talented director. This is a god damn murderer's row of talent, and we ask "Why can't The Walking Dead do this? 

Seriously. Say what you will about the end of Lost, but at its peak it was one of the most emotionally powerful shows I've ever seen, particularly seasons 4-5.

And Mimi Leder is one of the best directors of the last 30 years. I've been catching some ER reruns and she did so many complex and riveting "long takes" before True Detective made them cool. So glad she was able make a comeback with The Leftovers.
    Elisahypergenesb
  • Fun Fact: Lindsay Duncan (Gloria) plays Alice in 3 Episodes of Perfect Strangers. Connection or coincidence? 
    hisdudeness915
  • ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)
    @Jeff G im afraid it is a different (British) show, sorry bout that. Wish it were otherwise.
    Ok....wow what an episode. Possibly my favourite Leftover episode so far. And without Matt or Nora!
    And GODDAMN. I wish I were watching this at only a couple of days' (not months') delay.
    Scott Glenn. Lindsay Duncan. Incredible.
    And, is there something wrong with me? I laughed out loud so many times...when Kevin Sr landed on Chris...wow...I nearly busted a gut.
    Magnificent.
    And....this is how to do stand alone episodes. If they are good, it is good. If not, well it is Walking Dead. I say that as a, sort of, TWD fan.
  • ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)
    Songlines by Bruce Chatwin. Even if it is not an authentic understanding it is still an incredible book.