The Man in the High Castle

2»

Comments

• JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    Does anyone know if Jim and/or Aron have seen this? I think I remember Jim saying he has and that he liked it, but I'm not positive.
  • I just watched this show and I love it, can't wait for season 3
    Elisa
  • Wow. Great news. Thank for sharing. I have been waiting to hear a release date for some time now.
  • edited July 2018
    Yes! I love this show, even if "alternate future where Nazis control the US" feels a little closer to home than it did a few years ago. 

Edit - anyone out there who read the book find it pretty disappointing after watching the show? I know I did. Well-written, but just far less fleshed out. 
    Elisa
  • asmallcat said:
    Yes! I love this show, even if "alternate future where Nazis control the US" feels a little closer to home than it did a few years ago. 

Edit - anyone out there who read the book find it pretty disappointing after watching the show? I know I did. Well-written, but just far less fleshed out. 
    I never finished it. Made it through the first chapter and got bored. Maybe I'll listen on Audible one day.

Side note: Why is this show okay, but a show where the Confederacy still exists an anathema? 
  • rkcrawf said:
    asmallcat said:

I never finished it. Made it through the first chapter and got bored. Maybe I'll listen on Audible one day.

Side note: Why is this show okay, but a show where the Confederacy still exists an anathema? 
    I think because the confederacy show was announced during the height of the debate over the flag and the monuments, and at a time of a resurgence of anti-black racism in this country. The confederacy also feels a lot closer than Nazi Germany (or at least, a lot closer than Nazi Germany did when Netflix first announced the show). 

I think it's also partially about the push for more diverse views and characters to appear on TV, and instead we get another show by a couple white dudes about "what if the south won?" 

I don't have strong feelings either way about it, but as a white straight dude I'm not the sort of person who's alienated by the sorts of characters and stories that get put forward in pop culture. 
    rkcrawfElisa
  • Season 3 has dropped. Watching the first episode.  
    KingKobraElisa
  • Has anyone else finished season 3 yet? What did you think? FIrst off, I super appreciated the 30-minute episode summing up the first two season, because I usually only vaguely remember previous seasons, especially if it's the binge-style show instead of weekly. This was amazing, I wish more shows did it!
    Spoilers from now on:
    I think the season dragged quite a bit, mainly in the first half, the second season was a lot more enjoyable. Some things were very easy to predict, such as Juliana would travel at the end, and I also suspected from quite early on that to be able to travel the person would have to be dead in the other world. Which makes me wonder: when Tagomi traveled last season to visit his family, wasn't it the deal that they were estranged? I don't exactly remember. Surely they would have been way more shocked if he came back from the dead. Did other-Tagomi die without the family finding out? Or is he the exception to the rule?
    Other things were quite unexpected for me, like both Frank and Joe Blake dying. Killing off one main guy is shocking enough, but two? Either way, to be honest, I like Wyatt a whole deal more than either of them, so I'm happy with the trade-off. Himmler getting shot was a nice surprise. And Helen saying to John "I'm running away from you", wow, that was a gut punch. John continues to be one of the most fascinating characters for me, but not quite as much as in season 2. This can be said of the whole season, I think it was a step down, but hope they can turn it around in the future, I'm still interested in watching it.
  • I expected the death of John’s son would have made him turn against the Reich by now it seems like they’ve hinted at it for a season and a half.
  • devito99 said:
    I expected the death of John’s son would have made him turn against the Reich by now it seems like they’ve hinted at it for a season and a half.
    I think that's bound to happen. I also had the disctinct feeling that he had intented to travel through the machine to be with his son/bring him back. He looked kinda crushed when Hawthorne told him his other self needs to be dead for him to be able to travel.
    I might have imagined this but I thought when Helen asked what really happened to Thomas they were hinting at the possibility he might still be alive/experimented on. I hope that's never going to happen though.
  • Reni said:
    devito99 said:
    I expected the death of John’s son would have made him turn against the Reich by now it seems like they’ve hinted at it for a season and a half.
    I think that's bound to happen. I also had the disctinct feeling that he had intented to travel through the machine to be with his son/bring him back. He looked kinda crushed when Hawthorne told him his other self needs to be dead for him to be able to travel.
    I might have imagined this but I thought when Helen asked what really happened to Thomas they were hinting at the possibility he might still be alive/experimented on. I hope that's never going to happen though.
    However many seasons it ends up going I’m guessing John’s turn is the cliffhanger we end up with in the season finale of that next-to-last season right after we find out one of his daughters is a carrier of the same disease.  I agree I think we will definitely see Thomas again from somewhere else.
  • @Reni Thanks for highlighting the 30-minute recap, I did not even know about it, and it convinced me to give S3 a shot. (I really need that recap) Rufus Sewell is why I watch, I love the way he holds that internal tension. 
    Reni
  • For those of you who are interested... 

"The Man in the High Castle *and* Philosophy"...

https://www.amazon.com/Man-High-Castle-Philosophy-Subversive/dp/0812699637/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540866185&sr=8-1&keywords=the+man+in+the+high+castle+and+philosophy

Even if you don't buy a copy, please check out the reviews... they're the best.
  • edited October 2018
    @JoshuaHeter Gotta love it when people do something stupid/don't pay enough attention and their solution is a 1 star rating. Also, was this a sneaky promo for your own book? ;)
    JoshuaHeter

• ... apparently it wasn't so sneaky. :)

ReniElisa
  • @JoshuaHeter Yeah, I was like: hmm, Joshua Heter... this name is familiar somehow. And then: WAIT A MINUTE, this is the guy I'm replying to!
    Anyway, I might pick it up. I have the Game of Thrones and Philosophy but I never managed to get through it entirely (classic case of what Jim & Aron discussed on the last lunch of just losing steam and then forgetting about it). But I think I might be more inclined to read this, because while there is a huge lore for GoT and Westworld, The Man In The High Castle is not as widely discussed so I might get more out of it.
    JoshuaHeter
  • Haha... I reported abuse on the two comments where they 1-starred because they didn't read the complete title of the book before ordering. I'm not sure if admissions of stupidity qualify as abuse under Amazon's terms of service though.
    JoshuaHeter
This discussion has been closed.