US General Politics Discussion Thread

Comments

• If this story is true, then things are about to get very, very serious:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/white-house/article151149647.html

Flynn is probably the biggest issue right now. He may be "flipped" for easing of sentence. The how wide does it go may depend on the when the campaign/staff knew Flynn was a compromised person (if they did which seems likely).
  • edited May 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    I dunno I made the name up when I joined "the high road" (a gun owners forum) years ago and since then just kept using it every time I joined another forum. I was born in Seattle so there you go, if you live in a small town no ones heard of you use the closest major city to describe where you live
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reading the transcript of the tape, the "Putin paying Trump" thing is clearly a joke and a kind of funny one--although there's usually a little kernel of truth in comedy (the joke being about how it doesn't make any sense that Trump is so deferential towards Putin).  They also talked/joked about how the Russians were obviously trying to help him during the election with the DNC hack and weaponized leaks.
  • On another note, has anyone but me ever wondered if Melania didn't move to the White House right away simply because she wasn't confident it was going to work out for Trump there? :P

lol yeah don't to make barron switch schools twice in one year, that's hard on a kid...
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited May 2017

If this story is true, then things are about to get very, very serious:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/white-house/article151149647.html

It's almost like there's a *reason* why there are conflict-of-interest laws that are supposed to constrain officials' behavior.

Even the most ardent Trump supporter has to wonder why--excuse my French--the fuck he had such a long-lasting hardon for this fuckup Flynn whom he was warned about from various people repeatedly.
  • I don't understand the partisanship in this case. Easy for me to say because I'm a "liberal", but why doesn't everyone want to get to the bottom of all this?
    weeniegirl
  • voodoorat said:

Reading the transcript of the tape, the "Putin paying Trump" thing is clearly a joke and a kind of funny one--although there's usually a little kernel of truth in comedy (the joke being about how it doesn't make any sense that Trump is so deferential towards Putin).  They also talked/joked about how the Russians were obviously trying to help him during the election with the DNC hack and weaponized leaks.

• I haven't read the transcript, but it does sound like a joke. But someone in that room taped and leaked it. Maybe someone took it serious.
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited May 2017

I don't understand the partisanship in this case. Easy for me to say because I'm a "liberal", but why doesn't everyone want to get to the bottom of all this?

I think that there's a level of confidence that Mueller will do that.  He's a Republican, but has no history at all (that I'm aware of) of being hyper-partisan.  He probably isn't the left-leaning person that the Democrats would have wanted, but he also isn't the party-first stooge that Trump would've wanted.  All things considered there's reasons for everyone to think - at this point anyway - that the process will be fair.

Trump - can declassify and release highly sensitive intelligence to a known Russian spy, but can't release his tax returns because of that darn audit - he's just powerless to do anything about it!

He should just openly state his tax returns are his business and most people would accept that. Really tax returns mean nothing. No body puts direct evidence of anything illegal on tax returns. Especially not a business like his which probably has a fully dedicated firm of CPAs and lawyers on staff. The real issue is simple enough, tax returns would reveal too much about his operations to competing businesses
    If keeping his tax record secrete is that important to him he shouldn't have run for office that has a historic expectation to release them.
    There isn't a historic expectation, it wasn't until Spiro Agnews problems that it became a thing to release tax returns.

I dunno I made the name up when I joined "the high road" (a gun owners forum) years ago and since then just kept using it every time I joined another forum. I was born in Seattle so there you go, if you live in a small town no ones heard of you use the closest major city to describe where you live

Ah gotcha, I was just wondering if it meant something about Seattle.
    EMN are my initials
  • There isn't a historic expectation, it wasn't until Spiro Agnews problems that it became a thing to release tax returns.

Right, and it's been the expectation ever since including the last election.  Remember when he promised that he would release them?  He understood what was expected, but we know the value of a Trump promise...

Knightowel99
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Every time I hear Trump talk to the media, I think of this.

• I guess Jason Chaffetz has had enough!

Not really "new" he announced he'd be leaving early awhile ago ;)
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    It is a timing change, he's now planning to leave earlier than previously expected. Not hard to see why, his district isn't exactly pro-Trump so his reelection chances are slim if he adopted a defensive strategy at this point but it's also not a good look for him to challenge Trump either given his popularity amongst the wider Republican base. Better to get out now and return when the political climate has cooled down.
  • KingKobra said:

I guess Jason Chaffetz has had enough!

Not really "new" he announced he'd be leaving early awhile ago ;)
    I had seen that he might step down as head of the Oversight Committee but not that he was leaving the House entirely.
    News hit that he made the decision a couple of weeks ago (maybe more). Only difference is that andefinitive date it set. 1st it was he wasn't running again, then it was he'd be leaving before his term was up, then t changed to "imminent"...
    Alkaid13 said:

It is a timing change, he's now planning to leave earlier than previously expected. Not hard to see why, his district isn't exactly pro-Trump so his reelection chances are slim if he adopted a defensive strategy at this point but it's also not a good look for him to challenge Trump either given his popularity amongst the wider Republican base. Better to get out now and return when the political climate has cooled down.

I'm sure Chaffetz was very vulnerable in a district he won by 50 points..... 
    He's not vulnerable in so far as reelection chances, he's vulnerable of losing his chances at a higher office if he makes the wrong choices and pisses off the wrong people in Washington which is a very real possibility as the House Oversight Committee during a particularly turbulent period.
    I mean he probably would like to spend more time with his family but he probably also would rather distance himself just in case things shake out real bad.
    CretanBull
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited May 2017
    Alkaid13 said:

I mean he probably would like to spend more time with his family but he probably also would rather distance himself just in case things shake out real bad.

I think that's right - he knows what's up, doesn't want to be the one to bring things down and apparently has the integrity to not be a stooge and look the other way.
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    hmmm.... nothing new here today?  well I guess everything must be fixed #merica
  • hmmm.... nothing new here today?  well I guess everything must be fixed #merica

Define "new" ;)
  • trippy said:

Alkaid13 said:

I think that's right - he knows what's up, doesn't want to be the one to bring things down and apparently has the integrity to not be a stooge and look the other way.
    Eh he's pretty much a piece of shit. 

He's against same sex marriage, wants to eliminate NPR, opposes net neutrality, presented false information/lied during planned parenthood hearings in 2015, a climate change denier and wants to stop the EPA from regulating greenhouse gases, he's the 'these people need to choose between an Iphone and healthcare' guy, voted against re-authorizing the Violence against Women Act,  and i'd add that he's an anti-vaxxer but he's such a waffler its pointless.     And now.. for some reason unknown to anyone but him, he doesn't feel like he needs to finish out his 2 year term as a representative.  BOy I bet the people that voted for him would have liked to have known this several months ago. 

Have I mentioned he's a piece of shit?

Oh for sure - I definitely didn't mean to leave the impression that he was a good guy, I was just giving credit where credit is due (to some extent!). True integrity would be doing his actual job, but falling short of that it's better that he step down than be a stooge.
  • It can take decades to change practice. Now there's the 00s generation of doctors who were trained that "Pain is the Fifth Vital Sign" and were subject to patient quality surveys.
This discussion has been closed.